Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• davejaydavejay Posts: 18
    I own a 2000 GXE and a 2001 GXE. I just noticed that my 2001 has no door lock on the passenger side, but my 2000 does.

This worries me -- specifically because I'm from Chicago, and when the lock cylinder froze on one side during winter, I always had the other side as backup, even if my car battery was dead (i.e., useless keyfob).

The last thing I need is to be locked out of my car with a dead battery, unable to get inside and jump it without breaking a window.

So is this missing door lock a change done throughout north america, or just in some regions -- and can I order a 2000 door handle and internal pieces to add the lock? Two dealerships said "we dunno, and we dunno who to talk to about it".
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    You can get in through the trunk, unless you can't fold down the rear seat(s) through the trunk.
  • davejaydavejay Posts: 18
    Just picturing the snow and slush tracked through the trunk, over the back seats, console and front seats gives me the willies. :)
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    I agree (the picturing). Why don't you skip the front doors try one of the rear ones (again through the trunk)? Definitely don't try to break one of the windows (I hope you're just kidding). There're ways to unlock your door(s).
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    I think it won't be long before all U.S. cars have no passenger door lock. Most cars in Europe have only a lock on the Driver's side. Automakers can save a lot of $$ by leaving off an extra lock, which, with remote entry almost standard now, is rarely used.
  • narenjinarenji Posts: 161
    I definitely think Nissan is trying to save some $$ by excluding that lock. I noticed it, but figured that since I had keyless entry, maybe that's why it was excluded. I did not notice the locks on other Sentras (GXEs or XEs). I actually saw an XE in a parking lot yesterday and it did have a pass side lock, maybe that one was a 2000?

With regards to the availability, I too was surprised to find find a good selection of SEs with manual. No SE manuals with ABS though. That's a tougher combination to find. I figured that LA area dealers would order very few manuals.

When I bought my first car in Maine about 2 years ago, I found a lot of 5spds in dealer lots. I guess people prefer 5 spds in Maine. At a Subaru dealership, they only had about 3 automatic Outbacks, out of about 25. At a Honda dealer, I found the same thing. Lots of 5spds. It's difficult to find 5spds on some models here in Calif, but others are easier. 5spds are easier to find on Civics, Accords, and Integras, and other sporty cars and sedans. I was also trying to find a Camry LE V6 5spd but was thoroughly unsuccessful. Outbacks here are 99% automatic. I think it also depends on the dealer's attitude towards 5spds. My dealer, Performance Nissan, had a good selection of 5spds for all Nissan products, including the Pathfinder.
  • canalicanali Posts: 2
    . by canali Jun 14, 2001 (12:24 pm)
    Pls email me directly at: joseph.collins@telus.com

I'm also considering waiting for the new MP3 version in a few wks time OR the upcoming new
    civic hb si (160 hp) due in early 2002 or the bland but quiet and reliable toyota corolla...also considering the new 2001 nissan sentra se (2.0 liter, 145 horses).

My question for your mazda protege 2.0 litre owners: is the protege quiet at hywy speeds and is it a comfortable cruiser for long period hywy cruising?...also any likes/dislikes would be appreciated to hear of.

Cheers,
    Joe Collins
    Vancouver BC Canada
  • Hey guys:

Does anyone know the resale value of a 5 speed manual drive sentra as opposed to an automatic Sentra ? Is it significantly higher/lower/does not matter. just curious !!

Thanks.
  • gastonf75gastonf75 Posts: 3
    I have a 1996 Nissan Sentry it has been a great car. Two months ago the horn and the cruise control stop working. I know the horn has a solenoid, but I am not sure what is going on with the cruise control. The turn on light comes on but when I press set it the cruise light does not come on and the cruise does not set. If anybody has any advice let me know. Also anybody knows were to get a horn solenoid, other that from the Nissan people.

My battery was drained two days ago, I recharge it and it works fine. But now the Air bag light blinks all the time. Any suggestions
  • newskate9newskate9 Posts: 7
    Hi,
    2001 Sentra SE, PP, radio with CD Standard. Owned since 10/00.

Radio is getting static on AM. Distant and not so distant channels
    I hear clicking / loud static. Comes and goes, especially going over
    bumps while at high speed, not as much at low speed. Static most but
    not all the time is engine rpm type noise (goes up and down with rpm).
    Periodic, comes and goes like loose wire.

Dealer said antenna was loose - no use. Current direction is to
    replace radio (dealer has ordered new and reman one to install -
    taking very long to get it though).

Question - Does this sound like radio problem? Or power supply to
    radio? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Please don't
    tell me to listen to FM only, I paid for AM too!!

Thanks for any help or perspective.
  • newmaixmanewmaixma Posts: 4
    Hi, I heard from a friend that Nissan has a recall on 2001 sentra. It is about the suspension.

Where can I find Nissan recall information?

Thanks.
  • gewaltaktgewaltakt Posts: 9
    the time has finally arrived, 1000 miles on the 'ol odometer. i bought a 2001 Sentra SE w/ PP 5 speed and 6 disc a month ago in Radium. Although, my sister says its silver. that as we radium owners know is a load of crap, radium is silver with a hint of campaign (spelling?). anywho, overall the car has been fantastic. performs and looks like a dream. except of course for the fact that shes out of alignment (i'm taking care of that on friday, arent warranties great!!) i've also managed to hear a little rattle here and there that all seem to go away. maybe shes just settling in. also, i might be asking a little too much from a sentra. as much as this badboy looks expensive, we all know its not a lexus. to the point though, all cars have their little problems that need to be fixed at first so that we may enjoy many years of excellent driving. nissan has managed to build a compact econo car that looks, feels, and drives like a helluva more expensive car. the looks from the other students at my school make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. i love my sentra. but it breaks my heart that i have to make another appointment for that damn recall. oh well, we'll all live another day (hopefully).
    carpoint.msn.com does a good job of keeping you up to date on information regarding your specific car. also, if you bought a 2001 sentra, you should be receiving a letter in the mail from nissan soon regarding the recall.
  • I own a 2001 Sentra SE with the performance package. If I leave my doors unlocked the security system won't set on its own.

I thought that it was supposed to set on its own & lock the doors automatically.

Am I wrong? How does yours work?
  • lgoldinlgoldin Posts: 90
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/01sentra_se.htm.

mousemover1, to set the alarm you have to press "lock" on keyfob when all doors are already locked.

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Cars with automatic transmissions are generally valued higher than the same model with a manual transmission.

A used 2000 Nissan Sentra with automatic transmission will cost you about $700 more than the same model with manual transmission.

Understand that is the cost that one source I have gives. That is not the value of what it would be worth to a dealer for your car to have automatic and not manual.

Personally, I like rowing my own gears even in rush hour traffic, but that is just me.
  • kashakidkashakid Posts: 1
    Have folks been able to get straight invoice of $12,974 for a 2001 GXE now that it's the end of the model year? Is it realistic to try and go below this mark? Negotiating on June 29th!!! Help.
  • heyqaqaheyqaqa Posts: 3
    Here is the information on the '01 Sentra recall from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V174000

Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:LOWER

Manufacturer: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC

Potential Number of Units Affected: 80000

Year: 2001

Make: NISSAN

Model: SENTRA

Manufactured From: JUL 2000 To: APR 2001

Year of Recall: '01

Type of Report: Vehicle

Summary:

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. One or more of the three bolts used to attach each front suspension lower control arm to the body on the left and right sides may not have been properly manufactured.

The bolts could fracture, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will replace the lower control arm attachment bolts. Owner notification is expected to begin by the end of June 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

A comfort for those '01 Sentra owners who also considered buying those cars before:

Recall: '01 Civic, 2 times

Recall: '01 Focus, 2 times

Recall: '01 Protege, 1 time

So don't regret choosing Sentra. It's a very good car for your money.

hey guys/girls. i went up to the dealership where i bought my sentra to have an alignment done. i had checked to make sure my air pressure was correct all around before i went. well i got it back and was heading home when i noticed that the aligment hadnt been fixed. i had some things to take care of so i didnt have time to go back and argue at that point. i also live an hour away, anywho, does anyone know of any other reasons why the car might still be turning to the right? you cant screw up an alignment can you? anyway, any help from anyone is appreciated. thanks!
  • martycalimartycali Posts: 3
    Thanks Heyqa for the real info. YOKES!! I just got a sentra yesterday now I am MAD! I had rented one a few weeks ago for several days, and liked it. it was a smooth ride, which is important to me. But after driving my new 2001 axe for a day, I notice I feel EVERY bump in the road. That is why I came here, to ask. then I see a suspension related recall! do you think this rough ride could have something to do with the suspension problem recall? I am ticked now. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
  • martycalimartycali Posts: 3
    Thanks Heyqa for the recall info. YIKES!! I just got a sentra yesterday now I am MAD! I had rented one a few weeks ago for several days, and liked it. it was a smooth ride, which is important to me. But after driving my new 2001 gxe for a day, I notice I feel EVERY bump in the road. That is why I came here, to ask. then I see a suspension related recall! do you think this rough ride could have something to do with the suspension problem recall? I am ticked now. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
  • htn123htn123 Posts: 15
    Kashakid,
    I am looking at the Atlanta Journal Constitution newspaper Sunday Jun 24 and Sentra GXE with AC/AM/FM/CD/Cruise/Keyless/PW at $10,997 with 5.9%. They have 3 to chose so I might have a chance to get this.
    Hope this help.
    Any one has a better deal than this?
  • wazappawazappa Posts: 32
    I too had the same problem. By 2000 Sentra Se w/p.p. pulled to the right. I took it in to the dealer and they drove the car and said yes the car is out of alignment. So I left the car there overnight and they anligned it the next morning. So I go to pick up the car and start driving it home. It seemed alright untill I got on to the highway and I noticed that the car still was pulling to the right. Not as bad as before but still it should be perfect after they fix it. So a few days later I brought it back and had them drive it again. They said yes it is STILL pulling somewhat. They checked everything again and they said that everything seemed to be in order, but it still was pulling alittle bit. They said that they did everything that they could do. At first I didn't really thing anything of it. But than I got to thinking hey this car is only one year old, has only been driven 5 months out of that year, the rest of the time it has been in winter storage, and it only has about 6500 miles on it. I thought hey there is something that nissan should do to correct the problem. But than a few days later I got to thinking again. I remembered that it was pulling to the right, and the right front tire had been wearing funny because of the car being out of alignment. So I decided to put the front tire that was wearing on the outside edge on the back and put the back on the front. I had heard somewhere that if your car is out of alignment for too long it can actually shift the metal cords that are inside the tires, causing the car to tend to travel more in that direction slightly. So after I switched the tires around everything seemed to be o.k. The car traveled in a straight line. Before, the second I let go of the steering wheel the car would start pulling right. Now I can let go of the steering wheel and it will go straight. So I recommend checking that front right tire for unusual tread wear, and for sure switch it with a back tire. This might solve your problem. It worked for me.
  • jcu1886jcu1886 Posts: 39
    Regarding the suspension, the ride with the SE and PP is definitely hard. You feel all the bumps in the road. I'm afraid that is the price we pay for a better handling machine than with standard suspension.
  • gooniesgoonies Posts: 24
    my sentra also pulled, but when they said it was "to Spec", i noticed that it wasn't really pulling. instead the steering wheel is off center ever so slightly, so when you centered the wheel driving it pulled in that direction. also nothing then can do about off centered wheels. im just use to it now.
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    Hi, I'm a long time reader of this forum because I am very interested in buying an SE w/PP, 5 speed. First of all I have a question regarding the 2002 model year. Will the SE w/pp remain or will it be replaced by the SE-R's. The few dealers in my area haven't given me a straight up answer, no surprise. Anyway, about the pulling to the right. I have heard from some mechanics in my home town that some vehicles have a slight pull to the right designed into the front end so if you happen to fall asleep at the wheel, the car will naturally veer off to the right, rather than into oncoming traffic.
  • wbabbottwbabbott Posts: 8
    I bought a Sentra GXE for $12,500 today in Chesapeake, VA. Price included destination + 5.9% financing for 60 months. I test drove both Honda Civic and the Sentra. Sorry Honda, but Sentra has Keyless Entry, more HP, and CD/AM/FM system that Civic don't have,.... and Nissan deals, i.e. rebates & financing!

I like the car, it's tight like a Honda....
  • gserep1gserep1 Posts: 92
    Hello,
    I would like to make a comment about a statement made by #806 on the pulling to the right. The writer made a comment that nothing can be done about a steering wheel that is off center. I respectfully disagree. Having the steering wheel centered after an alignment is a BIG thing in my book. It CAN be done. The FIRST thing that any good alignment technician does is center the steering wheel by putting a device in the driver's seat to hold the wheel while he works underneath. Then the wheels are set according to that wheel position. To me, there is nothing more annoying than having a wheel pointing at the 11:00 clock or 1:00 o'clock position while driving straight. Some steering wheels are designed so that gauges can be viewed through the open part of the wheel between your hands. Go back and tell the shop that you want the wheel centered. It is not hard to do.
    Thanks,
    GSEREP1
  • htn123htn123 Posts: 15
    Hi Wbabbott,
    Is the $12500 included all taxes and fees? ie: is it the DRIVE OUT price?
    I just got a quote from a dealer for $12966 DRIVE OUT price and 3.9% for 60 months here in Atlanta, GA.
    DRIVE OUT price includes everything, that's the very final price that they put in the purchase contract.
    Thanks
  • cyanogelcyanogel Posts: 11
    Hi, wbabbott and htn123
    I assume your Sentra GXE have manual tranny,right?