Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I love my 2.5LE. I have had it just over two months and have put nearly 5700 miles on it thus far. Great car for the price- unbeatable power, side airbags (which protect the head, not just torso as in the Corolla, for example), ABS, supportive front buckets, decent fuel economy-I avg. 26 MPG in a mix of highway, and highway stop and go traffic. Did I mention the engine? I was a bit skeptical of the car's Mexican point of assembly, but have thus far no reason to be disappointed.

Things I dont like
    ABSURD/USELESS cupholders.
    Wish it had fog lights standard, too.
    Back seat way too small- (in this one aspect, you can tell the car was designed in the late 90s.)
    Does not shift as smoothly as our Toyota's, but much smoother than my 94 Civic.
    Engine sounds "boomy" between 2000-2500 RPM under load.

After incentives (1000 cash back at the time, and 2.9 financing to boot!), I paid 15,090+ tax, title, license. I was happy that I got it for invoice minus the rebate. MSRP was $17,366.

I test drove many cars in its class. I did not waste time at Saturn though, after sitting in the ION and feeling/seeing its interior quality/appearance.

~alpha
  • william21william21 Posts: 16
    Have a 93 Sentra that has a problem with the seat belt indicator light going off at different times even though the belts seem to be intact. Can this light be disconnected or at least the sound it makes when it goes off? I figure it is probably part of some computer related part that will cost a lot to fix.
  • malibu_jackmalibu_jack Posts: 75
    anyone have any tidbits on what to expect for 2005? I am curious if the car will go through another model change / look.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I am very seriously considering buying a '03 Sentra but would really like a '04. Does anyone know when the next generation Sentra will be released? Being an avid Toyota fan since 1988 with 2 Corollas and 2 Camrys, I was quite skeptical when the wife bought a '01 Altima. But, I hate to admit it, it does drive very nicely, hence the idea of purchasing a new Sentra.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my question.

The Sandman :-)
    The 04 models will feature a freshening of front and rear end styling, the front receiving a 7/8s version of the Maxima grille. The SE-R models and the regular Sentra will share the same grille/front end styling for 04, unlike 02/03 models. The 04 Sentras will wear new model designations, with the XE becoming the 1.8, and the GXE becoming the 1.8 S. The Altima engine will be once again available in the non SE-R Sentra, though it wont be called the 2.5LE, it will be the 2.5 S, and I'm not sure what it will get in terms of standard equipment. Expect a few new colors as well, though there dont seem to be any interior enhancements.

I would expect a full dress redo for 2005, though no word as yet.
    ~alpha
    Where did you get your information from?
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    go to http://www.nissannews.com ,and there will be a link under Nissan Motor news (not corporate). I didn't see anything there about the new naming system, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but there are a good number of pics of the 04 SE-R.

Alpha01, please post where you found your info.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    All of the info is available at www.theautochannel.com
    I dont know if these were intended for release yet- I got it from a box at the NY Int't Auto Show. The brochure is not marked either 2003 or 2004, but the ONLY Maxima shown, in a 4 page spread, is 2004 MY. Both the Armada and 2004 Quest are both shown in the back, though no information is provided.

I can copy the pages of the Sentra and fax them to anybody who wants to see what I am talking about.

~alpha
    go to www.nissannews.com, on the lower portion of the page, there is a headline, which links to the full story and pricing information.

~alpha
  • carman54carman54 Posts: 14
    I hear the new 2004 will hit May 15..The pricing will be similar to 2003. They are freshening it up a a bit...new colors, new model names..1.8, 1.8S, 2.5S.. some new features..I will wait. I was going to buy 2003 2.5 LE. I suppose I should wait, but the 2003 has a $1500 rebate. I doubt if 2004 will and probably not at invoice either.
    I'd like to see what you found. I e-mailed you earlier, did you get it?

Actually, I dont believe I did. Would you try resending it, and please explicitly state "04 Sentra-edmunds.com" in the title, so I don't delete it (which may have happened the first time).

-alpha
  • rthshorthsho Posts: 3
    What is the deal with that? I want an manual transmission with ABS on my car, but found out that on the Sentra, they offer this combination only on the V-Spec. In addition to that you need to get the sunroof and audio package, an additional $1248.00.
    ABS is not available with a 5-speed on any other Sentra.
    $19,736.00 MSPR for the most economical Nissan with Manual Transmission and ABS. Little steep isn't it?
  • gotbgotb Posts: 39
    I was seriously considering getting a 2003 Sentra LE for $14,100 ($3100 off MSRP with $1500 rebate) but I'm not so sure after I found about this recall...

NHTSA recall info:
    ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 2.5 LITER ENGINE, THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN MAY CATCH DEBRIS FROM THE ROAD THAT COULD BE IGNITED BY CONTACT WITH THE MAIN CATALYST. THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

ALSO ON 2002 ALTIMA AND SENTRA VEHICLES, CERTAIN ENGINE OPERATING CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE THE PRE-CATALYST TO OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE THE CATALYST SUBSTRATE. IF SUBSTRATE PARTICLES ENTER THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, THEY COULD SCORE THE CYLINDER WALLS, RESULTING IN INCREASED OIL CONSUMPTION. IF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL IS NOT CHECKED ON A PERIODIC BASIS AND DROPS BELOW THE LOW LEVEL, AND THE DRIVER CONTINUES TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE IGNORING NOTICEABLE ENGINE NOISE, ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A FIRE. NISSAN IS STILL DEVELOPING A REMEDY FOR THE PRE-CATALYST PROBLEM. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
    I just brought my 01 Sentra in for warrenty work and a brake inspection. The car sat on the lot for over 9 hours without being looked at, When they did manage to look at it, they could not re-produce the issues I was having problems with and told me that I needed new Rotors and Brake pads (at a cost of approx $500). The fishy part is that they claimed the rotors were warped, when I know they are not. Also, I had new rotors put on the car under warrenty about 8 months ago! How could rotors that are less than a year old need replacing? Some wierd is going on here.
  • roger619roger619 Posts: 4
    My '02 GXE makes a low, steady hooting or droning noise when I turn off the engine after my daily commute (35 miles each way). At first I thought it was a distant siren or factory whistle, then I realized my car was the source of the noise. The noise usually lasts about ten minutes. My working theories at the moment are a) pressure in the gas tank or b) contraction (or expansion) of the catalytic converter. I'd welcome any shared experiences or tips.
    I dont have the hooting noise, but after I turn the car off, man! it sure does make a racket- ping pop clank.... very uncool, our Toyotas and Hondas never made sounds after turning them off like this vehicle does. I have the 2.5L engine.
    I'm going to inquire about it when I next have the vehicle in for servicing.
    ~alpha
  • roger619roger619 Posts: 4
    The other day, while my '02 GXE was in mid-hoot (see my previous posting on this subject) I happened to be at a filling station and opened the gas-tank filler cap. Result: after an initial rush of gas pressure being released from the fuel tank, the hooting noise stopped completely. Well, I'm glad to have identified the source of this annoyance, but now my question is: Can it be good for a car to have such a high level of pressure build-up in the gas tank? Is it anything to do with the quality of gasoline, octane levels, heat, etc.? Again, tips much appreciated.
    Test drove a '03 GXE yessterday and found it quite nice with powerful brakes and then drove the Corolla right after. The Corolla brakes are as mushy as my '96 Corolla but the fit and finish of the '03 Corolla was quite remarkable, making the Sentra look 2nd class. Also drove the Protege, but is out of contention, just not that great.
    The Sentra will be cheaper to get into but am afraid I will be sorry about not getting the Corolla, thus my quandry.
    Help!!!

the Sandman :-)
    Well...The service manager came through. I re-booked an appoinment and they treated me like gold this time around. The service manager told me he would inspect the car himself and give me another estimate on the brakes. Well as it turns out, the rotors were fine, and all I needed were new pads. He had the rotors machined, cleaned the rear brakes, adjusted and put the new pads up front, at the cost of the front pads only! No labour!

Heck, they even put me in a rental for the day at their cost....didn't have to pay a cent for it! This to me is quite unheard of from Nissan since I have had nothing but trouble with service since day one with my 01 sentra. It has brought back confidence in the brand.

BTW, I saw the new 04's in the dealership and I can't say I really like the new grill treatment. Something looks wrong with the grey buck tooth. I mean, it looks great on the new Maxi, but it looks like it was a last minute decision for the Sentra.
    Will pick up our Molten Silver GXE tomorrow, as they are putting on the pinstripe, door edge guards, and the wheel well moldings right about now. They got me a car with splash guards and some kind of pollen filter. Terry seems to think we got a good price, let's hope all is well!
    We are now a 2 car Nissan family as the wife drives a '01 Altima GXE Ltd. Ed. and still loves it.

• pghboypghboy Posts: 1
    My 02 Nissan Sentra is the worst car I have ever owned. It's loud, I feel like I'm going to blow off the road when it's windy, uncomfortable even for short trips and last but not least NO POWER. I hate this car and would run it off a cliff if I could. I would NEVER recommend this car to anyone and this has definitely soured me on Nissan complely. But I'm not bitter.
    Compared to what? Supra Turbos? Check the numbers in any car magazine- the 126 hp engine in the Sentra delivers excellent fuel economy and acceleration that compares well with the rest of the small car world.

I have never felt like I would blow off the road in my Sentra, but then again, I used to drive a Civic that was much lighter. I also dont think this car is loud.

What was your previous car? Did you not test drive the vehicle before purchase? Did you expect a smaller Maxima? Why did you choose this car in the first place?

I'd feel alot differently about your post if you hated the car due to mechanical failures, it being a "lemon", something like that. That is unacceptable (though inevitable for all makes) and would definitely sour me on the make. That is not the case though. Its your fault you purchased this vehicle, and nobody else's.

~alpha
    I ahve 2 questions for ya.
    (1) Did your gas mileage improve as you racked up the miles on your car. I only have 102 miles and the tank reads a little above 1/2 a tank. I was told that this mileage should improve up till about 5000 miles as by then, the engine is at its peak.
    (2) I noticed in the 2 center air vents, the 1 for the passenger blows a stronger air stream then the 1 closer to me. The service guy came out and took off the center tray and explained that the blower motor is on the right side, thus the stronger air flow. Does this sound feasable to you. They have already documented this in the computer for me just in case a problem arises at a later date. They said it was normal.
    Any thoughts? So far though, the car feels nice and tight but I plan to baby it for the first 500 or so miles.

(1)Averaged only about 24MPG in a 50/50 mix for the first several tank fulls. After about 2000 miles, I have been averaging about 27MPG doing the same routine, and my best observed has been just under 31 MPG.

(2)I have not noticed that, but it certainly sounds feasible to me. On a much broader scale, if you have central air in your dwelling, think of the vents- mine dont blow with the same gusto, ones furthest suffering most.

Happy Motoring,
    ~alpha
  • lgoldinlgoldin Posts: 90
    Wow. I can never get better than 25 in my 2001 SE. It is mixed city/hwy driving and I drive hard. But still, 2.5L is better in gas mileage than 2.0L. Alpha, what is your driving style?
    unless I have friends who I'm trying to impress with me in the car :) Honestly though, in a car that weighs what? 2750 lbs? it only takes a light tap on the gas to get to speed reasonably quickly. One thing I have noticed, that I dont like- the A/C takes a distinct toll on acceleration.

I drive almost exclusively highways, but often there is heavy stop and go traffic. However, I've massaged my communting times to/from work, and I'd say a fair estimate is 35/65 city/highway.

~alpha
  • gotbgotb Posts: 39
    I bought a 2003 Sentra 2.5 LE about one month ago and insured it with GEICO. I used their web site to get a quote and when I typed my car's VIN, it showed as Sentra SE-R... I called GEICO and the rep said 2.5 LE has the same premium rate as SE-R and SE-R Spec V because they have the same engine and performance... Does this make sense? I paid $605 for 6 months... I'm a single 23 yrs old male and never had a car before. The Sentra 2.5 LE is great and I haven't found anything to dislike yet.
  • giant56giant56 Posts: 9
    I owned a 98 Maxima SE and my policy vehicle description would show as: 98 Nissan Maxima GLE/GXE/SE because the share the same engine. So the Geico rep. was correct in telling you this. My wife and I also enjoy our 2.5 LE. Went on a 600+ road trip and the car was better than what I expected.