Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bmwdougbmwdoug Posts: 248
    I want to buy a 06 TL with Nav. Are there any other Dealer Options that should be added? Or, is the car could to go?

Also, what color combination would you choose? Black on Black, Black on Grey, Black on Tan, or Silver on Grey, Silver on Black, or White on Tan?
  • Went back and read many messages discussing tires. I have 23K on original Bridgestone tires and hated them from the day I bought the car. Just want to get the best tires when it comes to tread wear, handling and more importantly - safety. Never felt safe in original Bridgestone tires driving in the rain. Car will not be driven in the snow. Thanks for the help.
  • bplayerbplayer Posts: 56
    Are you going to buy the car that we want or the one that you want? Go to the Aura web site and pick your selections.

The basic car is great as is. Common accessories are all season floor mat, wheel locks, and splash guards.

You also need to decide between manual (6MT) and automatic (5AT). The enthuasistic drivers all choose 6MT.

Exterior colours tend to be regional:
    - Black (NBP) for those perfectionist who can spend a lot of time professionally cleaning and waxing
    - White (WDP) for areas with little or no snow, also good for hot regions
    - Anthracite (AM) great all round

Interior colour may drive the external colour. Parchment is beautiful, but is not available with all exteriors. Black on black, or silver on grey is too much of the same thing, no contrast.

I personally chose Silver (ASM) with ebony. Only you can decide what is right for you. Go search some forums that have pictures with custom mods, but be warned, you may end up spending more than you planned.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I replaced the HPT tires (Bridgestone Potenza) on my 04 TL 6-speed with Avon Tech M500's recommended by Tire Rack. They were higher rated and less expensive than Michelins and had better treadwear ratings than Potenza S02's, which I was considering. the Tire Rack guys did a good job of talking me out of spending $220 per tire. The Avon's were $520 for a set of 4, including shipping.

So, far, with only about 2,000 miles on the Avon's, I'm very pleased with the ride and handling.

Also, I "upsized" to 245/45/17" tires from the 235's that came standard. The TL wheels are very wide - wider by at least 1" than our MDX wheels. As such, I got the slightly wider 245's hoping to cut down on the likelihood of scraping the wheels on curbs. That was actually a recommendation of my Acura service manager.
    Bplayer, thanks for the advice. I want to hear opinions, so I can make a better decision. I always gather information and opinions from others before I make a decision. So, this forum is helpful in that regard. I was leaning toward Black, but I live in Central California where it is HOT. But, the TL has a wonderful climate system, so the Black most likely will not matter so much in that regard, it is probably more of a cleaning issue. I am also considering White, and Silver. Anthracite is a nice addition, I will try to find a TL in that color to look at in person for comparison and consideration. As far as interior colors, I think they are all nice. Again, as you mentioned, it does depend on the exterior color.

As for the options, Navigation is a must. Floor mats, wheel locks, and splash guards seem to be a reasonable addition as well. I believe this is the pro pack. Am I correct? I think the Standard Wheels are pretty nice. I know some people on the forum have gone with 18" wheels. What is the main reason for the 18" wheels? Is it for a sporty appearance, ride?

If anyone else has any opinions, please share.

Thank you.
  • Regarding color, I always choose the interior color 1st. I figure that' where I spend most of my time, so that's my main concern. My preferred interior color is the "camel," or, as I usually call it, the medium tan. I think it's very classy-looking and different fromt he standard tan. I believe you can only get it with a red or black exterior. While I think a clean black ext with camel int would look the nicest of all combonations, I'd probably go with the red, for heat & maintenance reasons.

My TL is the discontinued green exterior with the camel interior. I love it!!!
  • bplayerbplayer Posts: 56
    18" wheels is appearance and stamping an individual personality on the car. It has been reported that you should not use them unless you also upgrade to the sport suspension. This will prevent your tires will wearing out quickly.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    Just for clarification, regarding interior color combos with the Camel interior, for 06 you can only get camel w/ a red or black exterior. However, for 05's you can also get camel with Abyss Blue.
    Hope this helps. :shades:
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    Actually, now that I think about it, I believe you can also get the Camel interior w/ the Anthracite exterior for 05 as well. There might be even more colors for 05 that come with the Camel interior but it is ALL irrelevant because the gentleman was looking to buy an 06 not an 05......I'll stop while I'm not ahead. ;)
  • roddrodd Posts: 1
    Is premium gas required for the TL? I am thinking of buying a 2006 w/Nav. I currently drive a 2003 Honda Accord EX and have never owned an Acura. :confuse:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,652
    Yesterday I cut the lawn. While it was snowing. The snow intensified and by 7pm the world here was white. Lovely, but sloppy.
    Today, 65 degrees, all the snow is gone and I washed/Zaino Z6 my '05 Abyss Blue TL. Lovely. My neighbor is cutting his lawn in t-shirt and shorts. Maybe I should have waited a day...
    Now, off to the Lexus dealer to get the evil wife's RX washed and check out the new IS. I'm waiting for the rumored hardtop convertible.

Yes, the TL requires 91 octane premium. Always a hot topic of discussion.

Going to Gillette tonight to see the Pats crush the Bills. I hope. Welcome back, Tedy.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    Is premium gas required for the TL

It is recommended. There are many discussions on the TL boards about this. I recommend you do a search.

The short answer is YES though. Performance and gas mileage go down when you go below 91 octane. My opionion (as well as those of many others) is that if you are going to pay $30K+ for a car, you can afford the extra 20 cents/gallon to get all of what you paid for.
  • nb06nb06 Posts: 4
    Anyone know what the TL stands for?

thx.
  • I believe I recall another poster on this forum explaining that it stood for "Touring Luxury."
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    http://www.informedforlife.org/CRSriskorder.pdf

The TL is #4 on the list while the RL is #1! Now, that IS impressive.

Check out also the detailed explanation (it puts it all in perspective) of why 5 Star crash safety ratings are not good enough:

http://www.informedforlife.org/why.htm
  • We just ordered the white diamond pearl w/nav and parchment interior. The parchment comes automatically (I believe) with the wood accents versus the metal. It is lovely. We are having the dealer add the door molding and splash guards. Window tint, door edge guards, and wheel locks come with the sales price. We are picking it up on 11/11. We test drove the black with the saddle (tan) interior and that is one very striking combination. The saddle is a little too orangey for me but the first glance is impressive.

BTW, we are driving our new baby from Phoenix (where we purchased) to Denver. I've heard in the past that you need to be gentle with new cars until the first 1K miles. Is that urban legend or for real?
  • ljay2ljay2 Posts: 9
    Re: break-in driving. The 2005 owner's manual (I got my 2005 last month) says that during the first 600 miles you should try to vary your speed (meaning engine speed, I think), and not hit the brakes too hard. Check your 2006 one.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Keeping RPM's under 5,000 (6-speed) and varying highway speed (avoid using the cruise control) for the first 1,000 miles is all that I was told.

However, when I recently purchased a Porsche, they strongly advised against driving the car for short hops for the first 1,500-2,000 miles. The rule they gave was: don't turn the engine on, if you are going to turn it off in less than 20 minutes. The reason being is that it takes that long for the 9+ quarts of Mobile 1 to reach full operating temperature. During break in, you want the car to at least achieve that, before turning it off.

When I mentioned this to my Acura service manager, he absolutely agreed. He is a former Mercedes/AMG service technician and that is what they would tell anyone buying those cars - especially the AMG models. He did say, however, that the TL, with only about 5-6 quarts of oil, hits full operating temperature in about 10-15 minutes in 50+ degree weather.

I think I generally followed that procedure subconsciously on my previous cars, but now that I know it - and the mechanics behind it - I'll make it a point in the future.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Posts: 134
    I am sorry but you cannot compare a Porsche or an AMG Mercedes to a TL. The break in period for the TL is not that complicated. The only thing you need to do is drive like you have good sense. That means no aggressive accelerating or braking for the first 1000 miles.
    I hate to nit pick, but the TL only holds 4 quarts of oil. :D
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I agree about the differentiation between a TL, and one of the high-end exotics. Cars like the TL are meant to be everyday beaters. Proper theoretical break-in procedures notwithstanding, they can't expect people to avoid short trips if they need to drop kids off at school,to piano lesson, run to the local drug store for diapers, etc.

(But habitat's information is useful reference nonetheless)
  • In case any of you are keeping tabs on it, Edmunds updated its log on its Long Term TL Test.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    Does anybody know why the HP is down on the 2006 TL? I believe the 06 list at 260 hp and my 05 is at 270 hp.
  • yakuzayakuza Posts: 15
    The engine is identical for '04, '05, and '06 models. It's just that the METHOD for measuring horsepower has changed to a new standard this year so the true horsepower under the new standard is 258 hp.
  • Doug, I've called the Acura division of Honda corporate and their answer to your question is "no." I am interested in purchasing a TL but it looks like I'll be waiting until at least December!
  • Lemme get this straight, they are telling you that the ipod adapter will NOT work on the 06 TL? What have I been waiting for then? What is it for then? :mad:
  • podrespodres Posts: 58
    Did Acura corporate say that the iPod adapter will work on TLs that are shipped in December? That's not far away, and I view the iPod development as a major improvement in the electronics of the car (even though I don't yet own an iPod!) I will gladly wait 6 - 12 weeks if necessary to grab that feature, but it is not clear when the iPod rollout will reach the TL. My dealer told me it will be available only on the TSX, but that sounds too weird to be true. Especially when the September press release said (IIRC) that in December the iPod feature would be built into the majority of Acuras.

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.
    I've been shopping at Honda. They now tell me that the iPod gizmo will soon be available on the Civic ONLY. This would correspond to the concept that the iPod thing-a-ma-jig will be available only on the TSX, not the TL.

What the ????????
    According to an Acura Press Release dated 9/7/05. ALL 06 TL's, TSX's, MDX's, and RL's will be able to be fitted with the Ipod Adapter, which will allow voice command control of an Ipod. It is my understanding that all 06 have the wiring for the adapter, the dealer will install the adapter when it becomes available. It will fit in the glove compartment.

This is a feature I want as well, and I want to KNOW FOR SURE that this information is correct. I am ready to buy a 06 TL, but I want it to be able to handle the Ipod adapter. I would think Acura could get sued if all the 06's listed in their press release as having the adapter don't work with it. Here is the Acura Press Release:

ACURA
    SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Acura today unveiled the Acura
    Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and
    Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to
    listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the
    2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers
    to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the
    standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura
    Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or
    VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system
    controls.

"We are very excited to partner with Apple and offer the Music Link
    accessory to our Acura customers," said Stony Furutani, manager of Acura
    accessory marketing. "Acura vehicles are equipped with the latest audio
    technology and we are pleased to expand the audio experience to iPod users."
    "We're thrilled to team up with Acura, to provide drivers with a seamless
    iPod experience," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPod product
    marketing. "Car companies are embracing the iPod, and over 30% of the cars
    sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod integration."

The Acura Music Link adaptor provides outstanding sound quality while
    charging the iPod battery at the same time by a cable conveniently located in
    the glove compartment. The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December
    exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers. Suggested retail
    pricing for the Acura Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer
    installation charge. Acura Music Link is backed by a full Acura factory
    warranty. Consumers should check with Acura dealers for specific
    restrictions.
    Yes, I saw the press release. Honda and Apple issued similar press releases on the same day. Now I have a Honda dealer telling me it will not be available on the 06 Accord, only the 06 Civic; and an Acura dealer telling me it will not be available on the 06 TL, only the 06 TSX.

How can you get to the bottom of this? Frankly, I'm considering waiting until 07 if I have to. This iPod gizmo makes the CD changer almost extraneous. Who needs 6 CDs when you can control your iPod with your steering wheel buttons and see the readout on your Nav display?
    Podres, I agree with you. I want one of these units in my new TL. I am ready to buy now, but I will not buy unless I know I can have the Ipod Adapter, which will work with the navigation system, and use voice command. Does anyone know how we can find out if this feature is going to be fitted onto all 06 TL's, including the 06 TL's on lots now?

Maybe someone from Edmunds or Acura will read this and find out the real story.