Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• sstrange1sstrange1 Member Posts: 5
    Is this a good price or not for a 2001 XL Avalon (29,607)total drive-out or was I overcharged?
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    pricing depends very much on where you are, or purchase, the car. If you got your 2001 XL with leather, and alloy wheels, you got a good deal. At most you left a 100-200$ on the table (but this is only a guess). If you got yours with premium paint, and a sunroof, you got a great deal.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I can't tell if you got a deal or not without knowing how much of that price is tax and tags.
  • ltd2ltd2 Member Posts: 14
    i bought a 2000 xls model in June 2000, have 9000 miles on it.
    my conclusion is, this car is overpriced, not a great car.
    Pros: quietness
    Cons: dash rattles, squeaks
    steering wheel noise
    windshield reflection
    rough gear-switching
    not big enough tires for the body
    real window defrogger clicks
    average leather quality
    no solid feeling on freeway speed
    average crash test
    average side windows and rear door open/close.
    average brakes

all these little things add up, i won't buy another americanized toyota!
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    And an important one at that. Resale, or residual, value at trade in time. It isn't going to be any better with most other makes, for sure. In spite of the deficiencies you seem to have with your Avalon, take some consolation with that fact, plus what seems to be a fairly good reputation for reliability.
  • rjickarjicka Member Posts: 1
    I recently took a look at the 300L. Nice car - but, v. Avalon

XL: a. More weight, less power; b. Less room in rear; c. Memory seats but not memory mirrors (Ava XL is without memory seats); d. XL has no wood trim (but is available as an option); e. Premium sound is an option on the Ava XL, but the CD changer (an option on the 300) is in the dash - not the trunk; f. And most important the Ava XL is a TOYOTA!
  • ultra63ultra63 Member Posts: 3
    I seriously considered the 2001 avalon xls to replace a 1998 v6 xle camry but was disappointed in ave reliability and 3 star driver crash test for avalon. I got a "certified" ( 3 year additional lexus warranty, new tires et al)1998 ls400 with navigation etc from a lexus dealer for under 32K and suggest others consider this option if like me they are looking for a bigger Camry. The ls400 is a rival for a S series mercedes and the avalon is a stretched camry with apparent less reliability and unclear safety and buick styling.
  • clark217clark217 Member Posts: 25
    I have been researching near-luxury cars for a couple of months and found this town hall after I had tentatively decided on an Avalon XLS. Thanks, everyone, for all the info. Armed with all the knowledge I had gained from this TH, I test drove two XLSs (both were option 7 w/ sun roof, VSC and mats, w/ 16" Michelin MXV4s) last week - one during the day and one at night for about 20 minutes each time. IMHO this is a great car! I drove out in the dark country at night and only saw a faint reflection on the windshield. If I hadn't been searching for it, I would likely never have noticed it. It was higher on the windshield and not in my line of vision (I am 5'9"). Both cars were very stable at 80 mph (there was only a slight wind). FWIW the radio sounded great. The seats were very comfortable and I was able to find a comfortable driving position with no trouble (I am very portly and was concerned about the padding and driving position). My wife (5'2" and slender) was also able to quickly find a comfortable driving position and was very impressed with the car's comfort, ride, and how it handled. She did not experience any problems with reflection either. Before I buy, I will drive the car more extensively, but my initial experiences were very positive. (FWIW, I liked the Vintage Red Pearl best with the Taupe interior. The ivory interior had too much contrast)

OTOH, I too, noticed the average reliability rating on the 2000 model by CR. It is apparently due to slightly more more problems with power accessories and controls, squeaks and rattles, and door and window mechanisms. The seat heater problems, radio reception and squeaks and rattles have been reported here previously. Anyone have any other major problems besides those that have been reported already? IMHO we will need to get data for another year or two, before deciding if this a trend or a quirk in the 2000 models that Toyota will iron out. The repair record and resale value is still far better than the competing American models.
    After I turn off the engine I hear this constant clicking noise somewhere under the car? What is this noise??
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    I would guess the Catalytic Converter.
    is the exhaust system cooling down. I hear it when the temperature is below 35.
  • sxpoppsxpopp Member Posts: 7
    When I turn the ignition off on my 2000 XL to ACC, the JBL radio seems to loose some of it's bass. Is this by design? Thanks.
    The bass amplifier is turned on when the engine is running. You wont get the full effect of the sound unless the car is on.
    A simple click on my profile will reveal that I am in fact a salesman at a Toyota dealership. I have made no secret of this fact. My posting to sxpopp was in response to his realization that the stereo reduced the bass output when the ignition was off. I simply posted the correct information about the JBL amplifier. If you are experiencing a drop in levels with the car running, you must have a problem unrelated to what I have described.

Relax a bit. Take the time to read my post in its proper context.
  • boordboord Member Posts: 27
    For anyone who has been reading this group for awhile it is a known fact that cliffy is indeed a toyota salesman. He has never denied it and has been very helpful in answering lots of questions about avalons and toyotas in general. I, for one, appreciate his inputs.

I have a 2000 XLS. It pulls neither left nor right. JBLs have always had an artificial sound to their high frequencies - but that's my ear. I find the seats very comfortable. Compared to my old '90 Honda Accord, the XLS is a luxury car in terms of ride comfort and features offered. Compared to 7 series BOW, the XLS might be considered nonluxury, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

rceggi, why don't you get rid of the Avalon and get the car you have listed as your dream car - the maserati. Tell us how you like the quiet, smooth ride of the maserati. Tell us how you like the reliability, ease and cost of repair of the maserati. Tell us about how easily you can enjoy the radio in the maserati. And yet I would never deny that a Maserati is considered a luxury car by most.

I'm happy with the XLS. If you're not, why not get what does make you happy - life's to short.
  • j_walkerj_walker Member Posts: 99
    Amen!
    the good input. I appreciate your quick, candid answers to questions asked in this forum. As you have seen in my previous posts on this forum that I came from a Volvo S70, and the transition was a tough one. I have finally gotten to the point where I like the Avalon very much for its quite, smooth ride, and reliability. Neither of these qualities are present in older Volvos. I also like the design touches, like the car re-locking itself after 30 seconds if the doors aren't opened, and the autolocking when the car is in motion, the location and function of the cruise control, etc. Hopefully, Toyota will only continue to add features like this, not de-content their cars. That said, I do think the Avalon is only a good car, but could be a GREAT, with little or no additional expense, if it (a) had better brakes (b) had comfortable seats (c) a better on center feel when on the highway at high speed (d) improved its frontal; crash rating (personally, I think they need to re-test a few more cars to see if this was just a freak occurence). The on center steering feel/tracking problem I think is related to the type of tire available (I've asked friends of mine that own Avalons what their impressions are, and all have said they swapped out their tires for Michelins, Toyos or Yokahamas, and have not had any tracking problems afterward...this was also true of the previous Avalon design). Also, for a car like the Avalon to ever be sold with steel wheels (vs alloy) is beyond comment...this should be an option for those in very cold weather conditions.
    ... for the positive comments. Ya'll made my day Boord, j walker and joel.
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    In a beauty contest the GM's Aztek would be beaten solidly by the Avalon for ugliness.. It has a excellent resale value; but come on folks, the public could question your preception of style/class, maybe function???

After reading some of the owners comments; I am confused as to why they selected Avalon..I think the general thought was that the Avalon was the Japanese answer to AARP's LeSabre..

The Avalon has a shape of an aircraft carrier--small at the waterline and fat at the top..it could have a center of gravity problem..

I am just passing through this thread, so relax owners, we had a discussion on our forum and the Avalon shape came up...
  • max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    after 20,000 miles.
    The Good: Quiet ride, good acceleration, lots of room and comfortable seats.

The bad: Tires are worn after only 20,000 (What kills me is we have had them rotated on every 5,000 mile interval). Rattles coming from the windows.

If no serious problems occur this is a good car for the money.
  • sxpoppsxpopp Member Posts: 7
    I appreciate the info on my stereo question. This BB is a great place to find answers to questions about our cars. We should be happy that it is available for us to exchange thoughts and knowledge.
    What's the average cost for TTL and doc fee(?) for an Avalon XL? Thanks.
    The cost of tax and tags is set by your state legislature. In VA, tax is 3% on cars and tags are $36.50 per year. I have no idea about what this is where you live.
  • njroadienjroadie Member Posts: 1
    Are there fixes yet for the dashboard glare issue and the stereo volume changing issue. These are the only 2 issues I have with my 2000 XLS after 18,000 miles. Overall, they are minor issues, but would certainly like them fixed.

I am tall, and the glare is visible. Turning down the dash lights helps. The stereo volume goes up or down with both the stereo and DC, so it is not a reception problem.
    None that I know about. As usual, I'll post anything I hear on those.
  • rzepa2rzepa2 Member Posts: 24
    I am only 5'8'' and I find the glare annoying as hell. Thankfully, I don't drive much after sunset.I wish Toyota would do something about it.

Have no problem with radio. Still XL comes with the Toyota one.
  • berzerkerberzerker Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I'm in the market for an Avalon/Lexus ES 300/ BMW 300 series, etc. I read Edmunds reviews on all the cars and discover they have a particular preference for BMWs (duh!) because of their perfomance. Can anyone share their insight into why these reviews are "performance" based. Why do all cars have to be rated based upon how well they perform in a slalom or how fast they get from 0-60? I've always looked for comfort, ease of driving and dependability in a car and would like to see a review based on those qualities without being made to feel that if I buy anything but a performance based car I'll be settling for less than the best or, worse, wasting my money. Not everyone wants a stiff suspension and a thrilling ride. Am I off base here?
    What is the average cost in Texas for TTL for an Avalon XL? What are others paying (approx)? Thanks.
  • gary_2000gary_2000 Member Posts: 5
    I saw the other board talking about paint chips and drift to left side and posted the same problems I have with my Avalon AL 2000 with 7500 miles on it. It looks like that is not an active board. Anyway, there are already three chips on the car, which is three too many. I didn't have this chip problem with my other older toyota. There are two same complaints on the other board about paint chips and drifts. Since this is more active board, I'd like to know whether these are common problems.

Thanks
  • stanman2stanman2 Member Posts: 9
    I AGREE: CHARGES FOR WHITE PAINT. GET REAL TOYOTA. IS AVALON A TOYOTA PRODUCT? AVERAGE RELIABILITY AT A MARKET PREMIUM PRICE. PLUS THEIR MARKETING THING GETS ME! NO ONE ELSE HAS PAGE AFTER PAGE OF OPTIONS. LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE DOING THERE BEST TO DISCOURAGE BUSINESS.

I OWN TWO OLDER TOYOTA'S BUT GUESS I'LL JUST FIX ON THEM AND DRIVE THEM. PREFER MY OLDER CORROLA TO THE NEW ONE. DON'T LIKE THE CAMRY'S LOOKS,LIKE MY OLD PICKUP BETTER THAN THE NEW ONE AND AVALON DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A GOOD CHOICE.

TOO BAD THERE IS NO DISCOUNT FOR EXISTING OWNERS. I 'D HAVE IT MADE IF THERE WAS ANYTHING I WANTED!
  • thepope1thepope1 Member Posts: 23
    (berzerker) - I once owned a BMW...and once was enough. If you like noise and high maintenance costs, that's the one to buy. (gray 2000) - I too think the chip resistant paint' on the front of the hood and bumper is a joke. As to drift', that's something I haven't experienced with my 2000 XLS. (7,500 miles)with Michelin tires.

On two other subjects frequently mentioned in this forum:

I am about 6' tall. Dash reflection bothered me only once. I turned down the brightness of the dash lights - good-bye nasty reflection.

rays of my back look like a broken jigsaw puzzle, the result of a semi slamming into my rear end several years ago. I find the seats of the Avalon XLS to be very comfortable. Yes, it took some fiddling with the seat adjustments, but when I found an acceptable position, I locked it in on the seat memory. The seat is firm, but that is the way it should be, for long trips ...and bad backs.

(cliffy) Glad to see others recognize the good things you do for this forum.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Amen. Your comments are on target and probably represent the majority viewpoint. I am not an engineer but I believe the seats were designed for mature adults, meaning they are slightly larger than your typical mid size sedan.

From personal experience it appears that car owners complain about everything. My wife about her Volvo S70 and my son-in-law about his Mercedes S500. So you see you cannot please all of the people all of the time.
  • rbacsafrarbacsafra Member Posts: 85
    I too want to thank you. You are a wealth of knowledge. I haven't visited the forum since January but it's nice to see that you are still around!!! Keep up the good work! My 95 Avalon w/87K miles is still sludgeless!

Unfortunately power steering has developed a small leak. I have had to fill up the P/S reservoir once last month with Dexron. My friend has a 95 LE V6 Camry and had a leak too. His fix was a whole rack replacement. I've talked to my service advisor at Toyota and he told me my rack needs to be replaced. As you already know, it's not a very cheap replacement. What are your thoughts? Any advice?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    TeamSC3-Southern California Camry Club - Founder
    www.teamsc3.com
    Repair is not my strong suit. I know only enough to be dangerous. I wish I could help.
  • scottb7scottb7 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2001 L. I picked it up in the day time like most everyone I suspect. Well,
    when I drove it at night the first time and flipped the rear view mirror to night vision I got
    a "fun house effect". As I move my head a bit the headlights of the cars behind me wiggle,
    get closer together, mover further apart, etc. Have any of you owners noticed such an effect?
    I'd much prefer it if the rear view mirror didn't do this at night as it makes it carder to judge how
    close/far cars are behind me. After the nighttime fun house effect, I checked the daytime
    setting and it too has some wiggling but given that I can see the whole road and all the cars
    in the daytime, I can better judge where the traffic is behind me. Having only the headlights
    at night (and no other visual markers) to judge where traffic is behind me makes the "fun house
    mirror effect" a bit disconcerting. Other than that, the car is a gem! (Well, except for the
    stereo, which sounds so much better than the one in the house I guess I'll have to spend
    some bucks for a new one!)
  • swivelswivel Member Posts: 4
    Anyone can tell me what kind of gas mileage you're getting with 16" tires on a '97-'01 Avalon. Also, do you think the handling is improved. How about the traction?

I'm got an opportunity to switch up to 16".
  • tjlewtjlew Member Posts: 10
    Can't vouch for the handling as my 2000 XLS came with 16 inch Michelins. Gas milage has been around 30-32 mi/gal on the highway and about 24-25 in the city or combined city/hiway. I would say go for it.
  • jeff462jeff462 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Toyota Avalon developed a prblem at 46000km. On occassion there is a dramatic puff of blue smoke comming from the exhaust at start up. This seems to occur when the engine is cold. I feel it may be valve seals as the problem only happens about one start in seven or 8. The oil usage is about 2 liters in 600 km. (two quarts in 500 miles). Has anyone else experienced a similar problem.
  • rzepa2rzepa2 Member Posts: 24
    Seems as you have a serious problem. Regardless
    of the smoke, any car which is using two quarts every 500 miles needs serious attention from a good mechanic. Last year I got rid off Chevy track which needed a quart of oil everytime I filled it up with gas. This can be due to many issuee. Since this is 2000, why don't you take it back to the dealer to look at it ?
  • hoang4hoang4 Member Posts: 10
    I'm a younger owner (23yo) of a 2001 Avalon XL with the JBL speakers and upgraded stereo. After playing some loud music I noticed a distortion coming from the rear subwoofer and possibly the front side speakers. Are these covered under warranty? Any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Thanks
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    We have the exact same problem with our '95 4cyl Camry about a year ago. In our case, the piston rings were worn out. It costs us just over $1000. In your case it shuld be free and covered by the warranty.

This is what our mechanic did: turn on the engine, open the oil-refill cap and place it on top of the refill opening without screwing the cap in. If the cap jumps around a lot because of significant gas flow from the refill opening, then it might be the cylinder ring. Anyway, that's what the mechanic taught us. Good luck with your car.
  • ruztyrooruztyroo Member Posts: 1
    Cliffy et al:

I just purchased a 1997 Avalon XLS from a dealer who was listed on cars.com. I'm by no means of a mechanical bent, but the car SEEMS fine (has a few exterior scratches; had to refill power steering, which was REALLY low). I have two questions:

1) The seller didn't have the keyless remote transmitters--just one key (and a copy at that). By looking up the VIN, I do know that the car has the security/keyless remote system, it is just missing the remote controls themselves. I've been asking around, and it turns out that a dealer charges about $150 per remote + $25 to program them. My question is if I purchase a used remote off of ebay, will a dealer be able to program it to my car (even if it came from a different model year)?

2) I'm an extremely tall fellow. Have you ever heard of a Toyota dealership moving the rails back on the driver's seat to extend the available leg room, or is that only done by custom shops?

Thanks
  • ag87ag87 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Atlanta area. I would like to buy a car in the next month. My first choice is an Avalons, but I will consider other cars, especially if they cost less. I would appreciate any assistance any of you can provide in the purchasing process.
    You'll need the remotes for a '95-'99 Avalon. Your dealer can program them very easily. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
  • psibayanpsibayan Member Posts: 6
    We own a 2001 Avalons XLS with 16 inch tires. The tires are, relative other cars in same class, much more narrow. Has anyone with a 2000 or 2001 put on a wider low profile tires or even larger wheels and wider tires? If so, what size and how was the ride and handling affected?

I see a few 2000 and 2001 Avalons with spoilers. The dealership says they do not offer spoilers as after market add on equipment, so where does one get this great look?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Pardon the interruption - I want to explain the name change of this discussion.

Since we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. Since this discussion can continue as long as anyone has anything to say about Avalons, there is no longer a need for the "Three" that has been included in the discussion name. Down the road, that could confuse our newer members so I have removed it.

I've altered the name slightly of the original Avalon discussion in the Archives to differentiate it from this active one.

Please continue...

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • gotshagotsha Member Posts: 8
    I have to agree with Harry in his msg #756. I have a 2001 XLS and I think the car is over rated, over priced and lacks a lot of little things I've taken for granted on the last 5 American cars I've owned. The MPG computer is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. It recycles back to zero every time you shut the car off so you never know your true MPG on a tank of gas. The can't see the window and door switches in the dark because they aren't lighted. The front passenger can't open the door by pulling on the door handle and the cruise control looses its memory when you stop for a tollbooth or go below 25 mph. Only two good things I can say about the car is that it is quiet and the drivers window has an express up as well as down feature. Other than that, it can't compare to my Concorde LXI for passenger room, trunk space or gas mileage.
  • 66falcon66falcon Member Posts: 17
    Somebody on another board directed me over here to Cliffy to ask what he thought about what I'm being offered on trade-in for my 98 Avalon XLS, 47,000 miles, every option known to Toyota except 6cd changer, immaculate condition. I'm trying to trade for a Maxima, and they're going with a few hundred over invoice but substantially less than Kbb or Edmunds on the trade in for my Avalon. Both of these sources list trade-in as 17,200, 17,900, and I was hoping for somewhere in between. My Avalon really is exceptionally clean so I was pretty shocked when nobody wants to go much beyond 15,500 or 16,000. This car had an MSRP of 32,500 just 3 years ago, and yea, I know all about the horrors of depreciation, but I guess I wasn't quite ready for this. Am I being unreasonable or are the Nissan dealers or some combination therof? Would like to hear from Cliffy but any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
    While I am not a used car manager, I can make some general comments about trade values. Every Internet source is a guide, not a rule book. Used car managers don't look at these sources. They look at auction reports and the "Black Book" which is a wholesale guide that is only available on a subscription basis. Every used car dealer has them.

Having said that, I can also say that KBB is pretty accurate. Unless you have a domestic mini van or a very high mileage import, KBB is rarely off by more than a couple hundred dollars. There are some cars that they miss, but on the whole and specifically on Hondas and Toyotas, they are usually right on the money.

I would suggest shopping your trade around with other Nissan dealers. It may be that Nissan dealers don't have the clintelle to resell your car and that could be affecting its value as well. If you're set on the Maxima and don't want to sell on your own, see what other Nissan dealers will give you.
  • hoang4hoang4 Member Posts: 10
    Im sorry you feel that way about the Avalon, being a younger (23yo) owner of a 2001 XL with all the options of an XLS (minus VSC) I feel that the avalon is one of the best values out there. As far as the lit controls for power windows, if you have to take your eyes off the road to find the window switch, I suggest you get roll-up windows. For the passenger door not being able to open on without pressing the unlock button (god forbid you have to unlock the door before opening it, those heathens) it's probably a safety feature for kids who have to sit up front. I traded in my 2000 Chrysler Sebring JXI convertible for the avalon and I think that was the best move ever. Not only did Chrysler have more problems (minor but still annoying) in the first three months of ownership, but the quality of the car sucked. I'll take Japanese over Domestic any day for reliability, value, and quality. You'll need the minor increase in gas mileage of your Concorde for the frequent trips you'll be taking it in to the dealer when it starts breaking down in about, oh let's say, 5 minutes from now......