Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Venza Maintenance and Repair

what is the best OIL to extend the life of my Venza

Comments

• Venza owners like us don't need to worry about this problem but it is worth to view the video. In addition, I posted it on the this forum because the reporter drove the Venza to demonstrate what to do, in case, of sudden acceleration problem.

The video also shows how to stop our Venza that comes with electronic ignition in case of an emergency.

Now, I was shocked to see the VW at the end of video, brake overriding gas pedal which cannot be done in Toyota.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/RunawayToyotas/sudden-acceleration-toyota-cars-own- ers-rebel-accidents/story?id=8980479&page=2
  • When car is cold very slow in excelaration,I do let it warm up.I had a new trans put in by toyota May 7/07.It had the same problem ,also after normal engine temp,when coming to a complete stop and then excelerating car sems to want to take off by itself.Has there been any feed back on transmissions and exceleration.Also cannot find trans. fluid stick, is this a closed transmission?I was also told toyota might have to update computer in car ,is this right?
  • I never had any problems with sudden and unintended accelerations in my Venza.

The dealer replaced your transmission as a result of sudden or sluggish acceleration complaints? And when you come to a complete stop the car accelerates on its own.....without your foot on the gas pedal? That doesn't make sense.

I can see the car accelerating on its own when the cruise control is activated and when you move the cruise control lever to "resume", but the moment you step on or tap the brake pedal, the cruise control deactivates.

As for lack of fluid stick, yes it is a closed transmission good for 100K miles. Then you have to take it to the dealer to have them replace the fluid...and it uses a special fluid. Jiffy Lube won't know how to do it.
  • In all truth and honesty-please don't take this the wrong way.......................
    The Venza manual lists the recommended viscosity; follow that recommendation to a "T"

As far as brand consideration, the oil used during a standard service interval at a TOYOTA DEALER is your best bet for longevity and reliability. Some dealers use Toyota branded oil and some may use another brand.
  • For starters, I've owned a lot of cars and I have been inside a lot of cars, but I think this is the first and only vehicle that I've experienced such an issue like this.

The issue is, when riding in the rear outboard seats(winter time with very cold outdoor temps), I'm clearly able to notice a cold draft around the rear door handle and rear door handle cutout(when closing the door). I thought I was crazy at first, but after multiple trips in the rear seats I continue to notice this problem. On many occasions I asked my wife to increase the heat temperature to combat the coldness I feel, especially while my arm is resting on the rear door ledge.

If you're wondering why I sit in the rear of the car, is because we have a newborn, and sometimes it is necessary for me to sit next to him during a car ride.

I'd like to know if this is a major insulation problem with Toyota Venza's? I'm considering ripping off the rear door panels and stuffing some R-8 grade insulation inside. No joke.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,992
    Maybe the dealers have gotten better, but lots of people over the years have noted that dealers buy oil in bulk and pump the same 10w30 into every car that passes through the service bays.

If your dealer has big drums up in the shop ceiling with hoses hanging down, you may want to take your own oil to the shop to insure you really are getting the right weight oil.

It's be worth it to ask the service writer what drums hold what oil, and then casually mention that you have an oil analysis done every now and then to check on the engine wear and see what kind of reaction you get. ;)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Is the draft noticeable on both doors?

If it's just one door, maybe the plastic dust sheet inside the door didn't adhere right and is letting lots of air pass through. Or maybe there's just nothing around the cut-outs to help stop the drafts.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Steve,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I noticed the draft on the right rear door. I need to confirm the left rear door.
    I will post once I confirm. Thank you.
    Door panels are usually pretty easy to take off (famous last words?). Unscrew any trim around the handles, pop the clips starting at the bottom, and then lift up. You may have vanity lights to unhook too. But it sounds like you may have done this before.

Maybe you can figure out how Toyota did the front doors and replicate that for the rear doors.

Replacement clips for the ones you break taking the panel off can be found at the big box hardware store. :shades:

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    These days the manufacturer designates the oil type and viscosity just as much for FE as for engine life. Use of slightly heavier oil than recommended will not be harmful except for FE.

"..dealers buy oil in bulk.."

Yes, and often from re-refineries. Dealers have NO legal obligation to follow factory guidelines when performing routine maintenance procedures.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,213
    If he has a decent dealer, they might put some insulation in there for him under warranty. My dealer has been very cooperative on that type of stuff over the years.
    Yeah, good idea. Most dealers are pretty good about that "fit and finish" stuff for the first 12,000 miles.

• housethouset Posts: 36
    Just came across this information today. Thought I'd share. Very disappointing especially since I've been in the market for a Venza.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35111646/ns/business-autos
  • raysfanraysfan Posts: 13
    Why would this affect your decision? Venza is not on the recall list for the gas pedal issue. There is only a recall for Venza for all-weather floor mats, specifically the driver's side mat.

Check out Toyota's website to get all of the recall info.
    The Toyota "recall" isn't fully over...
  • In Canada the word is Venza's are included.

There is a link addressing the recall to the right side of the screen on edmunds.com and it has pictures that differentiate between those pedals made in North America that are part of the recall and those made in Japan that are not. Check the pictures, look at your gas pedal and you shall know.
  • I will correct myself.

I checked out the gas pedal on my Venza, and according to posted photos, it is the Denso(?) version which is not part of the recall. So, mine will not be part of the recall.

On another subject, I just read the following in a news post

"CTS, based in Elkhart, Ind., said Friday that the sticky accelerator pedals shouldn't "be linked with any sudden unintended acceleration incidents." The company said it isn't aware of any accidents and injuries caused by the rare slow-return pedal condition. CTS has also said that it employs Toyota's design in the production of the pedals."

A lady had her Matrix accelerate suddenly last year, and fortunately only drove it into a wood pile in the parking lot she was in. She had frequently complained to her dealer the gas pedal was sticking, but they could not find anything wrong. There has been a great deal of publicity in the Toronto papers of this case. I am sure CTS has been monitoring the press and read this story. And they have the audicity to say they are not aware of any accidents? Is this an attempted application of Hitler's big lie theory - tell it enough times and people will believe it? There is not problem? The lesson learned - don't expect the people responsible to fess up, they will play ostrich, if you have a problem keep nagging at them and be a pain in their side till you get what you want out of them.

P.S. I'll mail them the news article of the accident so they can be aware

http://www.thestar.com/wheels/article/756843--toyota-owners-fume-over-massive-re- call
  • Can anyone tell me if the 2009 Venza (6 cylinder, AWD) has a throttle body manufactured by Franklin Precision Industries in Franklin, KY?
    "...they (CTS) have audicity to say.."

CTS is simple saying their gas pedal is not the primary causative factor in the current run-a-way engine situation, Toyota needs to look elsewhere for that.
  • Agreed re "needs to look elsewhere for that." There's a lot more going on here than that. It's complicated, for sure.

I have finally determined that I have the Denso pedal in my car. Now I need to find out if Franklin Precision manufactured the throttle body in my Venza. Anybody got any clues, suggestions, as to how I can find this out? I've called Franklin Precision, but I'll be shocked if the woman calls me back.

My dealership rep is so flustered, I feel I'm getting doublespeak. Last week, he told me I had the CTS pedal and in the next breath he said it has the Denso. I had to go out with a flashlight and determine that for myself.

Any help you can give me re the throttle body would be greatly appreciated.
  • Folks, this is a lot bigger than floormats. If you believe it's just bad floormat design, then you don't read much.

While one or two of the accidents may have been correctly tied to floormats, the pundits believe Toytota's sudden unintended acceleration (sustained) is a multilayered problem and ultimately has something to do with either the sensors in the drive by wire or a software problem in the main computer. Or, it may be tied to the allegedly broken throttle body shafts supplied by a Kentucky manufacturer. Or, it could be singularly one of the above or a combination thereof.

Whatever the cause, the solution to any of the above causes of SUA or any not listed would have been to engineer a failsafe, in that the brake would override the throttle, such as those in European cars, BUT they did not. Big mistake.

Toyota is playing the percentages right now and going for the cheapest smoke screen they can find. They hope to paper over this mess and pray that the furor dies down. Think about it: a plane crashes, 240 people die and the public on the whole doesn't stop flying. Toyota's attitude seems to be that ONLY 19 people have died in SUAs over the past 5 or 8 years (depending on the accidents you count in the SUA numbers.)

When I called about my Venza being on the recall list, I actually had my dealer say to me in a very irritated voice: "Look, people get into car crashes every day. People die in car crashes every day." Now THAT's audacity.
  • this thread is about VENZA. I posted floormat recall because Venza is not listed on the pedal recall!

Now let's see who doesn't read!

"No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, Highlander hybrids and certain Camry models, including Camry hybrids, all of which remain for sale."

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572- .aspx
  • Oh please. If that is what you want to believe, fine by me.

BTW, the Transportation Secretary just said those affected by the pedal recall should all stop driving their cars and head to the dealer for repairs. This isn't going away quietly.
    The Transportation Secretary turned around and said he "misspoke".

Edmunds.com Responds to LaHood Flip-Flop about Toyota Recall (dBbusinessNews)

The pedal mess could very well reach the Venza ... and Ford and Chevy. Well, it's already reached Ford in China where they recalled some Transit Connects. But that's no reason for us to get snarky with each other.

• Steve, well said and agreed. I'm still trying to find out about the throttle manufacturer for the Venza. Any suggestions on how I can find out? Thanks in advance,
    Yeah, grab a flashlight and crawl around under the dash. There are identifying marks on the accelerator and it's not hard to tell the Denso apart from the CTS model. I don't think there's a third supplier.

Toyota Recall Update #3: How To Tell Which Pedal You Have (Straightline)

• Just a fyi, all Venza's have the Denso gas pedal. There are 2 production lines at the Kentucky plant, one line uses the CTS pedal while the other line uses the Denso pedal. All Venzas are produced on the line that uses the Denso pedal... That is also why the Camry Hybrid isn't included in the pedal recall. Produced on the same line as the Venza so will also have the Denso pedal.
    And when Toyota/etc admits, finally, that none of the "above" were the base cause of some instances of UA...??