Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• I am trying to find a buyer for my 2004, red, nascar edition intrepid, with black rims. I am aware that there is an auto club for these special editions, have any of you heard of it? If so I would be interested in an e-mail address or phone #.

Thanks, ( and yes, I love my intrepid, just looking to buy the next one!!)
  • smithedsmithed Posts: 444
    Ted,

with 209,000 miles I would fix the suspension stuff and try for 300,000 miles. Post your mileage on the Allpar website. They keep a list of Mopars with high mileage. You may be able to get it on there, now. We are only at half that mileage on our 99. I hope my son takes it to college in a couple of years and we approach 209K miles. :D :D
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    Uh, I hate to say this, but if you have a 2004 trep, I think you have the last of a dying breed...there is no "next one" is there???
  • Guys im lookin if someone can help me with this...i have a 02 intrepid...prob is that i had a fender bender on it..@ 5mph the guy hit me head on...no clear damage on both the cars but the prob is that the air bags on mine opend...i gues just a freak occurence...neways have tht replaced... but the rt side cover is very hard to find as it is the whole dashboard panel..my question is how do i close it without changing the whole dashboard...i found an old dash board in a salvage yard here in chicago but the guy said that the VIN frm tht car will come with it so i will have to do a whole reinspection on the damn thing and i am not in the mood of doing so..help me on how is the best way to close tht damn airbag cover
    FrEa|<
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    I would contact a body shop and find out how they would handle this situation. I wolld consider having the salvage vin number removed and replaced with te one from your airbag torn one replace it.
  • well already replaced both the air bags on it...the computer and the sensor tooo but cannot figure out bout the cover neways will try the yard in the morn
    FrEa|<
  • Hello everyone, I have a 2000 Intrepid that I got from my grandparents. When I got it the car only had 19000 miles on it for being
    years old. Well now it's 5 years old and it just turned 40,000. I've noticed when i can to a stop my temp. goes up and the heat doesnt work but if I'm driving at a steady pace the heat will work and the temp. wont go over the half way mark. I thought it was low on coolent which I put in and that seemed to help but now it's doing it again. Any suggestions would be great. Its the 2.7 liter. Debateing if I should get rid of it. I heard a few bad stories about the engines on those.

Thanks
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    If it's happening when you come to a stop...you may have limited airflow from a malfunctioning electric fan. Have your mechanic check the fan... I don't think you need to equate rising engine temps to a flaw in the 2.7 liter engine just yet...
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,912
    at this age, you might want to just go ahead and flush the cooling system, if it hasn't been done yet. At 40,000 miles you're nowhere near the mileage limit, but you're beyond the 5 year part of that 5/100K coolant.
  • foxmidfoxmid Posts: 1
    Well, like an idiot, I decided to do some repairwork on my own. I replaced the driver side window + window motor, and also replaced the passenger side radiator fan motor (it had died, and was causing the car to run hot). After putting everything back together, I now have no radio, no interior lights, no power door locks, and no trunk pop button. Also, when the key is first turned to the "ON" position, the horn will honk quickly.

The car still runs fine, the exterior lights work fine, the AC/Heater unit works, but now cycles through defrost, feet, to vents, and from hot to cold, like it doesn't remember the previous setting.

Everything had worked fine previous to this, and I have checked the fuses for the various components, and they are all fine. The windows roll down just perfectly, and the doors lock automatically when the car gets over 15 mph.

I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer, but no dice. The radio will make a slight pop in the speakers when you turn it on, but you never get the clock or any response on it..

Any thoughts? Thanks guys...
    so how hard was it to replace the power window motor? Is the motor bolted in or rivited in? I've replaced a few power window motors, but on a much older, simpler car...swapping them from an '89 Gran Fury to a '79 New Yorker. Once you got all the door trim off, it was just a matter of taking of three bolts and the motor came right out. And the wires just unplugged. All four of the windows on my '00 Intrepid still function, although the passenger side one seems to roll down slower than the rest. I've thought about when the time comes and one of 'em fails, that I might try it myself.

But after reading your story, I'm starting to have second thoughts! :surprise:
    I tried to change the battery myself. It did not go well. I jacked the car up to remove the tire, opened the front fender liner door, and looked around. Opened the hood to find the bolts for the battery tie down. Was able to get the bolt on the fender side loosened, but the one on the radiator side is near impossible with the tools I had. I opened the air cleaner box and removed the top and hose to the intake. I tried to remove the box, but could not figure out the connector on the engine side. Does anyone know how that connector comes out? It appears that if you can get that one out, the box should come out of the fender side easily. That is where I am right now, but I have my doubts that I can do this without having some more specialized knowledge. Luckily it is the original battery that was put in at the Brampton factory back in February, 1999. I may have to say "uncle" and let someone with more know how than I do it. :confuse:
  • May I make a sugggestion...if you are going to have your local garage replace your power window motor, be sure to have them order the parts before hand. Last winter, I was carless for a week over Christmas break when mine broke because my mechanic didn't want to charge me labor to put the door back together and take it apart again when the parts came in. I guess it's a fairly labor-intensive job. :D
    I changed my battery back in late May, just before my Florida trip. As I recall, I wasn't able to figure out the air cleaner box, where it's mounted to the inner fender, either. It looked like something that just pops in, but I didn't want to wrestle around with it too much for fear I'd break it. I was able to twist the air cleaner box out of the way somewhat, though.

Here's a rough rundown of the ordeal I went through that day, copied from a post I made awhile back...

Anyway, you basically have no choice but to jack up the car and take the tire off. You can see the battery from under the hood, but it's too big to bring it out that way, as about half of the battery is actually underneath the headlight assembly. It's best to take the air cleaner assembly loose though, because it does make access to the hold-downs much easier.

The little plastic panel in the wheel well is pretty easy to take off, but be careful, because it's held in place by these little bolts that go through these clips that are attached to the panel. They're not attached very well, and will fall off. Also, when you're taking off the bolt for the hold-downs, make sure you cover the positive terminal with a rag or something, or you'll most likely be hitting it with your socket, and making a nice little firework display of sparks. I wonder how many people have been electrocuted trying to replace one of these batteries?

I'd say the whole ordeal took me about an hour and a half, maybe a bit more. One reason it took so long though was because I had to keep hunting down tools, and the socket I used had something wrong with the ratchet. It kept going into, for lack of a better word, "neutral". Somewhere between on and off.
    Don't forget to tell them how happy you are that folks on this topic strongly recommended that you change that batt for good, proper, maintenance... ;) ;)
    funny you'd mention that. I actually had a dream about that battery the other nite! In this dream, I let one of my friends borrow the car, and he had to have it towed back home when the new battery died! I was all set to replace the battery, AGAIN, but thankfully I woke up, and realized it was all just a dream!

The battery in my '67 Catalina finally called it quits on Wednesday. I went out to the car after work, turned the key, and . Now, it's done that sometimes in the past, and all I'd have to do is jiggle the cables a bit to get it running again. But this time, no amount of jiggling would do it. Oh, and I also noticed that it had a Motorcraft battery in it! My first thought was, how did that get in there?! But then I remembered. A few years ago, my Granddad was worried about the battery in his Taurus. It was around 4 years old, I guess, and while it was still working fine, he just wanted a new one. Well, I figured I'd save him a few bucks, so I changed it for him, instead of having him go to the dealer. It's only like a 5 minute job in a '94 Taurus, almost the polar opposite of the Intrepid!

Well, I held onto the old battery, and I guess at some point I put it in my convertible, and forgot about it. Until Wednesday! :cry: One of my managers tried to jump start me with his '96 Accord, but I guess it just didn't put out enough juice. So he gave me a ride home, and I came back up to work later with my '79 NYer, and it fired right up.

So, in short, that little Honda just didn't have what it took to jump start that Pontiac with the Ford battery. No, it took a CHRYSLER to do it! :P Advantage, Mopar! :shades:
    Get that great GM feeling, with genuine GM parts!!!..........NOT......... :P :P :shades:
    Call me a wimp. I had a local independent garage change the battery for me. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I told him what the car is. He described what they had done in the past with 300Ms, Concordes, and other Intrepids. I hope the new one (Interstate) lasts as long as the original. :shades:
    if you don't mind me asking, how much did the shop charge to change the battery? Even though I ended up doing mine myself, it was enough to almost make me want to trade in the car before it's time to replace the battery again! I had the first battery for 5 1/2 years and around 105,000 miles. So when I hit 11 years and/or 210,000 miles, my Intrepid is outta here! :P
    210,000 miles and 11 years...that is what I call an OPTIMIST!!!... :shades: :shades:
  • I am wondering if anyone can help. I have a 2000 Intrepid that seems to be leaking water from somewhere??? and is pooling on the drivers side floor. I have had it into the chrysler dealership and they do not know where it is coming from. They pulled the rug out, dried it off, and when I picked the car back up the floor was full of water again. Has anyone else had this problem and discovered the solution.

Thanks for your help.
  • I bought a 97 dodge intrepid 3.3 V6 and it came with no manual, the lighter and the horn no longer work I was told the fuse box is on the passenger side but I can not find it and the other fuses are located under the hood, please help I need my horn! and also do I need tools to get into the fuse box
    but the fuse box might be built into the side of the dashboard where it faces the door. If so, just open the passenger side door, and there would be a little panel in the side of the dashboard where it juts out into the opening. The door should just pop off.

I had a similar problem about 13 years ago, with a '92 Grand Am I rental. I was in Garden Grove, CA, late at night, in a not-so-nice neighborhood when the horn got stuck. I searched all over for the fuse panel, figuring it was underneath the dash. Looked in the glovebox, under the hood, everywhere, but couldn't find it. Finally yanked the cover off the steering wheel and yanked the wiring loose to kill it!

The next morning, in daylight, I saw this panel built into the side of the dash that you could only see when you opened the driver's side door. And there behind this panel was the fuse box!
  • kcjdljkcjdlj Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2002 Intrepid. I had the vehicle checked at a local garage and was told that the leak was not coming from the cooling system or air conditioner. They said that they thought the water was coming from a leak through the seal around the windshield, but they couldn't locate the source. I was told to take the car to a auto glass shop. I haven't had the time to have it checked yet.
  • Hello.

My mother's 1999 Dodge Intrepid is experiencing some vibraton at low speeds. Once you get over 20 mph or so the vibration goes away.

According to the local tire dealer, the bowtie bushing is wearing out. It costs only $22 for the part, but the labor brings the bill up to $220. This is a fairly recent occurrence. Any chance she can go for a while without making the repairs?

Thanks for any input!
    Jim
  • We haven't had any rain, so our problem is not the windshield. Its going in tomorrow to a different shop. They think they have figured out what it is. I will keep you posted.
  • edtbedtb Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 intrepid and have water inside the trunk. It's coming from a poorly designed vent that is located behind the carpet on the drivers side right behind the tail light. The only way to stop the leak is to remove the vent and place plastic over it and seal it with duct tape.
    but all four seals around the door openings shrunk up on my 2000 Intrepid. I bought a new one for one of the back doors, which had shrunk up really bad. When I saw how it all went together though, I just re-adjusted the other three seals so that they fit properly again, although I did end up with a gap under the plastic sill plate. None of those seals ever leaked water, but the wind noise was terrible.
  • anetanet Posts: 1
    2001 Dodge Intrepid has water leaking onto the floor of driver&#146;s side of car. The car was taken to the Luther Brookdale Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealership. They said a gromet around the shift cable was out of position causing water to leak. They said they repositioned the shift cable gromet. Water is still leaking onto the floor of driver&#146;s side of car. The car was taken back to the Luther Brookdale Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealership. They said that they were unable to locate the water leaking problem. They said to take the car to an auto body shop.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    I have never heard of a bow tie bushing and I have done a bunch of front end work on different vehicles. Rebuilt the entire front end of a 4x4 Suburban last summer. It sounds like a Chevy part :) I have a 1999 Intrepid and would like to know about this. Can you find out where it is and what it does.