Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Jerry:

Thanks. That sounds about right for strut replacements and alignment, in the ballpark normally anyway. You didn't says what the cost of the new car would be, so it is harder to assess which would be best. I personally don't think that $800 is alot for the premium struts once you ride in the car and see how it transforms it, but.....that depends on how long you really keep cars. If you turn them over, and you like the 05/06, then I agree, I would not spend the money. I think I would rather just have a new one.

However, I am much more comfortable upgrading, fixing and working on what I have. Maybe I am just gettin older, but I just started to get comfortable with this 02 after 70K. It took me 1.5 years just to get it correct anyway. My last car I sold at 236K and I would have no problem keeping this for 300K. The new one in addition does not fit my needs as this model does as I mentioned in the past. It does not have a bench seat option and has only 50% of the towing capacity, something I need for my LOG HOME/40 acres. NO...I don't really want a truck, I want a nice big car, that can pull a utility trailer so this worked for me.

Again, the new one is nice, and the speed of it, seems inviting, but it does not add up for some of us as they have changed it. I like the Ford 500 better, if it wasn't a Ford.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • 5539655396 Posts: 529
    "You didn't says what the cost of the new car would be"

We drove an XLS with a window of $32k+. Selling price was $30k+. If I could sell mine for $21-22k, and move up 3 years, to a Touring for $25-26k range (I think they list for $27k?), It wouldn't be too hard to take. I think someone posted that one dealer was discounting $3k, and $4k for the touring. Maybe the Touring is a slow seller. But I will probably look for a used one in Arizona this winter or next if I don't do the struts. I suppose I could just do the bushibgs for now. I can live with the struts except when there are passengers in the back or we have the trunk loaded. Then we get the Buick float with no control back there. I HATE that. But this is my wifes car, and she loves it, so I grin and bear it - to a certain extent anyway. She certainly wouldn't have a problem with a new one though.
    "You didn't says what the cost of the new car would be"

We drove an XLS with a window of $32k+. Selling price was $30k+. If I could sell mine for $21-22k, and move up 3 years, to a Touring for $25-26k range (I think they list for $27k?), It wouldn't be too hard to take. I think someone posted that one dealer was discounting $3k, and $4k for the touring. Maybe the Touring is a slow seller. But I will probably look for a used one in Arizona this winter or next if I don't do the struts. I suppose I could just do the bushings for now. I can live with the struts except when there are passengers in the back or we have the trunk loaded. Then we get the Buick float with no control back there. I HATE that. But this is my wifes car, and she loves it, so I grin and bear it - to a certain extent anyway. She certainly wouldn't have a problem with a new one though.
  • udwoudwo Posts: 2
    I have seen this problem listed here a feew times but no one ever said what the fix was. I have my stereo volume going up and down at times. it is really anoying b/c i only listen to my iPod and it is really distracting. Any ideas?
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    I unfortunately can't offer a fix, but only note that I have a 2000 XLS with the same issue. We have had another Stereo put in (factory JBL) for another reason, and it does it also.
    How about a spoiler for your Avalon? OE style primed for $72, or factory color match for $138. Just type in Avalon Spoiler on ebay or try this link. I put one of these on mine a year or so ago.

http://search.ebay.com/0-avalon-spoiler_W0QQfromZR7QQfsopZ1QQsatitleZ0Q2aQ20avalonQ20spoil- er
  • During a turn and brake move there is a loud clicking noise from the front wheel. The rotor and caliper pads look good. Nothing seems loose on the suspension when checked by hand. Has someone else had to deal with this?
    Check the outer CV joint.

abfisch
  • nrk10nrk10 Posts: 1
    This is my first time posting.

I was wondering if someone would tell me how to program my keyless remote for my 2000 Avalon XL (if not, I would really appreciate it if someone would tell me where I could find this information).

Thanks a lot!

Nick :shades:
  • rzep3rzep3 Posts: 7
    Does anyone know how to change a serpentine belt on 2001 Avalon ?
    Is this really hard ? I think mine is slipping and does not appear
    that hard to change this ...

thanks
  • pcp2pcp2 Posts: 12
    Thank you par_pa for this info. I cleaned the mass air flow with a 1/4" artist brush using a small amount of alcohol. I have over 1500 miles on the car after doing this and NO VSC or CHECK ENGINE light. Thanks again for your help.
  • I havn't been able to find one yet. Been searching google for hours. I'm looking for a wiring diagram of the wires coming out of the stock head unit and connecting to the amplifier. Anyone have one?
  • http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pietoyaux.html
    don't know if it is exactly what you are looking for, but may find it in there somewhere. Good luck
  • Help my 98 is making a very very loud thumping sound but only when we go in reverse????

thanks
  • My 2003 Avalon has just started making a strange "ssssssssssshhh" noise when I make a reasonably sharp turn to the right or brake somewhat hard. Sounds like water sizzling on a hot griddle and sounds like it is coming from behind the glove box.

Anyone else ever hear this? Could it be a blocked cowl drain? Anyone know how to access the cowl drains?

Thanks
    Ken
  • sokosoko Posts: 1
    I went with the CR recommendation for the ZIEX 512s. Bought them online. They're not the high-dollar (paying for marketing hype) tires that some others are (the ones you see on the TV all the time), but they ARE a great tire.

I put them on over 17K miles ago and no problems. They're wearing well (nothing abnormal anyways, can't see any wear).

Very comfortable ride, great handling. Did drive in some snow and didn't notice anything "weird".

I've not done wrong by going with CR best buy products and the ZIEXs are living up to what CR said.
    Couldn't agree more. The only thing I would say CON would be the tire distinctive tire whine, but the sporty ride, superior wet weather traction and the price which was superb, more than make up for it. Very strong tire without all the hoopla.

abfisch
  • I purchased my Saab tires at Tire Rack, and had them installed by a Tire Rack recommended dealer in my area. The correct Avalon XLS tire size (16 inch wheels) would be P205-60HR16, and the current Tire Rack price, including shipping to my zipcode, is $384. I paid $80 for expert installation and balancing (very good service but somewhat expensive, I feel).

Goodyear also has a promotion for a $50 gas incentive, which effectively chops a few dollars off the tire price.

Like Abfisch, I wasn't a fan of Goodyear. I'm very happy, however, with these quiet tires on my Saab. My Avalon has the Blizzak winter tires. :blush:
    mcclearyfl:

Funny to get on this thread. CR newest publication has a new set of tires comparisons. Would it you know it substantiates what you have said above. Although, I do feel it was rather incomplete, as a bunch of major brands were left out, and too many Michelin tires were in the list, the tire you bought seemed to be at the top of the pack for an AS tire. Sweet.

abfisch
  • We made an offer on a 2001 Avalon, simply love everything about it--except 1 thing. There's a definite rattle seemingly coming from the steering wheel/column and/or dash which is quite annoying. Our offer is contingent upon the Toyota dealership resolving the problem. We were told today that they've now spent 2 days working on it, that they've taken the steering column and dash apart and so far can't find the problem. I'm afraid they'll be giving up on it soon. Did you ever get yours fixed? Solution?