Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• apasionatoapasionato Posts: 2
    Hi, everyone!

I need some help: I have been wanting to buy an Intrepid for two years now after seeing/driving one. I love how they look and how they drive.

However, after doing research online I am reading many complaints about the Intrepid, many model years....are these complaints mainly of the models up to 2000, and, has the car, especially the 2002, gained better quality and reliability? I am aware of the problems with the 2.7 engine and I now will only buy a model with the 3.5 engine.

I am wondering if the postings I am reading is mainly because the ones who are having problems with their Intrepids are more likely to make posts? Or, are the Intrepids mainly lemon cars, mechanically? Are the complaints I am reading just a small % of the overall experiences with these cars?

Are there any out there who have owned a 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES (or SE) for awhile and have had very few problems with them?

Do you love your 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES?

I'd really appreciate your help.

Thank you!

Aimee
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    emale- i hope you are right about the trans . But from what I have been told all 2.7 and 3.5 cars will use a corporate trans only the 5.7 will get the MB design (U.S built) trans.

mike372- the a/c will cycle to allow the oil in the system to circulate and keep all the parts like seals lubricated
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    otto,

i guess we'll see...but it seems to me that it'd be more expensive to have two different rwd trannies in the same car, in spite of which engines are put in the cars.

btw, what tranny did the airflight concept car have in it? it had the 3.5l engine. that may indicate what tranny they plan to use for the production LX cars that have the v6 engines...
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Good morning... I hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend. Based on your profile and questions--I'm not certain what you're seeking. If your goal is to buy the single MOST reliable used car---then you'd probably want to buy a previous generation Camry or Accord. If, however, other factors consider into your purchase, then I would certainly recommend an Intrepid.
        I suggest you check your sources for the "problems" you've heard about the 2.7 in particular and the Intrepid in general. The VAST majority of us--with ownership experience and without some other agenda--have found them to be well-designed, competent, reliable vehicles that have the added benefit of low maintenance costs. My car is a 2000 ES and my only expenses to date (at 61,000 miles) aside from normal maintenance were tires and brakes. Happy hunting...!
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    is that Chrysler got most of the kinks out of the automatic tranny around 1996 or '97, although they've made running improvements to it year after year, since then. So basically, the newer the Intrepid, the better the tranny should be.

The 2.7 is a decent engine, although it does have to work harder than a 3.2 or 3.5 to move a 3400-3500 lb car around. It's fine if you take care of it, but with being smaller and more complex (DOHC versus SOHC), it's not going to be as tolerant of neglect and abuse.

One minor advantage of the 2.7, over the 3.2/3.5, is that the 2.7 uses timing chains, where the larger engines use belts. The interval nowadays on the belts is something like 105K miles though, so don't let that be the determining factor!

I have an '00 base model (they call it SE nowadays) with the 2.7. I'm pushing 80,000 miles, and no engine/tranny problems yet!
  • mike372mike372 Posts: 354
    I appreciate your concerns regarding the Intrepid and the 2.7L engine. I recently purchased a new
    2002 SE w/ the 2.7L engine. The only problem so far has been a bad ABS controller which was replaced under warranty. Admittedly, it has only 2600 miles but no other problems. Its hard to say whether the 2.7L engine is inferior, but if I had to do it over again, I too would have selected an ES or probably an SXT with the 3.5L engine. The 2.7L engine has OK power but the car could certainly use a little more H.P. and torque. Maybe you should consider a Honda Accord with a V-6. Its probably going to cost more as the incentives are less (I'm not exactly sure what they are) but its an awesome car with high reliability. Chryslers reliability is still questionable.
    Well, I dropped my Intrepid off last nite to have the recall done. It's a fairly minor thing; they just have to replace two bolts in the seat. The current ones could break, causing the backrest to suddenly recline fully.

The recall notice says it should take about 1/2 hour to do, but the dealer still wanted to keep the thing for a day. They told me it takes 2 1/2 hours to do. I said something in shock, like "you mean it takes that long to change two bolts?!" The tech replied that they have to actually remove the seat from the car.

Still, what's that? Maybe 5 minutes, with the right tools? I guess they just write the hours a little high, so they can bill Chrysler for it?
    andre,

warranty/recall stuff doesn't quite work that way. before the recall even was sent out...dc would have already notified dealers how much time they have to do the recall and how much money they'll get. and if the dealership goes over that alotted time...it comes out of their pocket!
    andre1969, crazy eh. It takes us 48 secongs to put that seat in ,but takes all day to change the bolts . HHMMMM.

Also if any of you Trep owners are in the Brampton, Ontario , Canada area this Sunday June 1st, there is a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Mopar car show that is held at the plant . It is open to all years of vehicles as long as the are DaimlerChrysler built.
    you dont understand. It takes 1 hour to find the replacement bolts, another hour for break, and one half hour to remove and replace the bolts. By the way, anyone need mint condition parts for a 91 Celica GTS Liftback. My mom hit a curb while trying to avoid a deer and really did a job on the undercarriage of the car. The insurance company totaled it out. They want $250 to buy it back which I think is illegal. I am going to try to get it back for less but may have to pay the $250. But there's no way it going to the junkyard so they can make a few thousand off the parts. I dont care if I have to store them in my basement and never sell them. It was a real nice car, one of the best remaining 91 GTS's on the road, easily. Any ideas on the best way to market these parts? I dont think they changed the body design for the nest four years.
    By the way, does Chrysler ever give tours of the plant to see up close how the car is built. I have never seen a car actually assembled but maybe its about time I did. It probably would be really neat to see how long it takes to assemble one car.
    yes they do but they dont do it on a regular basis. if you contact DC or the plant itself they can sometimes set things up . Another way to see the plant is to know somebody that works there, like me. I have taken quite a few people on tours. It sure is something to see, even I am still amazed on how it is done.
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Posts: 28
    I had my seat bolts replaced while in for state inspection. Took about an hour for the inspection and 15mins for the recall....This was a 5-star dealer and they do good work. Otherwise all is well with my 2000 R/T with 42K on it.... enjoy.
  • mdeymdey Posts: 90
    I crawled under my 01 ES 3.2L this weekend and serviced the transmission. I haven't done one in a while. Pretty straight forward, just messy.

It took a bit of time to find a spot to get a purchase on the pan and pry it loose. I wound up pulling the left front tire and using a long gasket scraping tool to drive between the pan and the transmission. There is a tab at the left front of the transmission that gave me a place to pry against. The RTV sealant sticks pretty well, but I went with a cork gasket. I worry about some of the RTV breaking loose and gluing the inside of my transmission together.

The dealer sold me the wrong filter, so I had to make a run to the parts counter to get the correct one. Apparently Chrysler used a different transmission on this engine when they switched to ATF+4 in June 2001. Not sure but mine has a 13-bolt pan and they initially sold me a filter and gasket for a 14-bolt pan. I had to take the old filter and a tracing of the pan with me to get the right kit.

Anyway, I actually got more fluid out than I expected. The transmission holds 9 quarts and the manual indicated I would get 4.5 quarts out. I actually got closer to 6 out, which is pretty acceptable. ATF+4 may be synthetic but heat works it over pretty well. The fluid was much more brown than I would have liked, and most of the miles on it are highway. I won't go 45,000 miles between services again.

Chrysler charges $8 a quart for ATF+4. None of the local parts stores carry it. Anyone find a source for this stuff other than the dealer?
    mdey,

the lh cars have always come with and only with the 42le tranny. however, it is possible that they changed the design of the transmission case at some point...
    to ATF+4 before June 2001. My '00 'Trep was built in October 1999, and its owner's manual calls for ATF+4. I haven't seen the stuff anywhere but at the Chrysler dealer, either.

Chrysler's probably made enough changes to that tranny over the years, that different years, and even some different cars within the same year, have something different about the tranny. For instance, didn't they actually make minor changes to it twice in '00 or '01?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    After seeing the Magnum one wonders what if any car DC will race in NASCAR? Maybe they will have to steal UPS' commercial should we race the truck?
    Chrysler does not provide a drain plug in the transmission pan like my older GM cars had. It would make the job alot easier especially when you dont have access to a lift. My Ford TBird did not have a drain plug either. Hopefully it will be awhile before I have to change the fluid. Eight dollars for a quart seems like highway robbery but I guess its not available anywhere else. The Honda dealer charged around 5 or 6 which I thought was high.
  • mdeymdey Posts: 90
    ATF+4 is synthetic, so I would expect it to cost at least $5 a quart. I would hope to find it aftermarket from Mobile or another brand, but no luck I guess.
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Morning Group...

I shared this story last fall and thought I'd do it again--just to bring the matter to your attention. First--the second gen Intrepid has ALWAYS required ATF+4. Not the first gen (93-97)... In the fall I had my local auto store (in this case Strauss Auto) do some work on my 2000 ES. They have always done so competently in the past. I spoke to two separate people about the ATF+4 issue--because I wanted my tranny drained, filter changed and fluid replaced. Yes..yes..yes... As with MOST auto supply store they do not carry +4. Long story short they put in +3--which I saw on the sheet when I picked it up. MADE them call the Dodge manager who promptly said.."drain it immediately, flush it with some +4, then refill with +4, DON'T drive it.."
        In short--remind, remind, remind.. Though I don't believe--and the data hasn't supported-- the "transmission hysteria" some of our neurotic detractors report--this would certainly explain some difficulties..