Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Camry oil change interval

Comments

• awn7e- I am at 6500 miles. My local dealer that did repair gave me a coupon for a free oil change. Not the the dealer I bought the car from. They have done nothing but send me emails to buy another car.

Just saw this on yahoo news.
    Investigation: Toyota engages in deceptive legal tactics
    Toyota has routinely engaged in questionable, evasive and deceptive legal tactics when sued, frequently claiming it does not have information it is required to turn over and sometimes even ignoring court orders to produce key documents, an Associated Press investigation shows. Much more to the story> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_toyota_legal_tactics
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Posts: 137
    here is the reason why I change my motor oil every 8000-9000 miles. 95% highway driving, always use cruise control, no traffic where I live, never drive over 70 mph, Oil look new after driving 5000 miles.

I see you get my points. It is not about saving money. The ways I drive doesn't need to change oil too early..

by the way my 2006 camry v6 is 190,000 miles. It drive like new.
  • I did receive a Service Bulletin from Toyota that stated if the engine has 0W20 Synthetic Oil in it that it only needs to have the oil changed every 10K miles. I was also told this by the technician at a Toyota Dealer. Please note, this only applies to Synthetic Oil.
  • egannonegannon Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't anyone else think it strange that Toyota switched to every 10,000 miles for oil changes when they started giving out free oil changes for 2 years with new cars? The coupons I received with my new Camry in April said every 5,000 miles.
  • I was told the same thing at the dealer when I went for the first 5000 miles service; the 2010 Toyota Camry have a special oil on it that need to be changed after 10000 miles.
  • Well I was at the dealer for oil change because the light for maintenance was on and I was closed to 5,000 miles. All they do was tire rotation and they put a sticker to come back at 9,554 miles and when I asked about the oil change the tech told me 2010 Toyota Camry have special oil and need to be changed every 10,000 miles.
  • Did all of you (with recall) get free oil change coupon/s? My local dealer is giving me a free oil change after 3 paid oil changes. They claim it will be the pricier synthetic. It better be since I am using synthetic now. Even though I am using the synthetic they are still giving me stickers on the windshield to come back in 5,000 miles. Seems like it would be easy to change the computer print out to 10,000. I guess we will have to continue resetting the warning light at 5000 miles rather then an option for 10,000.
    How long are you folks waiting in between oil changes? I got my last change after 9200 miles. I worry about the filter not being changed for 10,000 miles but Toyota told me that it was a special filter blah blah.....
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Toyota changed over to synthetic oil for the 2010-11 Camry. Concurrent with the change, oil change intervals have been increased to 10K miles or one year, whichever occurs first. I don't know if the maintenance reminder light can be reprogrammed to illuminate every 10K miles instead of 5K miles for early-production 2010 models.
  • I just wish they would not of came out with that new filter for the 2010-11 Camry. Changing oil was one of the basics that I have always been able to do and save a little $. I have watched the video and still feel a little uneasy about doing it myself. Have not been able to find the oil synthetic 0-20w anywhere besides the dealer. Makes me think that thew move was to make more of us come to the dealer. I don't trust the local lube shops. Heck, I don't trust Toyota service center! I do like the 10K interval but as mentioned using the same filter for 10k worries me. A couple of mechanics told me to change the filter at 5k but that is opposite of what Toyota says.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Posts: 84
    I have the 2011 Camry and couldn't believe the 10K mile oil change interval either....is that just because they give you a free oil change? Scary, is anyone really in the know on this...I don't know of any other car that recommends a 10K mile oil change!!!

Jimmy Drew
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi All:

I purchased a 2007 V6 XLE Camry new. I now have 63,000+ miles on the vehicle. The vehicle is serviced at the selling dealer every 3,000 miles. (Oil and filter changes.) ---- I also use a dealer recommended BG / MOA additive in the oil. (Oil and filters are cheap, engines are expensive!) ---- My vehicle does not use any oil between oil and filter changes. The engine is very smooth and quiet! ---- I DO NOT BELIEVE in extended oil and filter changes! ------ You make your own choice! ------ Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    The 2010-11 Camry uses synthetic oil, like a lot of cars do nowadays, so it's safe to go 10K miles. But you can always do it more often, but certainly not every 3K miles!
  • jlmnjlmn Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    There is no need to fret over changing your oil in your Camry more that once during the 10,000 mile Oil Change Interval (OCI). Ten thousand miles is about the longest I'd go, BMW offering ~15,000 mile change intervals but the oil can be depleted before then.

The reason that Toyota still has the programming for 5,000 mile service intervals is because they want you to bring your car in for tire rotations and any other inspections they see necessary. They need to keep bringing you to the dealer for something.Oils (specifically synthetic) as well as car engines have become more advanced allowing for extended OCIs.

Bringing your car to Jiffy Lube every 5,000 miles will require you spending twice as much money maintaining it (simple math :P ). It also is less detrimental to the environment changing your oil less often, for all your "greenies" out there :D.

I could imagine doing a 5,000 mile OCI during the initial break in period, then switching to the manufacturer's suggested 10k. When the engine ages (especially past 200k, if not a little sooner) switching to a heavier 5w30 or 0w30, particularly if the car is leaking, or possibly doing ~5k OCIs; or whatever combinations of the two.

Tschüß!
  • Mobil ONE makes 0-20w oil
  • Walmart now carries the Mobil ONE 0-20w oil in my area. I still worry about messing up with the oil rings etc.. during an oil change. Plus I get a good deal having my oil changed at the dealer. They include tire rotation, topping fluids, vacuum and car wash. Only had 4 oil changes since Oct, 2009 and two were free because of the pedal recall.

Has anyone with a recalled Toyota (petal/acceleration) been contacted about a class action? I am told that the cars that were recalled lost value because of all the bad press and the recall itself.
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Posts: 62
    edited September 2011
    What is this idiot lawyer planning to do, sue the media? Oh, that they would try!
  • luckysevenluckyseven Posts: 134
    edited September 2011
    pixshooter, article you linked is from February 2010. Toyota resale prices came back pretty fast. Once media induced paranoia died out nobody sells Toyotas at discount anymore. Also because of Japanese earthquake expect to pay a premium on new or used Toyota.

Toyota Unintended Acceleration smearing campaign was totally baseless.

U.S. Department of Transportation Releases Results from NHTSA-NASA Study of Unintended Acceleration in Toyota Vehicles

"NASA found no evidence that a malfunction in electronics caused large unintended accelerations," said Michael Kirsch, Principal Engineer at the NASA Engineering and Safety Center (NESC).
  • gwatsgwats Posts: 1
    I would strongly suggest you change the oil every 5000 miles not because the oil is dirty, but it will also be a good time to rotate those tires for even wear. The 0W-20 synthetic oil can be purchased @ O'Rielly Autoparts. The filter is really easy to replace as long as you have the proper tool, available through Amazon. :) :)
  • pixshooterpixshooter Posts: 51
    edited April 2012
    gwats- I get the 5,000 mile rotation but have been getting oil changed around 8,500 miles. I told the dealer about my concern about not changing the filter for 10k and they told me that the oil and filter are made for it. Guess a lot of us will find out later :-0
    I think I mentioned in the past that Walmart has been carrying 0W-20 for awhile. I still have not changed my own oil. Heck, I have only had a few oil changes since I bought the car in Oct 2009.

How often are the rest of you changing your 0W-20 oil?