Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• I noticed that Honda/Acura redesigns their vehicles every 4 yrs or so?
    Honda Accord style was 98-02,
    Acura TL style was 99-03

Any reports out of a redesign for the TL?
  • i was just wondering what other features come with the Tl from the States that the Canadian Version doesnt have?
    :confuse:
  • I checked at the dealer, and it's a no go. The bars on the RL headrest are a different distance apart than in the TL.
  • satellite radio for sure,It would have been nice if they had included satellite radio in Canada.
  • US has fog lights, while Canadian has daytime running lights (DRL).

Canadian also has low washer fluid warning and larger washer fluid container.
  • wymanwyman Posts: 13
    There are different color choices in US vs Canada. Canada typically gets fewer color choices but is the only place to get Carbon Bronze Pearl.
  • I would not expect one anytime soon maybe 2009. The Acura MDX and RSX need a redesign first as both models are showing their age.
  • All, I read a lot about what kind of tires to purchase for winter. I've left the standard factory tires on for my first winter in the Acura. I live in southeastern Michigan where we've already received a good foot of snow before the end of December. I drive on a couple country roads on my way to/from work, as well as about a mile of dirt road (I think the plows forget about it most days). So far the car has handled just fine in the snow. I find that popping it into the manual transmission mode helps a great deal. I was all set to drop $700 - $1,000 on tires/rims but I'm going to stick with the stock tires.

- Rob
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Rob, what kind of mpg are you getting with the TL? It is auto trans, right?
  • Is there a way to change the sound to the DVD surround sound? I would like to hear XM Radio in this but I can't find how to do it.
  • i think we do have the xm radio. the papers that the salesman gave me said something about the xm feat and that it only free for 2 months.
  • ive noticed that they get so much more colors. i wish they gave us a better variety too!! is there anything else?
  • i totally agree the those 2 models are so played out now. i think they said the rsx will be replaced with a new model car. if true cant wait to see that car!
  • I'm afraid I don't know what sort of mileage I'm getting. I suppose I could look in the various trip details...but I never do. I fill it up with gas, then drive, then fill it up again when it needs it. :-) Hate to sound so simple but I've just never concerned myself w/the cost of gas, particularly when driving a $30,000 car that I absolutely love. In fact there are some days when I go 100 mph in the TL and take advantage of it's cornering abilities (not in the snow of course!) and then look down to see I've used up a bit of gas. The only thought that comes to mind is...MAN, that was well worth it!

By the way, I DID get stuck in snow tonight! But it was my own fault and I think most non-four-wheel-drive vehicles would have been stuck in my predicament. I was driving too slow, talking on the cell phone and turning a corner on a country road that hadn't been plowed and I hit about 10-12" of messy snow going very slow and uphill. Bam...stopped dead. I backed her up and ran through it the next time - AFTER I put the phone down.

- Rob
  • I don't understand your question. Both the DVD/CD player and XM play out of the same speakers. DVD music discs sound deeper and richer b/c there's more there.
  • Not that I would... but.... before ordering my '06 TL ... more than one salesperson said the car runs well on regular.

Any inputs? Or bad experiences?
  • jwatsjwats Posts: 72
    I am looking at a '98 TL with 98,000 miles and a fastidious owner--who has not driven the car in winter ( an important factor in Minnesota) and majority of miles are highway. Service records exist, always synthetic, but I am having a thorough pre-purchase inspection done by a local acura independent garage who says these are very durable cars and often go 200,000 miles. I think I can buy the car for about $7,500.

I welcome any insights

1. can I expect another 50,000 relatively troube free miles? What is realistic? I drive gently with a car of this kind
    2. are there any known defects?
    3. any particular inspection questions?

thanks
    John
    Does this vehicle have the 4-speed auto or 5-speed auto?
  • jwatsjwats Posts: 72
    3.2 200 HP with 4 speed
    OK, that is good because Acura had some major problems with the 5-speed auto.
  • Acura recommends Premium (91 Octain). 93 Octain is a little over kill. However, the VTEC engine is designed with Octain sensors, so it will work with Regular gas at a slight loss of performance. Regular gas will NOT harm the engine.
    Regards,
    Robert
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    clipper,

If you do a search on this or some of the other TL forums on edmunds, you will find extensive conversations in regards to your question.
    In short, sure you can put regular in your TL. However, be advised:
    (1) Would you really want to use regular gas in your 35k performance sedan to save a couple of bucks at the pump?
    (2) You will get less gas mileage by using regular gas.
    (3) Acura recommends using premium, why do something other than what the manufacturer recommends?
    (4) Do you want to give up performance?

Hope this helps. ;)
  • >>Not that I would... but.... <<

Don't take this the wrong way, but with an opening statement like that, why are you asking?

I own a '05 TL and the salesperson (who seems very knowledgeable) told me they run just fine on regular gas. He said this AFTER I signed the paperwork so I don't think he had any reason to lie to me. I'm not a student of this topic but from what I remember reading on this board Acura at one time said you should use premium gas, then later (or earlier?) said you could use regular gas...all while referring to the same engine.

I've used regular gas since day one and have not noticed any issues. Is my gas mileage suffering? I don't know. Is performance suffering? If it is, I'm not aware of it - I love the performance of the car.

- Rob
  • The first thing I would ask is if the Timing Chain has been replaced. That's about a $900.00 replacement and is not optional after 90k miles. ALso, pay close attention to the Transmission. Make sure there isnt a noticeable lag when you jump on it. I had to replace mine at 100k (Acura agreed to install a new one for 950.00 since I had such a good service record.) Other then that it sounds like a very good used car and your doing the right thing by getting it checked out by certified garage. As a current owner of a 96 TL with 154,000 miles on it, I can vouch for the durability of these cars. You should easily get another 50k.
  • I cannot tell from either the brochure or website.

Thanks.
  • The '04 does - I can't see Acura getting rid of it in a future year.
  • Yes it does have a trip computer
  • rambo5rambo5 Posts: 37
    Any news on the above dealer installed Ipod adapter? Has anyone taken the plunge?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Yes, the TL does have what they call a trip computer - but it's more like a 1980's Commodore than an 2005 Power Mac.

You can scroll though a couple of items on a small trip display screen on the right side of the guage cluster and get either average trip MPG or remaining range, but not both. And, as I recall, you lose the trip odometer display and outside temperature display when you are in the 'trip computer" mode.

The MDX has a better trip computer, with both instant and average mileage, remaining range, outside temperature, etc. all diplayed on the navigation screen. Unfortunately, then you lose the navigation map (but not voice directions).

But, just to put things in perspective, there is no Honda/Acura product that I would recommend more highly than our old S2000, and it had no such "gizmos" whatsoever. Nor climate control, power seats, heated seats, Bluetooth phone, DVD audio,.... But it was a blast to drive and the best built model in the entire line-up. :)
  • All 2004 - present Acura TL's came equipped with XM radio standard. As an ongoing agreement between XM radio, customers who purchase vehicles equipped w/ XM will get 3 mths trial period absolutely FREE!!! That way you may sample all programs they have to offer. After that, you may opt for a month to month subscription, a 1 yr subscription and a 2 yr subscription. Or, you may opt not to renew your subscription. I guarantee you will find something you like and will love the XM radio!!!