Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• The sunroof was a stand-alone option on the 2001 SE, not part of the Performance Package...I think it cost around $600. The other package was the ABS/side airbags package. I was very lucky to get a five-speed with the PP, sunroof, and ABS/airbags...apparently, that's not a common combination.
  • lgoldinlgoldin Posts: 90
    are different in Canada and US. In Canada the ABS, sunroof, spoiler, 16" wheels,180W stereo and LSD are the part of PP. Either you get PP with all of these options or you don't get any. Of course you can go to dealer installed options, but dealer can't install ABS.
  • sksk8rsksk8r Posts: 4
    My sentra only has 106 miles on it and I wanted to take it on a road trip so I called three different Nissan service dept. and asked them about the "break in" period. The response I got was to drive it anyway you want it because the car doesnt need to be broken in. If I got that answer from only one service department then I would question it but three different service departments told me the same thing. Are there any truth to the answers that I received? I own a 2002 sentra.
  • adc100adc100 Posts: 1,521
    In general you should change speeds frequently and work your way up to maximum rpm over the break in period. Do not use cruise control during the break in period. Periodically get off of the gas for a few seconds. This helpe suck more oil into the rings. Obviously no hard accelerations.

Here's another point of view: (find the "break in" topic)

http://www.micapeak.com/TL1000S/faq/index.html#Q4

• When in doubt about ANY topic, do what the book says and you'll be just fine. The service departments may be right, but the book is never wrong!
  • gserep1gserep1 Posts: 92
    Hello Fellow Sentra Owners,
    It is good to be able to get online and see what is new in the world of the Sentra. I used to visit this website EVERY day for a while back in early 2001. I purchased my new Sentra SE during the Memorial Day weekend.

I now have 24,900 miles, mostly from driving back and forth between San Diego and Vallejo California...(about 500 miles each way.) I have had my share of problems, but nothing significant. It took 4 trips to the dealer to get the air conditioning problem fixed. I finally demanded a new compressor, as the original one became very noisy. Cooling was virtually non-existent.

The most annoying problem has been heat shield rattles, and the loss of bolts on the front heat shield. I have had the bolts replaced 3 times. They just vibrate off. I guess it is due to 8 to 9 hours of constant 4000 rpm operation each trip I make.

The car is powerful, but the engine is buzzy above 4000 rpm. It really needs another gear. I hope I don't get that CD problem at the 8 or 9 month mark, which is next month. I use my CD EVERY day while driving. Wished I had a cassette deck too, but why complain?

Everything else about the car is good. The tires are wearing very well..(I keep them properly inflated) I get excessive torque steer only when one front tire is a bit lower in air pressure than the other.

The 2002 SE-R and Spec V's take a little getting used to though. I don't like the new front end as much, and I don't like the fact that the accelerator has no cable linkage between the pedal and the throttle body on the engine. It is the new "drive-by-wire" arrangement. The throttle is opened by an electronic "actuator" and the accelerator has a variable resistor that moves as you press the accelerator. I hope that doesn't go out while driving. It is spring loaded to the "off" position, and will not run away, but if it goes out, it will not speed up to get out of traffic.

I have been out of the country in Penang Malaysia for a few months. I got to see the foreign version of the Sentra, complete with steering wheel on the right side, and everything. It is on a larger body than the one we have. Once I find out how to put the pictures I took with my camera, I will post them, and everyone can see them.

Well, I have been on long enough.My car will get another rest when I return to malaysia in March for about a month.

Take care and thanks again!
    GSEREP1
    2500 rpm gives you 60 mpg.
    Hello Again,
    Yes I feel that another gear in the 2001 Sentra SE would help tremendously. The engine is real buzzy around 3500 to 4000 rpm, and a sixth gear would lower the rpms significantly.

I am not worried about engine wear, but at higher rpm, the engine develops a resonance, or a point where everything seems to be vibrating in unison, so to speak. That is when the little heat shield bolts start backing out. I do not want to use "lock-tite" or another similar chemical on the manifold. I have already had 1 heat shield replaced due to cracking around those bolts. It may need to be replaced again soon.

It is good to be back on the forum. I hope some of my old friends remember me, and start posting comments again.
    Thanks,
    GSEREP1
    and say 3000 rpm 2L engine just may not have the torque. How often can you drive 85 mph? Oh well its a dead issue anyway-SE's gone.
    ADC100,
    I will agree that the 2001 SE's are not the "IN" car anymore since the arrival of the SE-R and the SPEC V, but I can assure you that the Sentra SE 2.0L engine can comfortably run 85 miles per hour all day. I live in California, and Interstate 5 is my playground. It has been for nearly 30 years. I don't consider myself a "speed demon", but running the speed limit of 70 mph in certain stretchs of that road can be dangerous. Even the big trucks will run over you out there.

My Sentra does all I want it to do and then some. It has more horsepower than any other 4 cylinder in it's class in 2001. Pound for pound, this car literally whips up on other cars in it's class like the Toyota Corolla, and Honda Civic, AND the Mazda Protege. If my Sentra does not have enough power to run 85, then NEITHER do any of the cars I just mentioned. I make no excuses for my car. It will be with me for a long time to come.

NOW we can say this is a dead issue! I have made my point.

GSEREP1
    Is adding a 6th gear would mean the engine would be running about 3K rpm th 85. I'm just not sure the engine can comfortably pull 85 mph at 3000 rpm without "lugging". 85 mph takes some serious HP and the SE is drag limited at about 118 mph (runs out of HP). Obviously the SR20DE engine is one of the strongest and finest 4 bangers ever made.
  • not once you reach a cruising speed, then it's more about the gearing. I think he's looking for a tall gear that's a true overdrive. I have a similar complaint about my 5 speed turbo jetta as it's really buzzy at freeway cruising speeds (80-90 mph).
    Hello again,
    I meant no disrespect either. I believe that with a 6th gear, the engine produces enough GRUNT to cruise comfortably. That engine makes 136 ft lbs of torque. That torque is NOT at high rpm, but rather, down low where you need it. It is TORQUE, not horsepower that gets you down the road when it is rolling. I will NOT venture to tell you just HOW much over 115-118 mph that car will go with a 5 speed...suffice to say, it will go faster. I mean on long, straight stretches late at night when no one is around to run into. I can validate that one.

Obviously, I do not run it that hard all the time because gas mileage suffers, it vibrates pretty hard, and it beats the living crap out of the oil. The engine makes a lot of heat at that speed. The car does pose a significant resistance to the wind. It is not lowered to the ground...just stock. Wind noise is considerable at high speeds.

The old SR20DE engine is great just the way it is. Just a bit noisy and buzzy (as most 4 cylnders are apt to be). Honda is a notable exception.

I just know that it is a very capable engine that in my opinion could use a true overdrive gear ratio. NUFF SAID!

Respectfully,
    GSEREP1
    No disrespect, but your research mised the fact that engine was new for 2000-correct me if I'm wrong. Thats why I went with the SE.
  • Does anyone know if there are any changes on the 2002 sentra gxe compared to the 2001 model. The body looks exactly the same to me.
  • zhzzhz Posts: 29
    The Cruise Control is NOT standard on 2002 GXE anymore. And hopefully less bugs.
  • Anyone know any websites where leftovers from '01 can be found? Other than checking used places?
  • Hi all....ok I need a little advise here. I purchased a K&N Air Filter for my 2001 Nissan Sentra SE. I had a difficult time opening the air box to install the filter and was concerned I might damage the electrical cable connected to the air box hose so I disconnected it. I replaced the original filter with the K&N, however I was an idiot and neglected to reconnect the air box electrical connector before I started the car. I received a Service Engine Soon warning light when I started the vehicle and decided to turn off the vehicle to double check what I did. That's when I noticed the electrical connector disconnected and reconnected it. The vehicle seems to be operating with no trouble at all, however the Service Engine Soon light remains on and I'm hoping I haven't damaged anything. I understand that the steady light indicates a possible problem with the emmisions system, but it would be obvious this light would turn on if the vehicle suspected a problem with the electrical contact to the air box. Of course, I could take the vehicle in to get a diagnostic which more then likely would determine nothing is wrong and reset the light for a fee I don't want to pay. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks...
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    Hi all

I'm looking at a few different cars, mainly the Sentra, Protegé, and Civic. I'm hoping to get some honest opinions on the pros and cons car, I know that no car for this price is perfect, the questions is if it's right for me. Comfort and quality are my cheif concerns, but I'm also a bit of an agressive driver. Has anyone had any problems with dealers, mechanics, or general quality? Does anyone regret their purchase?
  • Aren't you still covered by your warranty? Just take it to the dealer and have them check it out under warranty.