Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Venza Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Agreed re "needs to look elsewhere for that." There's a lot more going on here than that. It's complicated, for sure.

I have finally determined that I have the Denso pedal in my car. Now I need to find out if Franklin Precision manufactured the throttle body in my Venza. Anybody got any clues, suggestions, as to how I can find this out? I've called Franklin Precision, but I'll be shocked if the woman calls me back.

My dealership rep is so flustered, I feel I'm getting doublespeak. Last week, he told me I had the CTS pedal and in the next breath he said it has the Denso. I had to go out with a flashlight and determine that for myself.

Any help you can give me re the throttle body would be greatly appreciated.
  • Folks, this is a lot bigger than floormats. If you believe it's just bad floormat design, then you don't read much.

While one or two of the accidents may have been correctly tied to floormats, the pundits believe Toytota's sudden unintended acceleration (sustained) is a multilayered problem and ultimately has something to do with either the sensors in the drive by wire or a software problem in the main computer. Or, it may be tied to the allegedly broken throttle body shafts supplied by a Kentucky manufacturer. Or, it could be singularly one of the above or a combination thereof.

Whatever the cause, the solution to any of the above causes of SUA or any not listed would have been to engineer a failsafe, in that the brake would override the throttle, such as those in European cars, BUT they did not. Big mistake.

Toyota is playing the percentages right now and going for the cheapest smoke screen they can find. They hope to paper over this mess and pray that the furor dies down. Think about it: a plane crashes, 240 people die and the public on the whole doesn't stop flying. Toyota's attitude seems to be that ONLY 19 people have died in SUAs over the past 5 or 8 years (depending on the accidents you count in the SUA numbers.)

When I called about my Venza being on the recall list, I actually had my dealer say to me in a very irritated voice: "Look, people get into car crashes every day. People die in car crashes every day." Now THAT's audacity.
  • this thread is about VENZA. I posted floormat recall because Venza is not listed on the pedal recall!

Now let's see who doesn't read!

"No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, Highlander hybrids and certain Camry models, including Camry hybrids, all of which remain for sale."

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572- .aspx
  • Oh please. If that is what you want to believe, fine by me.

BTW, the Transportation Secretary just said those affected by the pedal recall should all stop driving their cars and head to the dealer for repairs. This isn't going away quietly.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    The Transportation Secretary turned around and said he "misspoke".

Edmunds.com Responds to LaHood Flip-Flop about Toyota Recall (dBbusinessNews)

The pedal mess could very well reach the Venza ... and Ford and Chevy. Well, it's already reached Ford in China where they recalled some Transit Connects. But that's no reason for us to get snarky with each other.
  • Steve, well said and agreed. I'm still trying to find out about the throttle manufacturer for the Venza. Any suggestions on how I can find out? Thanks in advance,
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Yeah, grab a flashlight and crawl around under the dash. There are identifying marks on the accelerator and it's not hard to tell the Denso apart from the CTS model. I don't think there's a third supplier.

Toyota Recall Update #3: How To Tell Which Pedal You Have (Straightline)
  • Just a fyi, all Venza's have the Denso gas pedal. There are 2 production lines at the Kentucky plant, one line uses the CTS pedal while the other line uses the Denso pedal. All Venzas are produced on the line that uses the Denso pedal... That is also why the Camry Hybrid isn't included in the pedal recall. Produced on the same line as the Venza so will also have the Denso pedal.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    And when Toyota/etc admits, finally, that none of the "above" were the base cause of some instances of UA...??
  • I crawled underneath and with a camera snapped a picture of the gas pedal assembly. It has the 3 bolts and "Denso" stamp. Also checked clearance between the gas pedal and floor mat (standard, not all-weather). I don't see a problem. We feel better.

Haven't experienced any surge acceleration caused by computer hiccup.....yet.

Hal.
  • I read an interesting article in the Detroit Free Press about the sudden accel. problems. Looking past the pedal and mats, electronic interference from cell phones, power lines or even resturant microwave ovens could also cause the sudden accel problem. One way some mfgs prevent this, such as MB, Audi ,is with a brake override system. With this system as soon as the brake is applied the throttle message is cancelled.

The article states that Toyota has now been adding this override to their vehicles.
    Does the Venza (hopefully) have such a brake override system? If not is Toyota planning on adding as part of a recall? Thanks
  • I have an 09 Venza. I put my floormat in the trunk, dont know if it is the regular or the all weather but it is in the trunk. Pedal is made by Denso so, so far so good. The next worry is the electrical interference possibility from a cell phone, power lines etc. A brake override system, currently in some cars seems to be the next step to put my mind at ease.
  • Checked my V6 09 Venza floor mats -- they are secured to the floor with 2 hooks and they has not moved an inch in the last 2 month (my last visit to carwash); the clearance between floor and the pedal is normal, no different than in my other car M3. What is this recalled based of? Do those hooks become loose overtime or is there any other reason? :confuse:
  • why take the chance? remove the mat and throw it in the garage until you get the recall letter from Toyota. I quess they will either tell you your mat is not the problem, give you a new mat or add an additional hook.
  • Toyota said Monday night that it was expanding the number of vehicles that will receive a brake override system, meant to reduce engine power when the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are pressed simultaneously. It will add the feature on 2005 to 2010 model Tacomas, 2009 to 2010 Venzas and the 2008 to 2010 model Sequoia. It already announced plans to install the system on five other models. In a statement, Toyota said it had received a Securities and Exchange Commission request and a federal grand jury subpoena for documents related to the sudden unintended acceleration.

Any one hear anything about this? I have an 09 Venza. What exactly will this overide system entail?
  • johnk12johnk12 Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Venza with 1,600 miles on it. I was pulling into my driveway, put on the brake and pushed my built-in garage door opener. The garage door was about one foot off the ground, when the car suddenly accelerated at a great speed at over 5,000 rpms. I was headed straight to crash into the garage door and through the back of my garage into my family room. I immediately put both feet on the brake, then jammed the car into neutral, then reverse, then park. The engine was still racing at over 5,000 rpms. I then shut it off. I sat there for 5 minutes, heart pounding. Called the dealer and had it towed to the dealership.

A few days later, I received a call from the dealership that my car is ready for pick-up and I could view a video they sent me via e-mail I viewed the staged, phony video where they had purposely placed a light plastic floor mat on top of the gas pedal and said that was the problem. No pedal fix, no brake override, even though I read them over the phone Toyota's Feb. 22 press release that 2009 and 2010 Venza's were added to the brake override system list. By the way, as soon as I shut off the engine, I immediately looked down and no floor mat was anywhere near the gas pedal. To achieve those rpms, two bricks would have had to have been sitting on the gas pedal.

I let the car sit for 6 days while exploring lawyers and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. None were of help. I picked the car up yesterday and held my breath driving home. This weekend I will try to trade it in for another make, I'm sure at a significant loss.

Clearly, there is something wrong with the electronic control system.
  • housethouset Posts: 36
    Thanks for sharing your story. This is extremely unsettling. Although the Venza is exactly the car i want to buy for it's style and price, I will not risk my family's safety until Toyota wakes up and starts working toward a real solution.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "...What exactly will this overide entail..."

Basically a whole bunch of SHEER IDIOCY...!!!

The indications, at this moment, is that the engine control ECU is "out to lunch", stuck in an illegal instruction execution sequence, when UA occurs. So it is shear idiocy to add more firmware, BTO firmware, to the engine ECU with the expectation it will work.

But that's what the idiots at Toyota/etc (NipponDenso and Denso US, in reality) appear to be proposing.
  • jkl01jkl01 Posts: 1
    the news that your Venza reacted with UA during the braking process has reinforced my first reactions to my car's brakes. My Venza brakes are behaving like they will accelerate as I apply the brakes and only after a momentary delay and surge does the brakes kick in.Its somewhat reminescent of a clutch that is held too long and the engine continues and no braking occurs, or sometimes the cars lurges faster. At some point, following your article I wonder if my brakes will not kick in before the surge gets out of control. Its like I have to be very very careful when children are on my street that the car will brake or even slow down when I want it to. My car doesnt have 1000 miles on it yet. I've had it in the shop and the report was that they could not find anything wrong at this time.