Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Acura 3.2TL -
Four
topic. Those of you joining us from that
topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• For the past three days, after i start the engine. I realize the "maint req'd" light was blinking for a few second. I didn't feel anything wrong with the car when i drive it. Anybody knows what causes the light to blink? I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow, hope it is not a serious problem.
  • The maintenance light begings to blink on startup when you approach a maintenance interval (oil change). When you hit the interval (7500 miles) it comes on steady. You can reset it by holding the select and reset buttons down while turning on the ignition, hold for 5-10 sec until light goes out.

Basically its a fancy oil change reminder.
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Posts: 167
    After finding out on this message board a few months ago that a fix kit was available for the TL sunroof rattle noise problem (the rattle which ocurred with the sunroof open OR closed), i called my dealer and told them to order one. Took the car in last week and had them "install" the kit. I found out that all the kit consisted of was "modified" sunroof wind-deflector clips which did solve the problem for now. They also HAD to grease the rubber seals again, which is making a nasty mess on the paint and glass surrounding the rubber. I wish they hadnt done that. For those of you experiencing this rattle, ask for the kit! If the dealer "claims" they never heard of it, tell them it IS available! Oh, by the way, the car is in today for the RECALL for the SRS light. They had to order a kit for that too. Hopefully this marks the end of kit ordering.
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one day my mom was driving the car, she started, and fastened her seatbelt. The car was so quiet, that she hadnt even realized the car DID start the first time. So, she went and turned the key again!! Of course, the starter made that horrific noise. How bad is this?? Is there going to be any permanent damage? Thanks...
  • What wind deflector. I have cars with sunroofs/moonroofs in the past that had a metal bar pop up in the front when the sun/moonroof was opened. I always considered this to be the wind deflector. Our TL does not have such a bar.
  • does anyone know where we can get a wood steering wheel for our TL?, without having a friend in Japan? I understand it is available for the European spec. TL but how about us?
  • Karluvver,

Try www.acura-tl.com. They are currently discussing a group buy.
    I know which bar you are referring to in the other cars. I am not sure if that is a wind deflector (exterior) since it is located under the top surface of the exterior (its located in that "sandwich" where the roof slides into when closing). I had thought of that as a wind deflector also in the I30 i have. However, I was referring to the exterior plastic deflector.
  • inkyinky Posts: 370
    Are these cars still going for MSRP?
    INKY
  • Anyone out there had rust protection applied to their 3.2 TL? I had a 1986 Honda Prelude which was given an application of Rust Check every year for 14 years--- no rust.I sold it 3 months ago & now have a DWP Acura. Question- should i continue this on the 3.2? I really think its a good idea in this area of Ontario, Canada although Honda/Acura says it is not required.Perhaps they do not want me to keep this car for 10 years or so.
  • Regarding 1stnewcar's dash rattle problem I had what I believe to be the same problem with a persistent very irritating rattle coming from the cowl/hood area over the instrument cluster. My dealer (Suburban Acura in Farmington Hills, Michigan) first replaced the black trim surrounding the instrument panel but the rattle continued. Ultimately the technician (Mike -- who was excellent, by the way) suspected that the noise might be the result of the clips in the black trim panel not seating properly in the dash itself due to a malformation in the clip receptors in the dash. A complete dashboard was ordered and installed. Presto -- rattle eliminated. In my case, prior to dash replacement the rattle went away if I pushed the black underside of the instrument cowl/hood upwards while driving. Absent pushing it up, the rattle manifested itself. Although I now have a slight bit of noise from the left side of the dash when going over really bad bumps, the constant rattling is gone. I was very impressed with the Dealer's (and the technician's) level of commitment to cure the problem.

Regarding Chardonnay's inquiry as to Rustcheck. I used to live in Toronto and had a 1984 Prelude done by them. I regretted doing so. Almost immediately after having the car "oil sprayed" strange noises developed which the dealer could never eliminate. I believe that the oil spray compound can break down the factory rustproofing and sound deadening compounds applied to the car and result in more harm than good. The Honda products are now generally not susceptible to rust, especially if you wax a couple of times a year and wash weekly. For what it's worth, I would not bother with rustproofing.
  • dave158dave158 Posts: 2
    I've had my TL for two months now and could not be more thrilled. It's a superb car, a genuine pleasure to drive, and a great value. My one concern to date is its gas consumption. So far I'm getting about 18-20 mpg. I've only driven it about 2000 miles, mostly stop and go, and am not particularly heavy on the accelerator. Maybe this is par for the course. But I'm wondering (and hoping) if its mpg improves as the car get thoroughly broken in. What's been the experience of those of you who have had your TLs for awhile?
  • We've had our '00 TL for 12000 km now (about 7500 miles). I haven't kept "official" track of MPG, but it has most certainly improved over time.

We did our first extended road trip recently, and got tremendous mileage (relative to past cars on a similar journey).

Randy
  • Recently, i notice a sqeaking noice coming out of the passenger seat when the seat is occupied. It occurs when i am driving on an uneven road. does anyone have the same problem? Does the dealer able to fix it? I am affraid that the dealer will try to find excuses and stay away from repairing it, which they always do. Any suggestion how should i approach the service people? This is a great car when everything is running fine. But i am one of those people that have bad luck and had most of defects discussed on this board.
  • swollamswollam Posts: 1
    We've had our '00 TL for about a year and it has around 15k miles. My wife recently took a trip in the car from Columbus OH to Washington DC and got 32.6 mpg.
    The car has been flawless.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    Sometimes this is really simple: get some leather conditioner and make sure the areas where the surfaces can rub together get a good going over - especially where the seat back and seat bottom meet at the pivot point...
  • anikdotanikdot Posts: 1
    I have my TL for 6 months now. Forget about MPG. Who cares. This car is fun to drive. Trust me, it doesn't take more gas then any other car its class.
  • bk1bk1 Posts: 6
    Got my non-nav TL last week. As I noted in an earlier post, I paid 29,800 out the door with a handful of items included (mudguards, mats, wood shift knob...)- what looks like to be an average deal for the Maryland area. I've owned an Integra and a CL prior to the TL. The TL is incredible. It's just plain fun to drive!

On the car care front, what is the best wax out there for those of us with limited time to dedicate to our cars? How often do you really need to wax a car to keep it protected?

=BK
  • sheleeshelee Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if 2001 will add or change colors?
    Is the Pearl white 2000 standing up. Someone posted a Msg that the Bumpers can change color or or fade??? I know Premium gas is recommended but what generally do we use.
  • I have a 2000 TL with 2000 miles on it. When I hit sharp bumps the headlights flicker. Is this normal? I know it would not be for standard bulbs, but what about the HID headlights? The dealer claims not to know anything about this or its possible cause.