Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Afraid Camry Owner - Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    So, how often do you join in a friendly neighborhood game of russian roulette..?

5 empty chambers or 2 million, your "number" might be next up.
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    This is life; stuff happens; mechanical stuff breaks; you fix it. Nothing is perfect.

No, I do not find that acceptable from an automaker to proclaims itself to be different and above the rest. Your reason you would find with any other automaker, not Toyota. Unless there image has been truly fabricated.

Toyota Quality - Who Could Ask for Anything More!"

Oh my, how embarrassing is that??????????????
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,603
    I'll play with the next one I see to see if one click locks the steering wheel but I don't think so.

So, just throw it in neutral!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    NOT FAIR...

That will give you an advantage in this game of russian(toyota) roulette.
  • I think you responded to the wrong poster.....

I (ponderpoint) never said;

"You let not only me down, but all the Toyota owners who bought into believing Toyota quality was 2nd to none."
  • Funnily enough, I named my car Christine before this all happened.This was because the XLE is very bossy about things - although she very smart - like knowing which way to blow the air when on Auto mode and whether the air should be recirculated. :) Sometimes she bongs at me and I have no idea what she is trying to tell me.

Toyota needs to go on TV with a mea culpa, an apology and say they are doing everything they can to fix the problem as soon as possible.

My initial complaint about the 2010 I bought in October was the hesitation when I firdt stepped on the accelerator. I don't know if this is in any way related to what's going on right now.
  • millwood0millwood0 Posts: 451
    "Try telling that to the families who have died because of this and the hundreds that have been injured."

that's very unfortunate, for the families and for Toyota.

"Point is Toyota built itself on its so called Quality "

and they delivered on that - quality is a statistical concept. While Toyota's quality continues to lead the pack, Toyota never marketed it to say that their vehicles are free of defect, or that everyone of their vehicles are free of defect.

"which is why I bought my current Camry. "

what can I tell you? just because some buyers have the wrong perception of what was communicated to them doesn't mean those buyers have earned the right to blame the communicator.

At some point, people have to be responsible for their own mistakes.
    "No, I do not find that acceptable from an automaker to proclaims itself to be different and above the rest."

where is the logic here?
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,900
    ponderpoint, i had the same thought about manual-transmission camrys and other toyotas. presumably those will be safer than the models with automatic transmission?

however it also seems likely that some "unintended accel" accidents/incidents could have occurred with manual transmission Camrys - but maybe not as severe? Maybe zero fatalities have occurred with manual-transmissions toyotas/camrys so far? Maybe all the very severe incidents that caused casualties were with automatic-transmission cars? I suppose this data is all there in the NHTSA database/website in case we really want to peruse it...
  • johngf1johngf1 Posts: 37
    I did. I bought a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe. Unfortunately, I gave the camry to my son who is now justifiably concerned. If toyo doesn't correct SOON, i'm sure he'll dump and forever switch from toyo!
    "some "unintended accel" accidents/incidents"

I always view those unintended acceleration with doubts, especially when the supposedly "root cause" is a sticky accelerator.

a sucky accelerator may have caused "unintended acceleration, :) but a sticky accelerator?

and the brakes would have to fail at the same time too.

"I gave the camry to my son who is now justifiably concerned."

don't let him wait for a fix from Toyota. Get him another vehicle ASAP.

you monetary lose from a bad car is a few hundred dollars or maybe a couple grand. your emotional lose from a bad car injuring your son is priceless.
  • "it also seems likely that some "unintended accel" accidents/incidents could have occurred with manual transmission Camrys - but maybe not as severe?"

Oh sure - I don't disagree with that at all. To me the clutch pedal just gives another avenue of safety, not a "cure all".

You have to admit - a big pedal on the floor that instantly disconnects the engine from the drivetrain (essentially) is a pretty powerful tool for safety.
  • chetjchetj Posts: 324
    to anyone reading...couldnt you just put car in neutral?...what happened to cop in his lexus that crashed in CA?...i only buy underrated domestics...i dont think there is a big difference in any car on market w/ quality, but honestly i would be scared to buy a toy till they fix this...plus that their engines sludge if you run oil too long before changing, not that i would ever do that...i read about a tech in bitog saying he saw a lot of toy sludge, mainly due to long oil change intervals or even as little as 6k
    " a big pedal on the floor that instantly disconnects the engine from the drivetrain (essentially) is a pretty powerful tool for safety."

a driver who knows how to drive a car is the most powerful tool for safety.

unfortunately, s/he is in short supply.
  • "to anyone reading...couldnt you just put car in neutral?...

Yes. Quite simply, yes. You are far to logical to be here - get out before somebody performs "rocket surgery" on your logic reasoning and common sense!!!

Once again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoIIT0WJS4s

Drive safely and enjoy your Toyota

Snark away.... Last post....
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,603
    That's a good link that every driver (not just Toyota) should watch.

Man, this is getting messy.
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    In response to Toyota’s massive pedal recall, the country’s biggest wholesale automobile auctions are parking the automaker’s products until a fix is made. Major car auctions, like those run by Manheim and ADESA, are vital to the used car industry, and their decision will likely have an affect on both availability and residual value of many Toyota cars.

“The safety of our customers and employees is our utmost priority, and in that regard, the suspension should continue until the issues have been resolved,” the National Auto Auction Association said in a statement released to the media.

ADESA and Manheim together control well over half of the wholesale auction industry in the United States.

The decision to pull recalled Toyotas from the auctions follows the footsteps of many major rental car agencies, which are not renting recalled Toyotas until a fix is made. Hertz, Enterprise (which runs Alamo and National), Avis Budget and Dollar Thrifty have all decided to stop renting Toyotas until a fix is made.

Used car retailer CarMax has also decided to temporarily halt selling all new and used Toyotas that would be covered under the recall.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,900
    indeed millwood0, that is precisely what I understand has been happening in the "worst case" in the field: brakes, auto-trans-gearshift, and ignition-off apparently all fail at once, as computer/software is wrongly convinced that driver wants maximum throttle.
    corner-case. race condition. rare occurrence.
    but overall it's guaranteed to happen way-too-often when there are so many millions of susceptible vehicles on the roads.
    i have made much of my career by of hunting & eliminating problems like this for communications embedded-systems products.

chetj, that is precisely part of the problem - it appears that in some cases the car apparently will NOT shift into neutral. in some cases it will shift into neutral. in this area i disagree with ponderpoint's analysis, but i sure agree with regard to manual-transmission/clutch.

one reason I am convinced that the vehicles sometimes will not shift into neutral is the Lexus-driving-cop-and-family on his 911 call saying something closely resembling "It won't shift into neutral, and the ignition will not turn off". that tape is probably on youtube/whatever/abc-news. maybe i am not remembering/quoting what the cop said just before he and his family died in their non-Camry - please correct me if so.

Not sure if there are any 911-audio-tapes of Camry drivers in the similar predicament.
  • This problem is a lot bigger than what they are saying and goes back a lot longer to
    I was a flag waving, card carring member of the I LOVE MY TOYOTA CLUB until my 1996 Camry, one day in 08, it just accelerated on its own. I was at a stop light with my foot on the brake ( thank God) and the engine just started to run faster and faster and it was pulling away. It was like someone just stepped on the gas and pinned the peddle to the floor. There was nothing I could do. I had both feet pressing on the brake peddle as hard as I could. I was literally standing on it and my butt was off the front seat trying to control this car. My wheels were smoking, my brakes were smoking, it was a nightmare. I slammed it in into neutral then into park and shut the car off. Waited a while and started the car again leaving it in park. It seemed fine. no revving, not sense that it was accelerating on its own. I was about a mile from my house and wanted to get it into the drive way and off the road. I put it into park and let it roll a bit on its own. Seemed ok. So I put my foot lightly on the gas, still ok. About a half a mile of driving very gingerly- its starts to take off again, exact same thing and I was hardly touching the gas.

If my 69 year old mother was driving she never would have been able to handle or control that car the way it was behaving.

So I called Toyota- they said they never heard of that before- but funny how my mechanic did. He thought he fixed it once- then on the way home from the mechincs it took off again. Then he got in it and it took off on him. After he began doing some research and knowing a few long time mechanics for toyota- it was acknowledge that this was a problem they had seen before. about $1000 later it seemed fixed. I drove it for a month to make sure- but I wasn't comfortable driving it anymore even though i LOVED THAT CAR and took great care of it- I sold it. I now drive a Honda Accord. Not nearly as smooth a ride as my Camry, but so far it hasn't launched me down the street.
This discussion has been closed.