Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hmmm ... I've driven manuals all my life and when stopped at lights when on an incline, I shift into neutral and keep my foot on the brake. Why would I want to use the parking brake instead of doing that?
  • I used the parking brake in such situation so that the car wouldn't roll back in the second between lifting my foot off the brake and putting it on the gas. Otherwise, I'd have to do a "rabbit start" and burn some rubber, which I didn't want to do :-)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    I can see that engines tuned for more HP on premium will lose some HP with regular, but how's MPG played there? Would regular hurts MPG in such engines and why?

The timing must be retarded to prevent detonation if you use lower octane fuel than recommended. The engine is not as efficient with the timing retarded thus the mpg drops.
  • nkeennkeen Posts: 316
    "Hmmm ... I've driven manuals all my life and when stopped at lights when on an incline, I shift into neutral and keep my foot on the brake. Why would I want to use the parking brake instead of doing that?"

In the UK you'd fail the driving test for that -- failure to maintain positive control of the vehicle at all times. This pertains to the time between taking your foot off the brake and pressing the accelerator as you move off. Please don't jump all over me for saying so, but It's a real problem in the US, where drivers of manual cars consistently let their vehicles slip backwards towards the car behind them at hilly intersections.
  • armandarmand Posts: 178
    I think a lot of owners feel they have both the acceleration and the handling - I know I do. There may be a certain number of cars with problems (there always are regardless of brand)but I believe there are a large majority of owners (including me) that are very happy with almost all aspects of thy car. I have a few minor grips but I have them with every car i have every owned - including more expensive cars than the TL. For what you get for the money it is a great car.
  • Some people just wanna have some fun, ignore them! we know what we got, thats all that matter, right!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, I guess I should clarify that I've always lived on the east coast in a mostly sea-level area, so maybe that's why I've not had a problem. But it still seems to me that a skillful driver won't roll back much in the second or so it takes to engage the throttle. However, you can't control how close the other person gets to you, so I see the point. It's just never been an issue for me.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    I took delivery yesterday of a new 2005 TL - Green Pearl - Parchment Interior - No NAV. The engine in this car is awesome and the interior has a rich look. I traded my 2003 Cadillac CTS in on the TL. My CTS had over 50,000 miles on it and I had many reliability problems, I just lacked confidence in the CTS. I am amazed at how much more refined the TL is compared to the CTS. The TL's engine is so much smoother and more powerful than the CTS. I only have about 50 miles on my TL so my impressions are limited, but I am impressed thus far. I believe if the TL was rear wheel drive it would be recognized as the best sports sedan in it's class.
  • pkl123pkl123 Posts: 43
    If you dont mind, what kind of deal did you get ?
    MSRP including destination and handling was $33,470. I got a $2769 discount for a subtotal of $30,701 plus tax and title fees. I got Kelley Blue book wholesale for my trade. I felt this was a great price. What do you all think?
  • >> How about a mute button for the radio.

If you are listening to a CD or DVD, you can pause the playback by pressing the numeric button of the current disc playing (i.e. if you are playing disc 2, hit the preset button 2). This will pause playback which will in effect mute the stereo.

This isn't in the manual, I found it out when I was trying to switch CDs and hit the wrong preset button :)

Jeff
  • Sister is leasing the TL, but has a 6 month old in a rear facing seat. It is the Britax Advantage, which is on the large side. Concerned over her ability to fit it comfortably in the outboard position (two kids) with a 6' driver.

She is planning on bringing the seat into the dealer for a "fit", but would like some feedback from others who have installed car seats in the rear of these vehicles.

Thanks.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    That's getting close to invoice now. If you get pro pack it's even under. Is Acura or TL just not that popular in midwest?

Anyone can get that kind of price in CA, esp. No. Cal?
  • 99gs99gs Posts: 109
    Golfnut5, I just purchased a TL in Columbus, Oh. (Lindsay Acura). It's the dark gray metallic with ebony interior with the Navi. I haven't seen the green color, but it looks like a great color for the TL. I drove a bunch of cars including a CTS and STS before deciding on the TL. My wife and I are both in amazement at the combination of performance, handling, and refinement for the price. This car is world's apart from the '02 Regal GS I traded in. The engineering and attention to detail is something pretty special compared to what I'm use to. The Navi learning curve was a lot to handle at first, but it's all getting pretty routine now. I ended up paying $33,300 for mine, but the dealer did $1,500 better on my trade than any other appraisals I had gotten. I did look at the "Tire Rack" survey for the OE Michelin tires. It doesn't look like they will perform very well after 20K miles or so. Maybe I should just consider this a summer tire, even though it's an all season tire, and get some snows. If anyone wants to put up another 10K the RL is an outstanding ride too.
  • RL is more like a 15k increase.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I have to admit it's been awhile since I've owned a manual, but when I used to drive those little Honda and Mazda hatchbacks with manuals back in my "youth", I swear, no matter how steep the incline, I could limit rollbacks to no more than a foot, without ever using the handbrake. Mind you, a heavy, high-powered car like the TL may be more difficult to get the right clutch-slip.
  • 99gs99gs Posts: 109
    What's 5K among friends? Guess I didn't look at the price seriously. At 48,000 it compares favorably to everything else we tried at that price.
    I agree with you, I cannot believe how nice the fit and finish is on the TL. The engine is awesome. A similarly equiped CTS would be priced over $40,000. The only thing I think the CTS has over the TL is rear wheel drive. I hope in the future the TL will be available in all wheel drive version.
  • brew99brew99 Posts: 86
    Have had a front facing seat in the back seat of the TL for almost a year and have recently had the occasion to add a rear facing for our new arrival about 6 weeks ago. We have a Graco system that includes a base that remains in the car and is fastened via the LATCH system. The detachable infant seat then attaches to the base in the car or can be placed on the stroller. I am about 6 feet tall and in my normal seat position the rear facing seat fits in fine behind me although it just fits. The TL does however have good rear seat room and this is one of the reasons I bought it over the A4 or 3 series which are quite a bit tighter.

Now if they can just get that cup holder and parking brake design right on the stroller we'd be all set.
  • brew99brew99 Posts: 86
    It is a very fine audio system but I find that I don't listen to the DVD-A disks very often since the selection available is so poor.

Bobble - I noticed that bestbuy.ca has their Cdn website up and running and have a DVD-A section on there. Same blah selection though as what was available in store 5 months ago.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I would prefer seeing the TL converted to RWD rather than AWD. I have driven the RL and, although it's not comparing apples to apples, found it to be no better handling than my TL 6-speed. That extra weight in the RL is noticable and would take away from the nimbleness of the TL.

When I was shopping, I also test drove both the 330i and 330ix and felt the same way. AWD may be preferable for poor weather conditions. But, IMO, it simply doesn't afford the handling feel of a lighter weight RWD setup, at least not in most sedans. I won't kick a 911 Turbo out of my garage, but its rear engine layout provides a different driving dynamic altogether.

I'm not sure what is keeping Acura from going to RWD on their higher end models. Lexus' GX300/430, SC430, LS430 are, as is the Infiniti G35, M and Q classes. I hope Acura isn't so enamored with the SH-AWD system that they feel it is the answer to all of their models. I didn't even consider Audi, in part because of their porky curb weights and sluggish performance. Let the 4,000 lb RL be the showcase for technology, but keep the TL under 3,500 lbs and make it even more competitive with the 3 and 5 series.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,364
    only changes I would opt for in the TL would be a

1- maybe rear wheel drive

2- flexible engine with more torque available earlier

3- better transmission..

but these are not major issues..I think. IT s a real good car...
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Because it would pull significant sales from the RL. Same reason you'll probably never see a V6 in the TSX. Maybe there will be a RWD TL sometime but that's a major engineering development program. Since the current TL is only 1 model year old, it will probably be several years, if it happens.

I think the typical luxury car buyer is more interested in a smooth ride and interior luxury than absolute handling prowess.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    "I think the typical luxury car buyer is more interested in a smooth ride and interior luxury than absolute handling prowess."

Sounds more like a Lexus tho.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I doubt the TL would ever offer RWD. If anything, they would introduce a separate RWD model for the hardcore enthusiasts, like Lexus did with the IS300
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,364
    agree ....

this platform has been front wheel drive for a long time...
  • kkftzkkftz Posts: 15
    Folks, I'm currently in the Market for a new car, and have narrowed it down to three cars... Cadillac CTS, Infinity G35, and the Acura TL. Have test driven all three, and think I'm leaning towards the TL w/Navigation manual 6 speed. Here's my only concerns... there seems to be quite a bit of torquing to the right & left when pulling out... probably due to Front wheel drive... is this unusual? Can any of you give me any advise, as I'm hoping to land this between $33k- $33.4k... is this reasonable?
  • qwallsqwalls Posts: 406
    That price may be doable, depending on where you live. One of the main complaints of the 6-speed is the torque steer. The TL is an awesome car for the price.
  • kkftzkkftz Posts: 15
    I have only driven the TL Manual 6 speed (have not driven automatic)... and the only issue w/Manual was the torquing (which was quite noticeable). That said, torquing only seemed an issue in pulling out... for those that have test driven both, how do you like the automatic?

If I select the TL-manual, this may be something I just have to suck it up and live with. Has anyone driven the G35- manual? Any better??
  • qwallsqwalls Posts: 406
    The G35 is RWD or AWD, so you won't experience it.