Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Regarding Post #1190 by markxd and Post #1183 by toledo19, what year is your Toyota? I have a 2001 Toyota Avalon and have the same problem. At night, I can see a reflection of the 120 from the speedometer and the fuel gauge. I have to turn the dash lights down, but I think I'll take the 3x5 card advice. I too went to a Toyota dealership in Appleton, WI. They could not do a thing. They too told me my VIN number was not eligible for the repair similar to the 2000 models and they could not do anything.

markxd, who did you talk to at Customer Service, so that I can log the same problem with the same person, if it makes a difference talking to the same person. Thanks.
  • We bought a new 2002 Avalon on Nov 30. I had read a lot about the console lights reflecting on the inside of the windshield. I'm 5'11" and use the seat in its lowest position. I had to contort to about 4'11" to even see the phenomenon. My wife is 5'3" and uses a high seat and she can't see it either. Sound like much ado about nothing. I wish the elapsed driving hours and average fuel economy didn't reset when the key is turned off. Am I missing something? Seems like a great car tho. A good word for the '95 Concorde with 132200 miles that I got rid of. It was a fine car.

Fred Anderson
  • Boord, joedbob, n4py,

Fin is probably getting 30mpg because he's measuring them in the larger Imperial gallons used in Canada, not U.S. gallons. Either that or he's driving 50mph on the highway...
  • My parents have a 2000 Avalon XLS, and my mom has put 38,000 miles on it. We've had no problems with the car, and really don't expect to have many considering Toyota's reputation for reliability. As far as gas mileage goes, when we go on trips we usually get around 29-30 MPG. It's a little closer to 29 when we use the A/C. We live in North Carolina, and we're not doing much driving in the mountains (especially on our trips to the beach), so I'm wondering if the relative flatness and constant speed attribute to our mileage. Mom and Dad are usually pretty easy on the gas, so this might help our mileage, too. Also, another factor to consider is tire inflation pressure. I think we run 32 psi in ours. I'm sorry you guys aren't getting better mileage. As far as the car, my parents love it, and my Dad has already said that he's not going to buy anything else but a Toyota. This being after suffering through four Chrysler minivans over a period of 10 years, all with bad transmissions. Those of you with gas mileage averages that are less than what you think you should be getting, is your car an XLS model with the average readings on the dash? We've found that ours is pretty accurate when compared to what you actually get when you divide miles driven by gallons used. Okay, that's all for now. Have a great day!
  • toledo19toledo19 Posts: 119
    You don't see the refection because it is most prominent when you "raise" yourself in the seat, not "contort" down,
  • I still can't find the reflection. Where does it show up? Inches from center and inches above dash?

More on computer readouts. Elapsed time driven and average gas mileage would be much more useful if they were only reset when I want to reset them (the way my Concorde worked). Having them reset every time the key is turned off makes them virtually useless to me.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Don't look for trouble. Once you see it, you'll fixate on it. Be happy you haven't noticed it. If you drive on well lit roads, you may never see it. It is only on very dark roads that it shows up.

Here's a little story about things that drive a person nuts only if it is pointed out to them:

When I bought my Tundra, I noticed a click that would happen every time I hit the brakes. It wasn't loud, but I heard it. It happened at the same point each time I hit the brakes. It bothered me for a while but the shop guys said not to worry about it.

Recently, somebody commented about their Tundra doing the same thing. I told them mine had it too, but it went away. I was quizzed about it and I was sure that I had not heard it in over 6 months. Unfortunately, this got me thinking about it and I listened for it. Sure enough, the click still exists. For 6 months, I had ignored it and it stopped bothering me. Now that I listened for it, and heard it, I am bothered by it again!

The moral: Don't go looking for trouble.
  • dave210dave210 Posts: 237
    My wife has had two Chrysler Town & Country's that had/have the overhead console trip computer which doesn't reset, so i know what you mean. I like being able to see after three months what my average mile to the gallon is, or seeing how long the trip to grandma's took even though we turned off the car for ten minutes to eat.

In my Avalon, it's pointless. Although the trip time works when I'm going from and to work, it's only because I make no stops on the way home. But since since all the functions reset WHENEVER you shut of the car, there really is no point.

I'm hoping Toyota will fix this, because while they thought they may have had a good idea, it's virtually pointless having it reset ALL the time.
  • I finally touched the roof with my head and saw the reflection. Believe me, it will not be a problem.

Thanks for the support on the computer. What could they have been thinking?
  • "But since since all the functions reset WHENEVER you shut of the car, there really is no point."

I agree totally with you. My 2000 Avalon XLS does the same thing. It's very frustrating. They have fixed the problem though on my 2002 Camry XLE V6. Each function remains "on" until you manually reset it. Kinda nice. Don't know what they could have been thinking about on the Avalon.
  • My grandmother has a 1996 Toyota Avalon with only 24,000 miles. She was the only driver and took extremely good care of the car. Problem is that the car has been sitting around for the last 2 years without being driven hardly at all. Should someone be concerned about buying this car since it has not had any road time in two years? If so, what could potentially be wrong with the car having sat around for this long?
  • I have a 00 xls. Came from a 96 Chrysler LHS. Where the external noise was unbearable. But no inside noises ( or you couldn't hear them ). The xls is the the other way around. But they were fixed by dealer. First make sure you buckle the front seat belts, they giggle on the door piller. Have dealer take right foor kick panel under the glove box and make sure the wire bundles don't hit any metal mine were against. They wrapped these in foam tape. Cured noise. Next the center consol squeeks. Try not having any arm pressure on it. Mine was quiet then, so I put foal tape on the bottom of lid. squeek gone. Now I have the quietest car I have ever owned. Any time we have passengers they remark how quiet the car is. Good fuel mileage Pa - Ind 30-31 mpg with a/c and 68-72 mph, around home 22-24 mpg all on reg. gas.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,161
    Thanks lestergehman:
    You said "Have the dealer take the right floor kick panel under the glove box and make sure the wire bundles don't hit any metal mine were against. They wrapped these in foam tape".

I will take your suggestion to my dealership because that's exactly where I am having the squeaking sound on my 00 XLS. Somehow the noise disappears when the weather gets real cold or when there is a passenger sitting in the front seat. Otherwise the XLS is a joy to drive and the subject of many compliments.
  • It sounds like the Avalon gets some pretty high ratings around here. I have the opportunity to buy a 98 XL with 45K miles and new tires for about $11K from a colleague who is moving overseas in two weeks for a couple years. I wasn't exactly in the market for a car right now, since the van isn't paid off yet. Since I am currently driving an 85 Cressida with 110K miles that I bought used 10 years ago, this is starting to sound like a deal I can't refuse (assuming the car is in good shape, of course). Plus, I'd get air conditioning in the summer, CD player, ABS, air bags, and one of those new-fangled brake lights in the middle of the rear windshield! Anyone know a new driver that needs a "birth-year" car? :)
  • kkeekkee Posts: 2
    Just picked up my 2002 Avalon XLS, fully loaded; GV, VD, SR, options etc . I paid $300 over invoice. My dealer showed me the invoice and it all added up. I also verified against edmunds.com's invoice. Plus i bought a $150 manufacturer rebate from edmunds.com for $50. Good deal!
  • 02mdx02mdx Posts: 64
    Great deal on the '02 XLS. Could you tell us more about the rebate that you bought from Edmunds. I tried to find it, but came up blank.
  • 06mike06mike Posts: 13
    I am looking at purchasing a 2002 Avalon XLS. Tired of the idiot treatment from the dealer! One simple question they can't answer. Does the V6 need regular unleaded or premium unleaded. Some trade pubs say premium, dealer guesses regular. Dealer will not let me look at owners manual.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Because the owners manual says premium.
  • Read back a couple of hundred posts. This issue has been discussed at length on several forums. My 2000 Avalon XLS runs perfectly on 87 octane unleaded gas. So does my 2002 Camry XLE V6. I can't even tell the difference using premium, either in performance or mileage.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    owner's manual says: "87 octane or higher (premium recommended)" November's car and driver mag, has an article on the ongoing issue of reg unleaded vs premium unleaded. Check it out, it's on page 133, but if you still want to spend the extra money on premium, hey it's your money.

: )
    Mackabee