Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,539
    I disagree... utterly and completely... lol... ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jam099jam099 Posts: 1
    I'm just over 6' and commute about 1 hour each way to work. With all the adjustment controls the seat has, I found with a little trial and error I was able to find a very comfortable position.
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    habitat1,

You may be right, but only time will tell. If the TL comes out with SH-AWD but is a heavy titan, then you're right. But if it comes out otherwise, it will fulfill what it currently hints at representing... Acura as a Sport-lux car, more BMW-like than Mercedes-like (certainly Audi would also be in competition with it, as would Infiniti, etc...). I doubt it would be as heavy as the RL (if so, how would they distinguish the cars?...they otherwise would have all the same features).

Don't even talk about RWD as we all know that Acura will do that about the same time they come out with a V8 model (anyone see cats and dogs living together yet? Didn't think so).

Bottom line, TL will be MORE competitive to the 3 series with a more RWD leaning platform than FWD. Many people today looking for cars dismiss the TL just because of the FWD. I can't say it will beat the BMW, but will certainly add an attractive alternative to the multitude of 3 series on the road, one that many may wish to take to be different...
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    Anyone knows what's that for/called? Some kind of deflector? I don't see that very common on other cars and wonder how necessary/useful that is? I did find that piece find some curbs it likes from time to time, and leave marks of it for sure.
  • armandarmand Posts: 178
    I assume it is to protect what ever is underneath it. I find it scraps a lot. I was told by my service guy that if I get it onto a curb too firmly, I could pull offf the whole front bumper when I backed away. Not good!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I thought it was some sort of underbody splash guard. There are actually a bunch of them --- one long one in the middle approx underneath the radiator. 2 short ones in front of the front tires. And, if I'm not mistaken, little short ones behind the front tires and also in front of the rear tires (not sure about these ones).
  • Many people today looking for cars dismiss the TL just because of the FWD.

I'm not sure there as many people in this category as you think. I'd argue that for every 1 true driving enthusiast willing to have 2 sets of wheels/tires to deal with winter snow there are probably 3 of us that don't care. Why? Because we never get the chance to drive on a track or a coastal highway where RWD would actually make a difference. You can argue from a purists point about the merits of BMW, but I'll still choose sharp looks, great sound, more room, and sweet 6 sp power for 10 grand less.
    I disagree. This isn't about the difference of 200 vs. 275 HP, this is RWD vs FWD. It is very obvious in any driving condition. In fact, its probably on a track or highway where it's least noticed as it mostly impacts the start. Once the car gets going, it is a bullet, and traction isn't an issue.

I notice the FWD every day when trying to accelerate from a stop sign. If there's any gravel on the road, the front wheels spin and the car starts to pull to the side.

You're right in that probably a lot of people buy the car for its looks and gadgets, but I think it could gain some "driving enthusiasts" from the 3 series if it were RWD or SH-AWD.
    I have to agree with wisngamecock....

Only.. I think for every true driving enthusiast that gets winter tires, there are probably 50 that don't care...

A true driving enthusiast will notice that FWD every day... and miss having RWD... But, there just aren't very many people like that..

regards,
    kyfdx

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    I understand message refers to occasional gravel on pavement. On a somewhat related topic of gravel, for those that still might have to drive on all-gravel roads, a FWD car such as TL (if you did not mind getting paint dinged up) is superior to a RWD in handling. Of course, an AWD car trumps the FWD on gravel.

Before the advent of AWD, "driving enthusiasts" (of an WRC mindset) relished taking their FWD foreign-make cars (Saab, etc.) out for drives on twisty, hilly remote gravel roads. Of course its even better now for them with availability of AWD.
  • ed31cincyed31cincy Posts: 56
    Had my '04 TL been made with RWD, I would have been even happier with it. I would have gladly shelled out the extra dough for a matching set of winter tires/wheels as I have done for my '95 Camaro.

I am glad this car has traction control. Even with it, it can be a handful off the line and into curves. I have not been brave enough to try it with the VSA off!
    Yes, you are correct, it is just some gravel on an otherwise paved road. Traditionally, the FWD cars are more stable that RWD ones as far as tail-spin, etc... however, I doubt there have been many studies of these new FWD power-beasts. I suspect trying to pull 275 or 300 HP thru the front tires may be no more stable than were it RWD. It just hasn't been studied. Certainly, FWD is more stable than RWD for 100 HP cars...

I guess I just notice the FWD deficiencies more because I usually drive AWD and the difference is more apparent...
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I very much like my TL 6-speed, FWD and all.

However, my previous point was that the TL's performance is absolutely limited by it's FWD set-up. We split time between two homes, one in DC and one in the snowbelt where they had an "average" winter last year with 115" of snow. I would STILL prefer a RWD TL with traction control and VSA to a considerably heavier TL with SH-AWD. At least if the result would be anything like the unimpressive performance of the RL.

At the risk of repeating, AWD, SH and all, still adds weight to a car and generally does not result in a 50/50 weight balance. If I'm going through heavy snow, I'll be in our MDX, not any sedan, period. I'm yet to be convinced that SH-AWD is better than RWD when it comes to handling. "Weigh" the facts and you will likely agree. Even a 330ix doesn't have the balanced nimble feel of a 330i, so it's not a BMW vs. Acura issue.
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Posts: 399
    Do you notice the VSA light on that often?

If the TL had been RWD, I would not have even considered it.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    How much is body-side molding, mud flaps and other assessories?
    Consumer Reports, in their test drive of the TL, said the TL was "deviod" of any pull due to FWD.
    Is there a host that can point me to an accessories tallk?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Sure thing! Here is a discussion specific to the TL;

Acura TL Owners: Accessories & Modifications

and we also have a couple of entire boards that might interest you:

Aftermarket & Accessories Board and Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification Board
    Consumer Reports is not exactly a test driving authority. I can assure you that torque steer in my TL 6-speed is considerably more noticable than on my old 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed (due primarily to the increased horsepower, I suspect).

CU is a decent source of reliability information, but even there they appear to have missed the transmission problems Acura and Honda have had with automatic transmission failures. I would rely on my own test drives for how the car performs and handles for my preferences, and let CU be the judge of how it might feel in the hands of my 70 year old mother in law.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Posts: 134
    Its called an Air dam. Its purpose is to funnel air up to the radiator. Most cars get the air required to cool the radiator from the bottom of the car rather than thru the grill.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,704
    As, I believe, that CU bases its reliability ratings on actual consumer (owner) feedback, maybe the tranny issue wasn't as widespread as believed here? Or the CU audience was very lucky with their trannys!

Great car (so far...), the TL.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

First CU tested the automatic which will tend to have less torque steer than the manual. They also test for the average driver not someone who pushes the car for max acceleration. They are interested in how the car will perform for a famuly type. My '04 TL (auto) has some occasional and very modest torque steer. I would never tell anyone who was going to drive the car is a "reasonable" fashion that torque steer is a problem
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    let CU be the judge of how it might feel in the hands of my 70 year old mother in law.

Now wait a minute. All of us, with some luck, genes and healthy lifestyles, will get to the 70s. I know of one person, Paul Newman, who raced in SCCA very competently, until early 70s. When I drive around the rich suburbs in my area, I see many persons who appear to be over 70 driving Mercs, BMWs and Porsches. I would like to think that their selections were based on performance more so than on prestige.
    I am a 71 year old driver of a "04 TL. I have always liked cars with some class. I also own a '05 BMW XiT. But in all honesty I don't drive them like I did 40 years a go.
    Note that I said MY 70 year old mother in law. She is not going to give Paul Newman a run for his money at the track. Although she does like his salad dressing.

Being that I'm pushing 50 and only reluctantly accepted our 2005 MDX as the first automatic transmission equiped car that either my wife or I have ever owned, I certainly don't think that age and driving enthusiasm are incompatible. Accept my apologies if my post suggested otherwise.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Posts: 294
    "MY 70 year old mother in law. She is not going to give Paul Newman a run for his money at the track. Although she does like his salad dressing"

Without weighing in on the substance of this sub-discussion, I just want to say this made me laugh. :)
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,364
    the second service done...and rotated the tires...

the car only has 12,000 miles...and the dealer said the car needs new tires and brakes...but we just drive it regular....use it to bring the kids to school and run errands...

is this normal ? I would think they would last at least 3 years...and its only been 10 months...
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    Don't have a Tl but sounds like the dealer is trying to pull a quick on on you. 12K miles is not that much. Do you have a performance tires or the all seasons? If you have the performance tires and drive like a madman/madwoman..possibly you do. But if you have all seasons, I can't see how.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Posts: 134
    It is impossible for the car to need brakes after just 12000 miles, unless something is wrong w/ the car.

Is this the first tire rotation you have done. It is very important that the tires be rotated every 5 to 6 thousand miles. If you wait too long to rotate the tires it will cause cupping on the rear tires and shoulder wear on the front.
    Well.. I wouldn't say impossible... but highly unlikely on a TL, if it is driven as you say.. If you had the HPT tire option, maybe.. but, if you are on all-seasons, then something smells...

Not that I would let them do the work, but drop by your local Tire Discounters, Tire Kingdom, Costco, or whatever you have in your area.. Don't tell them what your dealer said..

Just tell them you are leaving on vacation soon, and want to make sure your tires and brakes are in good shape... Ask them if they can do a quick inspection.. Most places will do this for free, but even if they charge $30, it will be worth it for peace of mind...

regards,
    kyfdx