Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• if you want wood in your sporty car ,something the R/T does not have and are looking for a car that is a little more refined ,look at the 2002 300 M or 300 M Special. The R/T is nice but the 300 M is just a little more upscale. Actually the 300 M is a better car to go up against the TL than the R/T.
  • Ok, why do all Intrepids, Concordes and such have bad windshields. I just recently received a 2001 Intrepid for a work car and have to turn it back in because of the windshield. What I mean is, did Dodge in there infinite wisdom polarize the windshield to the extreme to reduce glare or something. Its like looking through the old glass settled wavy windows at my granmothers house. I thought it was just a bad windshield until I rode in three other Intrepids and a Concorde. My eyes cant adjust to looking through that f-uped piece of glass. My vision is 20-10 so when I am driving along it is like I have someones prescription glasses on and it makes me sick. Talk about eye fatigue and apparently I am not the only who has had this problem. I have spoken to another person that had their windshield replaced 3 times because of it. Too bad because it is a good looking, handling, fun car to scoot around in. Well thats about it, my only gripe about the Intrepid. Take care....
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    on my intrepids i only noticed that looking glass stuff on the edges of the windshield, never really bothered me...
  • Can't say I've had any complaints with the one in my 2000 R/T. Try adjusting the seat higher or lower is all I can think of to try.
    hey all, get a load of this. for '02 dodge is offering a 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty on the neon but does no such thing for the other vehicles. however, there is a catch. you have to get the $1100 dollar "buyer security package". hummm...at least that package does include more than just the extended warranty. it does contain some things like side airbags, etc. what do you guys think of this? i think dc needs to pull their head out and offer the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty on all vehicles as standard, not just on ones where it is trying to boost sales!
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,026
    I think that's kind of dumb, especially now that sales of all Chrysler products, except for the PT Cruiser and Jeep Liberty, are sagging. As a general rule, don't the domestic makers actually lose money on every Focus, Neon, and Cavalier they sell? Seems kinda dumb to try boosting sales of a loss leader, unless it's for CAFE reasons.

My '00 Intrepid now has about 51,000 miles on it, and has only had one warranty repair: the power lock actuator in the driver's door was replaced at 35,200 miles. Powertrain-wise, I've had no problems whatsoever. I don't think it would cost them much more to make the powertrain warranty good through 5yr/60K miles, or even something longer. It might create some losses for the dealer however. For example, if my '00 had a better warranty than the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper, I might have been less inclined to spring for my extended warranty, which boosted thatt to 5/100K.

The only thing I can think of, for the Neon's extended warranty, is maybe they're still having enough problems with the 4-speed automatics to not want to cover them for that long. I've heard that the Neon's 3-speed is the least trouble-prone tranny they build nowadays. But still, I haven't heard anybody complain about a Chrysler tranny for a long time, now.
    andre,

the neon for '02 sports the infamous 41te (4 speed automatic). the old three speed has been ditched, finally!

another interesting note is that chrysler of canada offers as standard a 5yr/60k powertrain warranty on all cars and minivans. don't know for sure about trucks.
  • yup we get this 5 year on all Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles.Everything!!
    you lucky bast****! i can't for the life of me figure out why canada gets the extended powertrain warranty. especially since from what i've heard, comparable chryslers in canada are actually cheaper than those in the us...!
  • that is also very true. Also Americans would be better off coming to Canada if they are thinking of buying a used car one year or older its duty free. With the exchange rate ,its well worth it.Take a look at some of these prices , search the car you want http://www.globemegawheels.com/master/welcome.asp
    Would it be cheaper to come to Canada to buy a brand-new car? If so, ottowrkr, I'll be putting in my request for an '02 ES soon ;-) Heck, if they're cheaper enough, I may just go for an R/T! I know there's gotta be a catch, though, somewhere.
  • I just want to let all of you who are considering puchasing a Dodge Intrepid: My 1996(3.5) named Fred has over 118,000 miles on him, runs perfect and looks close to new. I still feel confident taking him on 500 mile round trips. So far I have proactively replaced the timing belt,had to replace the windshield wiper assembly,one motor mount,and two ball joints. Other than that it has all been routine maintenance. Things I have learned: Maintain the car well, including changing oil every 3k and transmission fluid and filter and you shouldnt have any problems. My original engine and tranny are fine. I would recommend this car without hesitation to anyone looking for a big,safe,powerful and fun car.
  • I am pretty sure you cant take a brand new car south without paying duty on it. One year old and older cars are duty free , as per the free trade act between the U.S and Canada. Your best bet would be to contact your customs agency and ask what you would have to pay. With the exchange rate you pay like 50 U.S cents for one Canadian dollar , it may still be worth it .What a deal!!!!
  • Was in the dealer today for an oil change on my 2000 R/T. Have to say the changes from 2000 to 2002 on the R/T are not major

Improvements

- Illuminated entry now included
    - automatic temperature control included
    - Cloth in interior is now the same as the ES rather than the SE
    - Trunk escape handle

Decontenting

- No trunk lid liner
    - Front fascia no longer painted
    - Cassette no longer included in radio

Matter of Opinion

- Chrome wheels
    - rear spoiler
    - Engine very similar to ES now
  • Sorry but the ´02 Intrepids (ALL OF THEM) are painted,MONOTONE!

Have a closer look at the car, i think you are mistaken.
    yeah, how could you not paint the front fascia??
    Edmunds doesn't have any '02 pics up yet for the Intrepid, and in fact, but the pic they show of an R/T (it looks kind of pinkish-red on my screen) appears to have an additional set of bars, along with the housing for the fog lights, mounted in the cross hairs of the grille, and it's all body-color. Maybe on the '02 R/T, the inserts are just not painted body-color any more.

As for the whole front bumper cover, that extends around to the wheel wells, I'm sure THAT is still body color! Gawd, that would look horrible if they had that part be flat black plastic! Probably would be a lot more dent/ding/scratch resistant, though!
  • Nothing has physically changed on the 02 Intrepid fascia, the only difference is the grill area that used to be painted black is now just left body colour. This saves money as only one paint job is needed not two.
  • It is the grill, not the entire front fascia that is not painted. My mistake of terms, I should have said the grill area of the front fascia is no longer painted black. It still has a ram's horn decal on the hood.

Also, the illuminated entry is part of an option package, not standard. Their catalogue is not very clear on which packages are standard and what are optional. The dealer only had a couple 2002 Intrepids in stock, they seem to run a tight inventory on those until the 2001's are cleared out, since their is very little difference.

With the badges moved, the car, like most new cars, has a very plain and monotone exterior. I much prefer the exterior of my 67 Galaxie XL, but apparently not many else want chrome and metal trim and badging right now.
    Hey gang, does anybody know how the '02 ES, with the de-powerred 3.5, performs in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? Anybody know the EPA estimates for it?
  • scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    I finally installed my custom airbox (which reminds me of a lunar lander) and all of its plumbing, and it works like a charm! While I get the desired deep throaty growl while accelerating, it is no louder than stock otherwise. It also feels more responsive.

The box:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=55243320&f=0

Final install:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=55718914&f=0

Plans:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=55785794&f=0

Old v. new:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=54971393&f=0

I have ordered two digital thermometers from JCWhitney so I can compare the temperatures between the inside and the outside of the airbox.

• pcedprpcedpr Posts: 2
    This morning I inserted a CD to the fourth slot. It did not loaded correctly and the orange light that indicates CD presence is off. I tried to eject but it does not respond neither play. Also, this situation is apparently preventing slot 3 to eject. Slot 3 plays well. Any suggestion before taking the car to the shop?
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Greetings old friends...(you too emale!)

Can't believe it's been since the spring/early summer since I last logged in. Hope all is well with you all---fellow Intrepid owners. I ventured back a few screens and see that our resident detractors are still about. My 2000 ES just is fast approaching 26,000 miles. No problems to report--other than some items resulting from having the front end removed by a poor driver back in February. Frankly I thought she'd get repaired and I'd end up trading her (you know the old "can't never fix them damn unibodies right once their broke"). So far she's as tight and sturdy as day one.
    The one problem I'm going to ask folks about again are the "incredible shrinking weather strips". Any else noticing this from the inside? My 5 star dealer said "tell the parts guy to order 4 and we'll put them in for you".. Thoughts? Good to be back..
    REALLY intrigued by the filter and air box installation...is it K&N?
  • scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    It's an S&B cone filter. I bought it because I couldn't find a cone-in-a-cone version of the K&N filter. The airbox should fit the Intrepid; adjustments will have to be made in the plumbing at the TB for 2.7L engines.

Get new weatherstripping. Make sure when they install them to flatten any kinks with heat, and to put cardboard between the strip and the interior trim before applying the heat. Or make sure its done right and do it yourself.
    I've got that, too. Around the 43,000 mile mark, the one around the rear drivers-side door started to come loose. I'm pushing 54,000 now, and they're all a bit loose. Unfortunately, I've checked my extended warranty, and it doesn't cover them. And I'm beyond the regular warranty...too danged much driving!

Anybody know how much it would cost to fix those seals once they're out of warranty? Otherwise, the car's been pretty good. Needed new front brake pads at 39,000 miles, new rear pads at 52,000, when I also had to have the thermostat housing replaced because of a small leak.
    Try this Scotian.. I approached the service manager (who would consider us "buddies", I think) and told him that "a number of other owners on my listserv spoke of the problem, one even cited a service bulletin".. See what comes of it..
  • I've started to have some electrical problems on my '00 Intrepid.
    I went through a weak period a couple of months back, thinking about trading in for an Acura. Decided I'd rather keep my baby for a lot longer. However, my baby has been howling lately.

The fuel indicator keeps dropping to empty. This is accompanied by the loud "bing" one hears when the gas tank is almost empty. Over and over and over again. It's become maddening! Occasionally, the overhead lights come on mysteriously, then go off. The driver's side front window sometimes won't open to command. The worst problem is that fuel indicator...."bing, bing, bing, bing"!

I'm taking my 'trep to the dealer next week. What is the problem here?

38700 miles in 25 months, still love the car, will love it better once the problem is solved!
    On this date, 2 years ago, I bought my Intrepid. Roughly 53,900 miles later, and nothing too major gone wrong with it. At least nothing major enough to make me want to get rid of it yet! Well, one day that sexy blue Sebring 'vert parked next to it, and my attention, um, wandered. Hope the next two years go as smoothly!
    Hey group.. About three months ago my Trep, on two occasions, just "died". She'd start up, run fine. I'd park her, do my errand, then turn the key and "click, click".. A quick jump and she'd be up and running-without further incident. Last Saturday, she died, but GOOD! I thought it might have been something electrically related. The service manager told me that it was simply a "defective battery" and that was not "extremely uncommon". So, I have a new battery for no charge--although the rental car from Saturday thru Monday cost some.. Just a quick FYI....
    ...what year is your Intrepid, again? I wonder how long a typical battery should last nowadays. I think that 3 years used to be a good rule-of-thumb. They could last longer, but could become unpredictable after that.

I'm sure they've improved the technology though...at least I hope they have! How long did it take 'em to change your battery? I know it's buried in there pretty deep, and I don't look forward to the day mine needs to be replaced!