Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    leadfoot6,

I bought the lip spoiler off of ebay for a grand total of $66.00. It was a genuine Honda spoiler with a Honda part #. It was painted already from the factory to match my car (Abyss). I got it installed for $50.00 making the grand total for parts and labor- $116.00. I believe I got a pretty good deal considering the dealer wanting about $350.00 part/labor when I purchased the car. Hope this info helps.
    Do you have a spoiler on yours? If so, which one?
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    What tires you get with the TL is not a random thing. The TL with NAV comes with the Michelins; the TLs without NAV have the Bridgestones. Am I right?
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    I was looking at the wing spoiler, but I think I like the lip spoiler better. Less obvious.

Does the lip spoiler applied with adhesive only? It seems like you could install it yourself.
  • glenn386glenn386 Posts: 47
    My TL is non navi with michelins

if I got a rare bird, or if the dealer switched them out with a navi unit ...then I was just lucky.

You could be totally right about the mich/nav and bridgestone/non navi, It wouldn't be the first time a salesman told me something that wasn't right. I am just happy I have the michelins, what ever the reason.

thanks
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    Yes, it is applied with adhesive but you also have to drill two holes and there is a trunk support lever that also has to be placed on the inside of the trunk. If you were so inclined, I would imagine that you could install it yourself without much hassle. ;)
  • jrourkejrourke Posts: 72
    I asked about the tires when I was looking at the dealer too. Salesman told me all TLs came with the Bridegstone EL42s, however they did offer a dealership upgrade that put Michelins on. I spot checked a couple of cars and they all had Bridgestones, but I neglected to note if they were nav or not since my interest is without nav.
    Thoughts on if a good or bad idea to consider a remote start option since it's not a factory install? Local dealer contracts out to a company offering packages from $400 to $800 from a basic remote start to a combo alarm. Low end disables the car remote unlock and does something with embedding the valet key and using a new fob. Higher end packages are more sophisticated, but replace the factory fobs with the remote start ones which will unlock the doors.

I would like a remote start, but it seems pricey to get a decent system and I don't know how I feel about whatever electrical things they do to use the replacement fobs. Never had this in a car before so I suppose I wouldn't miss it.

Thanks
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I would stay away from anything aftermarket, especially low-end stuff. My guess is Honda should have their own remote-start accessory for the TL before too long, since they have one for the Civic already.
    Fog lights on the TL are kind of strange being integrated up with the regular headlights. Doesn't look like they do this on the TSX & RL. I don't drive with my fogs on as a general rule, but use them a few times a year in real fog or heavy snow where they actually do make a difference which surprised me the first time I used them. I always assumed they were effective because they were low to the ground. SInce that's not the case in the TL, I was wondering if they were really functional as fog lights or just gave a cosmetic effect?

Thanks
  • crmanncrmann Posts: 2
    I have 700 miles and have been getting 15-16 mpg in suburban driving. Short highway trips, but no traffic jams. Has anyone else experienced anything close to this?
    That sounds like typical mpg. Try pure urban driving...then you'd see the mpg drop even more. :cry:
  • dap2006dap2006 Posts: 68
    I have 3900 miles on my '06. It's almost all urban driving and I like to punch it from time to time - I get 19 mpg. On the highway I get 28 - 29 mpg. Excellent as far as I'm concerned... :)
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    I find the fog lights useful in rural driving, especially when there are tree lines near the road. I can see the furry woodland creatures musch sooner with the fog lights on.

But I wish they would put the fog lights where they belong, low and near the sides. :mad: It is such a kick-a$$ look.
  • murkymurky Posts: 9
    Does anyone have any idea when they will redesign the current body style of the TL? I am looking to purchase a TL soon, but was wondering how much longer they will keep the current body style. Could it possibly be with the 2008 model?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The 2004 was a redesign. Prior redesign was 1999.
  • murkymurky Posts: 9
    So I'm assuming they will redesign the 2009 model.

If I were to sell a 2006 model in 2009 (after the new body style were released), will it affect my resale value?
    But I wish they would put the fog lights where they belong, low and near the sides. It is such a kick-a$$ look.

I agree it's a more attractive sporty look. Oh well...I was afraid they may not work as well because they weren't in the traditional low to ground location. THanks
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Posts: 151
    I am going to bet that Acura is going to move them back down when they refresh the car either this year or next.
  • emlawemlaw Posts: 3
    Is there any way to program out that chime that sounds when you exit the TL with the headlights in the "on" setting? Gosh, that's irritating.
    The only way is to turn the switch to "off", or close the door really quickly. :P

Actually I think Honda got confused. They should have used the lights-on chime for the keyless remote lock confirmation beep, which is barely audible, unless you got your ear against the front fender! :sick:
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    yeah, that's one persistent "glitch" that they really need to fix...
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds.com Forums may not be used for buying or selling anything - a couple of posts have been removed.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    looking to maybe buy a 2006 TL. does it really not have automatic heeadlamps? this seems very odd, no?
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    You can leave them on all the time and they will turn off when you leave the car, but they do indeed not turn on automatically at night.

The real annoying thing is the alarm/chime when you leave the car with the lights on, telling you that they're on...even though they turn off by themselves...
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    so basically in a $35k car, you have to turn the lights on manually? yet they spent the money to put in the chime and switch to turn the lights off automatically?

honda is usually better than this. somehow they missed the boat on this one.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    so basically in a $35k car, you have to turn the lights on manually

What's so hard about turning on the headlights?

Plus the car is $31-$32K. But you can pay $35K.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    you have to turn the lights on manually

Technically, you can leave them on all the time.

I'm not sure this is the reason, but I heard that Honda purposely didn't do that to avoid the problem of drivers not turning their lights on when they need them, whether it be during a sunshower or whatever. My source might be giving Honda too much credit :P
    I doubt that's the real reason. That's likely from some dealer's spin department! My take on it is that it has to do with Honda's corporate philosophy, or mission statement, if you will. Honda was, and is, first and foremost, an engine company. If you look back at their history, they are often innovators in engineering features, whether it's the original CVCC engine, or the i-Vtec, or 4W-steering, or ATTS, or SH-AWD, etc. But they have consistently lagged behind the competition in terms of implementing luxury items and other creature-comfort amenities into their models. And automatic headlights fall into the latter category. Toyota's had them for years in the mass-market Camry. But you'd have to go all the way up to the RL to get that in a Honda model. Look at the luxury features in the Lexus LS. It'll take years before you'd see that stuff in a Honda or Acura model.
  • mvc_jonesmvc_jones Posts: 88
    Interesting read on Honda/Acura and technology/luxury, as I always thought their use of Bluetooth, well-designed NAV, voice activation, well planned coordination in the 2004+ TL of NAV with basic car functions, and other features were generally ahead of the competition in terms of technology/luxury compared to others at the same time in the same price range.... Don't most people laud the TL for its long list of features? Agree about the absence of auto-headlights, but seems like a small omission compared to other standard TL equipment...
  • emlawemlaw Posts: 3
    Hey, let's not lose the main point here; the TL DOES HAVE auto-headlights. The annoying part is that even when the auto-headlight feature is activated, and the headlights will automatically turn off in 15 seconds (or whatever), the chime STILL SOUNDS as if you've forgotten something. Same thing when you open the door to get in. I don't think there is any other car with the auto-headlight feature that is programmed that way. My hope is that they will let dealers know how to cut or disconnect a wire to shut it up.