Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Since it's under warranty, that's good. Try another Nissan dealership nearby, maybe another dealer may find the problem. Maybe if you own a "1.8S or 1.8" you shouldn't really rev it up, those 2 models aren't exactly made for performance/racing. I own a '02 Sentra SE-R Spec-V and rev up to 6500 RPMs all the time, but I don't get the "chug-chug" problem like you. Well, hope Nissan finds the problem.
  • Well, its been in the shop for the second time as of today. Dealership wasn't able to "duplicate" the problem, all they did was adjust some air flow regulator or something along that lines. So far it seems ok. But i haven't been out since i brought it home from the dealership. I spoke to another mechanic i know, and he said it sounded like a fuel issue. Seeing that the main time it happens is when i drive at higher speeds, as in on the freeway or passing cars, not being a rally racer or anything like that, its a 1.8S , so i know it has limits as towards speed and all that. But it still should have troubles starting after i come out and try starting it after its been sitting for 30mins or more. Oh, and another thing, the MPG has gone down, the model is supposed to be getting 28-35mpg, but i check it last couple of times I've been filling up, and I've been getting 26-28 mpg... now that really made me think it was some kind of fuel issue... so I'm really confused, so i hope that maybe this trip to the dealership today fixed it. If not, I'm about ready to take it to my own mechanic; voided warranty or not!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    My mileage is no where near what the EPA says. Dealer checked it out, and all is within specs. Wish I had bought the Corolla!

The Sandman :-(
  • Well, i've talked to a few mechanics out there about EPA. Sentra's supposed to get 28/35 or something like that, i get mileage like that of a V6 SUV lol! It's in the style of driving, if you're a high-revving happy driver like me, don't be surprised about your gas mileage. But if you're the calm and steady driver, not going past 3000 RPMs, then i would assume there's something wrong lol. (Don't forget, sometimes brand name gasoline makes a difference)
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    It is almost totally impossible to get the EPA value! I drive, with light foot, in which many will cut ahead, and keep rmp under 2500, what it kill it is the stop-and-go, if you stop all the traffic light (red), the mileage will be crazy! Also, the tire pressure is @ the right amount! If you get 26-28, on "pure city" driving, is very impressive, my mileage with 80% highway driving is slightly higher than EPA city! lol... try hard to work on your MPG
  • Otto,
    I like my 2004 Sentra, for the most part. Bought it in February 2004 and as of Nov. 10, I have 26K on it. It is in the shop right now, bad right front suspension, trunk lock assembly and poor gas mileage. I track all my miles and average 29mpg with a 1.8L where the EPA sticker says it should be 35mpg - never got it. With 26K in 8 months, you can be assured it is not city driving. I was told by the service manager that 29 was not unreasonable. I countered that a 20% reduction is unreasonable. If you are buying for mileage, take a closer look at Honda or Toyota - forget Nissan, whether 2005 or not. I got hoodwinked, never again.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    You "average" 29MPG. Those are your exact words. If thats the average, you have lower MPGs and higher MPGs in there. I'm sorry, but with regards to MPG, its caveat emptor, as the EPA cycles are very very defined conditions. If you were truly buying for mileage, you would have surely noticed the Corolla's significantly higher MPG (3-4 gallons per mile), and gone that route. Im sorry, but I do have to agree that 29 MPG average is not a problem in your vehicle.

~alpha
    Having had 2 Corollas previously, a '88 FX and a '96 DX, I will agree that Toyota's are top notch when it comes to higher mileage in their automatics. 3 to 4 higher mpg's are actually about right. I've finally resolved myself to this fact and am enjoying driving my Sentra GXE now. It rides like a much bigger car, and the brakes beat Toyota hands down.
    With only 2 problems which were fixed under warranty, the car has been very reliable in the 1 1/2 years of ownership. And my kids really like driving it. So far, it's met it's desired purpose for our family, a cheap to keep and own vehicle. It does what it's supposed to do!

The Sandman :-)
    Glad to hear you're happy. I love my 2.5LE. Poor cupholders and a tight back seat are my main complaints. You definitely hit the nail on the head.... Nissan's brakes offer a much better pedal feel to me than do comparable Toyota's (though the Corolla pedal and capability with ABS are actually quite decent)

~alpha
  • 6020160201 Posts: 6
    I saw an ad in the paper for a new 2005 1.8S automatic for 9,995 at Nissan dealership in chicagoland, is this a real offer, or just to get me to the dealership.
  • Hello, im in the market for a new car and ive narrowed my choices to the '05 nissan sentra 1.8s and the corolla s but when i visited the msn/auto website i noticed that under the reliability/review ratings they stated that from 2000, 2001, and 2002 the sentra had major problems with its engine. Im wondering if I should reconsider purchasing a sentra even though its less expensive than corolla due its significant engine problems in the past.
    No real problems with the car except that the mileage isn't as good as the Corolla. Besides that, not a bad car for the money.

The Sandman :-)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I would imagine the bad engine ratings were due to a few recalls issued. The engines themselves are reliable but there were a few recalls for parts that could lead to engine failure. There have been no further recalls since 2002 on the engine. I must say though that the Sentra is quite archaic compared to the Corolla, or any other economy car for that matter. If you can get one for cheap, its a reasonable set of wheels, but definitely not very refined, powerful, fuel efficient, or roomy.
    I agree. This Sentra's time has passed, unless you're looking at an SE-R or SE-R Spec V.

I love my 03 2.5LE (purchased Jan 03)- but at that point, it had comparative advantages- a 165hp 4 cylinder, 4 wheel discs with ABS, and side airbags with head protection.

Now, many competitors offer similar features, more room, better crash scores, fuel economy, etc.

I'd recommend a Hyundai Elantra for bargain shoppers, and if you can find one with ABS and side curtains, the Corolla is an excellent mix of economy, safety, refinement, room, and reliability.

~alpha
  • I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best winter tires for my new Spec V? I definitely cannot survive here in New England on the stock tires in the winter. Thanks guys!

-Brian
  • I purchased a 2004 1.8S with the road trip package, inboard micro filter, and the splash guards all for $10.5k out the door. It was a lost leader and they only sold 2 of these.

Great car!!!!
  • Hey i just joined this forum to look for some answers. A friend of mine told me that the motors for the SE-R and the Spec-V go bad at about every 40,000 miles. He mentioned somethin about the motors blowing of seizing up. I assume by your message that you are talking about the same subject. Even if you are not, do you know anything about this. I am very pleaseed with my 2002 SE-R v-spec but I just dont want anything to happen that will affect my wallet. But what would my friend know he drives a 97 Caviler so hes prolly just running his mouth. Thanks for the help. NISMO power!
    I dont think thats the case, or else Nissan would be facing a much bigger issue, since the same engine powers 85% of Altimas on the road. Tell your friend to enjoy his 8 year old Cavalier.

~alpha
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    Hi all

Does any one get the spy-shot/info about 2006 sentra? It was great to see the 2006 Civic Si with 2L with 200hp! Hope 2006 SE-R will be more than 175hp!