Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• larrys7larrys7 Posts: 35
    My wife was driving a 97 Suburban. Found a deal on a 98 Avalon w/43k an attorney had for sell, purchased it & she wanted another burb. Her new Yukon Denali XL has arrived. Any suggestions on where to advertise this type car on the net. That Avalon gets twice the gas milage & alot easier to get around in - oh well...
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    There is no easy way out of this and no way to sugar coat the situation you are in. There are two ways to terminate a lease early. First, pay the remainder of your lease payments in advance and turn the car in. Second, call the leasing company and find out what your current payoff is. Leases have payoffs just like conventional financing. Take the car to a dealership and see what they will give you in trade. Most likely, the value will be much less than the payoff and you will have to roll this amount into the price of the new car.

Here is a hint. Never lease a car for 5 years. I lease a ton of cars, but almost never for terms beyond 36 months. Yes, the payments are less, but most people want out of it before the end of the term and they are all in a very bad position.
  • mostlyjazzmostlyjazz Posts: 11
    My wife and I are considering the purchase of a new 2001 Avalon.

We currently own a 1998 Volvo V70 Cross Country and find the all wheel drive to be essential here in Minnesota.

For the most part we love the Volvo. Love the comfort and safety but we are tiring of the annoying problems and frequent recalls and repairs. Also,the factory warranty is almost up.

Avalon appears to have a comfortable and roomy interior (I am 6"4") and a good saftey rating. However, I think I have been spoiled by the Volvo's all wheel drive that comes in handy during winter here in Minnesota. I would appreciate any comments from Avalon owners concerning how well the Avalon does in winter driving.

We also considered the VW Passat 4Motion wagon. They appear to be in short supply, selling for a premium over MSRP and could be another reliability risk .
  • jljlindajljlinda Posts: 7
    Have a 2001 Avalon XLS. Approx 14,000 miles on it. Just returned from a 2 day trip and covered 800+ miles. Several times during our trip, we drove through "dips" on the interstate, and heard the front tire(s) (usually on the drivers side) hit the strut(s). We drove within posted highway speeds (WV & OH). Only my wife and I were on board with one small overnight bag. My weight is about 170 #'s and my wife's about 135 #'s. Now my question: Are struts adjustable or must they be replaced to correct the problem? Is anyone else having any problems with their front suspension on the 2001 XLS? (Except for the suspension, we rather pleased with our choice of the Avalon. Traded a Camry on the Avalon and the Camry seemed to have a much better suspension, both front and rear, than the Avalon.) Thanks in advance for any help solving our problem.
  • toledo19toledo19 Posts: 119
    As I have posted earlier, there is a recall on 01 Avalons built in 1/01. Something related to the front end frame soldering. This could be the cause of your problem. Check at NHTSA.
  • sammieleesammielee Posts: 11
    Thanks for the heads up Toledo19! Called Toyota and made sure my 01 LS was not part of the recall. Operator at Toyota was very friendly and helpful. Suggest to jljlinda that they call the Toyota 800 number to see if their car is on the list. Just go the the NHTSA web site, input your car and it will give all the info on the recall and who to contact at Toyota. It sounds,though, like Toyota is pretty much on top of things and jljlinda would have received something in the mail
  • jljlindajljlinda Posts: 7
    We purchased out 2001 Avalon XLS in Nov 2000. Since the recall by Toyota on the 2001 Avalon is only on those built in Jan 2001, I assume that our auto is not on the recall list. (Also, we have not received any type notice.) By looking over the tops of the front tires, I can see the marks left by the tires where they come in contact with a component of the vehicle. I believe the component is part of the strut, but, if not, it is the lower circular plate that supports the coil spring. Either way, I am concerned that it might cause a tire to blow at interstate speeds if I drive through a dip deep enough to cause extreme contact. My dealer is 75 miles from where we live and I have not given them a call yet (but plan to soon.) Just thought someone might know if struts are adjustable so that "up & down" travel could be shortened. Thanks to all.
  • donstackdonstack Posts: 9
    Anyone checkout the Japanese Toyota based websites? All vehicles there are sold under the TOYOTA nameplate (whether it is Toyota or Lexus here in North America)

The Avalon is called the Toyota Pronard and is priced at 3,800,000 yen, compare this to the ES300 which is called the Toyota Windom which is priced at 3,700,000 yen. The Pronard(Avalon) is more expensive than the Windom(ES300). Source for this info is at http://www.webcars.net/newcars-[non-permissible content removed].htm.

Some pictures at different sites show a nice navigation system mounted in the center of dash. Not even offered in US, but if it was sales would definitely be increased! See this at http://www.infolanka.com/org/ramadbk/BN2A.html Wouldn't that be nice, especially with the upgraded gages in the photo! Its different seeing the steering wheel on right side of car too.

It seems to be obvious that Toyota would never risk making a Toyota with options to make it more desirable that a Lexus in North America!

Too bad for us Avalon owners that Toyota didn't take that risk.

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,175
    Thanks donstack for bringing the Pronard (from the French, "to praise or admire") to our attention. Curiously, the car is made in Georgetown, Kentucky and shipped to Japan and Korea with many of the features we Avalon owners crave. Try this link for a good review of the Pronard.

http://www.sae.org/auto mag/global view_08-00/01.htm

Does anyone know if it be possible to order an Avalon with at least the DVD-based navigation system? Or could you buy the parts (HID lights, Navigation, etc.) and have them professionally installed? Toyota has gone the multiple brand route used successfully by Proctor and Gamble, and lately, less successfully by GM. Some experts believe that multiple-brand marketing in the auto industry has become passe. Any comments/suggestions Cliffy?
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    A special edition 2002, for Jan-Mar, is being considered. The only information I have is that there will be 3 new unique colors.
  • pilot13pilot13 Posts: 283
    It's a derivative of the verb "Proner"--to advocate or promote. (I don't have a French keyboard and left out the circonflex over the "o") "Pronard", translated, means "One who advocates". Malheureusement, votre vocabulaire est un peu faible, mon vieux.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I noticed you can buy a 2001 Lexus ES300 with value package is less than an Avalon XLS with similar options.
    The Avalon XLS only makes sense for people who need the extra rear seat room.
    Another thanks to bwia. Did not realize PRONARD was built here. A shame they don't load em up for the good old US. I was at local dealer for oil change and asked about PRONARD, no one there even had a clue.

I also asked service manager if they could make the horn chirp when the remote locks the doors, I was told "NO". They didn't seem to do any research to come up with that answer either. It wasn't too convincing.

Anyone know of a way to have horn chirp when locking? I can't always hear the 'beep'. Also anyone know of way to make lights stay on at night AFTER you lock doors with remote? The lights stay on if you press door lock switch in the car and then slam the door.

To S852 - I am 6'4" , my son isn't too far behind me, I really do need the room in back seat.

Would have gotten the Pronard if I only knew.
  • dmac8dmac8 Posts: 54
    anyone willing to share recent pricing on an XL, or lease rates?

Also, am interested in why people may have chosen this car over the V6 Accord, or Maxima.

Thanks in advance.
  • frankmaxfrankmax Posts: 18
    I should have bought an Accord or Maxima since Avalon is not really a Japanese car. The only good thing I found on Avalon is the huge rear seat. But for daily commute, you don't really care.
  • marshal1marshal1 Posts: 68
    I bought a 2001 XL in May at right around invoice for $26,400. That included leather and power seats, the upgraded JBL stereo, alloy wheels, wheel locks and the cargo matt set. I love the car. It has plenty of power, handles well and has more interior room than any other car in this price range. The Avalon is a quality product with excellent reliability and resale value. I have not been able to find anything wrong with this car.

I traded in a 97 Maxima for the Avalon and can tell you that the Avalon is a far superior product to the Maxima. The Maxima was a great car that I owned for four years. However, the Avalon is definitely a class up from the Maxima. The Maxima is faster and handles better, but the Avalon is more comfortable and will retain its value much better than the Maxima. It all depends on what you're looking for. I've never owned a Honda Accord, but would venture to say that the Avalon is a class up from the Accord as well. Good luck with your purchase.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Posts: 72
    I have finally been able to ascertain why my Avalon locks its doors when I park in Basement garage. The trick is to manually press the unlock button when exiting. The car doesn't lock itself then.
    This is exactly what I said in post 918!
  • chipf3chipf3 Posts: 2
    My wife's 2001 Avalon had a starting problem--would crank but not start, when the outside temp was over 80 degrees F. Took the Washington DC-area dealer about 4 weeks to diagnose it to the body computer and about another 2 weeks to get the part from Toyota and make the repair. Legendary Toyota quality? How about fairytale Toyota quality!?! Toyota supposedly first told the dealer they suspected a bad batch of fuel pressure regulators, and there was something muttered about a possible recall to replace those. Naturally, the car came out of the shop with body damage. It also seems to have a shifting problem going up a gently sloping hill at about 35 mph. Stay tuned.
    Is chipf3 protected by any lemon laws in home state? 6 weeks may be the bellringer here. Information may be online with your state attorney generals office.
    As I mentioned in Post 947, Avalon is not really a Japanese car. You have to treat it as a domestic car. My new avalon also has defects(some chips on the body and rattles inside). Very interesting thing is, Avalon was ranked the top one in premium mid size car category in ID Power's initial quality in 2001 (http://www.jdpa.com/studies/winners. asp?Study ID=517&Cat ID=1). I guess nobody on this board got in the survey.
  • marshal1marshal1 Posts: 68
    First of all, chips in a cars paint can hardly be considered a defect. Every car from a Rolls Royce to a Yugo will get chips in the paint. That's what happens when you drive the car. You must have some other problems besides rattles to not like the Avalon. I'm sure if you take it back to your Toyota dealer they will be glad to solve your rattle problem. Most cars will rattle when driven over bumps. Since you believe paint chips are a defect I just wanted to point out that the rattles may also be normal depending on the circumstances. Finally, the fact that the Avalon is made in the U.S. and that it did win the J.D. Power award for initial quality speaks to how great of a car this really is. I was not in the original survey, but had I been I would have only had outstanding things to say about my 2001 Avalon. All cars will have a percentage of lemons and problems. The Avalon is no exception. However, I can attest that my Avalon is trouble free and a great car all around.
  • 02mdx02mdx Posts: 64
    Did you have a problem adjusting to the size of the Avalon, having come from a '01 Pathfinder? I was considering a Pathfinder/MDX at one point for it's size and available room. My wife and I are below the "average Avalon age" and have a two year old to contend with. Does the Avalon have enough space for the majority of your needs? Any input from the mothers out there would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Actually, I have much more room in the avalon! Much better ride and greater comfort.
  • sky33sky33 Posts: 26
    Hello all, I'm new to this message board but have been reading the messages for some time. A few earlier em-ails have discussed the styling of the avalon. There are a number of features I like about the avalon however, the styling could use some refreshing. Toyota designers if your reading this post here are a few things I think they should change when they update the avalon in 2003:
    1. Please freshen up the rear-end. It looks like a bread truck. Maybe take some cues from the rear-end of the Mercedes I class sedan.
    2. Get the back up lights off of the trunk deck lid and put them into the tail lights.
    3. The toothy grill has to go. Re shape the head lights and tone down the grill. (nexus GS300).
    4. Parking brake pad should be changed to a lever in the center console.
    5. I heard that the avalon does not have luminated window buttons like the Camry, need to add this feature.

That's all I can come up with now. Considering the price of the avalon in comparison with the ES300, the avalon appears to be a good value with more interior room. It looks like the Mark II on the scoop website.
  • sky33sky33 Posts: 26
    Excuse the missspelled words in my earlier
    e-mail. Better use the spell checker next time.
    Anyway I was refering to the Mercedes S Class sedan and the Lexus GS 300.
    I didn't say I don't like Avalon. I love Avalon so much that I got disappointed when I saw something which made my avalon not a perfect car. As you said, all cars will have a percentage of lemons and problems. Unfortunately some owners including myself, are among that small percentage Therefore, we are here to look for solution and suggestions, or even make complaints. One good thing about this board is to let the potient buyer learn the potential problems and what they should pay attention to when they select their Avalon. I should have found this board before I bought the car.
  • boba4boba4 Posts: 2
    I got a 2001 XLS two weeks ago and love it. I do have one question and it concerns the outside temperature that is displayed on the video screen. Mine consistently reads 5 degrees higher than the actual outside temperature. I asked my service mechanic about this and he indicated there was nothing to be fixed. I realize that with all the things that can be wrong with a car I should count my blessings. But, I can't help wondering if there isn't a simple way to re-calibrate this indicator.
  • rzepa2rzepa2 Posts: 24
    My 2001 XL is within 1 degree or right on the
    spot. If you can prove it, I am suprised that
    dealer refuses to fix it. I would doubt that this
    would be calibration issue. It is probaby faulty
    temp sensor. Needs to be replaced.
    My temperature display is very accurate, within a degree of temp announcement on radio. My wifes Ford suv is a couple degrees off during good weather and up to 5 degrees off in winter conditions.