Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bgkanne1bgkanne1 Posts: 18
    As a general rule from what I have read (and in some cases from the car manufacturers themselves) switching to synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 should occur after the car is fully broken in. That could be anywhere from around 5K to 10K. Of all the synthetics on the market, Mobil 1 is recommended the most and is the easiest to find. Some cars (Porsche, Corvette, Viper, etc) come with it from the factory, but their engines are specially machined to accept Mobil 1 from new as a break in oil.
  • dtate99dtate99 Posts: 122
    I expect the reason you have noticed that the AC fan doesn't fully engage is b/c you've overridden the auto control feature. If you manually adjust the fan speed settings, it doesn't matter how cool you set the temp or how hot the interior of the car is, the fan will only run at the lower speed as exhibited by the two bars on the display in the example you use. You have two choices: 1) Continue to control the fan speed manually or 2) Leave the control in the "auto" position. This is a smarter option IMO as it allows the internal computer the chance to select the most desirable fan speed. I live in South Georgia (so you know it's hot here) and it takes all of about 2 minutes to really start to cool the interior on hot days and I just leave the control in auto mode. Once the car cools, the fan automatically slows down to accomodate. I can increase the speed manually by decreasing the temp setting or increasing the fan speed.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,690
    David - I live in Atlanta now but I grew up in Douglas (Coffee County) and I can concur about the heat in South GA (although technically I think Dublin would be South Central GA).

My wife does this all the time. I get in the vehicle and it takes me a few minutes to realize the fan isn't adjusting speeds as it should. I don't understand why she can't just change the temperature. I asked her what she does at home if she's hot or cold and she said she changes the temperature setting on the thermostat and I said so why don't you do that in the car and leave it on auto? No answer. I gave up.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Actually I find the opposite is true. If the climate control is left in full auto, the computer will kick the fan up to max almost everytime. For me the noise and airflow blast from the fan at max is too much. Unless you live in really really hot climate, I find if you crack the windows open a bit and have the fan at 2 or 3, the interior will cool sufficiently quickly.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Posts: 202
    I live in the south and what I do is roll down the windows with the keyless entry as I am walking to the car. I have the auto climate control set at 68. I start the car and take off. Within 100 yards I roll up all the windows and close the sunroof. By this time the climate control is blowing out cooler air than the outside. Within a minute it is blowing out cold air and the car is quickly cooled. It works great I think.
    Allright, Allen, so technically Dublin is in central GA but it just sounds better to say "South GA" when talking about how hot it is. LOL!

Bodble, yeah I reckon you Canadians don't know too much about the HEAT! Good thing for you the TL also comes with the seat warmers. :)
  • Is anyone else hearing any facts or rumors about any changes for the 2005 Acura TL?

I stopped by my Baltimore, Maryland Acura dealer the other day to inquire about 2004 & 2005 Acura TL's. There were almost no 2004 models on the lot.

I asked the salesperson if they knew of any changes for the 2005 TL. Here are the answers that I got: No change to body, turn signal blinkers will be added to exterior mirrors, no fold down seats.

I then asked if the 2005 TL would have the XM "Direct Traffic" feature, which is a system that shows accidents, road construction, live traffic patterns and travel delays on the navigation system, available for the top 23 metro markets in the USA. This is an incredible feature that will be available on the Acura 2005 RL. The dealer had no definite answer but he did say that the RL and TL share the same navigation system.

I'm holding out for a 2005 TL model for the following reasons: 1)Hopefully this XM Direct Traffic feature will be available, 2)The 2nd reason is that I'm hoping that Acura will work the bugs out of the 2004 model, such as lots of rattles and creeks. Is the rattling problem really bad for this car? It seems like a lot of the people submitting messages to this discussion board are complaining about the rattles.
    I just don't think that a $35000 car should have a lot of rattles and creeks.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on the above subjects.
  • Is anyone else hearing any facts or rumors about any changes for the 2005 Acura TL?

I stopped by my Baltimore, Maryland Acura dealer the other day to inquire about 2004 & 2005 Acura TL's. There were almost no 2004 models on the lot.

I asked the salesperson if they knew of any changes for the 2005 TL. Here are the answers that I got: No change to body, turn signal blinkers will be added to exterior mirrors, no fold down seats.

I then asked if the 2005 TL would have the XM "Direct Traffic" feature, which is a system that shows accidents, road construction, live traffic patterns and travel delays on the navigation system, available for the top 23 metro markets in the USA. This is an incredible feature that will be available on the Acura 2005 RL. The dealer had no definite answer but he did say that the RL and TL share the same navigation system.

I'm holding out for a 2005 TL model for the following reasons: 1)Hopefully this XM Direct Traffic feature will be available, 2)The 2nd reason is that I'm hoping that Acura will work the bugs out of the 2004 model, such as lots of rattles and creeks. Is the rattling problem really bad for this car? It seems like a lot of the people submitting messages to this discussion board are complaining about the rattles.
    I just don't think that a $35000 car should have a lot of rattles and creeks.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on the above subjects.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    No rattles here. 6-speed navi bought in May, now has 3,600 miles.
  • took delivery of my TL in January. Have NEVER had a rattle or a squeek!!!
    Fortunately, there are no "creeks" in my car, but there are a few rattles and creaks. Although, the inside did get kinda of wet the other day when it rained and I had left the sunroof open....

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
  • gordsgords Posts: 13
    I am currently the owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L which has seen only one recall notice (the van was subject to recall on a transmission problem by Honda, but did not require the "fix") and has performed faultlessly since we took delivery of it. (Factory ordered). We are now looking to replace this with the 2004 Acura TL. Is this car a pick or a pan? I know the Honda Accord EX-L V6 is the plain Jane sister, but it just doesn't do it for me in the styling department. Any help? The car will be purchased new in Canada. And Dtate99... We DO KNOW HEAT up here, we aren't all living north of the Arctic Circle.
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    I think the TL is a PICK and will help you lose the soccer dad image.

However, I think you'll find most everybody on this forum to be biased as most of us are TL owners.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    The TL is not perfect, but I would rate it a Pick. IMO, the styling rocks. On the negative front, various squeaks, rattles ,etc are annoying. And torque steer is there -- auto or manual. Not excessive, but it is there nonetheless.

PS: Does anyone find the spring action on the doors a bit strong?
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Posts: 135
    Interesting to hear that the turn signal blinkers will be added to exterior mirrors....

If you look on page 35 specifications on a 2004 Acura TL sales brochure, they indicate one of the safety features is "Door mirrors with integrated directional signals". Oh well.....if you REALLY want to see a Sales Brochure where marketing vs. reality are not the same, pick up a 2004 Mercedes E-class brochure. It got so bad that they put a bunch of stickers in the brochure to amend the incorrect info.
    Yes, I find the springs to be a bit strong. Almost daily I open the door to exit the car and inadvertantly meet it on the way back to the closed position before I can get out of my seat.
  • David,

Hopefully my 2005 Acura TL will come equipped with mirror turn signals, XM Satellite "Direct Traffic" features and a navigation system with spell check. Thanks for the laugh.:)
  • At 7700 miles my '04 TL auto overall MPG is 23+. The biggest surprise is the highway mileage. This past week I did a quickie 3000 mile trip from NC > IN > NY > NH > NC. With 3 adults aboard and a trunk full of luggage, we averaged 31+ (31.4 mpg to be exact) mostly at an indicated 65 - 75 mph. I always drive at the speed limit +10 which means probably ~8 mph actual over the limit. This kind of mileage was realized over interstates and rural US highways.
  • Honda is really tight about new model releases. Even the dealers know nothing factual. Before the new TL came out there were hundreds of rumors about features, engine, etc., and few were even close. You just have to wait and see. Talking about it is futile.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Undertoad,

Have you been getting that gas mileage from the beginning? I have 3,800 miles on mine (6-speed) and get 30+/- on the highway, but have been averaging only about 16-19 mpg in "mixed" driving around town and the DC beltway. Just had my first oil change and didn't (yet) switch to Mobil 1. The service manager claimed that it can take 5,000+ miles for break-in and good MPG on the TL.

For comparison, in the same "mixed" driving conditions, I averaged 22-24 MPG in my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed that is nearly as quick as the TL and 21-23 MPG in my former Honda S2000. So I am very unimpressed with the poor gas mileage of the TL in anything other than a 70 mph cruise control environment. Further, my S2000 got 32 mpg on the highway with the top down at 75 mph (EPA rating of 26), so I don't consider my TL's ability to just match the EPA rating of 30 on the highway that impressive.
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Posts: 399
    You are clearly having way too much fun driving your 6 speed TL on the DC Beltway to get 16-19 mpg! Just kidding. ;)

I can say that I just had the first oil change at 6000 and 5 months (<15% on the MID), and have been seeing 21-22 in mixed to no-highway driving with the automatic.
  • around town mileage is abit better for me because I'm in a rural area where two lane roads are posted at 55 and there a few traffic jams...one of the reasons I retired from Boston to eastern NC. My 1998 3.0CL did a couple of MPG better around town but I could never get a consistent 30 MPG highway with the 4 speed auto. I like my '04 TL but it doesn't appear to have the build quality of the '98 CL. Just changed out the original oil at 7676. The dealer had put a sticker on the windshield recommending a change to 5-30W at 3750 but I ignored it.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Posts: 202
    Less traffic in eastern NC? Wow, you must live in one of the few parts in the area that has light traffic. NC has one of the worst planned road systems I have ever seen.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    hello habitat and all ...

I got a TL....just liked the style and hi tech interior components...

decided against the BMW 325i and C230.

I have only 750 miles on it, and am getting about 22 mpg mixed driving. I hope it will break in soon, and then perhaps switch to Mobil 1 synthetic.....

I do sense some of the torque steer, as compared to my rental Audi A4( took the cayenne in for service), which has no torque steer. However, the A4 has none of the creature comforts of the TL, and less safety features.
  • Also got a TL. Became a fan, car is very quick and hugs the road. Great value for the money. Just turned 1000 miles. First Highway drive got 26 mpg.
    Mixed driving getting 21-22 mpg. Not sure if the TL likes 89 or 91 octane. Going by Dealers recommended first oil change at 2500 miles.
  • Just purchased a blue tooth phone for the TL. Had minimal pairing issues with a V710 phone. Car detects phone every time. Hands free dialing easy (incoming & outgoing calls). Acura TL customer support did state that the V600 phone may require a handsfree software upgrade on older TL's.
    what phone is it specifically ? We will go to our friends, who have a cell phone store, but are not sure which phone works best with the TL . Can you advise more ?

congrats on the TL, BTW. I agree, it is fun and hugs the road and has instant steering feel. Lots of power, though I need to rev it up to higher rpm to access the hp.

we just drove TL down to sunnyvale( 60 min ), and left the cayenne at home..... :)
  • Purchased the Motorola V710, which just was released by Verizon. Acura mentioned that the phone has not been certified, but I had minor trouble pairing. Only read the quick installation guide. Send & Receive not a problem. No problem with clarity with the other party. Acura hotline acknowledges a compatibility issue with Motorola V600. May require a software upgrade on earlier TL's. Hope this helps.
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    >>Not sure if the TL likes 89 or 91 octane.

No it doesn't. The decreased gas mileage will cost you more than the few bucks to go with the higher octane. You spent over $30K on the car, you should give it the gas that makes the investment worth it IMHO.

>>Going by Dealers recommended first oil change at 2500 miles.

Sounds like a rip off. When a dealer recommends anything that's not in the manual, be wary. The onboard computer knows more than a money-grabbing dealer knows. That's where they make most of their profit.

Also, I have just over 5000 miles on my TL. The gas mileage has improved about 2 - 3 MPG since around 1000 miles. I'm getting 27-28 MPG in mostly (75%) highway driving. One long trip I got 34 MPG!
    thanks, JL....

we are going in tomorrow to try to scout one out and get it....

love the TL voice commands...true hi tech with real world safety usage/applications.

BTW, you said you had "minor trouble pairing the phone" . Does that mean you had "little " to no truoble, or "some " trouble ?

thanks....