Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• My left side vent barely blows too! It is quite annoying, but I really don't think there is anything that can be done about it. As for the sunroof, mine does the same thing. Its suppose to. I don't know why, but thats how they were designed.
  • adc100adc100 Posts: 1,521
    I had the same thoughts.
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    I had a chance to drive it last night. The car was supposedly just off the truck that day. In the middle of the test drive there was suddenly a flapping noise coming from the engine. I asked if I should stop and find out what was making the noise. The salesman said it was probably just the fan. He tried to vary the fan speed and that did not affect the noise. I was saying to myself, "Fine. Just don't make me pay for it if I damage the engine.
    In addition, I have these observations and questions. It would be helpful to me if someone else would comment on these, especially if you had the chance to drive one with the PP and one without. It was too late last night to drive one without. I presently drive a 99 Civic EX sedan w/5-sp. Sitting in the driver's seat, the Sentra felt narrower. It also had more vibration and engine noise than the Civic (not surprising). Wind noise was fine. Again, it could be because there's something wrong with the engine in that particular sample. It took more effort to shift into each gear. That's not a big problem to me except I couldn't shift into 1st gear while the car was coasting down. When coming to a stop sign, I normally shift into 1st gear when the car's speed is down to 15-20mph. I would depress the clutch and shift into 1st gear. I don't release the clutch until I come to a complete stop and I'm ready to proceed. I can blame it on the cold weather, but then my Civic has no such problem at cold temperatures. This problem on the Sentra reminded me of my 83 Tercel. Has anyone else experience the same difficulty with their SE? The ride was rougher than the Civic and the handling was better (again, not surprising). Hopefully, someone who had a chance to drive one with the PP and one without would comment on the differences between the two in terms of noise, vibration, ride and handling, etc.
  • My 96 Sentra hit the curb and caused the damage to the bottom of the car. Two airbags
    also burst out. I brought it to Nissan dealer which fixed the damage (control arm, ..)
    for almost $1,000 but not the airbags. They told me to replace two airbags will cost around
    $2,000. I think it's ridiculous as the whole new car costs around $12,000. Now I am driving
    the Sentra without airbags.

What should I do? any advice appreciated.
  • fpm2fpm2 Posts: 13
    I had the same problem shifting into first. It doesn't happen all the time, which makes this really annoying. ANyone else have this problem?
  • I have the same issues with my 2000 SE Left center vent hardly blows, I also have that slighly raised passenger airbag cover. Anyone have any solutions to these things?
  • adc100adc100 Posts: 1,521
    When driving the vehicle home there seemed to be excessive vapor coming out of the exhaust (Wife driving-I was following). I also noticed water dripping out of exhaust. After 5 miles this went away. Still, it seemed to be excessive. Of course the car only had 11 miles on it and may have sat a while. The oil appeard OK. I changed oil anyway. Next time I drove it after a short period of time the "check engine" light came on. Wondering if the head gasket leaks. Antifreeze level was low when I got it home. Have an apointment with dealer. Thoughts??
  • trunktrunk Posts: 3
    Rebate info on this site sez 5.9% financing for 48 months on Sentra, good through 12/20. Does anyone think there might be an even better rate offered right after that? Wouldn't that make sense-- "12/21 through 12/31" or something. I hope so, b/c I don't think I can make up my mind by next Wednesday, but if I buy one right after this offer I could've saved about $500 over 4 year loan. Any guess?
  • trunktrunk Posts: 3
    I am interested in the SE, going to test drive on Wednesday. What first caught my attention was the TV commercial for the stereo. Is it as good as I hope it is? Also, does anyone know the manufacturer of the head unit/speakers? Interestingly, a lot of the good stereos in cars are advertised by name: JBL (Solara), Infinity (Grand Cherokee), Bose (Maxima), Harmon Kardon (BMW), Nakamichi (Lexus), Monsoon (VW)...
  • hey all. At first I was looking at the CE. But candidly, I can do without the extra horses and would like to save a little money with the GXE. I wanted to get a feeling for what kind of price I should be looking for. The dealer started with 15,995 then came down 500 beans. I think that price can be improved a good 750?? The GXE was a stick with ABS, six disk changer, mats and luxury package. The model is the 2001. Please give your thoughts, but I am thinking this is QUITE a bit high. Thanks
    Looks like you forgot to include the GXE Convenience Package (G03). It's mandatory with the GXE Luxury Package. If you add up the sticker prices on the options you mentioned to the base price and freight, it comes out to $15,845 which is exactly $150 less than $15,995. The Convenience Package lists for $150.

Including the Convenience Package, the invoice is $14,567. Edmunds.com's TMV, about $200 over invoice, sounds reasonable. Have you driven both versions yet?
  • The reason you are not able to shift the car into first gear when slowing down is because the car has a synchronizer (sp?) on it that doesn't allow you to do so. This is there so that you don't wreck the engine by accidently shifting into first gear when your traveling above a certain engine speed. It all has to do with your RPMs.
    There is nothing wrong with the car, you just have to know about this. My 91 Sentra does the same thing; either slow down to a complete stop, match the RPM so that the car will shift into first gear, or just use 2nd.
    Hope this clears up your question.
    Thanks for the reply. I already knew it had to do with the synchronizer. I did not state my question correctly. I was trying to find out why the Sentra did that while others didn't. Cost-saving?
  • I don't know why Nissan has them and others don't. Maybe they just care about the longevity of their engines more than other manufacturers :)
    Well, I hope that whatever car you choose you are happy with. I do know, however, that the Sentra is a blast to drive, especially with the 2.0 ltr engine.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    I would like to buy a Sentra SE with PP, but definitely without the Sunroof. Do you think I can find one after looking at several dealers (possibly over 100 SEs with PP)? Nope. This is typical of Nissan. They say an item is optional such as a Sunroof (and especially the overpriced and unnecessary anti-theft system with it's $75 dollar keys), but then add it to every car produced thereby making it "standard". I'd like to see the look on a dealer's face if you wanted to order a Sentra just to get one without the optional floor mats.
    Which part of the country are you in? Are you looking for a 2001? This doesn't sound good if and I'm ready for an SE w/PP and no sunroof. What about the Side-Impact Air Bags/ABS combo? Is it hard to find too?
  • thanks for the response. I drove the SE first. I loved it and it had a nice extra push than the GXE, those extra horses in the SE! But I do not want to pay the extra $$ for the SE at this point
    Let's compare. The GXE you're looking at has an invoice of $14,567. Take an SE and add to it the Side-Impact Air Bags/ABS, the CD changer and the floor mats. The base SE has essentially everything in the GXE's Convenience and Luxury Packages except the Vehicle Immobilizer/Vehicle Security system and the upgraded stereo. The total invoice is $15,154 or $587 more. If you can give up the CD changer then it's $14,808 or $241 more. Add $259 to these two prices if you want to add the Immobilizer/Vehicle Security system. The problem is finding the car with exactly the options that you want.
  • many of our new owners must have received the brochure about this plan. any comments? many thanks!
  • Well, I would predict that the dealer would put a big happy smile on his face because all he would have to do is remove the floor mats from the vehicle! :)