Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Blue Book is notoriously high (some vehicles would sell for more than they cost new according to them), looking at Edmunds used info, $23K is almost dead on depending where you live. So it's not a great deal, but it isn't a rip-off either. Another good site is www.nada.com. Both Edmunds and Nada seem more realistic than Kelly. One thing I would wonder about is the mileage, seems a little high for an '00. Hopefully the seller has maintenance records.
  • pinkoopinkoo Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    I have a price quote of $29,000 out-the-door for a 2002 3.2-TL (no navigation, not a type S) from a bunch of dealers in NJ. I would like your opinion on whether this is a good deal.
    Thanks, Pinkoo
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Go to www.acura-tl.com One of the members paid $31500 for Typs S w/nav. Or you can go to the board and find out how much NJ people is paying for the Type S. Try this link- http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001184.html
  • shopper101shopper101 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the replies. It turns out that it was not a deal at all. When I said that I plan to see the maintenance records and ask a dealer for a checkup. The guy never called me back to arrange for a test drive.
  • rjames4rjames4 Member Posts: 6
    Bought a new 2002 TL-S. Have about a 1000 miles on it. Noticed that it drifts rapidly to the left. Most noticable at highway speeds but also noticable on surface streets. Took it back to dealership and was told it was a problem with tire pressure. Was also told that alignment was dead-on spec. As expected, adjusting tire pressure failed to correct problem. Took it back to dealer and salesperson drove car and agreed that it pulled to the left. Drove two other TL-S that night off of the lot and both of these also had the same problem of drifting to the left. Three lane highway and it didn't matter which lane. Taking back to dealer again tomorrow. Anybody else have this problem?
    Read previous post. Getting frustrated with Honda products. Odyssey minivan pulled hard to right. Noone could figure out problem, finally TSB came out and problem turned out to be problem with position of subframe. Now have new TL-S that pulls to the left consistently. Two other new TL-S on the lot do the same thing. What gives? You would think that after years of building cars they could build one that drives straight.
    Let me make a prediction: When I take my TL-S back in tomorrow for service concerning the pulling to the left problem they will tell me:

1. There is nothing wrong, it is due to the crown in the road

2. I have a bad tire or the tire pressure is incorrect

3. They will need to cross-rotate the tires

4. It is due to the wind
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Could be worse. A few CR-V drivers have experienced what we call the dreaded PTTR (pull to the right). Dealer service departments have told people that this is a safety feature designed to prevent you from drifting into on-coming traffic if you fall asleep at the wheel.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    hey there used to be a pull to the left problem on many Chrysler 300Ms. Finally a TSB came out saying that the engine would need to be re-seated on the mounts.

Your problem could be something similar.
  • billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    I bought a TL-S 2 1/2 weeks ago and with over 600 miles now on it I have no indication of pulling to the left or right. In fact the car's peformance has been flawless so far.
  • julieg1julieg1 Member Posts: 1
    My TLS tracks straight and true at any speed, on any road surface, including ruts and crowns. It has far exceeded my expectations from day one.

Yesterday hit the mountains, it was all I could do to slide either end. Tight contant radius corners posted 15 mph, TLS started slipping at 45. 20 mph corners took 60 without slipping.
  • timtaylortimtaylor Member Posts: 3
    I have had my TL-S for 3.5 weeks and have had no problems with pulling to the left or right. The car drives straight. Before the TL-S, I had an '00 TL for 16 months and that car also drove straight.

[Note: The "Check Spelling" function on this site is not very intuitive. Recommend you use the "Edit After Spell Check" function to visually inspect your posts]

T
  • drgg4drgg4 Member Posts: 9
    I am preparing to install PICA 940 fog/driving lights on my 2001 TL. The 940 fits the odd-shaped trapezoidal hole on both sides of the front bumper better than any other choice I have come up with. Does anyone have any experience doing this kind of job? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Member Posts: 167
    I have seen pictures of TLs with foglights installed...they had ordered them from the japanese Insight model. I wonder if the fogs from the 2002 TL will fit right into the 2000's holes? The CLs are different (they arent even fogs)...are the TLs a diff story? (35 or 55 watt fogs at least?)
  • zirconzircon Member Posts: 62
    It is rumored that the cl will get a 6 speed manual. Is the TL in line for this trannie?
    Rumors are rumors, but this is the deal...

http://www.vtec.net/news/items/696.html
  • dtsheahandtsheahan Member Posts: 1
    I own a '99 3.2 TL I need to bring it in for its 30k i. maintainence. My new dealer says that I'll need an "all wheel alignment" even though they haven't checked my car yet. The car is not pulling.

3.2 TL owners: are you hearing the same thing or is my dealer trying to squeeze some money out of me?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    can't answer specifically if ripoff or not, but I believe that good maintenance on a car includes an occasional 4 wheel alignment...if the car has not been aligned since new, regardless of whether pulling or not, an alignment at 30K is a good idea...also 60K and 90K if you keep the car that long...sometimes some tire dealers insist on an alignment for their tire warranty to be valid, since misaligned vehicles will certainly wear tires quicker...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • jiahjiah Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, I just bought a 2002 TL no Navi. Upon driving back from the dealer (60miles) and before pulling into my garage, I hear this fairly loud noise (sounds like a fan gets turned on)under the hood. This noise stays on for about 20 seconds, then it quiets down, and then it got louder again after a minute or so. This happened after I drived the car for about 60 miles and put it is in "P". Has anyone observed this? Is this normal for new 2002 TL with only 70miles on it?
    Thanks!
  • tubbytoasttubbytoast Member Posts: 3
    Look under the hood when you hear the noise. It's probably just one (or both) of the cooling fans behind the radiator operating normally; nothing to be worried about.
  • jcthom4jcthom4 Member Posts: 24
    Will this stuff damage the car? I don't know if I want them spraying stuff on my new leather or autobody. It is supposed to help dampen road noise too. Anyone have any helpful thoughts? Thanks in advance :-)
    If it is free get it, if it isn't that's a rip off.
  • miles25miles25 Member Posts: 1
    My friend is looking to purchase a 2002 TL-P with or without navi. I have read a couple post by you saying that you received a quote for $29000 out the door including tax, fees, etc in the NJ area. Can you tell me which dealership, name of sales person, etc. Thanks a million!
  • tlsshoppertlsshopper Member Posts: 1
    Well folks, after a few interesting dealer discussion sessions (especially with comments like, "you can't buy it for that kind of price anywhere") supported by posts on this forum, I picked up the TL-S w/Navi yesterday from John Huynh (800-96ACURA) at South Coast Acura, Costa Mesa, CA, and drove it back to Phoenix, AZ. (Yeah, the same John you've read about in several other posts on this forum)

Here is a breakdown of the deal for you future TL-S shoppers:
    $31,000 TL-S w/Navi and Dest. (inv= $30,430)
    550 rear spoiler
    135 splash flaps & wheel locks
    5 CA tire fee
    45 Doc fee
    15 DMV fee (temp transit tags)
    2,380 7.5% sales tax
    $34,130 Out The Door price

For those of you purchasing cars out of state, be warned; ie, some states (like CA) require the dealer to charge sales tax, even if the car is to be titled and registed in another state (ie, like my deal). The only way in CA to avoid the sales tax is to truck the car to your location; you can't legally drive it out.

Driving the car from SoCal to Phoenix I got 32mpg on the first tank full (had to drive all the way to Yuma though, to get high test for less than the CA $2.xx range). Kept the rpms under 3K, but can't wait to try out the VTEC boost (I already have a Prelude VTEC, but of course only 4 cyls).

BTW, this was my first experience with a Navi system; I found it to be very helpful. I've driven to/from San Diego several times, but when I asked the Navi to give me the best direct route, it found a faster way (yeah and no dirt roads; all freeways). It also kept me honest. When I took a planned detour, it was recomputing the route and giving me directions back to the planned route. I think I'm going to enjoy the Navi capability.

If for some reason John at South Coast can't find you the unit/deal desired, send me a private message; I've got a few other names in SoCal that might be helpful. I found John to be an individual with high integrity and very honest during our negotiations; he accepted my word (and a Fax of my driver's license and insurance card) to solidify the deal. I'm glad we were able to finalize this deal and that John got my business (ie, I was within 1-2 days of another potential deal).
  • mlisonmlison Member Posts: 3
    To Brian124: Sorry for the delay in my response. I was so pleased with the outcome of my visit to the dealer on my problem, I never came back for additional advice.
    I don't have the deflector on my sunroof others have referred to and I guess my problem was more of a squeak than a rattle (if you want to be "technical" about it). Anyway, as I'd suspected, dirt gets between rubber and metal and when the roof flexes, it makes noise.
    I brought my car in, gave it to the tech at 4:45pm and was back ON THE ROAD at 5:10, with a freshly washed, QUIET car. No charge. That was a little more than a month ago. Car's still as quiet and rattle free as new. (13,400 miles.)
    You have to watch out with this service, though, as pointed out here many months ago. The fix involves cleaning and lubricating the weather-stripping and rubber seals around the sunroof and some careless techs will get the cruddy gel all over the exterior of the roof. I didn't have that problem. Also, it makes sense that if it happened once, it'll keep happening each year or so. But with a quick fix that can be done during any oil change appointment, no big deal.
    Having said all that, you may be having problems other than that since you have only had your car a couple of months. Hope you find the answers you're looking for.

For the record, I couldn't be happier with my 2000 TL.
  • cigarman3cigarman3 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering leasing a 2002 TL (No-Navi). Can anyone tell me if these numbers are good?

First month payment $367
    Security $375
    Bank Fee $450
    Motor Vehicle and Plates $130
    Document Fee $129

$367 per month
    Residual Value $18,200
    36 month lease....

Thank you!!!
  • vino1vino1 Member Posts: 8
    Would you please tell me where you are getting that lease and how many miles per year. I have been offered 399/mo(includes tax) 42mo. 15K per year here in FL $650 down. Thank you!
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Do you mean to tell me that you will have to pay sales tax again in Arizona? Why did you not truck it over. The tax was over $2,000. Does Arizona not charge tax upon registration?
    Just curious, as I have bought cars out of state on occasion. All rules vary.
    Thanks and enjoy! That is Civic gas mileage. My 00 Model was amazing also on the highway 32-33.
    INKY
  • carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    Want accessories go to AHMotor.com. Best prices and fast delivery. TL-MUD GUARDS $63.20 WHEEL LOCKS $32.50. Any mechanic can install the Mud Guards because instuctions and clips are included. Dealer wanted $118 plus $75 per hour labor to install. I told him to get lost. At my 1st oil change young man installed the guards and wheel locks didn't even want to charge me but I gave him a $20 tip. THe whole thing took 20 minutes. Tell the greedy dealers to go scratch.
  • crsolcrsol Member Posts: 1
    Want to purchase a 2002 TL-S non-nav. in the next 3 weeks. Anyone in the west (near UT) getting good pricing? Best I am getting here is 30,500. Invoice with desination is approx. 29,500. I saw 31,000 posted for a S-nav. Need more info.

Help.
  • batrabatra Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a TL 2002 base model (no nav). Can someone give me a delaer name in New jersey esp. south new jersey) or philadelphia who is selling the car for under 29000 (with taxes and title)
    The best I am getting is 28,360 without taxes9 only 1000 below the MSRP)
  • hayabusahayabusa Member Posts: 26
    I'm in the market for 2002 TL, but have some questions for owners.
    Is it comfortable?
    Is it roomy?
    Overal is it quiet?
    Is it quiet on the highway at 70mph, not alot of road and engine noise?
    What RPM is the engine at 70MPH?
    Is the TL-S harser, less comfortable than the regular TL? I'm more interested in comfort than sport, besides the regular TL is already "sporty" and fast enough. But if there is no difference at all in comfort then a TL-S won't hurt...
    I'm more concerned about highway ride, comfort, and quietness. That's what is important to me...
    Thanks
    I had the TL Type S, I think it has too many wind noise. I had I30t and it is a whole lot of quieter than the TL. So, if you want less noise, I think the TL might disappoint you.

Well, go get a test drive and you can make your own decision.
  • andrewjoandrewjo Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experience a heavy vibration noise in the TL with only the back window rolled down. When every I'm going about 60 miles that's when the heavy vibration starts. I took it back to the dealer and test drove another TL typeS, and it happened in that one also. Anybody knows what's causing it.
  • mack21mack21 Member Posts: 1
    Hello! friends, the 2001 acura has a loud wind noise. If you are looking for luxury car you make want to look at another car.

I purchase my acura at niello acura in sacramento a. and they appear content to let the loud wind noise remain my problem.

I need to known whether or not anyone has had this type of problem and what can be done to get the problem corrected or have the dealership buy the car back. Pleas advise ASAP!!!!!

Thanks

mack21
  • novotny_jacknovotny_jack Member Posts: 12
    FYI: just thought you would be interested to know that if you have access to United Buying Serice (UBS) through an employer they are now handling acura (At least in MD-VA and DC).
    Pricing is (includes vehicle, destination , gas, delivery, warranty,)
    TL = $27,963
    TL/Nav =$29,783
    TL?S=$30,302
    If you dont like to haggle or are buying a relatively in demand car at the beginning of the model year this is a painless way to go. Just my humble opinion
    Regards
    Jack
  • heymistaheymista Member Posts: 22
    I just purchased a 2002 TL-S and I do not have a wind noise problem. One of the changes in the 2002 was more aerodynamic side mirrors to address the wind noise problems in earlier models. Someone could probably get the new mirrors installed on older models to help with the problem. I don't know if anything was changed in the actual door and windo seals. My car seems pretty quiet except for some road noise due to the 17" tires.
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    It is not Mercedes quiet, but my Type-S is fairly quiet. Esp compared to our 00' Maxima.
    Don't think the wind noise is much different than other cars in the class.
    Yes, the 2002 TL Type S does have quite a bit more of wind noise compare to my 2001 Infiniti I30t.
  • alex79alex79 Member Posts: 1
    Numerous messages have appeared in this discussion on a mysterious rattling noise emitted from the sunroof area of the TL, after 5-10,000 miles on the car.

Here's the official story from Acura themselves....

After about 3,000 miles on my 2000 Acura TL, I noticed a rattle emerging from the sunroof area of the car. I took it into the dealer; he said it would take about 30 minutes to fix. He cleaned and greased the seal and I was on my way. To make a long story short, the problem emerged again, another dealer, another 30 minute grease job on the seal. And then again- same rattle, another dealer, another grease job.

Something was truely wrong.

Frustrated and looking for resolution to this recurring problem, I called Acura Customer Service (on the back of the visa style Acura card you were given). After several weeks and multiple reps, I finally got a rep who acknowledged the truth of the matter: the seal of the Acura TL sunroof is a faulty design and they have yet to engineer a permanent solution to the problem. Every TL manufactured from 1999 has (or will have) this sunroof seal problem. Basically, the seal becomes dried out under certain conditions (hot weather, dry weather, etc.) This contraction allows the glass in the sunroof just enough space to where it will vibrate if the car is jarred- this is the source to your rattling. Apparently, Acura in Japan uses a paste with a long lasting application for the problem (no, not the paste they use here); this paste is not allowed to be used in the US for environmental reasons, though (again, this came straight from Acura customer service- you can believe what you want). Acura here came out with truely mediocre solution- a clear plastic tape to fit over the seal; basically if you complain enough, this will be the remedy which Acura provides. This tape lasts several months, but it also wears off and must be replaced. Why has Acura not issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)? I asked this question myself to Acura Customer Service. His answer was that all TSB must be reviewed and approved by Acura (Japan) corporate itself; Acura (North America) does not have the authority to issue a TSB by itself. I could not believe that, on one hand, Acura realized internally that it had an engineering defect in every post '99 TL manufactured (just look through this board), while externally, it refused to acknowledge that an incorrectable design flaw had occurred in its flagship model. I do not know why Acura has not been more forthright about this problem- maybe the costs, maybe because it cannot find a solution so its a blemish to the Acura rep.- I really do not know. The manner in which Acura hs dealt with this problem does not make sense. This is, however, the genuine truth as to what has happened- what I posted in the e-mail is exactly what I was told by Acura Customer Service concerning the problem.
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Member Posts: 167
    Our '00 TL and '01 CL-S are both much more quiet than my 97 I30t on the road. No wind noise in either car, but crusing road noise is much less in the TL/CLS compared to the I30t. Overall, our TL reminds me of my previous car, 92 Diamante which was the quietest most aesthetically pleasing interior I have owned.
    You mean TSB # 32 that doesn't exist?

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/Servicemmy5.cfm

Search on 1999/acura/3.2 TL/structure: body roof
  • aditz_36aditz_36 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the 2002 TL base model last weekend. I'm 6-0 and have plenty of headroom. The windsheild slopes back more than in a Honda Accord, so it is not the most roomy of interiors, but pretty adequate. I do hit my head on the sunvisor if I lean up much. I think it's extremely comfortable and quiet, you can barely hear the engine running, and wind noise is not a problem in the 2002. Of course I'm used to a bouncy 4x4 pickup with a loud engine. Interiors of TL and TL-S are basically identical, if thats a factor.
  • shellzshellz Member Posts: 51
    About that sunroof noise, I'm not sure I know exactly what everyone's talking about, but my 99 TL had a squeaky sunroof too--fixed it by putting a little silicone around the seal, no more noise from it!

To all you new TL Type S owners, are you pretty happy with your cars? How would you compare it to a standard TL? I'm pretty happy with my 99, but the lease ends in a couple of months. Is the TL just a faster, more nimble version of the base car?

Shellz
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    If you had owned the 2nd generation Legend ('91~'95) and now own 3.2TL/TLS, would you please comment/compare the two? Thanks.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    I always considered the 3.5RL to occupy that position, whereas the TL is an up-grade from the ill-fated Vigor ...............
  • akuma1akuma1 Member Posts: 37
    Okay I know this would sound a bit stupid asking in the Tl forum but I trust that many of you won't give me too biased of an opinion since most of you guys probably looked at the other cars as well. My dad is looking at the Maxima GLE, TL, and Avalon. Pretty much similar in price and in features and pretty much offer different things. So ya anyone care to help me out?
    Maxima GLE-you can pretty much buy this car below invocie in the U.S. (notice that you had a Canada flag). 2002 Maxima had lots of improvements (GPS, Xenon headlights, not to mention 260hp)

TL-unless you still can find the 2001, otherwise the 2002 is selling pretty much close to sticker.

Avalon-plain ugly. IMHO. Not worth to make any recommendation.

Among those choices, the TL had longer warranty and better customer services.
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    I own both a 00 GLE Max and a 02 Tl Type-S.
    Maxima, you can find for invoice plus incentive financing. TL and Type-S closer to MSRP (unless you live on West Coast).
    So there is anywhere from a 3000-5000 dollar gap. Your money. Need a bargin, Maxima in the fall when the new Altima arrives.
    I enjoy both cars, but consider the TL a step up. (my wife usually drives the Max)
    Avalon, never crossed my mind.