Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    First time posting here, so I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet. Does anyone have any info, or heard any talk about what changes if any will be on the '06 TL. I just spoke with Honda about extending the lease on my '03 TL, with the hope of buying a 2006 model. I picked up my '03 in March of 2002 and I was also wondering about an early release date like they did with the '03 models. Any help will be welcome....thanks.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    We got 3+/- inches of snow in the DC area and I have a couple of issues to report on:

(1) The ABS braking system does not engage at low speeds and when it does engage, cuts off once the speed drops below about 5 mph. This is a bad design. My 1995 Maxima SE's ABS engages - and continues to function - at any speed until the car comes to a complete stop. Bringing you down to 5 mph and then having the brakes lock up, causing the car to drift sideways on icy roads, is poor engineering by Acura, IMO.

(2) My windshield washers froze up while I was returning from the Acura dealer. First the drivers side and then the passenger side as well. And the outside temperature was only 23 degrees and I had just had the washer fluid topped off at the dealership. I'll have this looked into, but was curious if anyone else has experienced this problem in cold conditions.

(3) I can attest (as point #1 might suggest) that the HPT tire package on the 6-speed is indeed a "summer" tire. The Potenza's do not handle packed snow and ice very well. I have plenty of snow experience, so I survived, but I did need to take a different way home than usual to avoid even slightly hilly streets.

P.S. fdcapt2: I am quite certain you won't see a 2006 TL until October+/- of 2005, since the 2004 & 2005 models conformed to the Acura's "standard" model year calander. I also doubt you will see any significant changes for the 2006. So unless you are getting a good deal to extend your lease, you might want to consider getting a 2005 when it's up.
  • brew99brew99 Posts: 86
    I have not noticed the ABS not engaging as you mentioned by will keep an eye out for it. I have not had any issues with the windshield washers freezing or the windshield freezing over for that matter. Are you using winter antifreeze? I would imagine that the Potenza's would be pretty interesting in snow!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I also have not noticed the ABS not engaging < 5 mph. But then I wasn't looking for it. Recently temperatures here got down to as low as -10 Celsius, which would be about 14 F, and my washers did not freeze up.
  • sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontPosts: 163
    My washers DID freeze when temp was about 14 F. I assumed that the fluid that came with the car was not rated at a low temp, and plan to keep an eye on it. I also have 6 MT w nav, and haven't noticed any problems with ABS and have driven on snow seveal times. I came back from an 800 mile trip to upstate NY and drove about 300 miles with snow on the all season Michelins that came with the car, and didn't have any problems. I have over 9000 miles in just 3 months.

By the way this question was asked a while back, but traction control does work in reverse.

2007 Miata, 2010 BMW 535xiT, 2010 GMC Sierra SLE, 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon

"By the way this question was asked a while back, but traction control does work in reverse."

Thanks. I was the one who asked. You read somewhere that it works, or you experienced first-hand?
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    1- I think the air conditioning display is too small and hard to read, when one is also looking out at the roads...

the car is quick and gets a lot of looks , even from the teen and 20 something crowds...which I am not a part of ....guess it is a cool car...
  • sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontPosts: 163
    I have to back out of my uphill driveway (in NY) and the traction control comes on when snowy.

2007 Miata, 2010 BMW 535xiT, 2010 GMC Sierra SLE, 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know 'cause I didn't think the VSA works when in reverse.
    There is a chance a friend will be unloading a pristine, 2002 X5, auto, with sport package. I know the family and I know they really really baby their cars. Not sure about the mileage but it would be low, since they hardly ever drive it to work and they don't take it on any long trips. I would have to ditch my TL plus probably ante up a few more dollars. I've always had a yearning for the X5 so I'm tempted. But so far I love my TL, so the practical side of me (is it right or left brain?) says don't do it. Why give up almost 3 model years.

Just curious as to what would you guys think about that?
  • brew99brew99 Posts: 86
    I think you'll regret it every time you go for service or repairs (which may be often), every time you fill up at the pump and of course every time you see a TL drive by......
    "every time you see a TL drive by...... "

You might be right there, my friend, you might be right!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,633
    VSA and traction control are two different things.. VSA may indeed turn off in reverse, while traction control is still activated..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

X5 musings...

1) What is the in-service date? '02 BMWs came with 3yr/36K maintenance included.. If that has not expired, you can buy a maintenance extension.. If they are past that date, you are out of luck..

2) If you are worried about warranty.. the original owner can buy a BMW extended warranty that mimics the CPO warranty that is included on CPO cars.. expensive, but maybe worth it.. They would have to buy it before the sale takes place..

3) Assuming you get the warranty, I wouldn't worry so much about model years.. Both cars will probably still depreciate at about the same rate from now on..

4) I would worry about the big financial hit you'll take selling your car so soon after purchase..

5) I think an updated X5 will be here for the '07 model year.. that is only 20 months away.. if that kind of thing factors into your thinking.

regards,

kyfdx

You're right on with points 4 & 5. Those considerations will likely stop me from the purchase as much as anything else. In fact, not even looking ahead to the '07 MY, the new Xdrive available now is something that I may not want to do without.
  • surfgebsurfgeb Posts: 24
    For NE I would definitely recommend snow tires. i just bought a set of Vredesteins for my 04 TL M/T and the difference is amazing.
  • dojadoja Posts: 19
    I'm not sure to which discussion group I should ask this question. A local dealer has a 2005 T/L W/NAV advertised as a 6 speed HPT. I thought 04/05 TLs only came with a 6 speed manual or 5 speed automatic. I had not heard of a 6 speed automatic. The only thing I found on the internet was the following:

"TL W/HPT package has everything that TL-S had, plus 6-speed transmission, better tires and upgraded brakes."

I haven't seen aything on this site about the 6 speed HPT. It's adverised for $200 over the MSRP of the 5 speed auto w/NAV.

Is this a 6 speed automatic? Does it have upgraded brakes? Any comments on the transmission? I know the 2000-2003 TLs had transmission problems. I'm not sure if I should take a chance on this transmission. Does anyone know about this particular version of the TL? Thank you.
    No, that's a 6-speed manual with High Performance Tire option. It comes with Brembo brakes.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,689
    ZF makes a 6 speed automatic for RWD cars - used in the Jag S type and others. Ford uses a FWD version in the 500. Mercedes just came out with a 7 speed automatic.
    "Mercedes just came out with a 7 speed automatic."

Techological overkill, IMO. You simply don't need that many cogs, especially with big, torquey engines.
  • Well I just bought a used '00 TL and I just found out that the BOSE CD Player in it dosent play the CD-R. I mean the CDs that I burnt myself. Is it just that way the Audio System works or is there a problem with my CD player.

Also,

As the Audio system in the car does not have an equalizer , I am planning to install a Pioneer FH-P5000MP which is an indash MP3/CD player. I am not sure whether this would fit into my car.

Can anyone reply to my questions above.

thanks in advance.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    Kelley Blue Book recently picked the top ten 2005 vehicles most likely to hold their value over the first five years. The listed is as follows:

Acura TL

BMW 5-series

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Lexus GX 470

Mazda RX-8

Mercedes-Benz CLK 320 Cabriolet

MINI Cooper

Nissan 350Z

Porsche Cayenne

Volvo XC90

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4022645&sr- c=LP%20luxury
  • sgsunnysgsunny Posts: 20
    Just got my 05 TL auto...loving it!! I read the manual RE: break-in (some babying in those 1st

200-600 miles..) I was curious about experiences/

thoughts fellow TL drivers have..Salesman here in

S. Florida recom the following:

NO BREAK-IN necessary; 1st oil chg at 3750, every

3750 miles thereafter; use premium fuel every 1-2

fillups, otherwise - middle of the road fuel s/b okay.

I do not want to do (or not do)anything that may

hinder performance or longevity.
  • armandarmand Posts: 178
    I was told to break in my "04 TL by the book and to change the oil as directed by the maintenance minder. I think the maintenance minder "knows" when you need an oil change and its far longer than every 3750 miles. In fact they recommend you leave the special break in oil that comes with the car until the maintenance minder tells you to change. Also I have used only premium gas - why spend that much on a car and not treat it right?
  • sgsunnysgsunny Posts: 20
    Thanks for your response..good point about the

premium fuel (probably not the place to count the

pennies!)
    Interesting list.. I'd have to take issue with the Mazda RX-8 and the Volvo XC-90.. If they are talking about depreciation from MSRP..

Both models had a load of dealer cash thrown at them at the end of the '04 model year.. That is the kind of thing that kills resale value for used models.... If they continue that, I don't see great resale on them..

Yup, I would use premium fuel all the way.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    If you have any doubt on what fuel to use, Acura puts a label on TL's fuel cap (inside) that says: USE PREMIUM -- just to make sure you push the right button! I laughed seeing that the first time I pumped the gas for my TL. Not that I know for sure using regular will hurt the engine, but when they 'hint' you like that, there's not $ense saving pennies out of it.

On ES it just says use 86 or above, but if you want 'improved performance' use premium. TL pretty much says it requires premium w/o actually spelling it out.
  • A couple of observations. If you drive 25,000 miles per year (a lot for non-business use), you will burn 1,000-1,250 gallons per year. Most premium fuel is $.20/gl higher so you will spend $200-$250 per year for premium vs. regular. This is a small price to pay to have maximum performance available at all times and to enjoy the confidence of meeting the vehicle's specifications. Secondly, Acura specs 91 octane fuel. In this part of the country, premium is 93. Another poster made the observation that he blends his fill-ups half and half with 89 and 93 to save a few pennies. Don't pay $35K for a high performance engine and cheap out on fuel.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    Today I attended one of the annual Motor Trend Auto Shows. I sat in many cars in the same price range and most all in the same class as the TL. The only car in the same class that was not present was the Infiniti G35. The TL's interior and quality of materials used was second to none. Some of the high end cars had nicer interiors, but those cars were also $10,000 - $15,000 more in price than the TL. Best of all the TL with 270 HP can smoke most of the cars in the same price range and class. Most of the cars in the same price range had HP in the 200 to 240 range. After attending this car show I felt pretty good about my decision to buy an 2005 TL.