Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    They are at opposite extremes in terms of maintenance. The black will show every speck of dirt and scratch whereas I can go weeks without washing the silver and it would still look OK.
  • gregory28gregory28 Posts: 174
    I saw a 2004 Acura TL in blue with a camel interior. It looks spectaculiar in my opinion. There's a 2 month wait for the camel with black- that would be an even better combination.
    Thanks for your opinion. Don't trust the salespeople when they give you broad numbers like that. Email Acura directly and they'll give you the true figures. Less than 2 months ago I was considering a 2003 TL. The sales guy said the new TL was going to cost US$35K and he was asking US$1000 over invoice for a 2003 TL. As you know the 2004 TL is US$33K and the 2003 TL are selling for US$1500 under invoice in New Jersey. I was never interested in the navigation system.
  • kahunahkahunah Posts: 448
    My test drive experience was very similar to yours. I quite enjoyed the short but sweet ride. In fact, I concur with every point you've made. I did manage to take the car on a stretch of highway and man…this car can move! When pushed, this new engine is all business. The drive-by-wire throttle feel is different but it's just a matter of getting used to it. As solid and quiet as the car is, you still experience the hallmark Acura "road feel" in a very positive way. This is not a car for drivers who want to be totally insulated from the road. They're better off driving a Lexus...or a 1975 Eldorado.

Never having driven a car with Nav before, I found it to be very distracting. Plus, I think CDN$3,200 is too pricey for that package. I'm going to test drive the 6MT as soon as the first demo arrives at the dealer this coming week. I've been on a 'no obligation' waiting list for over a month now, so if I like the 6MT and order it, I'll get it by mid-Nov.

As of July this year, Acura sold 31,050 previous model TLs in the US, and 37,502 in 2002. Canadian sales figures should account for at lease one 1/10 to 1/8 these numbers (comparing populations), so 5,000 units sounds about right. Here are US sales figures for various cars: http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsedan.asp
  • I think the darkness of the color makes a big difference. I have a Meteor Silver TSX and find it very easy to take care of. It doesn't get hot, show swirls, or show dirt. I think I've bought my last dark colored car.
  • markianmarkian Posts: 17
    I have owned a Lexus ES300 2002 for the last two years. The car has been perfect, but it is extremely boring to drive. I test drove the 2004TL with the Navi Package yesterday. What a difference in the overall experience. I was able to be part of the driving experience again. I did not realize how boring the ES300 really was. I am going to order the TL 2004 and get rid of the ES300 as quickly as possible.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,551
    I thought someone had posted a December intro. date for the manual trans. (But cannot find the post now.)

My closest dealer (Acura Carland - Duluth, GA) has had a black / gray 6-speed TL on the lot for over a week.

Just f.y.i.
    - Ray
    Still chewing on the exterior styling - but it looks WAY better to me than the new BMW 5 . . .
    Thanks for the sales figures info. So it looks like the Canadian market for TL isn't that big in any year and 5,000 units may not be as tight a supply as the salesmen made it out to be.
  • gregory28: TL is more elegant than G-35, especially the upscale interior. The G-35's interior feels very cheap. I especially like the TL's new surround sound system and bucket seats.
    I saw the Anthracite. It's a dark grey. Looks very nice and will hide dirt more than black. The most popular color for the last 4 years for cars in the US is "light grey". I'm told this is because they stay cooler in the heat and don't show scratches and swirls as much as the darker colors. I've always been a fan of the dark exteriors for cars I've owned. The 2004 TL "satin silver metallic" comes only with the quartz and black interiors. These 2 interiors look quite contemporary to me. I like the parchment and the camel interiors because they have nice looking imitation wood instead of the carbon fiber and metal combination. Again, I realize color is a very subjective thing. The imitation wood makes the interior look more elegant, in my opinion.
    Good news for Canadian buyers. Acura.ca has finally updated their website. Now you can build and price the new TL in Canadian dollars.

http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Models/TL/Overview.htm
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    To Somepair..

On a 04 TL... I was quoted a price of $1100.00 for 7/75k or $ 1000.00 with a $50.00 deductible.
  • Much Thanks tedescm1

Al
  • In Anthracite/Quartz, which looked pretty nice. The dealer has the Anthracite/Quartz 6-spd and Black/Quartz 6-spd that will be available mid-November, so it's either those colors or order & wait longer.

The other car I'm going to test-drive is the 2004 Volvo T-5. Nice incentives already out on the Volvos. Has anyone compared the two?
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    For what it is worth...IMO

I believe I understand the way these boards/threads are put together. You do not have a board for an "Acura TL"...but you do have a board for "Sedan" which includes discussions on the TL.

I know this is how the system was set up at Edmunds, but I think it would be better if this could EVOLVE to boards by a particular model.

I would bet that most people look for info by model type than by car type (sedan/coupe).

If someone wanted to look at sedans instead of a particular make/model, you/Edmunds could have a "program" that would identify all cars that would qualify as a sedan, then the "shopper" could look at each of those boards/threads.

I realize this make be a too significant change to what has already been established, but IMO it would make your site BETTER.

1243 of 1294 by kirstie_h HOST Oct 16, 2003 (7:32 pm)
    OK, just to clarify... there is no Acura TL "board." It's a view you choose when you use the make/model drop-down menus. The boards here are divided into Sedans, Coupes, Hatchbacks, etc. Unfortunately, we can't just move this to the Sedans board as-is. The issue is that, if we start having a different discussion there for each re-design of each make/model, things will quickly get out of hand for the Sedans host, Pat.

I understand why you would like this discussion to remain open, and we're talking behind the scenes about the best way to do this. In the mean time, this board is staying open here. Thanks for your patience while we work things out!

(question mark gone, btw)
  • dbs8dbs8 Posts: 13
    I owned a 98 TL, it was a completely trouble-free car for three years, Just not exciting. I am currently driving a Lexus SC300 and I have driven several diffrent Lex models as service loaners-All nice but boaring. This year I decided to wait for the new BMW 530i. It drvies great but looks like a Pontiac. Then I see an ad for this new TL, I test drove it and I am in love! It was a lot of fun and had everything I want in a car for $19k less than the BMW. Now deciding on colors, the fake wood looks kind of cheap. I wonder if the fake carbon fiber looks as bad, I have not seen it in person. The nav package is a cool toy, this is such a great price for this car, I can justify it.
  • dbs8: I think you're making the right decision getting the new TL over the BMW 530 -- congratulations! I saw the carbon fiber trim on both ebony and quartz interiors: it's decent and it blends in very nicely with the leather and aluminum. Exterior colors, I like the anthracite. Nav package is a cool toy as you say, but it's a $2,000-toy! :-)
    Good luck!
  • Hey, does that TL in the link you provided include any ground effects or is that all stock?

Thx.
    The White almost looks too white. Or maybe it's just the way it shows in the photos. I saw an '04 MDX in White which I thought also was too white. I would prefer a slightly off-white, like the white on the 1999-2000 Prelude.
  • The 2004 TL I test drove was a WDP colour and I thought it was a nice colour. The white is not super white, but is a nice pearly white that is actually to my eyes a bit off white.
  • I actually thought the fake wood looked really good. However, if you don't like it I thought the carbon fibre trim looked really nice with the ebony interior in the TL in the showroom. I like the shine it gives the black interior along with the aluminum trim.
    The white TL shown in the link is not stock. It has the ground effects package installed on it.
  • msf2msf2 Posts: 88
    Will TL pricing remain at MSRP or will it come down a bit this year, and when?
  • is ground effects = aero kit ?
    At this point, it's anyone's guess. I think it's bound to soften a bit, but you likely won't see it tumble for a couple of years.
    Here's a review on the 2004 TL I thought was interesting.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6501
  • webby1webby1 Posts: 209
    Finally got to test drive the Black with yellow (camel ) interior tonight. Salesman or should I say saleskid did not want to shut up and wanted to show me all the features on the navi and stereo. I told him that I am only interested in the car and not the other gimmicks. I want it to see if the car had any torque steer and was able to track straight. I also point it out to him that the glove compartment door did not fit properly....he said that this is not right and he will look into it.
    Now to the test...car is silky smooth and adequate power at low and high RPM, very quiet, brakes are fine and stereo is outstanding.
    Here is the bad part, car was pulling consistently to the left at highway speeds but minimal torque steer when accelerating.
    From my 40yrs of driving experience this would indicate a bad tire. Saleskid admitted this is not right and will investigate and get back to me. Also, I challenged him on the difference of the US vs Canadian warranty, he did not have an answer.
    Overall I like the car a lot and will probably purchase silver with black interior if I get satisfactory answer on the pull to the left and of course will test drive again after they correct the problem. Test drive took 75 minutes.
    During my test drive of the 2004 TL last week, I experienced no such phenomena. The car drove straight as an arrow. And, under heavy acceleration on the highway, there was no torque steer whatsoever. I think your hunch about a bad tire is correct. It was probably under inflated. With my 2000 TL, I experience virtually no torque steer even if I accelerate with my hands off the steering wheel.

The problem with the glove box is very unusual for Acura. Unless it was damaged during or after delivery, that car should not have left the factory. Regardless, don't rely on that sales kid. I would go to another Acura dealership and ask for an experienced sales person and another test drive. Unfortunately, all Acura dealerships are not created equal.

Canadian Warranty:
    Major component – 5 year/100,000 km
    Vehicle – 3 year/60,000 km
    Rust Perforation – 5 year unlimited distance
    Surface Corrosion – 3 year unlimited distance
    24-hour Roadside Assistance for the first four years of ownership
    Accessories – 3 year/60,000 km
    3.2-Liter V6 Engine - No scheduled tune-ups required for 168,000 km

US Warranty:
    Vehicle - 4 year/50,000 miles
    Outer Body Rust-through - 5 year/unlimited miles
    Acura Total Luxury Care (TLC) with roadside assistance - 4 year/50,000 miles
    Accessories - 4 year/50,000 miles
    3.2-Liter V6 Engine - No scheduled tune-ups required for 105,000 miles