Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• quark99quark99 Posts: 136
    Maybe Kragen or Pep Boys are cheaper...but...
    At our local Napa Auto Parts, the baseball-sized filter for my 2000 Sentra SE is $5.99ea for their "Gold" filter. At Concord Nissan, replacement Nissan Sentra filters are $5.31ea.
    Side Note: Nissan redesigned the oil filter for both the 1.8 and 2.0 Sentra motors in 2001. The new-style is about 3/4" longer...(I noticed when I changed a friend's new GXE during his 1st oil change) Since our filters for these cars are so small that you get laughed at when you buy them, any extra size/filtering ability is welcomed. Haven't seen the new size in aftermarket; go to your dealer and ask for a 2001-2002 Sentra GXE filter.
  • zhzzhz Posts: 29
    I think some people already post this address. But here it is again.

http://www.nissan-accessories.com/

a good place to get OEM oil filter. $4.47 w/o s/h for non-texas residents.
  • Geez....man, you don't drive a lot, do you? 400 miles in 3 months, or was that a typo?

Not a typo. While the three months includes a month that I was away (with the car in the parking lot) I don't need to drive much because my work/school provides a shuttle service.
  • katraakkatraak Posts: 33
    With such low mileage I'm sure you are going to keep excellent resale down the road. Like I said before you need not change oil until you have a 1000 miles on the odometer and thereafter change every 4000 miles.
    I guess it's fine if you want to get your oil changes done elsewhere other than the dealer. But all the service recommended in the maintenance manual needs to be done and also you have to hold on to the receipts and other documentation. That way if you ever have any trouble with the car during warranty period, the dealer cannot refuse service saying that routine maintenance was not performed as recommended by the manufacturer.
  • gserep1gserep1 Posts: 92
    Hey gang,
    I spent 15 minutes writing the last post, and I can't get it to work. I will try later. Funny how this last one goes up, and the first one will not. It is still stored in the computer's cache, but I can't get it to post. That is upsetting to say the least.
    GSEREP1
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Click here - pat "Welcome to the Sedans Message Board" Jul 8, 2001 1:58pm - that may explain what happened and what you can do next time. I'm sorry that happened to you, I know how frustrating that is.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Hey ZHZ,

Just finished installing the In-Cabin Micro Filter in my 2000 Sentra SE. The installation instructions list 8 steps under Parts Removal before proceeding to the installation of the filter (which is simply a matter of sliding the filter into the filter housing), but my experience was the last three or four steps are completely unnecessary. To sum up the procedure, you must remove the
    1. Glove box door
    2. Glove box latch
    3. Glove box frame
    4. Filter cover from the filter housing unit

One Phillips screw driver and 20 minutes of your time is all that's required for you to start breathing that clean filtered air :-) On a quality control note, I noticed that one part of the glove box frame wasn't put in properly; there are 2 tabs that should go behind a panel, but only one tab was behind the panel, the other was in front. No wonder I hear creaks and rattles from the glove box and dash! Also washed the car this morning, just before sunrise. It's my favorite time to wash the car; it's cool and quiet, and I get to spend some quality time with my baby ;-)

quark99 -- glad to hear that Nissan has finally made the Sentra oil filters larger. I've always had reservations about the filters because they were so small. Hopefully the aftermarket will catch up soon.
  • zhzzhz Posts: 29
    Thanks for the information. I might try it, have to order it first.
  • bobcatbobbobcatbob Posts: 187
    Is it possible to have a 2001 Sentra SE (w/ Performance Pkg.) with both ABS and the 6-disc CD changer. The Nissan website says these are not available and a dealer near me is clueless. However, Edmunds says both can be had on the Se....

Help!
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    Getting an SE with ABS is almost impossible. There were a few 2000 SEs around with ABS, but no PP. For 2001, I have seen none with ABS with or without PP. That's probably because the SEs with PP are targeted to younger drivers and the dealers/manufacturers have determined that young people don't care about safety, they just want sunroofs, thus ABS is a rarity.
    Can you order a Sentra with ABS? Anyone have experience with ordering? Is it worth the hassle ?
  • I have a black 2001 SE with PP,A/T,sunroof,and ABS. The 6 disc changer was the only option I skipped because I thought i would like the extra space there. However, after reading the posts I just couldn't pass up those deals on the nissan site and ordered the changer for $126. As far as getting a sentra with ABS you are going to have to wait a long time. In March 2000, I went to a NY area nissan dealer to get a sentra se loaded. I knew they wouldn't have what i wanted and ordered it. I was in no hurry and figured it would take 2-3 months. They told me 2 months. Well, it took about 6 months. I got the car in september and it was a 2001 by that time. The dealers suck and so does nissan's dont care 800 line. They never had an answer for when the car would come in. I hate Nissan and the Dealers, but I love my sentra.If you are willing to wait you might as well try to order an Se-R. You could have it by 2003 if it ever comes out.By the way, I work at a toll bridge in NY and see the car carriers taking cars to nissan dealers on long island and there are still very few sentra se's going that way and most of the ones that i see are gold(no offense to anyone out there) and dont have abs.I dont understand why nissan cant make these loaded se's.I haven't seen any out there but mine and its been almost a year now.
  • kstephankstephan Posts: 41
    I guess I was just really lucky to get an SE 5-speed w/PP and the ABS/side airbags package. I went through the local Autobytel agent at a Nissan dealership in Seattle; I spec'd my wishlist to him on Wednesday, and by Thursday, he'd called to say he found a few examples in black or radium. By Saturday, I was driving off in my ABS-equipped SE. I wonder if going through Autobytel (or something similar) increases your chances over just having a regular Nissan dealer try to find one w/ABS?

Also, it really surprises me that more ABS-equipped SEs aren't available on the East Coast, as the need for ABS is greater there, with the bad winters and all. The Sentras are made in Mexico, which would seem to lend itself to fairly even distribution, but who knows?

Side note: One pet peeve about the Sentra (practically the only; I'm really happy with it)is that the interior plastics, esp. the glovebox,
    scratch incredibly easily. I wish they'd use materials that didn't permanently show every errant fingernail scrape. Plus, my passengers often get into the car with backpacks or purses, and tend to scrape them across the glovebox, so it looks like hell already, after less than 3000 miles. In comparison, my Honda Civic wasn't great in that regard, but the plastic pieces resisted scratches much better than the Nissan does.
  • shera07shera07 Posts: 2
    i'm planning to buy a 2001 sentra se (automatic with side air bags/abs, sunroof, cd changer) very soon and wanted to know if anybody could tell me what they paid for theirs or what they think a good price to bargain for is. thanks.
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    I have a dilema here. I'm trying to choose between these two cars. The price difference on Carsdirect.com is only about $1k(the Pro is cheaper). My quandry is the fact that the Sentra is getting very good press and has 15 more HP. Both seem to be about the same when it comes to maintenance. I've driven both and I found the Pro to be roomy and very tight and the Sentra to be a little smaller inside but it had more kick. Both felt very solid on the road and both were pretty quiet. I will admit the steering on the Pro felt a bit more responsive compared to the Sentra but they both glued to the road pretty well on clover leafs.

I posted this same message in the Protege board to get a competing opinion. Any insite you guys have to help me make this decision would be great!

Thanks.
  • kstephankstephan Posts: 41
    I think a lot of people--myself included--went through the same thing, as the cars are pretty evenly matched. It might come down to which you can make a better deal on, which one has a dealership you prefer, or which one looks better to you. I chose the Sentra SE, partly for the following reasons:

I think if you option the cars identically, the Sentra will be the less expensive of the two. You have to add a lot to the basic Protege ES to bring it up to SE w/PP spec. I'm pretty sure the ES doesn't have limited-slip differential, which the SE w/PP does. That's significant...it makes a noticeable handling difference.

Finally, that 15-hp advantage for the Sentra isn't insignificant. And if you wait for the SE-R, it will *trounce* the Protege MP3, the current hot Mazda sedan.
    I see that you have a toss up between Sentra SE, Protege ES and the Subaru WRX. You know what? In my mind there is no question as to what I would choose if I can afford either of those. The Subaru WRX. The biggest plus being AWD.You just cannot compare the WRX to the Protege or the Sentra. But in any case you cannot spring the cash to get the subie then I would go with the SE w/PP. If you are a performance kind of guy and like manuals then I would get the SE. Sentra SE manual w/PP gets the limited slip differential which itself is worth as much as you pay for the whole package. If you live in the snow belt then I'm sure you will thank the LSD each time you venture into the snow.
    The SR20DE is extremely reliable and also like kstephen said a comparably equipped SE will cost less than the Protege. But in all fairness I have to mention that Mazda currently has good promotions like, 0% financing, free sunroof, S plan and the like. You should test drive both of them and get what you like best.
    But, if I were you I would wait for the Sentra SE-R and the Spec V. For the same price you can get an SE-R over the current SE and there is no Mazda that can compare with the SE-R, the MP3? sorry.
  • gserep1gserep1 Posts: 92
    Hello,
    Whats' going on? I have not heard from you lately. I wrote this nice entry the other day and it got lost way out in cyberspace. Only after I lost the message did I discover how to save them. Too bad for all the messages that I lost.

So when are you going back to Alabama, my friend? Are you trying to soak up all of the "coolness" that you can stand before getting back into the land of "humidity"? Smart man.

I will be venturing up to the Bay Area of San Francisco tomorrow, and I will be back on Monday. I really wished that we could get a chance to meet before you left California.

Keep in touch and let me know if you have a little time to spare and spend with an old friend.

Gotta run now,
    GSEREP1
    At your hotmail address.
    I was at a dealer yesterday and was asking about the new SE-R due out this fall. Has anyone heard pricing yet? the onyl word the delaership gave me was: "Under $20,000."

I am mostly interested in a loaded SE or a loaded SE-R with an auto tranny.

Thanks.