Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• I would take it to the dealer and have them run a diagnositics on it. it could have been a computer glitch. Better to catch it early than later when say in the middle of nowhere.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    If Nissan does do an all new 2005 Sentra, I'd expect it to be late in the fall of 2004, like the Mazda 6's intro date.

Some recent Asian cars that went over the "5 year cycle". The pre RSX Integra and the 1994-1999 Celica. Some were called a "new generation" because of reskins, like the 2002 Maxima, the 98 Corolla, and the 1998 Mazda 626
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I would still call those redesigns. New engines, new interiors, completely different exteriors... thats more than just a reskin.

I would agree though, on a late fall 2004 date as a possibility for an 05 Sentra....

~alpha
    The 98 Corolla was pretty much the same as before, not all that different. But enough to say "new".
  • I have a 2001 Sentra GXE. No matter where I take my car for an oil change, the car always smells of burning oil for at least two weeks after. the smell is enough to make me sick. Does anyone else ever experience this? Are these places simply dumping oil all over the manifold or something?
    If they are sloppy, yes, I can smell oil also for 1-2 days. But usually no more than that.
  • ougyaougya Posts: 2
    I recently noticed a strang thing on my 95 Nissan Sentra and was confused by it. When I start my car in the evening, before I turn on the head light, the display board shows fine (I mean every instrument in the display board are bright to see). But once I turn on the light, the display board is dim and I hardly see any numbers from instruments. However, the head light is as bright as normal. Anyone knows what's wrong?
  • This might sound silly, but did you check you dashboard illumination knob? If its turned down, as soon as you turn on the headlights, it may appear dim.
  • Happened to me the first time I changed my oil but I saw what caused it and no problem since. The oil filter is directly above the exhaust system and when the filter is removed oil drains onto the piping. Instant oil burning smell for a couple of days. Now before I remove the filter I take a piece of aluminum foil and put it over the exhaust and it keeps the piping clean. The oil gets on the foil, throw away the foil and no mo smell. If you have the oil changed by one of the fast lube places you may have to bring them the foil.

Good luck.
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Posts: 66
    I read that that the Sentra redesign is scheduled for the 2006 model since both Nissan and Renault are sharing key components for their respective models. If the Sentra turns out looking anything like what's in Renaults line up...I think we'd all be very happy.

I'm looking at buying a gift for my father-in-law. A 2004 Sentra 1.8 with automatic. Total MSRP is $16,598CAN and $17,466CAN with destination and delivery. Any suggestions what we can take the dealer down to...we're going to buy the car either in Victoria or Vancouver
  • rxurxu Posts: 5
    Anyone can give me a hint where the fuel filter is? It's a 2002 Sentra with a 1.8 engine. Thanks!
  • lgoldinlgoldin Posts: 90
    My 2001 Sentra SE is rated at 32 mpg on highway. Till yesterday could not get any better than 28mpg. But I was always driving with an average speed of 85mph with a lot of fast accelerations and fun. Yesterday I took a trip with 3 hours one way. Highway was empty and there was a high chance of meeting a cruiser, so I set my cruise control to 75mph both ways with AC turned OFF. I was absolutely astonished by the gas consumption of this trip. It returned 36mpg!!! I was really surprised. I would expect a difference, but not that much. I am just wondering if 75mph is a sweet spot or the engine is loosened so well. Did anybody experienced this?
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    With 2005 miles on the odo, some new problems cropped up today. There is a leak in the front passengers wheel well under the dash. It's probaly from the a/c and has been leaking there for about a week now, but really leaking today. Hopefully the hose is pinched or is clogged. Also, the rear door drivers side pull came off in my daughters hand as she closed the door this afternoon, the whole unit popped out. Will bring car in this week to address these 2 problems.
    Also, the gas mileage is still not that great, but with just over 2k miles, the engine is not fully worked in yet.
    Ah, the joys of new car ownership, thank G-d I have this next week off!!

The Sandman :-((
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Maybe you should have listened to the glowing reports of my Lancer? hehehe :) j/k

But seriously, hope this is the last of your problems. What kind of mileage are you getting and under what conditions? Unfortunately, it seems most "economy" cars are no longer getting good mileage. All in the name of power I guess. I have always preferred four cylinders for their added efficiency, but bought my first V6 a few months ago. I doubt I will ever go back now. The small gains in fuel economy aren't worth the lack of power and refinement.
    Only getting about 23.5 miles in all city driving, service advisor assurred me this would change after 1st oil change and about 5k miles on the odo. Is this a feasible answer?
    Wish the Lancer had 15" wheels and a bit nicer dash. The brakes are really great on the Sentra also.

The Sandman :-)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    My 03 2.5LE gas mileage comparitively went through the roof after my first oil change at 3750 miles, so judging by my experience, you can take the service advisor's word as truth. Apparently, they use a special break-in oil out of the factory, though I'm not really sure how that relates to fuel economy (?) but thats what I was told. This was also the reason I was told NOT to change my oil any sooner than the owners manual recommendation.

I'm sorry to hear of your two problems with your Sentra, but I'm sure they'll be easily remedied.

~alpha
  • 1. Tires.
    Also look at the Bridgestone RE730 tires. They're the next generation replacement for the RE71 tires, and I've driven them both.

The RE71 is fun, grippy, and cheap but good low-profile tires, but the RE730 ups the RE71 in three respects - 1. better wet grip, 2. stellar treadwear of 300., 3. quieter than the RE71 -- all w/o losing the grip or performance of the RE71 tires.

I'm very happy with my 205R50/15's on my older 93' Sentra.

tirerack has user ratings for the RE71 and the Yoko's and they're similar in performance and so forth.

2. The rest of the G20 body is boring, but at least it has an attractive toosh. Can't say much for the new Sentra design, which obviously doesn't strike any love accord with me from any angle.

3. Test drove a third SE w/perf. package and I can say that along with the other two reviews I posted earlier, the 2K Sentra SE just isn't 'tight' enough to be worth it for me to upgrade from my '93.

I think I've narrowed some of the mushiness down to a few things.
    a. soft suspension. Yep, even with the perf. pack., it's just feels soft and mushy around corners. vague steering and feedback contributes (maybe the non-low profile tires, too).
    b. Higher seating than the '93. As a result, w/o lengthening the wheelbase significanlty over the '93' model, you get sort of a floaty feel that emphasizes the bounciness of the suspension more. side to side squishiness is felt more as well.
    c. It's just not a SE-R! ;) Maybe they'll have a 180HP later next year with improved suspension, but their latest tack to go cheap and sell to the basic means they've taken some steps that reduce the 'fun' of the SE model.

In any case, it doens't feel as good whipping the SE around traffic or corners as does my '93 on 205R50/15's. Something unsure about the feedback, and I'm not wanting to do 360's by accident on the new SEs.

As for acceleration, I could fall asleep. The tiny engine really doesn't do justice in this heavier body, and 8.0+ sec. 0-60 times (as tested by the major mags.) really isn't anything to run home about. A V-6 Camry or Accord will easily follow you to the next light w/o huffing much, maybe even beating you (a family car even!) ;)=

Baby needs a suspension upgrade and NOS/turbo!

However, I would strongly suggest all buyers get the SE model for the bigger engine and not the wimpy base engine -- you'll need every bit of HP you can get and the wimpy engine will make you want to craw under rocks when merging onto freeways. Don't be dumb and try to save some extra $$ on this point - it isn't worth it at all.

----

Anyways, along with the other notable mistakes I've noted before, that's it for the SE model. Out of the competition and I'll be looking for something faster and more stable at high speeds in my next vroom.vroom. (At least a Toyota Celica or something with a bigger engine...)

Lacking points noted earlier:
    1. Cupholders still can't hold a double big gulp, and the silly removable insert to switch between big and small cups is silly vs. the all-in-one design of the past two generations of Sentras. Cost cutting here. Just where are you gonna put the insert you've removed for the bigger cups? iN your lap? in the silly popup box in the dash that's too tiny? At least they put some rubber pad in the empty compartment slot under the radio & AC to prevent things from sliding out -- but that's another dumb-fix, too - how about angling the entire slot downwards a bit so that things never slide out even without a pad?
    2. cheap plastic feel to the knobs, esp. air and radio. like they'll break or something. not as smooth as in prior years.
    3. Don't see the dual antennas of the 93' body year for the radio. back to one antenna and poorer reception. cheaper and cheaper...
    4. No trunk light. Eh? how can they -take out- a feature found in my 93' sentra?!? that's two features they've removed!
    5. Stupid migration of the trunk release to the front dash. you spend a few minutes looking down there for it, then realize they've moved it. then spend a couple more sessions later trying to find the trunk release over and over again until you pick it up. Stick the release down there Nissan ! where we 'expect' it to be next to the gas tank. No reason they should have moved this latch at all.
    6. Stage II perf. pckag. that isn't. You will still have to replace the wheels and shocks with better to get away from the floatiness even an import tuner mag said they found with the latest Sentra SE. While upper limit performance may be as good or better, the Corolla has somewhat more feedback in the suspension than the floaty Sentra, IMO.
    7. Dumb change to the remote window operation. Now it is a pad on a stick rather than a stick, making it more difficult to adjust. Copy Nissan, copy!! Look at how Honda did their pad. Harder to adjust and use than in models before.
    8. Two buttons on the cruise, one for cruise on, another for cruise off. Er? What's wrong with simply one button to toggle it on/off? One button inside another too, so you don't know which controlls which until you memorize.
    9. Less useable trunk? Rather than being less tall and wider like the '93', it is not higher, but has a greater tuck in where the tires on both sides are. As a result, I don't believe you can stick in as wide of a board into the trunk as before. Smaller lid means it's tougher to get to items way back there.
    10. Tiny sunroof. Maybe Nissan should look at at least the Honda Civic 93-95 sunroof? That at least is better positioned and lets in sunlight the -right- way. Not way back behind your head like the sentra. (Besides, how can we stick our arms out on corners and wave? =-])
    11. More of an enclosed feel. Not as panoramic as a Civic, not as airy as the older Sentras, and an overall tighter, closed in feel. maybe good for slower, older drivers, but not good if you need to want some space. rear seat room is tiny and forget anybody taller than 5'8" there or you'll be aching over bumps.
    12. vague steering. not like a civic at all, nor my 93'. like you can't tell where the wheels are doing much at all, so that limits high-performance maneuvers. great for slow cruising perhaps, but even then, it's more annoying than good. Maybe this is what happens when a well-designed Japanese car gets redesigned in America? becomes a Buick floater...
    13. Not white, white dials. Titanium is their name and it's an annoying light gray. hard to read in glare and bright daylight at times, harder than a basic white on black dial, and you do wonder why they couldn't make it pure, bright white for the highest possible contrast.
    14. Uninspiring design. Get's lost quickly. Even the honeycomb grille with waterspots looks very old at the dealer lot. Why can't they put some thought into it and make it look better when dirty, like the Civic? (maybe that's why the civic sells better....) The design looks dated, esp. sitting next to the wierd Maximas on the lots.
    15. Outside mirrors don't cover both sides as well as the Civic (eg '95 year) does. The left hand mirror on the 95' civic is esp. good at covering your blind spots, allowing for squeeze traffic here in LA much easier than the Sentra mirrors.

------------------------

Other than that, a decently good buy for the low $15K price of a new SE and the features you get in a car at this level. Just don't expect to smoke any Civic Si's however, or do high speed turn tricks or you'll find yourself in big trouble... And make sure you can live with the silly design mistakes they've put into this year's design (and I'd also say wait for the brand-new 2001 Civic to arrive later this year to compare before buying anything in this range, too).

d =)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    23.5 is pretty low for a 1.8 liter four cylinder. My 2.7 liter V6 automatic is currently getting 21-22 mpg in pure city driving and I only have 3k miles. It has dropped as low as 19 and gone as high as 23. The mileage is rated at 20/26. But anyway, if your car is like my Lancer or Accent, you should see a big gain in fuel economy around 8-12k. My Lancer initially got as low as 23 but now consistently gets 26-27 in the city even though it is only rated at 24.
    This seems to be the gist of it all. I'll be patient and see what happens within the next 3k to 4k miles.
    Thanks again all!

The Sandman :-(
  • gotbgotb Posts: 39
    It's been almost three months since I bought my 2003 Sentra LE and the car has 2,300 miles now. About 80% was short trip city driving(My job is only 2.5 miles away). Should I get the oil changed now or wait till 3,750 miles? The manual says 3,750 miles or 3 months... I didn't know Nissan used a special break-in oil out of the factory.