Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,846
    ...it's been kinda quiet in here lately, so I just thought I'd post to keep us on the boards! How's everybody and their Intrepids doing?

My '00 just hit 73,000 miles last night. It seems that this winter is taking its toll a bit more on fuel economy than the last 3 winters I've had the car. The worst fuel economy I ever recorded on a tank was just under 20 mpg, a few winters back. I haven't calculated yet, but it seems like I'm doing worse this time. Then again, it feels like this winter's a bit colder, at least so far.
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Wow Andre...you are certainly packing on the mileage. I was a bit amazed to watch my 2000 ES turn over 46,000. My mileage decreased a bit after a recent service stop but is on the rise again. I'm hoping to test it out over the holidays on some lengthy trips in the colder weather. Nothing new to report--going to have the dealer order and install the new door seals--to replace the shrunken ones which are "whistling a bit". Other than that, no significant problems. My biggest expenditure EVER aside from tires was my last service (largely optional) at 40K--tires rotated and 4 wheel aligned, oil and filter, tranny fluid and filter, wipers, etc..
  • I checked my service records on my financial software, and I have spent a total of $21.77 on service for the Intrepid this year - one case of oil, two oil filters, and a set of wiper blade inserts. That is for the mileage period 20-30k miles, it happens the air filter replacement and the 20k service was last year for me.

Granted, I do the work myself, and will be taking it into the dealership to get a shrunken door seal replaced and have them check the drive belt tensioner. Other than that, everything works as intended with the car was built. Mileage is a little below expectations, but I have the 3.5 high output, drive in suburban and city areas, and usually around 75 mph on the freeway (faster than that when i can get away with it, the R/T is rock solid at 90 mph).

I'll probably throw in an oil change and transmission fluid change when I get the warranty work done, the dealer has higher profit margins on nonwarranty work, so maybe they will try a little harder on the warranty work.
  • Anyone running synthetic oil in their Intrepid?

On advice of a friend who is a mechanic, I just started using Mobil 1 in my Explorer. I have coupons for one more oil change on the wife's 2002 Intrepid. So I will use dino for at least 5500 more miles, but will be taking over the oil changes from there.
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    After allowing the original oil to "break things in" I changed to synthetic in my 2000 ES and have used it ever since. Don't know that it gives demonstrably better fuel mileage but I am more comfortable going for 5-7.5K on oil and filter changes. I'm closing in on 47,000 miles and I've never needed to add more than a half quart of synthetic between changes..
  • I have a '95 Intrepid with just over 100k on the clock. It has been a good car with no major problems. I would like to replace it in the next 2-3 years but I "heard" a rumor that the Intrepid may be going to rear wheel drive just like the Chrysler 300N. I like the size and front wheel drive because of the snow and ice here in MD. Does anyone have any information on the future of the Intrepid? Thank you!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    Yes you heard right , the next generation car will bw RWD and some will be AWD . Dont worry the size is even bigger than current Intrepids .You say your worried about ice and snow driving , dont be as the new cars will use a lot of Mercedes traction control systems .These cars will be out starting Jan 2004 so keep them in mind when thinking of replacing that 95.
    ...that the next Intrepid were going to be on a longer wheelbase, but shorter overall. For some reason the number 117.7" keeps sticking in my mind for wheelbase, and overall length, around 195". Is that in the ballpark, Ottoworker?

I found this on the internet... http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b121902.htm

but dunno how accurate it is.

Sorry , I dont know the numbers . But that link to car-truck has a lot of good true info .
  • I was reading a review of some full-sized cars in the newspaper and the paper said that this would be the last year that the chrysler corporation puts out the intrepid. It will be discontinued next year. I was shocked! The intrepid is one of my favorite dodge cars and I think that its a mistake that chrysler is going to cancel this car. I was just going to check up on it and see if this is true. It seems hard to believe. I also heard that Chysler/Dodge was going to remodel the Sebring and Stratus soon again, like in 2004 I think. Because they aren't seeing high selling numbers. They just redesigned them! Is this true? write back.
    ...there is going to be a 2004 Intrepid, but it's going to be a short model year. The 2005 replacement hasn't been given an official name yet; they're still tossing that around.

I'd think Intrepid would be a good name to keep, though. It's been the strongest selling Dodge car in recent years, and put them back on the map, as far as full-sized cars go. Dodge was always a strong player in the compact and intermediate markets, but was weaker in the full-size arena. Think about it...how many really popular full-size Dodges were there? Most people probably couldn't even name a full-size Dodge off the top of their heads!
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Yes, the Intrepid name may disappear. The new replacement will be RWD, and will be the last to come to market in 2005 as either a 2005 or 2006 model. It's replacement was originally set to be the Super 8 Hemi concept car, but that car got such a terrible response, they went back to the drawing board and started completely over from scratch. This is also why the new replacement will be the last LX car to come out. The new one is supposed to look like or resemble the Charger concept from a few years ago, most likely, and may actually take the Charger name.

About the Stratus, yes, it has been "lightly" re-designed, along with the Sebring. As you may have noticed, DC re-did the front, rear, and interior on the Mitsubishi-built coupe models already, and they are now doing the same to the sedans. As such, the 2004 sedans can be ordered now and should be on lots anytime soon. The 2003 model year was quite short. Reason? Mainly poor sales, nowhere near what's needed to be successful. Look around the web, and you can see the pics.
  • So let's see: The Intrepid will go 8 model years (1998-2005) before a redesign, even after not selling well for the last 3 or 4 of those model years.

The jury is still out on whether a large rear wheel drive car will sell in large volumes at a price point that they can make any money. (The Grand Marquis and Crown Vic's development was amortized long ago - it is a pretty cheap car to build) Was RWD chosen just so Daimler can amortize more of the development costs of Mercedes products over a larger production amount?

Yep, the Daimler merger is working out very well.

...really is getting stretched out too far, considering we really should have gotten a new model for 2003. As for sales though, I think it's still holding its own. In CY2002 through the end of November, they sold 103,437 units, compared to 102,243 the year before. Meanwhile, cars like the Impala, Crown Vic, and Grand Marquis have fallen in the same timeframe.

I think RWD could work, if they make it exciting enough. The Crown Vic and Grand Marquis don't sell because they're dull and have looked about the same since 1992, in spite of a few facelifts in between. A buddy of mine has a '95 GM, and the '03's are identical inside, with the exception of cheaper carpeting. They might make a good police car or taxi, but nobody really wants them as a family car anymore.

Also, with being a V-8 only model, Ford is only going to build so many CVs and GMs, no matter what the demand is for them. If they sell too many, then their CAFE numbers are going to sink and they'll get fined. At least with the upcoming LX models, since they're going to have V-6 engines as well, overall they shouldn't hurt DC's CAFE numbers too much.

" The Intrepid will go 8 model years (1998-2005) before a redesign"
    The last year of the Trep is 2004. Aug 28 is the final build date of all LH cars
    What happened to Emale's pics?! Were they from some copyrighted site or something? Emale, could you send me the url to the site that had those pics? My email address is in my profile. Thanks!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    emale, I wrote you about this yesterday, perhaps you have not checked your email?

The website has a clear copyright policy in which it states that images may not be reproduced on other websites: http://www.daimlerchrysler.de/index_e.htm?/legal_e.htm

You can post links, but please don't exceed the character limit -- that screws up the screen for most of our members, and the page has to be scrolled left to right to read every single line on it. We get tons of complaints when that happens - it makes the page virtually unreadable.

If you have any questions, just drop me a line.

Thanks!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    #1509 of 1514 by emale United States of America Jan 02, 2003 (10:40 pm)

andre,

these pictures are in a chrysler press kit so i'm not sure why edmunds won't allow them.

here is that url:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2DD352F2

...looks like it'll be a pretty hot looking car, and hopefully worth the wait!