Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    Front wheel drive coupled with wide low-profile tires. It is just the basic geometry of things. A small trade-off. I'd take the increased turning radius for the superior handling of low-profile tires.

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• mobofemobofe Posts: 51
    it's a minor trade off but in western MA where there are lots of long stretches of roads (i.e. route 9) where you gotta do u-turns to get to the other side, it b/c pretty damn sad that you gotta do a reverse, especially if there's a car parked on the other side.
  • raherraher Posts: 99
    It was the same on my 2000TL. I have a Dodge Durango SUV that will easily turn inside of the TL. It is a pain when you are trying to turn into parking spaces in lots where the lanes are narrow. It is a small annoyance however when weighed aagainst all of the things I really like about my new TL.
  • Why then, in my 4 cyl Honda Accord did I get 8-10% better gas mileage using Sunoco 94 premium fuel as opposed to using Sunoco 87?
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    During a recent test drive of TL I looked at the trip computer's numbers and saw no item of real time MPG; it has the Ave MPG. The salesman was not sure about it either. Can someone confirm if there's real time MPG on the trip computer for 04 TL?

Also on my three miles test drive the Ave MPG is 6, which is kinda low. Is that normal (it's local but not in bad traffic)?
  • dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    What can you possibly mean by "real time mpg"??? MPG is not spot measurement like speed, it's always measured over an elapsed time/spent gasoline. TL simply takes the amount of gas you burned since you reset the computer and divides it by the number of miles you drove since the reset. That's your MPG! There is no other possible kind of mpg that you can calculate.

As far a 6 mpg on your test drive, that's normal. Whenever you just reset your trip computer, you will get these kinds of numbers for the first few miles, especially if you stand a lot or drive very slowly through driveways, etc.
  • 1hopeck1hopeck Posts: 41
    I think what he is talking about is what is the MPG at any given time. and it is called instant MPG. And yes it can be calulated by speed and amount of throttle is being given at the time. I would the TL would at least provide this as cheap American made cars can do this.

IMO... My 97 Buick Park Avenue does this and also overall Avg. Also the Buick has Heads Up Display which I think all vehicles should have. If you have ever used this HUD, one would understand the importance of keeping ones eye straight ahead on the road.
  • aciampiaciampi Posts: 66
    Recently in cold weather I have noticed problems starting my TL. Every so often I have to hold the key in for about 10-15 seconds before the vehicle starts, then for about 20-30 seconds the whole vehicle shakes. Now tonight it started right up but it immediatly started shaking with a vibrating noise coming from under the hood and wouldn't go away until I steped on the gas. It almost seemed that like one cylinder wasn't working. And combining all the problems I'm having with starting sounds like a fuel injection problem. Has anyone else expierenced the same problems? I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow morning about it but I am still curious if anyone else is having the same problem or even know any reason why it is happening if my thoughts are incorrect.
    Thanks
  • I just read something interesting in the full review on this website...
    it says:

"As a safety precaution, one can only operate the system when the car is stopped — a good idea generally, as we don't think a driver should be messing with a touchscreen keyboard while driving."

First of all, can anyone verify if this is true on the new TL's??
    Now, I have a 2002 3.2TL, and i can use the nav while driving. Why would they mess with this and change it?
    Last thing I want, is to be lost in a bad area at night, and have to pull over and stop the car to enter a navigation address....that is pure stupidity!!!
    I can understand them not wanting to mess with it while driving, for safety reasons, but IT HAS VOICE ACTIVATION NOW!!!! HELLOOO?!?!?!?!
    the whole point of voice is to overcome the safety issues of manual input...so why would Acura not allow it to work?

Hopefully, this report was wrong, and nav input works while driving. Otherwise, that is a major beef I would have with the car, and hope that Acura will change that shortly...

anyone else agree??
    Marc
  • achadhaachadha Posts: 106
    anyone know where I can get good prices on a wing spoiler for my TL? Dealer charges way too much and installation from them is high as well. I was thinking of ordering it online and then having some mechanic or shop install it for me. Thanks
  • kahunahkahunah Posts: 448
    Please read post #5070 Review by 95gt.
    Was confirmed by dealer that TL does not show instantaneous MPG. Too bad, but granted, Ave. MPG means more in the long run. That said, it'd nice to see how/where you drive relates to MPG right away. Most trip computers do that (Lexus included), I don't get it why TL advances way ahead on some areas and then stay behind on some easy ones...

On Nav, I think all Honda/Acura's allow you to play with all NAV stuff while moving. Many others only allows limited features when moving for safety reasons.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    All you have to do to get "almost instant" mpg is reset it. I had this on an explorer and while it was fun to play with (how high can i get it coasting downhill?) it had absolutely no useful value. I think that's why it's not offered much anymore.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    I have a Lincoln nav system made by Navtech I believe. I can do everything except enter or search for a new destination while the car is moving. You can select a previous or saved destination.
    That's how Lexus works too. But all Honda/Acura's allows you to enter new address/destination right? That's the bulk of what's talked about here: be able to find a new place while driving. It's a trade off. For driver I think it's a good idea for safety reason, but what about when there's a passenger. I wish it all can be configured rather than one way for the other fixed.

When you reset Ave MPG you still won't see any instant MPG as it will wait for 15 sec. and 'ave' out. I agree ave. is more useful but instant one does tell you how good or bad the MPG is in certain driving pattern or considtion. It's just SW?
    I have a Lexus with ML and was trying the XM radio on TL during a test drive yesterday. I honestly don't really feel the sound is any richer, fuller or crispier than ML. I can feel the surround and some multi-channel effect, but the sound itself does not sound as 'studio-like' as ML. Maybe the the whole cabin is not as quiet as ES or the interior materials in ES are more 'sound-friendly'. Anyway it's good but I am expecting something better than ML and I don't think that's the case. It's certainly better than the base Lexus audio and most of other factory-installed ones. I also noticed that when you sit on the rear the sound seems to be limited from the rear speakers. It's like there's a wall in the middle blocking the front speakers'. Mmmm.
  • raherraher Posts: 99
    The TL audio when playing regular CD's or XM or just am/fm is as good as any sound system in any car out there. The difference is when you play DVD audio or hybrid SACD discs. The TL 5.1 system leaves them all behind at that point. It truly is surround sound. While there are a limited number of DVD discs out right now, I believe you will start seeing an increase as more manufacturers eventually follow Acura's lead. There are many more hybrid SACD's but they are not as good as DVD audio discs but are better than normal CD's in my opinion.
  • 1hopeck1hopeck Posts: 41
    Are the seat backs of the 04 TL heated also? I would assume so as this seems to be the standard for the auto industry.
  • ewoqewoq Posts: 37
    I'm not aware that it is an industry standard to have heated rear seats. I know that Audi's and Infiniti G35s have them, likely as an option. Perhaps the top luxury cars may have them - S body Mercedes , Lexus LS, BMW 7 series, Audi A8, .....?
  • grri03grri03 Posts: 11
    Yes - the TL's driver's seat is heated both bottom and back. The passenger just the bottom because it has sensors for the passenger's position so as to adjust the airbag deployment scheme on that side. To preempt the question of why just on the passenger side: because that's where the most variable sized person would be and could be leaning down, etc. while the driver is expected to be sitting in a driving position and facing forward.