Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Friend of my mine got in a serious accident when he claims his brakes locked up on his 2002 Avalon when he had to stop suddenly.
    I'm not sure if he applied them correctly, but it might be worth while testing them out to see if they really work.
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Doesn't surprise me. The brakes stick are they weather as the pads in the caliper suppose to slide on the mounting bolts. Have always had trouble with the rears, not so much the fronts, but inferior Toyota quality on these parts too.

abfisch
  • I have a 2001 Avalon which I purchased used. I live in Canada and in the winter when the heating system is set to auto the air selector is automatically set to blow heat out at the floor level. If I change it to blow heat from both the floor level and the windshield level, it changes from auto to manual. In other words, I can't use the auto temp selector and at the same time have the air come out anywhere except at the floor level. This is a problem because the windshield fogs up without the extra air coming from the windshield vents. Is this normal?
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    Someone with auto-temp will need to answer your post, mine does not have it. This is exactly why mine does not have it. The auto-temp is a known weakness in all 2004 and prior Avalons. They have various issues. Scroll back thru all the many posts over the years and you can read all about it.

The struts and front brakes are the other usual suspects in these cars.. and watch for battery corrosion around the negative post. But after that, they are great cars. On my second, an '03 XL. Enjoy your Avy. :)
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    i have a 96 avalon with auto temp. i typically dont play with the auto during winter. you could always use the defrost mode to clear the windshield. maybe the login in the auto climate control unit is designed to blow heat below at first and then slowly start to blow onto the windshield. Just a guess. i"ll try on mine.
    Fin:

Ditto. 02 Avalon XL. Put on my own gismos. Auto temp. is another sham on the consumer as is Navigation. Nothing that a large print AAA atlas and a compass would not do. Could not spend the extra 3K for that stuff when I know it is going to break or not work right in the first place.

Discs breaks, especially rear discs in the northen states are another sell. Drum brakes have much less problems with rust and corrosion as they are protected somewhat. Ask any mechanic. My old civic rears never gave me any trouble through multiple Vermont and upper New York state winters. Avalon rears doing every two years minimum, just to get them movin and working right.

Struts issues are resolved with premium dampers. While costly, very worthwhile if keeping the car. Not quite BMW like, but much more controlled.

abfisch
  • I'm trying to replace the cabin air filter on a 2002 Avalon. Though it is easily seen with the glove box open, I do not know how to get to it. On our 2002 Camry, you press in the pivots on the side of the glove box, it drops down and you pull out the filter. On the Avalon, I removed the 3 top screws, the bottom screw and the bottom right bolt. I also removed the passenger side kick panel. The glove box still did not move. Do you have any ideas on how to gain access to the filter? Thanks
  • 66gman66gman Posts: 12
    sounds like you got all the fastners, now take hold of the upper part and at the same time likewise on the bottom. Give a hard steady pull as it is held by several clips. This should do it. I was at the same spot you're in, called the dealer and he said as above
    hope this helps
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,061
    Returning to my car in the parking lot today, there was an identical Silver Spruce Avalon XLS parked next to me. I thought I was seeing double but the other car had some dry cleaning in it so I know it was not mine.

When I pressed my remote entry fob both cars chirped and the lights on both cars flickered. After I started my car and drove off the alarm on the other came on.

So my question to you boardies, what are the chances that both cars are programmed with the same key code and would my key actually start the engine of the other car? Was that coincidence or is this a serious security risk and should I report this to Toyota?
  • I have a '98 Avalon with the same problem as described here:

nguyet, "Toyota Avalon Owners: Problems & Solutions" #83, 10 Jan 2003 9:59 am

After a little research, the TSB number is:
    AC005-99 DEC 99 A/C - ATC Indicators Intermittently Inoperative

It appears that average repair runs about $700-$800.

Glubash
  • I have a 2000 xls and I was changing the battery and the battery connectors- when I finished, I drove the car into the garage and at that time I noticed that the tachometer, odometer, spedometer, gas gauge, temp, etc was not working. I checked all the fuses and they were fine. Also I had a toyota technician check the problem and they had no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated- especially since I cannot tell how fast I am driving, how much gas is in the car, etc....Thanks!
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    why dont you try disconnecting the battery again, leave for a few minutes and connect. this will resest pretty much everything and hopefully everything will turn out fine.
  • You need to have your air conditioner recharged. Your air conditioner coolant is low and it is boiling and that is what you hear is the pressure from it boiling going through the system.
    I am getting the itch to replace my 2000 Avalon XLS. It has 47,000 miles and has been trouble-free except for a roof leak that was repaired under warranty.

I have looked at the new Avalon but I am under-whelmed. The new Hyundai Azera looks nice but I am a bit concerned about resale value.

Just as I was reluctantly thinking of getting a new Avalon, Toyota comes out with the 2007 Camry which has a lot of visual appeal, size, and refinement that makes the Avalon look staid. So as soon as the new Camry is available I might be bringing home a new XLE.

Meanwhile, it will be a shame to trade in my current Avalon as I know the dealer will seriously low-ball me.
    bwia:

Resist the itch at all costs. The new Hyundai is very nice, but it is a first year model. Don't do it. The newer Avalon, allow improved in some areas, is now degraded in other areas(towing capacity, trunk space, 6 passenger, etc). If you 00 is good, and it was a first model year, upgrade the suspension to make you smile. You must have near 100K at this time anyway, unless you have already changed your struts.

Resist at least until the newer models have been out awhile.

abfisch
    abfisch,

I have 47,000 original miles on my 00 Avalon and it is in mint condition. I remember you writing about upgrading your suspension but I wonder about cost (more than a $1,000) and handling characteristics.

To be honest, I prefer a semi-soft cushy ride, that's why the "Euro-sedan" feel has never really appealed to me. From what I have read and seen, next to the Avalon, the Azera comes closet to my tastes and preferences.

Nevertheless, the Azera is not cheap; and being a first year model is not of much concern to me since the car is assembled in South Korea and is a mirror image of an existing model the Grandeur.

But my point was/is since the new Camry XLE is so well equipped and looks much more aesthetically pleasing than the Avalon, (or the Azera for that matter) maybe the Camry is a better alternative to the Avalon/Azera dilemma. Choices, choices….

bwia:

I would have to agree with you, although the Camry is the first model year too, which would exclude it from a purchase for some. Nevertheless, the difference b/w the Avalon and Camry now remains to be seen but to some small.

I would wait then, and compare the Azera to the Camry next year. That should give you more to go on.

abfisch
  • Anyone know where else to buy a master key with chip for my '99 Avalon XLS? Does the dealer have to program or can you do it yourself? Dealer wants $46 for key and $48 for programming! I just want a second key that works. Thanks.
  • Does anyone have any experience with using Synthetic ATF oil? I have been swapping in Penzoil Synthetic ATF, and am hoping I am not creating any problems. Car is a 2002 Avalon with 90k miles.
  • If your talking about the keypad, then yes you should be able to program it yourself. I can e-mail you the instructions if you give me your e-mail address.