Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Acura has lost sales in the past year because the TL was in its laat year of body style and on top of that Honda introduced a new Accord on a brand new platform last year so thats why Acura sales are down. It will be interesting once demand for the new TL dies down how it will sell. After all BMW is shooting itself in the foot with its overstyling of cars and Mercedes is shooting itself in the foot with quality issues and trying to keep Chrysler above water. Acura might benefit from BMW and Mercedes's miscues.
  • I would not be too concerned about bugs, particularly on an Acura. Remember you are covered by a good warranty; the times I left my 2002 TL-S, the service has been excellent and I have been given a loaner for the asking.
    If the damned thing was rear wheel drive, I would be trading in right now. To me, all future great cars will be RWD or AWD.
    As for pricing, work from the Invoice (see Edmunds New Cars); I would order the car, add perhaps $600 to $800 and leave the offer with the dealer.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Posts: 202
    Did you guys see what they did with the 04TL presentation? It's the best I have seen out of any Automobile manufacturer website.

http://www.acura.com/models/model_index.asp?module=tl

The best part is if you go to “Specifications” on the menu. It gives a list of all the specifications and on the side it gives you movie clips and presentations on each feature. The best is the interior and exterior showroom. I spent two hours looking at the specifications menu last night and didn’t even get half way through!! I haven’t seen any of these cars in person since I have been in Iraq since July and will be here until March, but since I started my extensive research on entry level luxury sedans exclusively on the internet, in my mind the 04 TL 6MT is the right car for me and blows the rest away in features and performance combined with value. I just hope prices come off the MSRP a bit by April.
  • kahunahkahunah Posts: 448
    Have you downloaded the 2004 TL screen saver yet? Pretty cool.
  • I have a 2001 Acura TL and am not happy with the Acura service department I am using. There is a Honda dealership right up the street from me that I have heard good things about. Any reason I shouldn't use a Honda dealership for service on my Acura? Will I void any warranties? Isn't the TL basically the same car as the Accord?

Thanks
  • I can relate to your story. I also bought a Lexus for the wrong reasons. Lexus is a great vehicle, just not for me. Trying to sell it right now. If I can't sell it, will take a bigger loss and trade it in. But either way, I am getting the 04 TL.
    Can somebody help me out what is the big deal about rear wheel drive? I see BMW's getting stuck in the snow. AWD is fine. I aready had RWD: never again.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    I signed the petition for Bluetooth at Verizon.

Which cell phone companies currently support Bluetooth?

fyi...In case you guys do not know...beginning sometime this month (Nov 03), all Cell phone companies are supposed to start allowing/supporting Number Portability. Which means we can now change between cell phone companies and keep our numbers. (This should make competition better since we will no longer have to change our numbers if we find a "Better Deal".)

Original message that brought about my comment -
    1500 of 1566 Petition for Bluetooth Technology for Verizon by gregory28 Oct 31, 2003 (1:25 am)
    For everyone who intends to purchase a 2004 TL, please go to the following link and sign this petition. Even if you don't use Verizon Wireless as your cell phone carrier. They are a major player and if they start purchasing blue tooth technology phones all the others will too. One of the highlights of the new TL is the hands free device built into the stereo, but you need a phone that's compatible.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ver123&1
    well they share of the same parts and are based on the same platform. The TL drives a little different from the Accord. Maybe you can call the Honda dealer up near you and ask them if you can bring your Acura in. It doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no. The only minus is at the Honda dealer if you bring the Acura in you'll probably have to wait to get customer service because you didn't buy the Acura at the Honda dealer. Dealers customers always first and then all the other customers after those dealers customers. Oh yeah ask about the warranty's when or if you call the Honda dealer.
  • Thanks for the response. I did get am email back from the honda dealership saying they could do the service, but not the warranty work which I somewhat expected. As for the customer service, I can't imagine it being much worse than the dealership I purchased the car from.

thanks again.
  • Well, I have a TSX that has a build number < 5000. I haven't had a single problem. The car has been absolutely flawless in the five months I've had it. BUT, lots of TSX drivers complain about squeaks and rattles. So, there seem to be some issues that need to be resolved.

I think it pays to wait until after the first year if you can. But, if you need to buy now, I wouldn't worry about it. Acura's quality control is pretty high.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    The downside of waiting till Acura gets the bugs out of the new model is that they may very well raise prices. Demand seems very high, they're advertising the car everywhere, and it's nearly $10,000 cheaper than a BMW330. They could easily raise the price a couple of thousand down the line without losing too many customers.
  • I read couple articles before 2004 TL came out that 2004 TL might get AWD option...

so any more news?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    they're leaving the AWD for the new RL. But then you'd never know what might happen a couple years from now...seeing how the G35 is getting an AWD option.
  • Does anyone know the top speed of the 2004 tl?
  • The TL is not the only car int the market. By the fall, there will be increased competition in that segment, with new versions of the IS300, GS330, and Passat. There will eventually be a new Infiniti FWD car in that segment as well, based on the current Maxima. In addition, new models are on tap from BMW, Audi, Saab, and Volvo.

The reasons why Acura will not be raising prices like you suggest is because their is far too much competition in that bracket. The only real chance of a raise in MSRP would be if there was some sort of upscale version introduced with extra features.

If anything, the TL will be CHEAPER next year. By that time, supply will have caught up with demand and their more discounting.
  • I agree with Uncledavid. The current demand is high because the car just came out. Demand will slowly decrease and supply would increase. My guess by early Summer 04 dealers would be cutting prices to move stock off their lots, in face of several competitions in the market.
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    its not which companies support bluetooth, its more about which phones are bluetooth enabled. Right now the only bluetooth enabled phones on the market are for GSM based services, and I believe Verizon is not even close to crossing over to GSM in any forseable future. AT&T, T-mobile come to mind as GSM based services... also most GSM multi band phones will work worldwide, whereas, Verizon phones wont work beyond north america and some scattered worthless markets. Anyway, phones such as SonyEriccson T68 have bluetooth. These are some of the phones on the market with bluetooth, but this list is not comprehensive...

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/blue/blue.htm

ksso, a bluetooth fan for years...
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    The competition you mention for the TL, which you claim will keep TL prices steady, is mainly non-existent. The current Lexus GS300 is already about $10,000 more than the TL, and the next model will undoubtedly be higher. The BMW, as noted, is already thousands more, as is the Audi A4.. The new Maxima is a dud and getting dreadful reviews, as will any Infiniti based on it. The Passat competes with the Accord and the Camry, not with the TL. What else? Volvo is more expensive and sells few cars, as does Saab. So what's left is the Infiniti G35. In other words, the TL is a bargain now and next year, and they could raise prices and it would still be a good buy. Also, don't expect discounting next summer. How long did Acura dealers maintain sticker prices on the old version? At least a couple of years, I believe.
  • ksoman - AT&T is TDMA based, not GSM. And, even for Verizon, it is possible to use bluetooth with some phones. I have a Verizon Kyocera 7135 and it does support bluetooth add ons.

bartalk2 - When was the last time a manufacturer raised prices thousands of dollars over the course of a model run? It just doesn't happen, particularly in a competitive market. You are suggesting that Acura is somehow going to raise the price on the TL to a fairly substantial degree without adding any features. But, to the best of my knowledge, Acura and Honda have never done this on any model in their history.

Anyway, as far as competitors are concerned: The new Passat, with a V6, will have about as many features as the TL and cost only a few thousand less. So, it is reasonable to portray it as a competitor.

Direct competitors for the TL include:
    Saab 9-5 (which will shortly be revised)
    BMW 3 series
    IS330 (new version in the fall)
    Audi A4 (new features coming in the fall)
    Volvo T5
    New Infiniti FWD sedan in the fall
    Caddy
    VW Passat

And, btw, I priced both 3-series and the Audi A4 V6 version and neither was "thousands more" than he TL. The MSRP on a well equiped 325i is in the same price range, same as an Audi A4 V6 frontrack. Both could be had cheaper than a TL right now.

And, Lexus' new version of the IS300 will be several thousand dollars cheaper, but offer comparable performance and features.

Acura did not maintain prices on the last TL for several years. Discounts were available after the first year. They just weren't big discounts.