Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• It can't be bought in stores, as the Zaino Brothers service primarily the Show Car industry. However you can buy on line at zainostore.com, and they also have many private distributors around the country you can buy from. It's not a big deal - the supply you get lasts a year or more.
  • Finally I am back where I came from... now to more important things. If anyone cares, Zaino products are distributed by Mike Adams, (mike@zaino.ca) in Guelph, Ont. in Canada.
  • prelecprelec Posts: 15
    I picked up my wdp/parch about 5-6 weeks ago(can you believe I can't remember the exact day-hour-minute?) It has met all of my expectations, but there are a couple of annoyances(small I'll grant you, but I think that's why people come to this forum, to hear this stuff).
    The biggest gripe is probably the rear view- ya can't see nuttin. I mostly use my mirrors, but if I was a head-turner I'd be sorely disappointed.
    On delivery, the glove box did not line up properly. After they ordered the wrong part, I'm still waiting for resolution.
    There are a few(3-5) bubbles in the paint. The service guy at Niello Acura says he wouldn't risk trying to paint parts of a new car. I don't know if he'sjust trying to get out of fixing it or what. They are not very noticeable, but I know they are there.
    The gas mileage has been bad(17-19), but average speed has been 25-28 mph. I don't really mind too much, cause the performance is worth every penny.
    On the other hand, what a great driving car. This thing is a rocket when you step on it. I handles well, is VERY comfortable(6'2"), and the stereo is awesome. I really love it, but I thought you might like to hear about shortcomings
  • I found another feature on the TSX that we do not have on the TL -

On the TSX there is a rubber button above the license plate to unlock the trunk when the car is unlocked. The TL doesn't have this convenience.

We are also missing the GREAT turn signal lights in the mirrors.

Strange that the higher level car should be missing some refinements on the lower level (and older) model.

I guess that we'll have to make do with all the other great goodies on this car!

Today I bought the DTS DVD of Steely Dan's "Gaucho". It is incredible - I sat in the car and listened to the whole thing!

I also checked my tire pressures - I found 35-37 psi as it came. Lowered them a little and the ride is now "perfect", and the steering seems more accurate.
  • jaydolljaydoll Posts: 120
    Automophile,

I have shown for several years and recently have been judging at shows. McGuires still appears to be the most widely used product applied by hand. When I have the time, I prefer to use a professional wax/teflon product applied with the buffer. Application takes a while but the results are incredible. That being said, I am always looking for a product that can be applied by hand and give me the results I achieve with the machine. McGuires Medallion gets very close, goes on and off easy and, it does last a long time. That being said, I am always looking for something better. So I will try the Xaino. Do you use the XFX cure extender?

Thanks,

J
  • Hey it worked! Thanks for your help. That homelink section in the owner's manual should be re-written (perhaps by you) :)

Again, thanks for your response - I appreciated it!

Geri
  • Aahh the other extra features the '04 TL doesn't have:

External trunk release
    External blinkers on the outside mirrors

I was also wondering about the trunk release and noticed no key hole or button to open it from the outside.

I also have another feature the TL could have had and that is a code key on the driver's side handle in case you lock yourself out.

I guess we'll be seeing these in the '05 model. Should I trade in my '04 then and get the best of the best :)
  • Automophile, thanks for the tip about checking tire pressures. Mine were a couple psi above the recommended pressure of 32 psi. I'll be interested to see if/how that affects the ride.
  • I noticed this as well...strange that something that adds to a perception of luxury would be on the lower priced TSX. I imagine they will add it on in '05, and any of us can purchase the new side mirrors then to keep the car looking modern.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I thought the mirror blinkers on the TSX are too narrow. They don't look as good as the ones on MBs. TLs have the side blinkers anyway.
  • Does the 2004TL have an immobilizer? If not, what does it have for a security "system"?
  • All Honda/Acura automobiles have the engine immobilizer now.
  • doesn't have the same or similar key/fob as the '03 Accord. Does anyone know if in '05 they will change this as well? The laser cut key is very nice, esp with the remote built into the head.
  • eg424eg424 Posts: 24
    When I attended the auto show at the Anaheim Convention Center in California, the salesman tested the blinkers on the TL and the amber side markers did not blink.

The large TL brochure does say, under Safety Features, that the the door mirrors have "integrated directional signals". The salesman said that he was told that the TL was planned to have the signals but then the designers decided that with the amber front side markers, the door mirror signals were overkill. Unfortunately, the brochures had been printed and it was decided not to do a reprint of that page.

Since it seems that everyone wants this feature, it will probably be added for '05'.
  • jeffxpjeffxp Posts: 33
    Those mirror blinkers look cheesy I'm glad they don't exist on my new TL. The car is beatiful just the way it is.
  • deetdeet Posts: 3
    I was originally "driven" toward a German engineered car for my next lease and wanted to stay away from a BMW despite the reasons to consider the vehicle (BMW is the official car of Dallas with the ability to spot a 3 or 5 series at any stop light). I have enjoyed to feel of the test drives in the A4 3.0 Quattro despite my concerns over the lack of size, but am now taken by the features/price on the 2004 TL. I have driven each twice and understand completely the features. One side of me says to go with the driving experience offered by the Audi and pay a few extra $, the other side of me feels that I'll experience claustrophobia after 6 months and wish that I had gone to the TL with all the additional sexy features. So, while I realize that it's a personal decision (drive vs. feature) I'd like to see if the board can offer me any information to sway my decision. Much thanks.
  • dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    "a few extra $"??? According to carsdirect.com, an Audi A4 3.0 Quatro configured with the same options as TL (had to select Premium, Sport, Cold Weather and Infortainment packages + leather upholstery option) is $40,355 MSRP, $37,000 invoice. That's agains TL's $33,000 MSRP and $31,000 invoice. To most people $7,000 is a lot more than a few extra dollars. Even COMPLETELY stipped down, the A4 3.0 Quatro is over a $1,000 more than TL, but then it's not even remotely comparable. If you get it without all these options, you will very soon regret that you didn't buy a TL.

I've learned my lessons the hard way: if you have doubts, when buying a car, and wish that you either got a different car or bought additional options, you will very soon get an itch to trade up. It will then cost you a lot more than if you just followed your gut initially.
  • I recently test drove the new TL and was more than impressed with the ride quality and all the features this car offers! The only thing my salesman didn't speak to was whether or not the TL has auto on headlights. He told me they have auto off, but I really like the auto on feature (I have it on my current car). I was hoping TL owners could tell me if auto on is a memory setting that can be programmed?
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    just turn on the headlights and never turn them off. That's what I do with my 2002 TL-S.
  • if Acura does release a Type S of the TL, would it most likely have a 3.2L DOHC V6 24V iVTEC engine with about 300HP??? just wondering if anyone else also thought that there is going to be a new Type S!! :)