Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• I have an old Nissan Sentra 1.6 XE/SE 2dr. The Sun Visor on driver side is damaged.
    I have checked on internet and could not find a seller.
    Does anyone know where I can buy one (either used or new)?

Thank you very much in advance!

Peter
  • How can I prepare my 1997 Sentra for its first New Jersey winter? We just moved here, and I don't know what I need to be most concerned with. Do people still buy snow tires? What parts are most affected by cold weather? I know I'm late in the game, but would welcome any insights. How does this car do in winter conditions? I'm honestly worried about driving it. I've never driven in winter weather, and this car has about as much power as a go-kart.
  • rennie4rennie4 Posts: 52
    having as much power as a go-kart is a very good thing while driving in snow. Driving the sentra in the winter should not be trouble if you take it easy.
  • which years were recalled ?? I just had my car towed because it wasnt starting and the mechanic is saying its due to a computer failure and I have to replace it. I never got any information on any recalls..
  • hey, my 02 sentra had the exact same problem. it started dying on the highway and on the street and finally wouldn't start. i had a mechanic look at it and he charged me $500 for a mass-air flow sensor and the problem didn't go away. it turns out, the car totally needs to be taken to a dealer. it is a problem with the lining around the computer and a cam sensor in the engine. both were recalls (don't fret, i didn't receive any word either) and nissan fixed them both totally for free and the car has run perfect since (the warranty period was up and they still fixed them for free). i had a great experience with the dealer, surprisingly enough. they will help you. even if you were to just call them they should know exactly what is wrong and help you.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Winters in NJ are normally not too bad. The northern part near the mountains is worst then the shore area. there has been the occasional bad winter with 60+ inches of snow but normally only get a few storms a year (20 inches). hardly worth it to get dedicated snow tires. Just make sure you have good tread on your tires.

I would invest in winter wiper blades and the winter blend of washer fluid. You may also want to get "Dry Gas". Although water in the gas tank is a thing of the past, I do pour an occasional bottle into the tank during winter months. Keep a blanket, jumper cable, collapsible shovel and brush in the trunk.

Generally speaking, nobody drives well in the snow so if they are calling for a big storm, stay home if you can.
  • tquintquin Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the codes for the ECU and the 02 sensor are the same? I just had my 02 sensor replaced and now the dealership is telling me that the ECU needs to be replaced and keep in mind that i just had the sensor replaced just 3 days before they gave me the ECU diagnosis. Also, they are charging me for everything which in total will be $1310.
  • rasldaslrasldasl Posts: 74
    My new Sentra has a developed a nearly contstant rattle in the passenger side B pillar on rough roads and bumps (which constitutes nearly all roads here in New Jersey). The driver's side is starting to rattle a bit, too. The mechanic at the dealer looked at it and said he pulled off the cover of the seat belt adjuster (not sure exactly which piece he meant) and did not find anything loose. We went on a test drive and while it rattled a bit over hard bumps it was pretty quiet and I thought maybe he had fixed it just by removing and replacing whatever cover it was. Then I drove home and on the way it started back with it's old tricks, rattling over every joint in the concrete pavement. Anybody out there have any ideas?
  • The "ECU" is the electronic Control Unit,(the computer.) The 02 sensor is the "Oxygen sensor", which is located on the exhaust manifold. The ECU is located at one of several locations inside your car, like under the dash, under one of the front seats, or under the floor shift console. You didn't give a year and model, so I had to generalize.

...Bob...
  • dado3dado3 Posts: 1
    I'd like some help in troubleshooting a problem with the cruise control on my car. It's a 1994 Sentra XE 1.6 liter, with 200k. The switch responds, but the cruise doesn't activate from the steering wheel. I checked the fuse panel and everything seems alright, but don't know where else to go.
  • shawnakrshawnakr Posts: 1
    OK, I have owned my 01 Sentra since 2003 (bought it second hand in perfect condition). I have been fortunate enough not to have any major issues with the vehicle, except for the brakes sticking after I parked it for 4 months, and the damn plastic tip of the dipstick broke off, Murphy's Law - I was just heading out for vacation.

I have taken such good care of this car, always to the dealership, always on time (well, maybe a few exceptions). I took my car in this morning because it was jolting and then the engine light came on. I was told that it was a blown head gasket - a minimum $1000 to fix. Here's the catch, my car only has 76,000km and has never overheated (which they said was the cause). I consulted outside Nissan and every single mechanic I spoke with was astounded.

I have phoned Nissan Canada, and they said that my car is too far past warranty to cover it.

Has anyone had ANY luck with the corporate side in them paying for problems outside of warranty? And has anyone encountered such a problem?

Please help!!
  • thitinunthitinun Posts: 2
    Dear sir,
    Sorry to bother you. I have the same problem like you with the sentra 2004. I wonder if you could give me a brief instruction how to remove the radio, I would appreciate very much.

Sincerely
    thitinun
  • nitro2nitro2 Posts: 3
    I installed a cold air intake on a 04 1.8 sentra. it ran great for a day then as i was getting on the highway and was hard on the gas the car felt like it stalled. I pulled over and it was idling ruff. and when i hit the gas the rpm go to a certain spot and then it starts to choke out and almost stalls. Were do i start and what do i do. Acts like there is a rev limiter on the motor now! :confuse:
  • thitinunthitinun Posts: 2
    Dear sir,
    I wonder if not too much trouble, I would like to know the instruction how to remove the radio from the Nissan sentra 2004. I have the same problem.

Thank you in advance for you kindness.
    thitinun
  • james31278james31278 Posts: 78
    It sounds like its running too rich or too lean.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    Hi, all...

Anyone out there know of a website with the 4-1-1 on the 2008 versions of the Sentra?

I'm very much interested in learning what Nissan has in store for this machine in terms of features and improvements, if any.

Please inform...

Many thanx!

Peace<- :shades: --
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    What's involved with the cold air intake? Does it require a different air filter?
  • gxe2001gxe2001 Posts: 1
    Shutts, I have the both the problems described here

Fan speeds: only very high speed works :: How did you resolve this ?
    My mechanic says part alone would cost $400, He tried changing the knob and that didnt help.

Windows wont go up :: not consulted mechanic yet, First it happened to front passenger window and now driver side is gone too :(
  • lgoldinlgoldin Posts: 90
    hi gxe

Only high speed fan working usually means that the speed limiting resistor is blown. It is located at the very corner of the front passenger compartment. You'd need to go under the glove box and find a large bolt head. Unscrew it and extract large PCB. One of traces will be burned. I just put a solder across it and it works already for 2 years. So, it did not cost me $400. May be $.10 for solder itself

As for windows I'd recommend to lubricate mechanism in the doors and put special silicon around the rubber to prevent sticking and friction
  • maegen216maegen216 Posts: 1
    I am in a similar boat and went on line and saw they have these kits that are $80 that are supposed to fix the problem. Have you heard of them? I have a 91 Nissan Sentra and it did overheat and now there is water in the oil. The guy said it was probably a blown head gasket. Have you had any luck yet?
  • I have a 1996 Sentra GXE with 130,000 miles on it. Lately, there is a gas smell that comes through the A/C vents when the A/C is running; this only lasts for a minute, then goes away. It doesn't happen all the time, either, just every once in a while. Does anybody know if this is something serious, or what it could be? I looked under the hood and didn't see any leaks in oil or gas, but I'm not a mechanic and so may have overlooked something.

Also, the #2 level on the A/C no longer works; I think there may be a short in the dial, but doubt this is connected to the gas smell. #1, #3, and #4 work fine.

It seems as though once I hit 100,000 miles, every few months I'm having to fix/replace something in this car. Nothing major with the engine so far, though, but just this past year have replaced the alternator, battery, fuel filter, brakes, and right CV boot (this makes twice in the past three years on the CV boot). It's been dependable, but feels like a ticking bomb waiting to go off -- I'm hoping this gas smell is not that.

I don't want to put much more into this car, but I'm hoping it will last another few years. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
    Cruise standard on 2008 sentra 2.0S. Now we don't have to purchase the convenience package.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    It's been dependable, but feels like a ticking bomb waiting to go off -- I'm hoping this gas smell is not that.

I don't want to put much more into this car, but I'm hoping it will last another few years. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

you have a entry level car (versa wasn't out then) thats 11 yrs old, with 130k miles on it. anything could go wrong.

as for advice, look at it this way. you pretty much have two options.
    1. buy a new car. you won't have any problems, it should run perfect, and if there is a problem, it will get fixed free. the downsid, you'll have a 3-4 hundred payment, higher insurance, and higher taxes. If your state has them

2. Stick with what you have, and be resigned to occasional repair bills (the engine should last 200-250k). The advantage is, No car payment, lower insurance, and lower taxable value.
  • Hi, Guys
    I just bought the car yesterday. Everything seems good until now. The only problem is that there is no ABS(anti-locked brake system) in my car. Do I need to install the ABS for further safety? Could somebody tell the cost?

Thanks
    to install ABS would be extremly expensive. Personaly, I think ABS are over rated. The funny thing about them, even though they do prevent your wheels from locking when applying maximum force to the brakes, and in theory should make your car safer, almost every study done by NTSB and others has shown no decrease in accident rates for abs equipped vehicles. To me, abs is something that if available as an option I'll get it, but if its not, I wouldn't sweat it.
    My dad has been driving his car for more than a year and he did not know that his car did not have ABS. He assumed that it did and he doesnt have a problem with stopping his car. He even drove through the upstate NY snowstorms without noticing. (2006 altima non abs)
    Most people don't realize, abs is a passive thing, it's not always on. the only time your abs activates si when the wheeles are about to lock up. you could drive a vehicle 20 years and never have the ABS kick in.
  • Can you people please share with me your experience with 1999 Nissan Sentra GXE edition, if anyone of you have any ?

I am getting the deal for 1999 make sentra - 4 cylinder - 127k miles - Automatoic transmission for $2600, how good is the price for this much old car ? Will you be kind enough to tell me that should I go for the car with this price.

Look forward to your replies, Thanks.

Hiren
  • skinny3skinny3 Posts: 4
    I was just wandering if anyone here has had any electrical problems out of their Sentra.

My cousin bought an '06 Sentra SE-R SpecV last Dec. and wants nothing more than to wrap it around a tree. It has cut off for absolutely no reason on several occasions. On one such occasion, I was riding with him on our way home when I experienced this first-hand. We were coming up to a light in medium traffic and the car shut off as he started to slow down. To avoid totalling the car and sandwiching a Ford, he decided to go up on the median. In so doing, making the car come to a grinding halt while passing four cars.

When he took it to the dealership that he bought it from, they told him that they have no idea what could have caused the car to shut off because they could not find anything wrong with it.

I was just wondering if this kind of thing has happened to anyone else or if this car just has a death wish.

That's not the only problem, that's just the major, life threatening problem. Other problems include car not wanting or willing to start and the emergency brakes locking up when the car is off (I'm thinking that has something to do with the brake fluid but still). It's as if the car just never wants to move, and if its forced to do so, then its on a suicide mission. And the mechanics are adamant in the fact that there is nothing wrong with the car.
  • jrk301jrk301 Posts: 4
    I have owned a 2003 Sentra SE-R, automatic transmission for about a year now. It has about 21,000 miles and has ran well for me ever since I purchased the car. Recently, after driving about 20 miles on a warm day, I stopped at a traffic signal, and after a good while, when the signal turned green, I went to go accelerate to continue on down the road, and the car 'locked up'... the brake pedal was not depressed and would not depress when I put my foot on it... the car would also not go forward when I stepped on the gas. All the warning lights came on, and my brake warning light also came on. I coasted the car to the nearest parking lot, a few feet away, and turned off the ignition. After a few seconds, when I started the car again, it started okay. Has anyone heard of something like this happening before?

Thanks,

Joe
    Butler, PA