Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    My latest information is that the nav system will only be available on the land Cruiser and later in the year on the Prius.
  • djamiesondjamieson Posts: 8
    XL in Black w/ stone leather and wheel package with remote, and moon-roof. It came with DUNLOP Tires (thank goodness) and both the cargo net,trunk mat floor mats. Under $26,500. which is a very fair price. Thank you, Northampton Toyota in Northampton, Massachusetts. They also own Tri-State in Dudley, MA

My initial impression after the first fifty miles is that the car is quiet and that the basic sound system does not need anything as the sound quality is excellent. Also, with the stone interior I have rethought the after-market wood trim as I think that it would actually detract from the interior appearance. I am putting on the locking wheel nuts and re-intalling my Viper Alarm system. Then the handfree and radar detector go in and the package is ready. I like it a lot!

I'll track mileage at 87 Oct. and report in.

Finally, the car seems to be traveling faster than the speedometer indicates. I'll ask one of the locals to clock me in town at 50 just to check it.
    My windshield did not have a green image in it and I am a six footer. I can see the speed but not the turn signals easily. The dash configuration needs some work, and I wish that an onboard compass were on all models.

Thanks for everyones comments, you all helped a lot.

Dave
  • I have owned both American and Japanese cars. My father is a firm believer in Toyotas and will own nothing else....and for good reason none of his cars have ever been back to the shop from the first Corolla he bought new in 1974.

When you look at my new Avalon you have a car built in the US with American labor and it is a great car. You then wonder why my '98 Suburban suffers quality issues like it does?

The answer is simple, it is engineering and profit driven. An American automaker can screw together a car as well as anyone else, it is what he is screwing together that matters.

Take for instance a conversation I had this year at the autoshow with a GM worker from the transmission plant. He told me the 4L60E in my Suburban was engineered to only last to 100,000 miles. It was designed and engineered to break. Compare that to a Toyota Tacoma for instance and many have well into the 200,000 mile plus range on the original tranny. A fluke? I think not.

As long as American executives force engineers to design "more profitable" cars, our beloved Buicks and Fords will continue to be made of cheap plastics and poor mechanicals that have planned obsolesence.

Unions may have something to do with it to, but before you blame the worker on the line it is important to look at who designed the part he is installing.

Just my two cents.
    To comment further on your post, let me tell you what I was told by a Toyota engineer when I asked him about why Toyota does not put limited slip differentials in their trucks. I was told that Toyota had looked into this for years but could not find one that would last beyond 120K miles and this was unacceptable. The lack of an LSD in our trucks makes them difficult to sell but Toyota will not compromise long term quality to sell more vehicles today.

As to the Union issue, I have some very strong opinions here but I really don't think this is an appropriate forum for them.
  • phandmkphandmk Posts: 3
    When trying to get to the bottom line price what add-ons have you encountered? So far I have seen TDA of $376, Gas of $6, and some times a docking or delivery fee. Just wondering how your final price was affected by these charges. $500 over invoice plus TDA and gas, etc.??? Thanks for your help. Also, how annoying is the glare on windshield for those of you who have noticed?
  • boordboord Posts: 27
    I had $45 doc prep fee and a $425 Cal license fee. No gas fee. What is the $378 TDA fee?
    For those of you who don't know, this stands for Toyota Dealer Association fee. This is basicly an advertising fee. Every region in the country has some form of TDA but it varies by region. My understanding is that Southern CA is the cheapest and Northern CA and New York are the highest.

This is a real fee and we are not compensated for it. We used to get half the money back as a secret holdback. This practice was stopped in '95 after a class action suit. The suit also had Toyota issue those $150 coupons you have seen advertised on Edmunds.

This is also why the coupons are specific to a region. There was a certain number of those certificates issued for each TDA and when they are gone in that region (as they are in MD and VA now), you can't get any more.

For any who are curious about the fee in VA, the TDA on an XL Avalon is $459.
  • Cliffy:

If you can answer this, I will be very thankful.

Do you know if the 2001 Avalon will have a black or almost-black leather interior option?

If not, WHY? Is there some reason there is not a dark interior option? This is the only thing keeping me from buying one.

Thank you so much for your help.

gentlegiant
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    When I originally received my Avalon brochure, I, too, noticed that you could not get a dark interior, gray or black. I would get a light interior (leather) dirty in a flash.

I also wonder if they will ever offer some kind of a "Sport" package on the Avalon, for those who want the same comfort, but firmer handling without feeling like a rock.

As long as we are at it, why don't they raise the HP to 225-250, and let the car really fly?
  • mikochanmikochan Posts: 2
    I'd definitely like to see something like this.

On the performance side, according to the ToyotaParts4U website, TRD/Kazuma will be producing a version of the Camry/Solara supercharger, a bolt on, smog-legal, warranty preserving (I believe) addition that boosts HP to around 270. When this becomes available, I'm going to really consider this. For suspension, slightly stiffer springs and a little more damping in the shocks would be nice, but I don't know if anything is available for this, esp. if they are Toyota parts.

Even if available as aftermarket Toyota (TRD), it would be nice to have this as a factory package (supercharged Avalon w/tighter suspension) to avoid futzing around w/modifying a stock car. However, such a machine may not be to Toyota's advantage from a CAFE or marketing niche standpoint.

Would be nice, though & I would buy one.

On the engineering question of foreign vs. domestic, I saw an analysis once that was interesting. It contended that in Japan, the best engineering graduates, from places like Tokyo University, Waseda (Japan's Ivy league equivalents) sought jobs with Toyota, Honda, etc., since these were the companies/technologies of the greatest prestige in Japan.

However, in the good old US of A, it has been a long time since hotshot MIT/Stanford, etc., grads have been angling for positions at GM/Ford. For the past thirty years, our top technical talent has gravitated towards defense/space/basic research/computers/biotech. As a result, the U.S. is a leader in these types of technologies (we make super missiles/bombs/submarines, for example), while Japanese/German economies have had their most talented techies working on automotive and other consumer related technologies.

I don't necessarily agree w/this whole-heartedly, but it is an interesting proposition. What I believe is that the continuing lag in U.S. automotive quality is a combination of a number of cultural and economic factors. UAW work rules/grievance procedures probably contribute as a negative factor, but the problem appears to have more dimensions than that.
  • castle2castle2 Posts: 1
    Have put on 4,300 miles on my Y2K XLS. Still happy with purchase however over last couple of months have developed a minor complaint/wish list.
    First Kudos
    Great Gas mileage city/hwy. & Mountain climbing 27.5 MPG on regular gas (85 octane High altitude)
    Everyone gets lost in back seat.
    Good power for traffic merging and driving over the Rockies
    Quite and quality finish.
    Driver comfort for a 6 footer 240lb.

Major complaint
    Crappie JBL sound system. Any CD over half volume with heavy bass passages comes out distorted. Frequency ranges poor. Dealer checked it out and claims everything OK. My 98 Eddie Bauer Explorer with Ford's premium sound system 10 times better.

Wish list
    For a premium top of the line car for Toyota several things strike me as missing.
    Before mentioned sound system
    Window and door locks not lighted.
    No radio, temp control etc. on steering wheel. (Never realized how convenient to have till I don't have it)
    Electronic display shows everything except [non-permissible content removed] Ave. MPG. Zero's out after every trip.
    3 colors of green on dash board.
    Piss Poor sound system. Again

Other then these love the car and would buy again.
    The 2001 will have the exact same interiors as the 2000s. Sorry about that. We used to have a black interior but sold very few of them. They were just too hot and dismal looking.

As for the stereo distortion, I have a suggestion. I have had a few complaints about this and all were traced to the settings. In my opinion, the stereo sounds best with the bass at no more than +2, mid at 0 or +1 and treble at +4 or 5. Set this way, you should not get the bass distortion but still have enough to thump your stomach at high volume.

When listening to talk radio, move the bass to -2 to prevent deep voices from being too low.
    Very insightful thinking, food for thought.
  • HAD TO BEING MY AVALON XLS IN FOR OTHER MINOR PROBLEMS AND JUST BEFORE I DID SO, I TOOK THE ALARM TEST (ROLL DOWN WINDOW, SET ALARM AND MANUALLY UNLOCK CAR), NO HORN HONKING,ETC. BOUGHT THIS TO THE ATTENTION OF THE SHOP MANAGER, HE TOLD US WE ONLY HAD THE ENGINE KILLING COMPONENT, WHEN HE TESTED IT THAT DID NOT WORK, COME TO FIND OUT (AFTER THREE DIFFERENT TOP PERSONNEL EMPLOYEES LOOKED AT THE PROBLEM, THE ALARM WAS NOT SET.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO NOTE WAS THAT THE DOOR HAS TO BE OPENED AFTER THE ALARM IS SET FOR 30 SECONDS OR MORE.
  • playbak1playbak1 Posts: 3
    I think you have a problem with your A/C. If your fan is running on high after 30 minutes in Ontario, you either have the temp set at 60 F or something is broken.

It has been over 100 F here in TX for the last month and my fans have never run on high over 5 minutes. Even after sitting in the direct sun all day in an open parking lot. I can't imagine Ontario being that hot. Have the dealer take a look at it. Sounds like a quirky thermostat.

As too the air flow to the back seat, those vents can be shut off so they do not blow on the rear passengers.

Hope this helps.
  • bigrichzbigrichz Posts: 4
    Too bad Toyota is only putting Nav in those 2 vehicles. Everyone who sees the Nav in my Lexus loves it. Toyota might double their Avalon/Camry and Corolla sales if Nav was available. Do you have any idea what their reasoning is or does it require a V8 or special large battery? The dealer who makes Nav available in a cheaper car first, will turn a nice profit.
  • smoore5smoore5 Posts: 8
    Thanks Playbak 1. I am going to take it into the dealer and have them check it out.
  • aimanaiman Posts: 61
    I think it's only about time until someone (be it toyota or some other brand) puts Nav on econo cars. Sooner or later Toyota must make it available.
  • drgg4drgg4 Posts: 9
    I appreciate your candid and honest replies re Toyota and was wondering if you could answer the following inquiries?

1. What date will the 2001 Toyotas be available?

2. What changes will take place on the 2001 model?

3. What is your opinion of the 2000 Avalon?

Hope these questions are not repetitious or redundant. I don't recall seeing these posted before.

Thanks for your help!

DRGG4
  • stocksmanstocksman Posts: 2
    I was wondering now that we are getting closer to the 2001 Avalon Release, if Cliffy or any of our other friends know what colors (interior & exterior) will be available for 2001 & if there will be any other changes. Am I reading correctly that there will not be a NAV System offered for 2001 ?

Any information is appreciated.

Thank You !
    The 2001 Avalon will be available in the following colors: diamond white, lunar mist, black, vintage red, desert sand, silver spruce and woodland pearl. Interior colors remain the same. The first retail date is Sept. 1, 2000.

I know of no schedules changes for the car and if Toyota follows their normal pattern we wont see any changes at all until the 2003 model year. There may be option changes before then, but overall, it will be the same.

Drgg4, I really love the car. I like just about everything on it but it wont tow my boat so it is out of the question for me to own one. If I weren't an outdoor nut, I would probably buy one, especially if I had kids.
    You may not want to tell us, but just how did you tear the roof line fastening a seat belt around your waist?
  • jwj2jwj2 Posts: 3
    we bought a new 2000 avalon xls last Sept. it has always been very quiet until recently. Now the seats snap, crackle, and pop when we turn corners.If you have experienced this problem pls reply.
    This may sound frivolous, and I don't mean to do so, but do you have children who were playing in your car while munching on their favorite cereal? It really is the first variable to eliminate, if you have kids.
  • IT DOES NOT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME,SOMETIMES WHEN I DRIVE THE SEAT BEGINS TO MAKE A SQUEAKING NOISE AND IT I MOVE BACKWARD AND FORWARD OR UP AND DOWN IT GETS LOUDER.
    WHILE OUT CAR WAS IN THE SHOP WE WERE GIVEN A CAMRY TO USE AND IT DID THE SAME THING.
    maybe you need the check the eating habits of the person who assembled your seat at the factory??????????? :)
  • sranger94sranger94 Posts: 18
    I picked this up from an Acura Dealer website, www.4acura.com. I currently own a 98 Avalon XLS, but am probably going to trade it in for an Acura RL as the Avalon spends way too much time at the dealer for repair after repair after repair. Anyway, hope this helps.

On vehicles with leather seating surfaces, the leather-to-leather contact can cause what sounds like a rattle when you drive over rough roads. The noise usually happens when there's contact between the seat-back and the cushion.
    To confirm the cause, change the position of the seat-back: the noise will be worse when it's fully forward, and get more quiet when it's reclined. To eliminate the noise, apply a light film of liquid dishwashing soap (such as Ivory) to the contact surfaces with a clean finger or shop towel and wipe off the excess. Don't use a lot, and keep it away from the seating surface.
  • borelliborelli Posts: 2
    Has anyone out there purchased an aftermarket sunroof of their 2K AV? I have a 2K XL Woodland Pearl power seat option. I live in Connecticut.
    Price would be helpfull al well as any problems.
  • I've been thinking about purchase of a 2000 Avalon, but noticed in one report that it requires Premium Gas. Can any current owners supply me with the recommended octane rating (and recommendations of what grade of fuel they are currently using)?
  • jcarr7jcarr7 Posts: 2
    Duszynski-

Just filled up my 2k yesterday with 90 octane ethanol gas. Have used this since I bought the car. Used it on a 98 for two years. Have used ethanol for the last 15 years with no bad results.

Only 1.5k miles so I cannot give you a very accurate mpg figure. On other car I could not tell any difference between regular and premium. If there was any difference in performance I didn't notice it

Maybe someone else is more discriminating than I.