Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Afraid Camry Owner - Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety

Comments

• I'm also watching this "Trouble with Toyotas" as a buying opportunity....

I prefer manual transmissions and it as occurred to me that a good old-fashioned clutch pedal pretty much cancels out any accelerator problem without adding modifications.....

I'm sure this thought has probably occurred with others....
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,754
    How will you buy one when they have a "stop sale" on them.

With a manual a person could simply step on the clutch if the gas pedel stuck but would they think to do that? Just like simply shutting off the ignition.
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    This all comes down to Toyota compromised on quality control in an overzealous drive to cut costs and expand sales during its climb to the top of the world auto market.

It will be interested to see if Toyota follows through as the company they claim to be: Issue a buyback for ALL effected vehicles and offer either a refund or comparable; otherwise, it will go to prove Toyota really is no different than Ford, GM, Honda, or Nissan...including their perceived level of quality.

An unfortunate lesson learned...Shame on Toyota!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    All of this conversation belongs in the topic linked in the header of this discussion. Please click on the link and continue there.

Meanwhile we can continue talking about safety issues as they relate specifically to the Camry here.
  • millwood0millwood0 Posts: 451
    "I'm also watching this "Trouble with Toyotas" as a buying opportunity.... "

that's smart. people usually overreact to good news and bad news.
    I sure hope Toyota does the right thing and offers us Toyota owners the option of them buying back our vehicles...I have nothing more now than a lemon :lemon:
    "I have nothing more now than a lemon"

it depends on what you define as a lemon.
    "This all comes down to Toyota compromised on quality control in an overzealous drive to cut costs and expand sales during its climb to the top of the world auto market."

you know that because?
    I think this is the bottom line: things do break from time to time and mistakes are made from time to time, even by reputable OEMs and in spite of their best intention.

and risks come with life and with asset ownership. the only way not to take risks is not to own anything and not to live.

do this math: of those millions of vehicles subject to the recall, how many of them have reported "sudden acceleration"? at that kind of odds, you can win many lotteries easily.
  • johngf1johngf1 Posts: 37
    This is just another example of Toyo not doing the right thing! I own a 2007 Camry LE and had problems for the first 8 months until I read about the "hesitation " problem for selected/ early Camrys. They knew the Vin numbers affected but didn't inform owners of the problem. Fortunately, Edmund's Forums possible saved my life since the software fix made a material difference and eliminate the hesitation.

Next the cover up and lack of action for the floor mat problems. They knew of the problem but waited months until sending notices to Camry owners. The FIX still hasn't been implemented.

This is the final straw for me - This runaway issue is potentially too dangerous for me and I don't feel like waiting months for Toyota's solution.

TOYOTA - FORGET ABOUT JD POWER RATINGS ! STOP DRAGGING YOUR FEET AND DO THE RIGHT THING. Correct ASAP - SOONER NOT LATER. BTW - I DON'T really think Toyota is "voluntarily" recalling these vehicles! Do you?
    "This runaway issue is potentially too dangerous for me and I don't feel like waiting months for Toyota's solution. "

then dump your Toyota. that's where you can really hit back at them.
    Try telling that to the families who have died because of this and the hundreds that have been injured.

Point is Toyota built itself on its so called Quality which is why I bought my current Camry. Now for all of this to unfold says alot about Toyota. They did everything possible to avoid this and cover it up until the news finally broke.

The sad thing is, even with the loss of all the people from associated accidents, Toyota would had continued to deny there was a problem to save their image.

Sorry, but all I can say is SHAME ON TOYOTA! You let not only me down, but all the Toyota owners who bought into believing Toyota quality was 2nd to none. Instead of trying to become the biggest automaker, they should have focused on being the best.

Maybe they need to go back to the drawing board and review the commercials they tried to get the consumer to buy into.

Toyota Welcome Home TV Commercial

or maybe they need to reintroduce the 1990 Toyota Camry
  • "How will you buy one when they have a "stop sale" on them."

I'm very sure that will be temporary. Unfortunately after Toyota announces "OK - All is well", consumers will still be gun-shy.

As for your other point - still not being able to disable the Camry or other vehicle - I'm done with that argument - you either believe the car has some sort of propensity to be a "Christine-like" killing machine or a reasonable vehicle that has unfortunately had accelerator hick-ups that need to be addressed and nothing more. Pick your poison and move on.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Most of the Toyota's involved are FWD or F/awd and those, even disregarding the current situation, are dangerous enough already, let alone putting in a manual transmission that would get most of today's buying public in deep do-do.
    Turning off the ignition...

And LOCK the stearing wheel..??
    It won't lock unless it gets turned all of the way over I don't think.
    Where do you come up with those numbers? " Hundreds"? Where are you getting this?
    "...material difference.."

Yes.

"..eliminate the hesitation.."

No.

The 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation is still in there, just cloaked to virtual invisibility with the latest firmware "patch".
  • "You let not only me down, but all the Toyota owners who bought into believing Toyota quality was 2nd to none."

Please don't include me in your tirades. This is life; stuff happens; mechanical stuff breaks; you fix it. Nothing is perfect. Anyway, that's my experience during 50 years of driving a wide variety of makes and models.

John
    "..I don't think.."

Exactly, I'd have to look it up to really know. But absent really knowing, for sure, wouldn't most of us hesitate using the key to switch off the engine..??

And what about the PB start/stop, when does that lock the stearing wheel..?
    So, how often do you join in a friendly neighborhood game of russian roulette..?

5 empty chambers or 2 million, your "number" might be next up.
    This is life; stuff happens; mechanical stuff breaks; you fix it. Nothing is perfect.

No, I do not find that acceptable from an automaker to proclaims itself to be different and above the rest. Your reason you would find with any other automaker, not Toyota. Unless there image has been truly fabricated.

Toyota Quality - Who Could Ask for Anything More!"

Oh my, how embarrassing is that??????????????
    I'll play with the next one I see to see if one click locks the steering wheel but I don't think so.

So, just throw it in neutral!
    NOT FAIR...

That will give you an advantage in this game of russian(toyota) roulette.
  • I think you responded to the wrong poster.....

I (ponderpoint) never said;

"You let not only me down, but all the Toyota owners who bought into believing Toyota quality was 2nd to none."
  • Funnily enough, I named my car Christine before this all happened.This was because the XLE is very bossy about things - although she very smart - like knowing which way to blow the air when on Auto mode and whether the air should be recirculated. :) Sometimes she bongs at me and I have no idea what she is trying to tell me.

Toyota needs to go on TV with a mea culpa, an apology and say they are doing everything they can to fix the problem as soon as possible.

My initial complaint about the 2010 I bought in October was the hesitation when I firdt stepped on the accelerator. I don't know if this is in any way related to what's going on right now.
    "Try telling that to the families who have died because of this and the hundreds that have been injured."

that's very unfortunate, for the families and for Toyota.

"Point is Toyota built itself on its so called Quality "

and they delivered on that - quality is a statistical concept. While Toyota's quality continues to lead the pack, Toyota never marketed it to say that their vehicles are free of defect, or that everyone of their vehicles are free of defect.

"which is why I bought my current Camry. "

what can I tell you? just because some buyers have the wrong perception of what was communicated to them doesn't mean those buyers have earned the right to blame the communicator.

At some point, people have to be responsible for their own mistakes.
    "No, I do not find that acceptable from an automaker to proclaims itself to be different and above the rest."

where is the logic here?
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,930
    ponderpoint, i had the same thought about manual-transmission camrys and other toyotas. presumably those will be safer than the models with automatic transmission?

however it also seems likely that some "unintended accel" accidents/incidents could have occurred with manual transmission Camrys - but maybe not as severe? Maybe zero fatalities have occurred with manual-transmissions toyotas/camrys so far? Maybe all the very severe incidents that caused casualties were with automatic-transmission cars? I suppose this data is all there in the NHTSA database/website in case we really want to peruse it...
  • johngf1johngf1 Posts: 37
    I did. I bought a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe. Unfortunately, I gave the camry to my son who is now justifiably concerned. If toyo doesn't correct SOON, i'm sure he'll dump and forever switch from toyo!
This discussion has been closed.