Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• narenjinarenji Posts: 161
    I test drove an Altima 3.5SE, and yes, it does have significant torque steer, but that's to be expected in a FWD vehicle with a large powerful engine up front. The 2.5 in the Altima doesn't exhibit torque steer. My Sentra did have some torque steer, but it wasn't too bad. Torque steer is much more pronounced with the VQ series engines. I also got a I35 loaner when my Protege was getting worked on overnight, and that thing has some torque steer too. Wonderful engines though.
  • I also notice some torque steer, but it is manageable. It may be just me, but I prefer torque with torgue steer than no torque - no steer. 8-). Ideal would be of course torque with no steer, but the world is not ideal 8-(.
  • kstephan,

Yeah, under hard acceleration I get a good deal of torque steer too (SE w/PP, 5-speed). At first it was irritating, almost unsettling, but now I don't mind it. Also, I agree that the back end gets skittish going over bumps, especially in a turn, and that the ride can be pretty harsh with the Sport-tuned suspension, but under most driving conditions I'm pretty happy with how it's set up. I've got 19,800 miles on my SE, and I'm still very happy with it. Planning to keep it for several more years.
  • After months of research on the internet I have finally got my choices down to the Sentra or the Corolla.I like the looks of the Sentra better but I need more info. on long term reliability.Can anyone tell me how many miles they have logged on your older Sentras ? Is 200k miles a possibility for a well kept Sentra?
  • Can't speak to the 200k question, but I'd get the Sentra. The 2002 is the last year of this Corolla, so the car will be old and dated in no time. Plus, I believe the Sentra has more power and a larger interior. I read a 3 way comparo about a year ago with the Sentra vs Corolla vs Civic and the Sentra won--in their opinion. I see 10 year old Sentras on the road every day, so I'm sure it will hold up fine with proper maintenance.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    I'd get the Corolla because:

1. Resale of Corolla much higher
    2. Reliablitly good on Sentra, but better on Corolla - see JD Power and Consumer Reports
    3. Corolla rides better and is quieter inside.
    4. Corolla and Sentra interior are the same size - the smallest of the small sedans.
    5. The only real advantage to the Sentra is it is a little quicker, but one second or so doesn't matter to me. The Corolla is actually pretty peppy, especially with the manual tranny.
    6. Mechanic friend of mine says it's a pain to work on Nissans, but loves Toyotas, and agrees with JD Power and Consumer Reports.

You could wait until the new Corolla comes out in February, and buy it. It will have more interior room than the Sentra, probably the same power as Sentra, so the new Corolla would win on all counts. But, if you want to buy now, I would go with the slightly slower Corolla, because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
    Also, Corolla gets better fuel mileage.
  • which Sentra?
    The Corolla is pretty pricey for what you get. I looked at the corolla (and everything else) and ended up getting the Sentra SE w/PP. I'm not disappointed with my choice, I've put 16,000 miles on it since Febuary and all it's had done were oil changes. It's no Viper, but you can surprise some people who think they'll cut in front of you.
  • Since this is a Sentra topic and I own one, I'm of course inclined to say "forget the Corolla." As noted above, they're pricey compared to the Sentra, a bit long in the tooth in design, plus Toyota tends to go for bland competence in the driving experience, while Nissan is trying to put a little spirit into the Sentra. Plus people who don't like or care about cars tend to buy Corollas. Also, there's so many of them around. You'll see yourself coming and going a little less in the Sentra.

That said, my sister has a late-model Corolla with an automatic--totally the formula for a rental car. But I like the car anyway. It's much smoother and quieter than the Sentra, almost plush in comparison. It feels a lot roomier inside too. The handling and steering are a bit numb compared to the Sentra SE, but it's pleasant enough to drive--less boring than you'd think. For a comfortable, no-fuss car, it's hard not to recommend a Corolla.

So it depends what you want. If you want more performance, try to find a discounted 2001 Sentra SE...a much better deal than any Corolla. But if you want comfort--consider the Toyota first.
  • Thanks narenji, lgoldin, and sentrafan for the comments about the torque steer--I'm relieved to hear it's not a problem unique to my car. As a postscript--I had my 7500-mi service on the car done a few days ago, and the car had its tires rotated for the first time. With the less-worn rear tires on the front, the torque steer is not nearly as bad now. So worn tires do make a difference. I knew the torque steer was not as bad when I first got the car. That's a good reason alone for regular tire rotation.
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    I also did alot of research (months) before deciding on the Corolla (I have a '01 LE) I've had mine for 9 months and it has been flawless - the Sentra would have probably been my second choice - but I chose the Corolla for a couple of reasons: JD Powers survey (#1 compact car/quality) gas mileage, better powertrain warranty, plus I just preferred the looks of the Corolla vs. the Sentra - especially the rear end - having said that, I know of a few people who have owned Nissans and swear by them - same holds true for Toyotas and Hondas - either one would be a good choice IMO
  • Thanks to you mcdawgg and to the others who gave their opinions on the subject.I must admit,I am leaning toward the Corolla because of its proven record of reliability.I don't think it is a particularly attractive car but, it is not ugly either.I would like to see what the 2003 Corolla will look like.Do you know where I can get a sneak look? Also, did you say the 2003 will be out in Feb. of 2002?
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    at the 2003 Corolla? Sure, here's a look: http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/01images/03corolla_peak.jpg Both the Sentra and Corolla are good cars. The current Corolla feels a bit dated though. This is the only picture that I have seen of the North American 2003 Corolla so far. If you are leaning towards the Corolla, I think this new one looks much better...from the front at least. I'd bet that the VVTI 1.8L gets a power bump to 140hp, just like the Celica's base engine.
    This link says the 2003 Corolla will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show Jan. 7, 2002. I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that it'll be larger (especially back seat) and more powerful. Should be a great car!!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/011213-1.htm

• Put a Lexus "L" on the front of that new Corolla, and everyone would believe it. But I wonder if it's attached to a typically hideous Toyota small sedan body, a la the Echo?

Just to be safe, Nissan really needs to rev the Sentra in a couple of years, with a far sleeker body and more interior room.
  • Just sold my 1997 GXE 5 speed. It had 56K on the clock and had been almost completely trouble free, the almost stemming from some silly sensor that caused the car to hate warm starts - fixed under warrantee at 30,000 miles.

The car was every bit as comfortable the day I sold it, as it was the day I bought (new). The only changes I made was pulling the CD player from the wife's 98 200SX and replacing the exremely crappy General tires with a set of Pirelli P400 Tourings, which completely transformed the car.

I will miss that Sentra, and can honestly say it was the best car I've ever owned. With that you may wonder why I sold it. I traded it on a midsize sedan because I got tired of seeing a cheap-looking ugly car every time I went down to my driveway, and here in Los Angeles, we tend to spend a lot of time in our cars, and I wanted more car to spend that time in.

Replacement is a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES with my first-ever automatic transmission for my own car (wife always had ATs). Time will tell if it was a good move, but so far the Galant seems about as well made as the Sentra, which means EXTREMELY.
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    I SUSPECT YOU WILL MISS YOUR 5 SPEED BEFORE TOO LONG.
  • It's hard to miss a 5 speed in Atlanta--I'd be willing to bet you'll miss it less in LA!
  • Does anyone know of a good website to pick-up accessories for a 2002 Sentra. I am looking for a set of mud flaps for my daughters car.

Jerry
  • Anyone here received notification on this recall? How long does the service takes? I haven't received notification on this one, I'll probably just bring my car to the dealer, similar to the 2nd recall (wheels) where I just brought it in without the notice. What do you think about this?

Year of Recall: 2001
    Manufacture: 2001
    Manufactured: FROM 2000JAN TO 2001MAY
    Component: ENGINE
    Summary:
    Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles equipped with a 1.8 liter engine. The engine could stop running while being driven due to a defective crank position sensor. This could also result in the "Service Engine Soon" warning light coming on or reduced engine power.

If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash.

Dealers will replace the crank position sensors. Owner notification is expected to begin during December 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).