Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Afraid Camry Owner - Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    For me to buy a Toyota Tacoma double cab...

Maybe a GOOD purchase deal...

And I certainly know how to DIY install a switch easily accessible to the driver to disable EFI.

Maybe even a relay actuated by brake light voltage with contacts to open the ECU throttle plate servomotor connection and substitute a voltage to drive the throttle plate closed.

Opportunities abound.
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    Indeed, I don't think Toyota is "Finished", but their Quality Image may very well be. I also see the resale of their vehicles continuing to drop. The winners here are Ford and Hyundai.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Yes, nice to see a familiar "face" with a shout-out for Toyota. And you chose the right person to respond to!
    ...about the federal government "forcing" Toyota to stop production.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) can force a recall, but only after concluding a formal defect investigation, which can take months or sometimes years. Even then, a manufacturer can challenge the order in federal court. GM won the latest such challenge, some 25+ years ago, over the prematurely locking rear brakes on the 1980 X-cars. The vast majority of recalls are "voluntary" on the part of the manufacturers, sometimes after investigations or prodding by NHTSA.

I highly doubt NHTSA has the legal power to shut down production lines on a moment's notice. "Ask" the manufacturers to do so? Sure.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    The ONLY good thing about all this is that Toyota will start importing more Japanese built vehicles to the US now that U.S. production has stopped. I am hoping that U.S. production will stop FOR GOOD. We need 100% Japanese built Toyotas, NOT U.S. built ones. Bring back the 100% Japanese built Toyotas back to the U.S. and you will bring quality back. American built Toyotas are poorly built with cheap American materials and by dumb American workers.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    highly doubt NHTSA has the legal power to shut down production lines on a moment's notice. "Ask" the manufacturers to do so? Sure.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told Chicago radio station WGN that the government asked Toyota to stop selling the vehicles.

Strickland said in taking the action "Toyota was complying with the law."

I guess you could surmise that manufacturing a known defective vehicle is against the law?
    I know what LaHood and Strickland said (and there could be a political motive for doing so). But I still don't think the government can order an immediate shutdown of auto production lines, admitted "defect" or not. Was Ford forced to stop making Pintos after the first few fire deaths occurred?

The burden of proof is on the government, and there is a investigative procedure covering that, with the federal courts having the last word if the manufacturer wants to challenge it.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Those who want to distort issues for their own purposes tend to cherry pick quotes or data. LaHood is simply late to the game and trying to jump in as the top dog with a "Hey look at me, it's my Department of Transportation that did all this to the mighty Toyota. Ta Da!!! They wouldn't have acted except for us.Ta Da..Ta Da!!"

However as a sidenote, at the end of the freep article here it states..

The Japanese automaker has described its recall of 2.3 million vehicles as a voluntary move.

David Strickland, the new chief of the National Highway Safety Administration, said Toyota had consulted with regulators before making its move Tuesday.

"Toyota's decision was an aggressive one, and one that was the legally and morally correct thing to do," Strickland said.

IOW LaHood's own subordinate is telling him to STFU.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    >>. . .is it the floor mats or the pedal itself, or a combo of both?

Quite possibly, it is two entirely separate and unrelated problems. One, a human problem involving the misuse of floor mats; the other, a defective accelerator pedal assembly in which the return mechanism fails after 30,000 or so miles.

This might explain why some incidents of unintended acceleration didn't look to be related to floor mats.

Stay tuned, though. For some people speculation about other causes, despite an absence of evidence, is too much fun to let any explanation settle the matter.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,828
    hey honda seller - yanking on the E-brake is a questionable idea. A pal of mine enjoys demonstrating on rental cars that a front-drive car can drive arbitrarily forward with the rear wheels locked up, no matter what speed one engages the e-brake. Works in reverse too, so I hear from my pal.

Honda seller, if you ever actually try that at a significant speed - remember that it *locks* into position. Try it some day with no cars or obstacles anywhere nearby. One twitch on the steering wheel with the e-brake locked up and you will be driving backwards about 0.2 seconds later.

But hey, great time for the stability control option. "Who knew" ?

"Toyota - our stability control works in all conditions, keeping your car straight and solid, including the last seconds before it unintendedly accelerates your caveat-emptor [non-permissible content removed] off a cliff."
    The burden of proof is on the government, and there is a investigative procedure covering that, with the federal courts having the last word if the manufacturer wants to challenge it.

It says LaHood ASKED Toyota. Don't see anywhere that he ORDERED Toyota to do anything.

Strickland stated that Toyota is complying with the law.

I'm sure every move Toyota makes is consulted with their attorneys. If it wasn't in their benefit they wouldn't have stopped production and would've gone to federal court to state their case. I think they made a wise decision. Don't you?
    "Toyota's decision was an aggressive one, and one that was the legally and morally correct thing to do," Strickland said.

IOW LaHood's own subordinate is telling him to STFU.

Is that how you interpret that statement? STFU you say? Give it a rest as the best decision you've made is to not post the last couple of days.
  • Everyone's assuming that it is the gas pedal that's the problem. What if it turns out to be a glitch in the computer system...or something else ?
  • Finished? No way. I'd buy a Toyota today if they'd sell me one.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    yes, you might even get it for 50% off MSRP...
    The ONLY good thing about all this is that Toyota will start importing more Japanese built vehicles to the US now that U.S. production has stopped. I am hoping that U.S. production will stop FOR GOOD. We need 100% Japanese built Toyotas, NOT U.S. built ones. Bring back the 100% Japanese built Toyotas back to the U.S. and you will bring quality back. American built Toyotas are poorly built with cheap American materials and by dumb American workers.

Oh, so now the problem is yet not again Toyota, but workers making them here in the US? Geeeez! Talk about grasping at straws. This all comes down to growth. Build them where ever you want, the problem is like many companies, once they grow, quality is often impacted.

Give me a break! Talk about more and more silly statements of Toyota looking out for the customer? No way, Toyota was required by law to stop selling the related vehicles. Period!

This just smells to much of a coverup. They deny it, then they are not sure, then they issue a recall, now they are not sure the problem. I would not buy a new Toyota right now even if they gave it to me. Toyota has ruined their so called Quality Image along with Customer Loyalty.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    So, don't buy one!

Why do you keep pouring gasoline on the fire?

Toyota will get through this and the other car manufactures will learn from this!
    Problem is I already own a 2009 Toyota Camry. :lemon:

To make matters worse, noticed Toyota just added another 1.1M cars to floor mat recall (when will this madness stop?????).

Toyota revealed yesterday evening that it's recalling a further 1.1 million cars to fix "pedal entrapment problems" caused by floor mats.

This action is tied to Toyota's largest recall ever last year of 4.26 million cars for the same issue, but is different than the recall of 2.3 million cars for a sticking accelerator announced last week. The new models in question are:

* 2008-2010 Highlander
    * 2009-2010 Corolla
    * 2009-2010 Venza
    * 2009-2010 Matrix
    * 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe
  • millwood0millwood0 Posts: 451
    "Problem is I already own a 2009 Toyota Camry. "

you can always get rid of it.