Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• malibu_jackmalibu_jack Posts: 75
    Well...The service manager came through. I re-booked an appoinment and they treated me like gold this time around. The service manager told me he would inspect the car himself and give me another estimate on the brakes. Well as it turns out, the rotors were fine, and all I needed were new pads. He had the rotors machined, cleaned the rear brakes, adjusted and put the new pads up front, at the cost of the front pads only! No labour!

Heck, they even put me in a rental for the day at their cost....didn't have to pay a cent for it! This to me is quite unheard of from Nissan since I have had nothing but trouble with service since day one with my 01 sentra. It has brought back confidence in the brand.

BTW, I saw the new 04's in the dealership and I can't say I really like the new grill treatment. Something looks wrong with the grey buck tooth. I mean, it looks great on the new Maxi, but it looks like it was a last minute decision for the Sentra.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Will pick up our Molten Silver GXE tomorrow, as they are putting on the pinstripe, door edge guards, and the wheel well moldings right about now. They got me a car with splash guards and some kind of pollen filter. Terry seems to think we got a good price, let's hope all is well!
    We are now a 2 car Nissan family as the wife drives a '01 Altima GXE Ltd. Ed. and still loves it.

The Sandman :-)
  • pghboypghboy Posts: 1
    My 02 Nissan Sentra is the worst car I have ever owned. It's loud, I feel like I'm going to blow off the road when it's windy, uncomfortable even for short trips and last but not least NO POWER. I hate this car and would run it off a cliff if I could. I would NEVER recommend this car to anyone and this has definitely soured me on Nissan complely. But I'm not bitter.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Compared to what? Supra Turbos? Check the numbers in any car magazine- the 126 hp engine in the Sentra delivers excellent fuel economy and acceleration that compares well with the rest of the small car world.

I have never felt like I would blow off the road in my Sentra, but then again, I used to drive a Civic that was much lighter. I also dont think this car is loud.

What was your previous car? Did you not test drive the vehicle before purchase? Did you expect a smaller Maxima? Why did you choose this car in the first place?

I'd feel alot differently about your post if you hated the car due to mechanical failures, it being a "lemon", something like that. That is unacceptable (though inevitable for all makes) and would definitely sour me on the make. That is not the case though. Its your fault you purchased this vehicle, and nobody else's.

~alpha
    I ahve 2 questions for ya.
    (1) Did your gas mileage improve as you racked up the miles on your car. I only have 102 miles and the tank reads a little above 1/2 a tank. I was told that this mileage should improve up till about 5000 miles as by then, the engine is at its peak.
    (2) I noticed in the 2 center air vents, the 1 for the passenger blows a stronger air stream then the 1 closer to me. The service guy came out and took off the center tray and explained that the blower motor is on the right side, thus the stronger air flow. Does this sound feasable to you. They have already documented this in the computer for me just in case a problem arises at a later date. They said it was normal.
    Any thoughts? So far though, the car feels nice and tight but I plan to baby it for the first 500 or so miles.

(1)Averaged only about 24MPG in a 50/50 mix for the first several tank fulls. After about 2000 miles, I have been averaging about 27MPG doing the same routine, and my best observed has been just under 31 MPG.

(2)I have not noticed that, but it certainly sounds feasible to me. On a much broader scale, if you have central air in your dwelling, think of the vents- mine dont blow with the same gusto, ones furthest suffering most.

Happy Motoring,
    ~alpha
  • lgoldinlgoldin Posts: 90
    Wow. I can never get better than 25 in my 2001 SE. It is mixed city/hwy driving and I drive hard. But still, 2.5L is better in gas mileage than 2.0L. Alpha, what is your driving style?
    unless I have friends who I'm trying to impress with me in the car :) Honestly though, in a car that weighs what? 2750 lbs? it only takes a light tap on the gas to get to speed reasonably quickly. One thing I have noticed, that I dont like- the A/C takes a distinct toll on acceleration.

I drive almost exclusively highways, but often there is heavy stop and go traffic. However, I've massaged my communting times to/from work, and I'd say a fair estimate is 35/65 city/highway.

~alpha
  • gotbgotb Posts: 39
    I bought a 2003 Sentra 2.5 LE about one month ago and insured it with GEICO. I used their web site to get a quote and when I typed my car's VIN, it showed as Sentra SE-R... I called GEICO and the rep said 2.5 LE has the same premium rate as SE-R and SE-R Spec V because they have the same engine and performance... Does this make sense? I paid $605 for 6 months... I'm a single 23 yrs old male and never had a car before. The Sentra 2.5 LE is great and I haven't found anything to dislike yet.
  • giant56giant56 Posts: 9
    I owned a 98 Maxima SE and my policy vehicle description would show as: 98 Nissan Maxima GLE/GXE/SE because the share the same engine. So the Geico rep. was correct in telling you this. My wife and I also enjoy our 2.5 LE. Went on a 600+ road trip and the car was better than what I expected.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    hi there,
    I'm trying to find a way to increase my '98 Sentra 1.6's power. Is there any turbo kit available for this model, or at least some other ways to increase the power? And how much is the estimate cost? thanx
    I just saw the picture on Edmunds of the '04 Sentra, they are now calling the GXE the 1.8S. I personally don't like the front facia or the rear tail lights and do prefer the ones on my recently purchased '03 model. This is just my personal opinion.
    So far, the only 2 things I'm not impressed with are the air conditioning and the low mpg's I am getting. The service advisor said the a/c is blowing as strong as it can on all 4 speeds and I'll just have to live with it. They also said the mileage should improve as the engine gets worked in, maybe until about 2500 miles, hope they're right.
    Other than that, we all love the car, it fits our needs to a tee! We also all love the Molten Silver color!

• lgoldinlgoldin Posts: 90
    I saw new Sentra at dealership yesterday and actually like it better than old ones. To me the new one look a bit more aggressive. But it is definitely personal view.
    Gas mileage indeed improves after break in. I noticed that after first oil change the mileage is more or less stable.
  • carscoutcarscout Posts: 11
    Im thinking about buying either the 2003 spec-v or 2004 spec-v are there any problems I should know about with these cars? I cant find any good road test reviews on them. Is the engine reliable? Does it need tune ups often? And especially with the exhaust system?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    "the Sentra should be completely redesigned for the 2005 model year, based on its history of 5 year term redesigns. the current model was introduced for the 2000 MY."

"Should" is right, but reality is that the 2004 has new updates and there is no word on any "redesigned" 2005 Sentra. Why would they restyle a car to run only 1 year? Thus, it looks like the current Sentra will be sold for 2005 and be a 6 year car.

Looks like the Asians, supposedly known for frequent "all new" cars, are doing what the Big 3 are criticized for, stretching car model runs.
    You say there is no word on the redesigned Sentra yet, but this is common among the Japanese automakers (though admittedly, less so for Nissan). When both the Camry and Accord received their most recent redesigns, the automakers were mum on details and spy shots showed up only a few months prior to initial release. You may argue that there is no word on a redesigned 2005 Sentra, but there is also no word AGAINST its likelihood. The updates on the 2004 are nothing more than a different front and rear fascia and minor trim and equipment changes. I dont see that as real evidence that a complete redesign is being postponed. Nissan is making a major move in the market, and the Sentra has been a mainstay of its line for years, but the 2004 car is already 5 model years old, and not as roomy or stylish as new entrants, even though it has many strong points. It is being killed by the Corolla and Civic and if Nissan is to maintain its vehicles and image, I'd imagine that it would be beneficial not to let the Sentra continue on into a 6th model year.

~alpha
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    The "new" 2003 Accord and 2002 Camry were well known and anticipated up prior to their release. Even the 2002 Altima and 2004 Maxima had a prior announcements.

If there is a 2005 Sentra, they would have said so. It would have to be ready for the 2004 Auto shows, which are 6-8 months away. The auto Press would be all over it by now.

If one can get solid proof, like a press release, that there will be an "all new" 2005 Sentra, then I will believe it. Till then, it's all speculation.
    "The "new" 2003 Accord and 2002 Camry were well known and anticipated up prior to their release."

Yes. Everyone knew they would be redesigned. BUT they didnt appear at auto shows, and there was very little info about them up until, say 2-3 months prior to their arrival. If there is a 2005 Sentra, they would have said so.

I don't agree with your statement "It would have to be ready for the 2004 Auto shows, which are 6-8 months away. The auto Press would be all over it by now." Like I said, the Accord and Camry were not debuted at auto shows, and if you look at the 2000 Sentra which was actually introduced around January of that same year, it was not introed at auto shows, either, from what I remember.

And you are right. For now, with respect to the Sentra, it is all speculation-including your assertion that this model will soldier on for 6 model years, not 5.

~alpha
    "The "new" 2003 Accord and 2002 Camry were well known and anticipated up prior to their release."

Yes. Everyone knew they would be redesigned. BUT they didnt appear at auto shows, and there was very little info about them up until, say 2-3 months prior to their arrival.

I don't agree with your statement "It would have to be ready for the 2004 Auto shows, which are 6-8 months away. The auto Press would be all over it by now." Like I said, the Accord and Camry were not debuted at auto shows, and if you look at the 2000 Sentra which was actually introduced around January of that same year, it was not introed at auto shows, either, from what I remember.

And you are right. For now, with respect to the Sentra, it is all speculation-including your assertion that this model will soldier on for 6 model years, not 5.

~alpha
  • louie_jlouie_j Posts: 11
    I have a 2003 GXE (1.8L, 5-speed) with 20K miles on it. The car has been flawless since the day I bought it a litle over a year ago. About a week ago, the weirdest thing happened.

I'm sitting at a traffic light, the light turns green and I start to accelerate. When I put the clutch in to shift into second gear the engine basically turns itself off, as if I turned it off with the key. No stumble, just off. While still rolling I try to restart the engine. It won't fire. I coast to the side of the road and try again. Nothing.

I get out and check under the hood looking for loose connections or anything obvious. I check the fuses and relays under the hood. Can't find anything wrong. Get back in the car and try again. It fires right up, no problem. So there I am thinking "what the hell!!".

I have no clue what the problem was. It hasn't done it again, but I'm just wondering if it's the sign of something to come.