Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• igibanigiban Posts: 530
    I actually test played CD on TL during test drive, and I did not really feel TL's any better than ML on ES. I did not play DVD-A, which I presume can exceed ML's. The problem is how many TL owners really play lots of DVD-A.

Note that the 05 RL is not using the similar head and speakers as TL's. It went back to Bose. Makes you wonder if TL's is really the best.
  • Did anyone notice that the new DVD navigation system now includes the Zagat's Food Guide? A bonus for all the foodies out there.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "The problem is how many TL owners really play lots of DVD-A."

I would if I could find some. Now I just have to settle for playing the demonstration disc over and over again :)
  • qwallsqwalls Posts: 406
    I found some at Best Buy, just none that I wanted. Amazon.com has a few. I wish Acura had gone with SACD instead, but it's still a decent stereo system.
    There are some glitches with amazon.com shipping across the border, aren't there?
    Probably, but I honestly don't know.
  • sanand5sanand5 Posts: 33
    I am considering a 2005 TL but I am concerned about the posts regarding problems with the leather. How many people have NOT had problems with the leather cracking or loosening extensively?
    I haven't had any problems yet with my 2005, but I only have 300 miles on it so far. It does look like Acura used a slightly different design on the seat bottom which should reduce the butt prints.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,364
    so far , with about 3 months in the TL, we do not have any cracks nor fading, nor stretch marks. I would suggest to get some type of leather protectant to help it out.

Love the Nav on the TL. I have a cayenne, and its(cayenne's) CD based Nav is a pain, cause when I am listening to a CD, and want to go somewhere, I must pop out the CD, pop in the nav CD, and then pop it out again, and change back to the music CD....what a lot of trouble...even though I like the car alot....
  • hi. I just purchased my 05 TL and have about 350 miles on it. I don't yet understand what is a DVD-a disk ... can I burn one on my cpu DVD burner? Will the TL's system play CDR's I 've made?
    thanks for info.
    Ron
  • mdhaukemdhauke Posts: 202
    No, you cannot burn a DVD-A. They are unburnable, that was one of the selling points to the music industry. Unfortunately not too many labels or artists are doing it. Of course a TL will play a CDR just like any CD player made in the last 8 years
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Posts: 106
    Has anyone with a later build date 03 TLs had a transmission failure? That is, anyone w/ a build date after the "fix" of May '02 had any failures?

I purchased my TLs in March '03 and it has 18600 miles on it and it's still okay, but was just curious as to what others are experiencing?

How about the 04's? My 03 TLs is not included in the 100k warranty so should I assume it is one of the good transmissions?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I would assume the opposite - that your 03 TLS probably has a trnasmission that still isn't truly "fixed".

Friends of ours with an early build 2004 TL recently got a recall notice for their automatic transmission. They bought it in November 2003. They are pretty livid, since they were "assured" by the Acura regional rep that the transmission problems had been fully fixed for the new model.
    For those of you who had mug guards installed on 04/05 TL, can you tell me if it's really useful. I seem to think car looks better/more luxy w/o these things put on, but if they really protect maybe it's a good idea to get it installed if it's offered on a deal. Also, is it something we can put on and remove ourselves w/o damaging the covered painted parts?
    I bought them at about $70 for the set and installed them myself in about 45 minutes. Not bad for an MBA - the only odd tool necessary is a right angle Phillips screwdriver. The holes inside the wheel well are pre-drilled with screws already inside. No issues with damaging the covered painted parts either.

As for their effectiveness, I would put it at about 50%. I went through a muddy road and noticed the front ones had caught most of the mud that would have been sprayed onto the lower side panel/front doors but the upper wheel fender still got some mud sprayed on it. Rear flaps seemed to catch everything.

Personally, I think they look good on anthracite gray. They are rather dimunitive and give a bit more of a finished look, especially to the rear wheel well. But that's just my opinion.
  • 49,000 miles on my 2002 TL....NO problems with the leather!!!
  • Go to buydvdnow.com
  • I've had my '04 TL for 9 months and the leather, although not perfect, still looks quite good to me. It seems to be holding up better than any other car with leather that I've ever owned (including a Lexus ES300 and BMW 525i). I guess only time will tell for long term durability.

Jeff
    change indicator light really show the need to change the oil ? Will the warranty expire/become void if one changes the oil a month after the oil life meter reads 0% ?
    I think you go by the maintenance schedule. I think the oil life meter is just an aid. It's just an ESTIMATE of oil life based on several measureable factors.
    thanks.... I'll go by the schedule then..

also:

when do you guys think is a good time to switch to synthetic oil ?

I think some said after a few oil changes, some say after the engine breaks in, some say to stick with regular oil. I thought synthetic would protect the TL engine a lot more...since it does not break down as easily.

thoughts from all you TL fanatics ? :)
    I would switch after the 1st oil change.
  • Why are the seats so hard? Took a test drive and was just not comfortable,,, sticking with my 01.
    I think the seats are fine, and my last car was the epitome of comfort, a Lexus LS400. Maybe you just need to try the various adjustments again. It may take a while to get it just right.
    It's not Lexus seats all right but I think it's still softer than bimmer's or MB's. The whole new TL is sportier than 01's, including the seats. And no one says sporty seats are soft. I guess TL's look + Lexus interior can have some appeal, but that's just not there. Maybe try RL. Its seats are more comfy, if not the $$$.
    My complaint on the TL isn't that the seats are too hard, but in spite of looking sporty, they are not as supportive and comfortable as any of the premium European brands. I would rate Volvo, BMW (sport seat option) and Mercedes (multi-contour option) as at least 2-3 rungs up the ladder from Acura.

It's not just an Acura TL complaint: I have yet to sit in ANY Japanese sedan (or SUV) that has as good of an ergonomic design and seat support/comfort of the Europeans mentioned above. My 1995 Maxima SE was guilty. And Lexus seats aren't any better, IMO. Perhaps it's just that they are attached to such "un-sporty" cars that their excessive padding and mushiness blends in with the Lexus driving experience. At least the 2004 Acura TL has taken the driving dynamics and handling up a few notches.

The only Japanese vehicles that I have ever owned that had superior seats were my 1984 Toyota Supra and my 2002 Honda S2000. And, in the case of the S2000, I believe the seats were designed by (and possibly made by) Recarro.

This is a serious conundrum. I wish the engineers that came up with the superior Acura navigation system would focus their talents on the seats.
  • nkeennkeen Posts: 316
    Re handling, etc of the 6-speed.

Great long distance car. If you want European style chuckability and aliveness you're better off with the more fidgety TSX, but the TL has great grip if you apply power progressively through the turn. It's a big, fast luxury tourer, not a sport sedan. If the TSX is European in concept, the TL is definitely more American. The engine is fabulous, the transmission great, the clutch fierce -- it'll catch you out with its abrupt uptake after driving something else. It's a big, bad front driver and handles like one. I've always been a FWD believer (space, snow, rain) but note it'll plow. Steering is sensitive to road camber changes -- doesn't have a lot of caster -- reminds me a bit of a Series 2 XJ6 in feel. I'll replace the poor Bridgestones with Michelins or Contis when the OEM tires expire. XM is worth it to me for the BBC World Service alone and my 1940s Furtwangler CDs sound good on the DVD player. The longer I have the car the more I like it.
    Interesting that you would describe the TL as a "luxury tourer" rather than a sport sedan. I guess it's all "relative", but when I had my TL in for a "B" service yesterday, they had a new RL on display and for a brief test drive. I didn't get a chance to test its full capabilities, but after driving it for only about 4 miles, hopping back into my TL 6-speed felt like I was going into a small sport sedan from a large luxury car. Mostly the visual affect of the interior, but also the insulated driving feel of the RL. I have no doubt the RL's capabilities at the limits are impressive, but I doubt it would get my $49,000 over another $5-7,000+ for a 545i 6-speed.

FWIW, my service manager also recommended replacing my HPT summer tires with 245/45 series tires when the time comes. Apparantly the TL rims were sized for 245's and the standard 235's leave the rim edge very susceptable to curb scrapes (which I've already had a couple of). Fortunately, at 7,700 miles, my tires are still in very good shape, compared to some of the Potenza tires which are in need of replacement after as little as 12,000 - 15,000 miles.
  • Personally I use full synthetic. If you have read the articles comparing them it states that synthetic does not brake down nearly as fast and does protect the engine much better. I live in Florida and the heat warrants the extra protection. Personally I would use it wherever I lived. Make sure to use full synthetic and no blends. Mobil 1 or Castrol are my favorites.
    Goor Luck...