Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• paddler1paddler1 Posts: 6
    Well, after spending a day at the KC Auto Show my search for a car is down to the Protoge ES and the Sentra SE-R. My thoughts so far: Exterior: About even although the Nissan has an ugly, ugly rear. Oddly it doesn't look that bad in white, my preferred color.
    Interior: Once again about even. The material used in both cars is nowhere near the quality of the material in my 93 Protoge. We can see where the sacrifices are made to keep costs down. Still both cars are far superior to Honda which have the cheesiest interiors on the planet when you consider their premium price.
    Mechanicals: We'll see when I test drive both cars next weekend (if I can find an SE-R with a manual). Road tests on the new 2.0 in the Mazda make it sound like a rather staid low-revving engine. But in the real world of driving mostly below 4000 RPM that may be ok.
    I am excited about the 2.5 in the SE-R but have heard reports of excessive oil usage and so-so performance for what is promised. I may be looking for a used SE 2.0 if neither car pleases. Would appreciate opinions from anyone with experience with either or both.
  • skawtteyskawttey Posts: 2
    I have finally decided that the SE-R (not spec v) will be my next car. I was wondering if anyone has had any major problems with reliability with this car. Also, what is the over all feeling from owners on this car?
  • adc100adc100 Posts: 1,521
    I also have some concerns about the long term reliability of the 2.5 engine. I own an 01 SE and am more than pleased with the engine. This engine is rock solid. Since this engine is no longer available, I would give serious consideration to the Protege. I bought the SE because of the seat comfort and the 2.0L engine.

skawttey: check out this link http://www.b15sentra.net/UBB.html
  • quark99quark99 Posts: 136
    Haven't posted for a while...No problems as so far as my odo hits 50,000 miles. Still love the car, still love my BFG KDW 215-50-16's. Not impressed with the new Spec-V; I believe Nissan should have evolved the 2.0 SRD20E motor further, as Acura has done with the RSX. Hope everyone else here is happy with their Sentra; to me it's still the best bang for the buck; I don't care how good the new Protege is; it still ain't got that wonderful limited-slip front-end that allows us 5-speed SE owners to rocket out of corners. Of course, not everyone is a speed or cornering junkie like me...
    quark
  • kstephankstephan Posts: 41
    Please tell me more about the 215/50-16 BFG tires you have. I don't know what KDW means...are they high-performance tires? When I replace the OEM tires on my SE, I'd like to upgrade the size, but can't find any 215/50-16 tires listed anywhere.
  • kstephankstephan Posts: 41
    I should have checked TireRack.com before asking that. I just did a search, and sure enough, there's the BFG KDW. Must be fairly new, because I searched the site not long ago, and the only 215/50-16 that showed up was the same Firestone model that comes standard on the car.

Still, how's the dry traction and steering response with the BFG tires? Considerably better than the OEM tires (which aren't totally horrible, IMO)?
  • brn5336brn5336 Posts: 2
    Hi I was just wondering what kind of lease deals people are getting on the 2002 Sentra GXE. Please let me know what a good lease would be for this vehicle. I was quoted $216/month for 39 months, 12k miles, and $1600 out of pocket. Kind of high if you ask me.
  • th83th83 Posts: 164
    Has anyone here had any experience with an automatic SE-R? I'm looking for a new car in the Protege/Sentra/Civic class and I want an automatic but I also want a sunroof which the GXE doesn't offer(stupid decision by Nissan). So my only other choice(in the Sentra line-up, at least)would be the SE-R. I'm coming from a Legend so I'm hoping the SE-R auto has decent power. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • jeff186jeff186 Posts: 95
    Hi, I'm in NJ also and we just bought a GXE. We're paying $290/month over 60 months with Nissan low-rate financing, with nothing down. So your lease seems kind of high to me. If you're interested, I can tell what dealership and sales rep I worked with.
  • se_rladyse_rlady Posts: 1
    This past weekend I've purchased an SE-R/auto with floor mats and air filtration for $16,092 + T&T in the DC/Baltimore area. Was this a good price? The dealer also mentioned that every car that is sold in the U.S. gets tagged with some sort of manufacturer's advertising fee, which in MD is $400, is this true? I am enjoying the car so far, the performance is so much better than a Honda Civic, I just hope that the car will hold up for many years to come since I plan on keeping this car until it dies.

Sandi
  • cocoabchcocoabch Posts: 1
    Does anyone have strong yay/nay on this
    year and model? I need a strong second
    car for school/work. Thanks for your input.
    JODY
  • johnmc5jjohnmc5j Posts: 1
    My wife is conserned, because she knows people that had altimas (dont know the years), and the timing chain broke about 70-80k miles. We are looking at a sentra 2000 GXE, she thinks it is ok but I just want to ask
  • dmv71dmv71 Posts: 6
    I have a GXE automatic Nissan Sentra. When I drive at a high speed (75-85), I sometimes get an intermittent whistling noise (like a boiling teapot) coming from the dashboard are near the steering wheel. Does anyone have this problem or know how it can be fixed? Thanks in advance for you advice/comments!!!
  • ckonnickckonnick Posts: 5
    i believe it's coming from the airflow around the outside door mirror. i've heard to also. have you noticed the sound of the water drops smacking against the drivers side pillar when driving at high speed in the rain? btw, i trade my 2000 sentra gxe today...too much engine, wind, road noise and rattles in the dash. i'm driving 3 hours a day at 70 mph and i think im going deaf from this car. it's an around-town commuter only.
  • I bought a 2001 Sentra SE last May. It just turned 14,000 miles and something that has been a problem for a long time has been a strong odor kind of like sulfur/rotten eggs coming from my car after I drive it. It doesn't stink all the time, only sporadically. Can anyone guess what the problem could be and how I can fix it?
  • lgoldinlgoldin Posts: 90
    Normally such smell is a result of using different type of gasoline. Try to stick to one gas station (one company) and smell should dissaper within 2-3 fill-ups
  • adc100adc100 Posts: 1,521
    This must (obviously) needs to be done by the dealer. You may need to pound your fist on the table to get 'em to do it.
  • jmessjmess Posts: 677
    I just spent a week with an XE automatic with 500 miles on it. I did a combination of city and freeway driving. Be warned that this car is really under powered with the automatic. Acceleration is really slow below 3000 RPMs. The car also has a really annoying habit of kicking in an out of overdrive on the highway. Any wind or slight up hill slope will result in the car kicking out of overdrive and raising up the RPMs quite a bit even with just one person in the car. This really gets old quick. With a couple of people in the car and some gear in the trunk it would drive you crazy.

The rest of the car is adequate and I felt the ride was good for a smaller car. The only major defect I found was a major air leak in the driver's door seal. I have driven a Toyota Corolla on the same route and it is a much better car with the automatic. If you like Sentras and need an automatic then the SER automatic with the 2.5L engine should be a must drive before you buy.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    say what? Have NEVER heard different brands of gas cause that odor! I am not loyal to any one company (shop price/octane) and have NEVER had that problem...

Must be a "Canadian" thing...lol
  • i just read a test by an independedt tester about the performance, weird thing is, the altima 2.5s has a lower 0-60 time than sentra se-r, both are auto transmission. so the se-r has a little less power than altima, but it's also weight less. can somebody tell me why is se-r slower than altima on 0-60?
  • madijomadijo Posts: 30
    Anyone know the fix for an intermittent working odometer? It only works when the weather is cold or cool and then only for 6 to 8 miles at a time then stops until next time its cool?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    A journalist is looking for someone who bought one "twin" over another where the manufacturer offers two or more vehicles based on the same basic platform. (a Maxima vs. an I35 (or I30) or the TL vs. Accord)
    Did you know it was basically the same vehicle as the other?
    Why did you choose it over the other?
    Please submit your response to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, May 15.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jpitterjpitter Posts: 1
    I'm hoping someone can explain to me the difference between the Nissan Sentra and the Sentra Classic. Are the differences merely in the body, or are they more substantial, engine, etc.?
  • skid3skid3 Posts: 11
    The Sentra classic is, I believe, a 91 to 93 model. Check the SE-R. net website. I purchased a 91 SE-R new and later saw it referred to as a classic. I now have a 2001 Sentra SE 2.0 due to my experience with the 1991 SE-R.
  • I am looking at a used Sentra Se-R 1992 with 110,000 miles on it for 3 grand. Would this be a good deal? Any other suggestions for a quick car in a similar price range? thanks guys ;]
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Weren't Sentra Classics a Mexican market car? They kept the 91-4 style into '95 as a "Classic".
  • mcdellmcdell Posts: 1
    I have a 2001GXE with Dunlop tires (factory) and whenever I brake (semi-harsh) from high speed (70mph) to like 40mph on freeway to avoid accidents, the car rattles to the sides and spins, once it almost turned 180 degrees. Trying to brake with 4 passengers inside at a stop sign on wet road also causes this to happen (squeals). I brought it to the dealership and they said the tires didn't have enough pressure so they inflated all tires to 40psi, but this problem is still happening so I brought it back again (this time at a different dealership and they ended up saying the tires were too inflated so they released some air to make it at 28psi for all tires. I noticed a sticker on the car that says the tires should be at 33psi. So anyone ever had the same problems? Do you know if it's the tires or the brakes? Any suggestions?
  • I am looking into buying a 98 Sentra with 58K for about $6500. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any problems with this car??
  • MY DTR JUST BROUGHT ONE HOME TODAY BOUGHT FROM
    A " REPUTABLE" DEALER WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OF ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS WE MAY BE LOOKING AT. AUTO HAS 63K
    ON IT. ALSO CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS ANTI
    CORROSION BOX THEY INSTALLED (ITS A BOX HOOKED UP TO THE BATTERY THAT IS SUPPOSED TO KEEP THE
    CAR FROM RUSTING) I ALMOST DIED WHEN MY DTR SHOWED ME THE CHARGE FOR INSTALLING IT $689.00