Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    I finally installed my custom airbox (which reminds me of a lunar lander) and all of its plumbing, and it works like a charm! While I get the desired deep throaty growl while accelerating, it is no louder than stock otherwise. It also feels more responsive.

The box:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=55243320&f=0

Final install:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=55718914&f=0

Plans:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=55785794&f=0

Old v. new:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13764864&p=54971393&f=0

I have ordered two digital thermometers from JCWhitney so I can compare the temperatures between the inside and the outside of the airbox.

• pcedprpcedpr Posts: 2
    This morning I inserted a CD to the fourth slot. It did not loaded correctly and the orange light that indicates CD presence is off. I tried to eject but it does not respond neither play. Also, this situation is apparently preventing slot 3 to eject. Slot 3 plays well. Any suggestion before taking the car to the shop?
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Greetings old friends...(you too emale!)

Can't believe it's been since the spring/early summer since I last logged in. Hope all is well with you all---fellow Intrepid owners. I ventured back a few screens and see that our resident detractors are still about. My 2000 ES just is fast approaching 26,000 miles. No problems to report--other than some items resulting from having the front end removed by a poor driver back in February. Frankly I thought she'd get repaired and I'd end up trading her (you know the old "can't never fix them damn unibodies right once their broke"). So far she's as tight and sturdy as day one.
    The one problem I'm going to ask folks about again are the "incredible shrinking weather strips". Any else noticing this from the inside? My 5 star dealer said "tell the parts guy to order 4 and we'll put them in for you".. Thoughts? Good to be back..
    REALLY intrigued by the filter and air box installation...is it K&N?
  • scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    It's an S&B cone filter. I bought it because I couldn't find a cone-in-a-cone version of the K&N filter. The airbox should fit the Intrepid; adjustments will have to be made in the plumbing at the TB for 2.7L engines.

Get new weatherstripping. Make sure when they install them to flatten any kinks with heat, and to put cardboard between the strip and the interior trim before applying the heat. Or make sure its done right and do it yourself.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,846
    I've got that, too. Around the 43,000 mile mark, the one around the rear drivers-side door started to come loose. I'm pushing 54,000 now, and they're all a bit loose. Unfortunately, I've checked my extended warranty, and it doesn't cover them. And I'm beyond the regular warranty...too danged much driving!

Anybody know how much it would cost to fix those seals once they're out of warranty? Otherwise, the car's been pretty good. Needed new front brake pads at 39,000 miles, new rear pads at 52,000, when I also had to have the thermostat housing replaced because of a small leak.
    Try this Scotian.. I approached the service manager (who would consider us "buddies", I think) and told him that "a number of other owners on my listserv spoke of the problem, one even cited a service bulletin".. See what comes of it..
  • I've started to have some electrical problems on my '00 Intrepid.
    I went through a weak period a couple of months back, thinking about trading in for an Acura. Decided I'd rather keep my baby for a lot longer. However, my baby has been howling lately.

The fuel indicator keeps dropping to empty. This is accompanied by the loud "bing" one hears when the gas tank is almost empty. Over and over and over again. It's become maddening! Occasionally, the overhead lights come on mysteriously, then go off. The driver's side front window sometimes won't open to command. The worst problem is that fuel indicator...."bing, bing, bing, bing"!

I'm taking my 'trep to the dealer next week. What is the problem here?

38700 miles in 25 months, still love the car, will love it better once the problem is solved!
    On this date, 2 years ago, I bought my Intrepid. Roughly 53,900 miles later, and nothing too major gone wrong with it. At least nothing major enough to make me want to get rid of it yet! Well, one day that sexy blue Sebring 'vert parked next to it, and my attention, um, wandered. Hope the next two years go as smoothly!
    Hey group.. About three months ago my Trep, on two occasions, just "died". She'd start up, run fine. I'd park her, do my errand, then turn the key and "click, click".. A quick jump and she'd be up and running-without further incident. Last Saturday, she died, but GOOD! I thought it might have been something electrically related. The service manager told me that it was simply a "defective battery" and that was not "extremely uncommon". So, I have a new battery for no charge--although the rental car from Saturday thru Monday cost some.. Just a quick FYI....
    ...what year is your Intrepid, again? I wonder how long a typical battery should last nowadays. I think that 3 years used to be a good rule-of-thumb. They could last longer, but could become unpredictable after that.

I'm sure they've improved the technology though...at least I hope they have! How long did it take 'em to change your battery? I know it's buried in there pretty deep, and I don't look forward to the day mine needs to be replaced!
    Andre... Well a good news/bad news scenario. The good news is that they replaced the battery in less than 2 hours. I suspect it isn't really all that troublesome due to the access panel in the wheel well. The bad news is that my Intrepid is a 2000 and the battery lasted just less than two years. In fairness they did diagnose it as "defective" and it was replaced free of charge--now if only they'd have covered the three days of rental car I required. The OEM batteries in my Mitsubishi products tended to last about two years.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    I have changed battteries in less than 15 min. The fastest way is from inside the engine bay. Removing it from the wheelwell area takes way to much time. Take off the airbox and hose and just pull the battery up from the tray, that easy.
  • BINUBINU Posts: 80
    The battery on my 98 concorde lxi lasted 2.5 years. It just died one morning and my car had to be towed. There were absolutely no signs of any impending failure till that moment.
  • I currently have a 96 Interpid. Have been looking at other cars, not really considering the Intrepid again. Had to get the sunroof installed on my car, does it ever come installed from the factory on the 2002 models?
    I have to admit I am leaning toward Altima or Maxima, but I hate to not buy American.
    I don't like the looks of the newer ones as well as mine, but guess I should atleast take one for a spin.

Any one have a new 2002, and if so comments.

Thanks.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    Yes a sunroof does come from the factory on the 2002 Intrepids. Please take one for a drive,the difference between the 96 and the 02 are night and day.Not sure on what you want to spend but on a vehicle but take a look at the R/T Intrepid if you want something sporty . If you want something more luxurious take a look at the 02 Concorde, this year the styling on the outside is taken from last years LHS.Also if you want the top of the line sports sedan ,look no further than the 2002 300M ,a four door with a the mind of a sports car .As the Intrepid board is not very populated you may want to ask about quality issues to the guys on the 300M board. The 300 M,Concorde and Intrepid are all built in the same plant and share many of the same components. The 300 board is one on the most popular on this Edmunds site. They will be able to give you an honest answer to any of your questions. Good luck on your decision
  • I have a 2000 R/T, and compared to my sister-in-law's 1994 Intrepid, it is like night and day. Her 3.3 ohv v-6 sounded coarse, the 3.5 sounds like a sewing machine. The interior detail is much better, the exterior trim is higher quality, and it feels more substantial.

I have the sunroof option, it is nice. I know there are deals to be had on all the LH's, so I would seriously consider one. Altima's and Maxima's are nice, but make sure to look at the Intrepid as well.
    I have a 2000 Intrepid, base model. 54000 miles so far, with no major problems yet. Truthfully, I didn't like the '98 redesign, either, at first. I thought it was ugly compared to the '93-97, but it's grown on me.

FWIW, the December issue of Car & Driver has a family sedan comparo with an '02 Intrepid SE (base model) in it. I thought it was an unfair comparison, because they pitted a base Intrepid against an up-level Impala, Taurus, Camry, Altima, and Accord. They also tested an XG350 and Regal LS, which come well-equipped, even basic. The Intrepid finished 5th. Even though it was at a disadvantage, it still beat beat out the domestics, but still fell short of the XG350, Altima, Camry, and Accord. They should've tested an Intrepid ES though. I'm sure it would've scored much higher, with the stronger 3.5 and better equipment list.

But anyway, take one out for a test drive before you make a decision. Even though it's been around since 1998, I think the Intrepid has aged very well, and still holds its own against the competition.
    Andre--Been a subscriber to C&D since the 10th grade and was a bit put out by their comparison. Shows a lack of good sense to use an SE among those other sedans. In fact, I priced it. They could have had an ES, WITH ABS, for less than many of the other sedans. I was, however, heartened by the fact that it soundly trashed the other domestics. An ES with no options still comes in under 24K. And frankly, we all know that most car mags would rather plunge to their death on a bed of knives than admit a "domestic" was comparable to an "import"... I've driven an Accord and it's a great car..but I'm a former linebacker and prefer the room, styling and overall competence of my Intrepid for the price.
    Forgot to ask... Has anyone driven a 2002 ES with the 3.5? I'm curious how it stacks up to the "high output" 3.5--or what most of us with memory understand was the "original" 3.5.. As well as the 3.2...
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    hey jason,

to me the 3.2l in my '00 felt almost exactly like (horsepower, etc) the old cast iron 3.5l in my '96. if i remember right, the old 3.5l was rated at 214hp/221 torque. the new one is rated somewhere around 240 hp so i'd imagine it would feel a little more punchy. anyway, hope the trep is treatin' you good! i'm on my second s-crew. this fall i traded for a more luxurious one. intially had an xlt, now am the owner of a king ranch. the leather in the kr is to die for. anyway, you all take care and have fun. i do miss my intrepid! it just isn't as much fun "flogging" a truck as it is a car!