Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• aloalo Posts: 35
    My Accord and MDX manuals say that brake fluid should be changed at 45K miles. My 96 Avalon does not say anything and I've not had it changed and now has 66K miles.

I understand that brake fluid can absorb moisture and lose a bit of effective, but I think the problem here is that brake fluid is supposed to be a little corrosive. I think I'll have the brake fluid changed at 90K miles if I keep the car that long.
  • bigbluekybigblueky Posts: 11
    Well folks, she did it my Avalon hit 100K and I did what I said, I toasted her with a cold one, but I also did something else. I baught her some new wheels and tires. I upgraded to 16x7 wheels with 2155516 Fulda performance all season tires. Man you talk about nice. She still rides good, but handling is where the tires really do shine, I mean it's like driving a different car. I only wish I would have done it sooner. I'll post a picture of her soon.
  • bigbluekybigblueky Posts: 11
    I thaught of this after I posted, but oh well. I am looking for drilled brake rotors for my 97 Avalon as well wondering is their any cold air induction systems available for my car as well as some other performance products. I also can't find anyone who makes euro taillight lenses for my car either. I don't want to make a race car or anything out of it, but I would like to gain a little more performance out of her, any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    Thanks for the pictures. It looks to me like a cross between the G35 in the front, Altima side and can't tell for sure about the back. But it seems to have Altima there too.
  • otis123otis123 Posts: 426
    Any 2003 Avalon pics out there?
  • otis123otis123 Posts: 426
    I guess Avalons are not the spy picture type of car anyway!
  • tappervmtappervm Posts: 4
    I am a college student looking to purchase my first car. While test driving, I can across a used Avalon and just fell in love with it. The hitch is that it has 100,000 miles already on it. Do you think it will last for another 5 years or so or do you think it would be wiser for me to just buy a brand new Hyundai? I am very desperate so please give me your honest advice.
  • j_walkerj_walker Posts: 99
    No one can possibly tell you with any certainty that the car will last another five years. Even if it does, it will likely require some $ for repairs to normal wear-n-tear items to keep it running for another five years. If the price of the Hyundai is cheaper or the same, you're probably better off with it mainly for the warranty.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Like J_walker said, it really depends on the price. If the Avalon has been well maintained and the price is right, it is a lot of car for the money.
  • gray345gray345 Posts: 1
    Hello everybody. I have a 2000 XL with 15 inch tires on the aluminum rims that came on the car as a option. The original tires are in need of replacement, and I would like to uprgade to larger tires, but I am not willing to pay for new rims. So, does anybody know if it would be safe or possible to put 16 inch tires on the same rims the 15 inch tires are currently mounted on? Thanks!
    Oh, by the way, I had the windshield glare problem fixed by my dealer under warranty. The fix is excellent and totally eliminated the glare. As a bonus, when the technician took the dash apart to perform the repair she replaced a broken internal clip as well. The result was an end to my annoying dash rattle! So, now I can say that I have no problems with this wonderful car.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    Quote:". So, does anybody know if it would be safe or possible to put 16 inch tires on the same rims the 15 inch tires are currently mounted on? Thanks!"

16 inch tires will not fit 15 inch wheels for the same reason a 40 inch belt will not fit a person with a 30 inch waist. :) The wheels would fall through the tires. You can use wider profile tires though, if the wheel is wide enough for it, and you have enough under fender clearance. Any tire dealer can tell you what alternative tire sizes you can use.
  • wachsmuthwachsmuth Posts: 19
    I am just about to purchase an Avalon XLS. I want Lunar Mist, with a leather Ivory interior, bucket seats. The brochures state that this is available with Package #7, however, the dealer tells me that Lunar Mist is only available with Stone interior. Does anyone know if it can be factory-ordered with Ivory???

Is it possible that the 2003 can be ordered the way I want it? Help!
    I believe your dealer is correct.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • mtrabmtrab Posts: 3
    Hopeing someone may have had a similar experience. Frequently, but not always, the climate control on my Avalon will not work. No fan, no lights on the climate control panel, and the digital readout for the outside temp. is not lit. None of the buttons on the panel work.
    This happened a couple times during the winter (no heat), and is now happening more frequently in the summer (no AC). The next day, the climate control works fine.
    I've checked for loose fuses, loose wiring (passenger side foot panel)and whatever else I can think of to no avail. Took it to the local Avalon dealer, but naturally the system worked fine on that day, and they couldn't find any problems. Talk about aggravation.
    Has any one else experienced similar problems?
    Thanks much in advance.
  • wachsmuthwachsmuth Posts: 19
    Ooops - pressed the wrong button. Anyway---I tried to send you an e-mail but it failed. So here I am. I thought maybe you had some info on the interior colors for the 2003 Avalon XLS. Maybe you saw my posting - I want a Lunar Mist with ivory interior. The brochures say I could get that with Package #7. What do you think? Any help would be appreciated! Gary
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    Will the current information display remain ? Will HID lights be available as an option ?
  • bobrita1bobrita1 Posts: 3
    See my original post #1349. Toyota has a fix for this problem. You need to replace the radio with a unit that does not have "volume fluctuation in CD mode" I just had it replaced on 6/4/02 so I am not sure if it works.
  • bobrita1bobrita1 Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 XLS, 36K miles. Changed the A/C filter. Filter $37.50, labor $28.97 =$66.47 installed
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Lunar mist exterior with ivory interior? I don't that that is an available combination.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    The Lunar mist only comes with the stone interior. We just received the brochures for the 2003 Avalon. Minor changes to the interior and exterior; wood accent on steering wheel for xls, rain sensing windshield wipers, electrochromic driver's outside mirror (standard) New front bumper and fog lights, horizontal slat grille, rear tail lights and garnish. Available 16in wheels on XL (same as on current XLS), Available 5 spoke 16 in wheel for XLS (Looks similar to Lexus LS430 wheel) Navigation system with remote control optional on XLS. Screen is set where information display now sits on 02 models and controls are on center console next to gear shift.

: )

Mackabee

p.s. base prices remain unchanged.
    Thanks for the info on the 2003 Avalong. Is the 2003 brochure available for the masses?
  • tl586tl586 Posts: 6
    Mackabee,

Great info!! Do you know when Toyota will start selling the 2003 models?

Also, could you scan the 2003 brochures so we can all see the new options offered?

• hallagehallage Posts: 24
    Can anyone comment on the comfort of the '02 Avalon driver's seat? There were some compaints about the '02 Camry driver's seat.
  • deluxcardeluxcar Posts: 47
    The Japanese version of the Avalon (right-hand drive) is equipped with a navigation system. Check it out. The text is in Japanese but if you click on the second heading you should see a caption that says Pronard 3.0 or 3.0L

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Pronard/
    Production starts monday June 10th, they will be appearing in dealerships by late June. The brochures are available for the masses at your Toyota dealer now. Pricing will be released to the public on monday also, I'm pretty sure the Toyota.com website will be upgraded to show the new Avalon. The Japanese Pronard shown on the website is our 2002 Avalon sans the nav system. The 2003's dash is Identical to the Pronard, but the Nav controls are on the center console. As I mentioned before, the grille and front bumper are different for 03 as well as the tail lights. I can't scan the brochure as it is copyrighted material. Be patient if you can't get to a dealer to get a brochure, the website will be updated shortly.

Mackabee
    The instrument panel is now black with white numerals from what I can see on the brochure. The XL with leather package will have perforated leather. Option packages are basically the same as before.

Mackabee
    Correction: The "new" 5 spoke wheel that will be available with the XLS was available on the previous generation Lexus ES300.

Mackabee
  • twobrownstwobrowns Posts: 52
    I have been putting prem. gas in my avalon since purchase(5500 miles). I recently tried regular and noticed no difference in mileage or performance or maybe a slight increase in mileage with regular although that makes no sense.I see no reason to continue to use prem. The manual says for better performance whatever that means. Anyone else have any experiences with reg. vs. prem.