Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,998
    I was forced to take a trip to the local junkyard yesterday, because on Sunday someone ripped off my left front tire in a parking garage! :mad: Took the tire, hubcap, AND lugnuts, so the spare was useless!

The junkyard had a bunch of Intrepids and Concordes, and I was right...they are getting to the point that you can find non-wrecked examples that are coming in because of a blown engine or other major problem. The Intrepid I pulled a wheel off of had a bad 2.7, but otherwise looked like it had beenfine. The front-end clip was gone, as were both front wheels, but thankfully it had both rear wheels, and one of them had a good tire with plenty of tread on it.

So overall, this little catastrophe only cost me about $70. Guess it could've been worse. :surprise:
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Just checking in as it's been awhile. My 2000 ES 3.2 is about to turn 143,000 miles. Only recent repair was a pricey one, but decided to have it done. After several efforts to track down my malfunctioning A/C in late summer, it turns out the evaporator was bad. Most of the near $700 cost was labor as the dash is "in the way" of the repair. A blown Infinity speaker was replaced cheaply with a used unit.
    Hope all is well. I'm actively looking at 07' Pacifica's. The new 4.0 liter engine and 6 speed Autostick make it more appealing than the minivan options I was exploring. Best to all...
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    I cannot believe someone would go through the effort of stealing a steel wheel and tire. It really was an unlucky day for you to cross paths with such a loser!!!! With any luck the thief gets a blowout.(and wrecks).
    I have been casing the local junk yards to see if I can pick up a set of factory alloy wheels from either a Concord or an intrepid. So far no luck. Best I have seen is a set of three good ones. Really like the look of the spoke wheels they put on some of the cars.
    Best I have seen is a set of three good ones. Really like the look of the spoke wheels they put on some of the cars.

I thought about using this little fiasco as an excuse to get some factory alloys for my Intrepid. They had a wrecked R/T in the junkyard, but it only had three good ones. The front driver's side was damaged from the wreck.

This hasn't exactly been a lucky month for me, vehicle-wise. On Friday I got rear-ended in my pickup truck. A car up ahead stopped rather abruptly to make a left turn from the lane, so the car behind it and me had to react even more quickly. Unfortunately, the Infiniti I30 behind me didn't stop fast enough, and smashed into me. Luckily all it did was bend my bumper down a bit and smash the bracket underneath. It's in the body shop now for an estimate. Hopefully there's no frame damage, but sometimes body-on-frame vehicles can be tricky like that. The I30 was a mess though. Still driveable, but the hood, fascia, grille, both headlights, and driver's side fender were smashed, and the radiator was pushed back a bit.

I guess it's a good thing that I drove the truck that day and not my Intrepid. I know it wouldn't have fared nearly as well as the truck in that impact, and with my luck it would've been enough to total it! :sick:
  • Hello people, it's been a minute since being here...

Now for the question, has anyone had problems with their tie rods going bad?? :mad: It happened to me and the repair was estimated at $650!! Talk about a rip-off because one of the mechanics offered to fix it for $200 and the parts was no more than $113..go figure. The things just rusted out and also caused my finance to wreck, sad.
  • I have a 2003 intrepid with 102000 miles. Lately when I leave my yard the car seems to jump out of gearlike it is in nueltral I wait a few minutes and it goes on like nothing happened. It does this until car warms up then it runs fine the rest of tht day
  • Hi, just checking to see if anyone may have a possible solution for my 02 Intrepid that keeps overheating. I have replaced the thermostat 3 times, the water pump, the pressure release valve, the fan relay, and the top and bottom hoses. Anybody have a similar problem that they were able to resolve or any ideas on what to do next? It has cost me about $2,000 so far and I am about ready to give up....HELP!!!!!!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    If you don't get a response here soon, you may want to try posting over in the M&R Cooling Systems: Problems & Solutions (Radiator, Fan, etc) topic.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Sorry I don't have any ideas for you. I'd think that most of that stuff you already did would have you covered. Unless, ulp, the radiator is going bad? Now personally, I've had good luck with my 2000 Intrepid 2.7, which has about 125,000 miles on it, but I have heard that the radiator can be a trouble spot.

Whatever you do, don't try to drive it if it overheats. That can destroy these modern aluminum engines very easily, and the repair bills can be scary. How many miles do you have on it? I had my coolant changed around 45 months/85,000 miles, even though it's supposedly good for 60 months/100,000 miles.
  • I took my 99 Intrepid to the dealer with a broken window washer. They said it needed a body control module, which could be installed for a mere $650+. WOW! Does anybody know of a better way to get this fixed?
  • fred222fred222 Posts: 200
    I hooked into the factory wiring and have a nice 5 channel amp installed under the front passenger seat. Sounds great.
  • fred222fred222 Posts: 200
    I also have a 99 Intrepid ES. I purchased this car new in Aug 1999. I get 22-24 mpg in the city and 28-30 mpg on the highway. I love the car, but it is getting old and a little small for my family with three kids. I have been looking for a replacement, but have not found anything that I really like or could justify getting to replace the Intrepid. This car looks good, drives great, is roomy, is very reliable and gets great mileage.
  • Need to know what happens when you push wash on turn signal stalk. Do you hear washer motor going? Do wipers start but no fluid is being sprayed on windshield? Doubt very much it is body control module. I have shop manual and will help if you answer questions.
  • Sorry for the delay. I didn't log in due to the holidays. Anyway, when I press the stalk the wipers run, but no liquid is sprayed and I don't hear the pump running. I have checked the fuse and the fluid level and found both to be OK. Appreciate your help.
  • using a test light see if the pump motor is getting power when the stalk is pressed if it is, see if by jumpering to washer motor from battery will pump fluid, if not it is probably the pump motor which is a lot cheaper than the body control module.
    Hello gang! I wanted to let you know that after a bit more than 7 years and 146,000 plus miles; I replaced my Steel Blue 2000 Intrepid ES with a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica Touring. It was difficult to part but the mileage was definately taking it's toll on the car. Plus the incentives and Premiere Event coupon for $1000 made it a sensible move. I'll still check in from time to time. All the best in 2007!
    Hey Jason, congrats on the new purchase. BTW, what kinds of things were starting to go on your 'Trep? My 2000 base model has about 126,000 miles on it now, and still seems to be going strong.

Did you get much in trade for yours? I figure I'll just keep mine until something cost-prohibitive fails on it, but I do get the occasional urge for a new Charger! I want to hold off for at least another year, though. It's nice not having a car payment.
    Hi Andre. Well, things were largely fine with my Trep (ES 3.2/Autostick) until just after 130,000. I had the radiator replaced, the alternator/starter, and lastly the A/C condensor. So...although they are items you might expect to replace after 100K, it just seemed to be time to move on. Plus, I had a $1000 Premiere Event coupon and excellent pricing--even on a 2007.
    I did get $1800 for my Intrepid which was about right considering the mileage. I had owned it for 7 years and one month, averaging just under 21,000 miles per year.
  • eewokeewok Posts: 2
    How does one replace the headlight bulbs in a 1994 Dodge Intrepid? I can't access the rear of the assembly.
  • Just did this this morning. The owners manual shows the two T-15 screws to remove and pull the headlamp out. The 9007 bulb goes in and out as you'd expect. However, there's a good chance that one or both of those bolts will not come out due to an engineer who needs his/her butt kicked. The "nut" end is imbedded into the plastic and will strip without much effort. I was able to drill out the head of the inboard bolt, snap out the turn signal and rotate the headlamp hinging on the remaining bolt. Then replace the destroyed bolt with a 3" one and a nut.
  • eewokeewok Posts: 2
    I don't have an owners manual, but after your explaination I was able to replace my lights without any trouble. Thanks.
  • darklodarklo Posts: 1
    thats because its the oil sending unit. $8.99 at auto zone then you need a 16 dollar oil sending unit tool that looks like a axel nut socket. you dont need a dealer the sender is on the left side next to the filter
  • no-- but if you hear of one let me know!!! :mad:
  • kmausskmauss Posts: 74
    Good morning. I am new to these boards, but I find them very interesting. I have a 2000 R/T that I have owned from new and taken immaculate care of -- except of course for the fact that it has been outside in the northeast, a factor over which I have had no control. The car just turned over 60,000 miles (yes I am blessed with a short commute) and the engine sounds as good as the day I drove it off the lot. I've never had a true "engine" problem, though the local Dodge dealer did find lines into the transmission leaking when I had it in for other repairs in December.

I know that I have a semi-rare car, especially one with this low of miles, and I love the car, so I am loathe to part with it. BUT ---- the past six months it's like a switch flipped labeled "time to fall apart around the engine." I've had to replace numerous and sundry dumb little things such as ignition switches, door lock mechanisms, wheel bearing assemblies, etc, etc. I'm a non-mechanically inclined single lady, so I'm not even attempting to fix any of this myself. It's like being nibbled to death by ducks, and I keep wondering where (if ever) it's going to end. :( And by the same token, how much $$$ do I want to keep putting into a seven year old car?

I'm just wondering what anyone else's experiences are with Intrepids of this age that have had to spend their life outside in northeast winters. Is my experience typical? Do they just start to fall apart at a point? Would I be dumb to part with it? :cry:

Many thanks for your opinions!
    Karen
    I'm just wondering what anyone else's experiences are with Intrepids of this age that have had to spend their life outside in northeast winters. Is my experience typical? Do they just start to fall apart at a point?

Well, I hate to say it but that whole thing about the body falling apart around a bulletproof engine has been a bit of a Mopar trademark since 1957! :P There was an old joke going around that the Dodge Dart was the worst car ever inflicted upon humanity, because they tended to leak water around the base of the windshield and fresh air intake, and get the front seat passengers' feet wet. But since the drivetrains were so indestructible, people would drive around in these cars, suffering with the water torture, long after most "mortal" cars had had long since blown an engine or transmission.

As for the Intrepid, well I bought a base model in 2000, and now have about 127,000 miles on it. It started having some minor issues when it was about a year and a half old. Stupid stuff, like the window seals shrinking, power adjust to the passenger mirror failing, the little cover to what would normally be the ashtray in the center console getting loose, etc. Now that I think about it, the power lock actuator in the driver's door went bad, and had to be replaced around 35,000 miles, when the car was only about 13 months old. I used to deliver pizzas part time, so I racked up the miles pretty quick early on.

Other than that though, I've been pretty lucky I guess. The car now has about 127,000 miles on it, and the closest thing to an engine problem I've ever had was a leaky thermostat housing, which was replaced around 51,000 miles.

I have heard of the leaky transmission lines running to the radiator being a common problem on the models with the 3.2 and 3.5 engine. I've also heard that power window failures can be somewhat common, although I've been lucky there, too.

I had to replace the front brake rotors around 99,000 miles, but was able to do it myself. Have you had your battery replaced yet? If not, when that time comes it's going to be a pain in the butt, because it's buried down low in the front passenger fender, between the wheel and the headlight assembly. It took me about 2 hours to replace mine, and it was a big enough pain that I swore I'd either trade in the car before it needed another battery, or just pay the mechanic to do it!

I'd say overall though, my car has aged fairly well. Most of the irritating stuff popped up between when it was about 1 1/2 to 3 years old, but nothing significant since then. Oh, around 87,000 miles (just shy of 4 years), the oil light came on. Luckily it was a problem with a sensor getting too hot and was fixed for free under a TSB.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question as to whether you should get rid of it or not. While the R/T is a fairly rare car (I wish I could've afforded one when I bought mine! And I did come close to trading mine in back in late 2003 for a used '02 R/T the dealer had on their lot), I don't think it's considered a very valuable car. The Intrepid's resale is pretty bad, regardless of the trim level or how well maintained it was. So on the plus side, the car has probably depreciated about all it's going to, so it's not like you have to ditch it immediately to keep from losing any more value.

But if the car is getting to the point that you just don't trust it anymore, it might be time to sell it and get something newer. It's really hard to put a dollar value on peace of mind. But at the same time, don't fool yourself into thinking that a Honda, Toyota, or whatever is automatically going to be bulletproof after 7 years, either. Often, things just start to go on a car once it gets older, no matter how low mileage it is.

Anyway, good luck, whatever you decide!
    I just noticed with my Intrepid. I don't drive the car regularly anymore, so I probably don't keep up on this stuff like I should. Anyway, the low washer fluid light comes on every time I start the car, with a ding, although it has plenty of fluid. The power steering pump seems to make a high-pitched grumble for a moment or two in the morning, the first couple times you turn the wheel. And every once in awhile, whenever the power locks lock/unlock, the one in the driver's side back-door makes kind of a sick sound, like a dying Teddy Ruxpin doll.
  • fbandyfbandy Posts: 2
    Has parking lights, no road lights, no head lights, can hold high beam switch up and will have high beams. Release switch and have no head lights. Replaced muti-function switch did not solve problem.

Any suggestions?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Could be both low beam bulbs are burned out?
  • kmausskmauss Posts: 74
    Thanks Andre! I haven't been back on the forums much in the past week or two, so I didn't see your reply until just now. At this point, I'm hanging onto it, but it's "on probation." (In other words, it if keeps costing me several hundred dollars per month, it's getting traded.) I still like the car and so far (knock on wood) it hasn't done anything bad engine-wise at all yet, so for now I'm continuing to fix the little stuff and see where we are in another few months. Karen
  • I've changed the bulbs. The bright lights will not stay on either unless you hold it up on flash to pass.