Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• buyer777buyer777 Posts: 70
    I used auto polish and it worked well!
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    It comes in a yellow plastic bottle. You can buy it at most auto supply stores. It can be used on clearcoat and plastic. I use it on my clear lenses for my Mazda 626. Also, when I polish the car I put a little on my polish bonnet when I polish the front hood of my car. It takes all the embeded dirst out of the paint. I believe it's made by 3M.
  • smithedsmithed Posts: 444
    I will try one of these methods and let everyone know how each works. Of course, I will not go onto the next method if the first one works.

Also, the 'Trep has reached 5 years on its long life coolant and I am going to have it flushed and replaced next week. Is there anything special I need to know about this? Like the necessity for specific trans fluid?
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,106
    I had my coolant flushed last August, at around 85,000 miles. From what I've heard, basically just put in stuff that's compatible with the long-life coolant. Make sure it's that orangish-pinkish stuff.

About the only bad thing I've heard about the long-life stuff is that you really do need to change it at 5 years, or even a bit before, because once it starts to go downhill, it goes fast, and gums up the engine. With the older, green stuff that you flush every 2-3 years, if you go beyond that, it starts to lose its cooling benefit and resistance to freezing, but otherwise isn't nearly as damaging to the system.

When they did my coolant, they said my hoses were fine, which surprised me a bit. I figured they must've been telling the truth though, because if the hoses really were bad, that would've just been more profit for them!

The mechanic did say, though, that at 150,000 miles, I should have the coolant done again, and have the hoses replaced as well. At the rate I'm driving though (I've only put about 6,000 miles on the car since then...up to 91,000 now), I'm sure I'll be back in before then! Either that, or behind the wheel of a Hemi! ;-)
  • chuck2chuck2 Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 04 Intrepid. I test drove it before buying and I loved how it handled and how responsive the engine was.
    After doing a little research online, it appears that the Intrepid is not the most reliable vehicle in the world.
    Do you, my fellow Intrepid owners, feel that this is an unreliable car?
    my '00 base model just hit 91,000 miles about a week ago. I'm not complaining! I've had a few minor things go wrong (thermostat housing, door seals, passenger-side mirror remote, power lock actuator), but overall I've been happy with it. If I had it to do over, I still would've most likely bought one...I just would've tried to snag one with power seats!
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    You'll find most of us happy with our Intrepids for a variety of reasons. Perfect? No.. A solid car and value? Yes. The more siginificant question--and the one that separates the "thinkers" from the "complainers" is...reliable or not reliable compared to what? Every long-term test (and I mean EVERY)that I have read show the Intrepid at or below the mean for maintenance expenses compared to national averages. MSN.com and other reasonable sources have shown average or better reliability. Enjoy! But stay tuned to this board for hints on using your maintenance dollars wisely.
  • drmurdocdrmurdoc Posts: 13
    I'm looking at purchasing a 99 Intrepid with the 2.7 engine. The car is in great shape with 76K miles. I think I can get it for $4,500. I started to do research and came up with message after message in some other forum (not edmunds) on how BAD the 2.7 engine was. Many people reporting they had to replace their engines. Can anyone with knowledge give me some perspective. Should I be wary?
    where if the car has been maintained well, with up-to-date oil changes, never been overheated or abused, etc, it should be fine. But from what I've heard, the 2.7 doesn't do too well if you let it go too long between oil changes. Sludge, and evil things like that.

If it's any consolation, most people I've talked to out in the real world (i.e., not internet chat forums, or people who have a vendetta against Chrysler and are blowing things out of proportion), have had good luck with this engine. The mechanics I've talked to have all said it's a good engine. About the only flaw I know of, right off-hand, is the thermostat housings leak from time to time. I've also heard that the transmission cooling lines that run to the base of the radiator are prone to leakage.

Overall though, I'm at 91,000 miles with my '00 2.7, and it's been pretty good so far. The one time the oil light did come on, it was a problem with the wiring and not a real problem with the oil.

Basically, I'd say if you can get access to the maintenance records and see that the oil has been changed about every 3,000 miles, and the car seems to run good, and doesn't make any nasty noises, then it sounds like a good deal to me.
    In a nutshell--make your purchase and enjoy. We too in this forum have heard about the "sludge" problem--trouble is the one or two sources are not reliable and you won't find significant real world data to support "sludge" as an issue.
    with my 2.7, is that once you load the car up, performance does suffer considerably. It's fine with just one or two people on board, but I've noticed that a 3rd person does take its toll. And the first time I tried accelerating onto a highway with 4 people on board (after I'd only had the car maybe a week) I though I was going to kill us!

And for even more fun and excitement, try taking 4 people and a trunk full of luggage on a trip through the mountains, and see what it does to performance!

But then again, before my Intrepid, I drove an '89 Gran Fury police pursuit. Nothing felt like it would slow that car down. Hell, you could probably tie a Neon or two to it, and it wouldn't slow it down much! ;-)
    Let's not confuse issues with problems... Diminished acceleration is to be expected with more weight. Shove passengers and luggage into a diesel Golf (if they fit) and consider the "performance" issues...
        Nice to know that just like death and taxes jbbw's idiocy is predictable and consistent.
    okay, so ya got me on semantics ;-)

I agree, you shove a bunch of passengers and cargo into most modern cars with smaller engines that rev high to get their hp and torque, and you'll probably get the same results. It was just a new experience to me, as most of my cars in the past had been V-8's, some of them easily twice the Intrepid's displacement. Honestly, the Intrepid would smoke most of them, with just one person on board, but as you add weight, the additional torque would just give those older cars an advantage.

Now if I'd gone from a Golf Diesel to an Intrepid 2.7, I'd probably be singing the praises of it's acceleration when fully loaded! I guess it all depends on what you're coming from, and what you were used to in the past.
    Troubles with our '99 3.2 since we bought it 4 years ago:

1. All 4 power window motors were replaced within a year of having the car--a flaw that many ofm had during that time, including the Concordes and LHSs. I think that has been resolved a long time ago. Obviously a bad supplier.

2. AC went out much too early--only at 45,000 miles and had to be replaced. I don't think that should have happened, but others tell me a similar story. I hope they have improved that a little over the years.

3. Speed sensor had to be replaced at about 45,000 miles--about $150

Now about reliability--it has started and run everytime I have needed it to, never stranded us anywhere. The engine and drivetrain have never given us problems to date (knock on wood). I have been religious about frequency of oil changes and transmission service. After 5 years, I would expect that it has been on the low side of average to maintain.

Had the dealer change the coolant today. They too, said the hoses were fine. I have had them do the maintenance on it, because they gave me discount coupons for the regular maintenance when I bought it in March, 1999. Also, I have some confidence that they will put the correct fluids, particulary the right ATF (which is so important).
  • smokeysmokey Posts: 1
    Have any of you experienced hwy speed stalling with your intrepid? Approx 100,000 miles on it. I look forward to feedback as to what the problem may be.
    with my Intrepid, but have had that problem with other cars. It's almost always been the distributor. Now I know Intrepids don't use distributors, but I'd suspect that it might be something in whatever they call the thing that replaced it!

Mine wouldn't just stall out at highway speeds though, it could do it anytime, in any weather, at any speed. And to make things worse, there would be some "false" symptoms. When the spark plugs quit getting juice, the engine would still get gas, and the result would be that I smelled gasoline, and would think that the car flooded out.

So I guess the first thing I'd look at is the ignition system.
  • setzersetzer Posts: 127
    is the Intrepid going to be held until the 2005 MY because the Charger doesn't arrive until the 2006 MY.
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    intrepids, concords and 300ms are no longer in production...when they are all sold...that's it. last year for those cars is '04.
    of the LH cars in September of last year. The same factory that built them was shut down and re-tooled to build the 300, Magnum, and the other LX cars that are scheduled to be released. They couldn't continue the Intrepid and other cars if they wanted to. It's unfortunate though that it's leaving a large gap in the Dodge lineup.

I think the last Intrepid was a white SE with alloy wheels.
  • mikeyp53mikeyp53 Posts: 55
    I have a 2004 2.7L with 70K on it. Its a company car. Never had it back to the dealer for warranty. Runs perfect, 27mpg (almost as good as the VW diesel), just did the front brakes because I will buy at end of lease. If you change the oil, it will last! Postpone maintenance and reap the hell you'll pay! Yes, did trans oil every 30 K also.
    Hey gang....those of you who track your maintenace. When--or at what intervals--have you changed your antifreeze and/or had your system flushed? Many thanks.. Thinking about doing it as I approach 85,000 miles on my 2000 ES.
    that's about when I had mine flushed...84,025 miles to be exact. Had the belts replaced then, too. The owner's manual says the belts should be done every 60K, so I was pushing that a bit...

The mechanic basically said that if you leave that long-life stuff in too long, it'll start damaging the system much more quickly than the older green stuff would. The green stuff would basically just lose its ability to cool, and keep from freezing, but the newer pink/orange stuff will actually start damaging the cooling passages. Also, if you don't wait until the last minute, it won't be as damaging to the radiator hoses, so you might not have to replace those. When he did my coolant at 85K (which was last August, when I'd had the car for about 3 years and 9 months) he said the hoses were fine.

He told me that I should have it flushed again around 150,000 miles, and replace the hoses then. I'll have it done much sooner than that though, because my driving has diminished enough that it'll be ages before I get to 150K now.
    I had mine done last week at 79,000 miles and 5 years, which is what the owner's manual says: 105,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Enjoy.
    I'll probably have my coolant replaced and the system flushed and inspected at the next oil change. I usually follow the maintenance recommendations in the manual but have come to rely on the input of other owners. For instance--although I've used synthetic oil since mile 1000--I also recently started extending the oil change interval to 5000-7500 miles. I've done this based on the high volume of highway miles and extended trips I'm taking AND the characteristics of synthetic oils. I have been AMAZED that my Intrepid has yet to use any oil between changes. I didn't believe it at first--but I've never put more than half a quart in between changes and that was only once.
    I have never had to add oil between changes (average at 4-5000 miles) in 5 years/80,000 miles to the 3.2. I have not even seen a significant drop from full on the dipstick.
    all the preproduction hype about these new engines being "clean"? Guess that's what happens when you make a good engine..
    my emission test results from the last time I had to take the Trep though. It's amazing how clean it is! The carbon monoxide reading was so low that I don't think it's even possible to commit suicide with CO poisoning anymore! Although I guess if you ran it in an enclosed place, it would burn up all the oxygen and kill you, anyway.

I have to go in for another test within the month. So I'll post the results when I do.
    Question...has anyone recently traded their Intrepid or sold it? I'm curious if folks are "taking a hit" because the Intrepid has ended production... I'll probably keep mine--largely because it's paid off--but wonder what other experiences have been..
  • mike372mike372 Posts: 354
    Consumer Reports or Edmunds, I dont remember which one, the Intrepid had one of the worst resale values of all cars. In fact, all chrysler cars fared poorly. I think the Dodge Neon came in dead last! The Intrepid was not too far from last.
    I dont think it much matters that it is no longer in production. It seems that most of the used Intrepids on the market are former rental cars, which does not help the resale value. I plan to drive mine until it dies, which hopefully will be quite some time from now. I think Emale recently traded his Trep for an Escape, maybe he can be of some help.
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    uhh...no! i currenty have an '02 king ranch s-crew 4x4 and '03 "rental" 2 door v6 accord coupe. i haven't had an intrepid since i traded my '00 ES for an '01 supercrew...