Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• I think that if they really want to impress me on the upcoming TL's i would tell them to have as an option that you can get the all wheel drive as the RL does. Because in a car like that that has so much potential of being a PERFECT performance luxury vehicle so why not? and just as a small thing to change move the center console up about 4 inches to the front making it easily accessible and right underneath where my arm rests at. i would like to hear all the things yaw would like improved in the next years and details why. also what the should add. I love hearing this kind of info because when i see a car i see the things that can be improved upon and love figuring out how to make it better.... OPEN FOR DISCUSION
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Posts: 139
    You do know that the cushion on the console slides forward, right?

Dave
  • boe_dboe_d Posts: 66
    What the heck is with that cupholder cover? It made me think of some cheap 70's datsun type cover. BLEAH
    In case anyone is interested, I posted a couple of polls on hybrid TLs. I'm concerned that the Acura TL hybrid won't get better gas mileage. I realize there are some people that don't care about that and just want more HP but that is why Acura is releasing the TL-S. Why not have some 0-60 in 4 second model and not care about mpg and have one with similar specs to the current TL but with 25% better fuel economy?

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1491796#post1491796
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    Personally, I don't understand the logic of
    making a high performance hybrid car or SUV.
    There really wouldn't be that much
    improvement in gas mileage. For example,
    The Lexus RX400h should have had maybe
    something like 240 horsepower since the
    RX350 has 270 hp now. That way there would
    have been better mpg's than what the 400h
    is getting now.

Toyota seems to have gotten it right with
    the Camry's as far as their hybrid model and
    the V6 models. The hybrid gets 190hp, but
    still has very good pick-up. I believe it
    gets to 60 in 7.3 seconds??? Whereas, the
    V6 Camry gets 270 or 272 hp., thus even
    better acceleration numbers with less mpg's,
    although still decent mpg's. I think this
    has hurt the sales of the RX400h. You've
    got the increased premium to drive one plus
    the gas mileage is not that great.
    So, I say, if they should decide to come out
    with a hybrid TL, make sure it's got a little
    less hp's than the standard V6. You'll also
    see better gas mileage.

Just my two cents.
    Max, look at the Accord hybrid. The specs aren't that much different than the current TL but MPG is 20% better. This is using the first gen batteries and no plug in option. The Prius has nearly doubled the MPG using new Lithium cell technology and a plug in feature. You could still have the same get up and go of the current model and probably exceed 40mpg using the new batteries and plug in feature. I don't expect them to make a major overhaul by the 2007 model but it is doable for 2008 and should definitely be available in the 2009 model.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    OK - now i've seen it all. The new Nissan versa econobox comes with an available keyless start system (no doubt like the G's system). What is Honday waiting for.

Now having seen it on a car this inexpensive, I wonder if were not too far from keyless start being as common as power door locks.

as for me, I love the TL, but the fact that it lacks this feature is holding me back...
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Is this really a concern? Is it that hard to insert a key and turn?

I looked at many cars with this feature - but still don't see the big advantage - I am missing something? Or Maybe I'm just getting old.

A few years ago I was coming out of Walmart - a young girl - maybe 19 - was parked right by my car. She ask - can you help me? I think my remote is broken or has a dead battery - I can't unlock my car - I say - sure - I took her key - walked over to her car door - put it in the lock and opened the door! She said something like - I didn't know you could do that! 19 years old and has never unlocked a car with a key.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,652
    I agree on tht point. Keyless start, fine if the car comes standard with. But a deal breaker? You never know. I remember one poster ranting and raving against Acura because the TL did not have turn indicators in the side mirrors like the TSX! But, one man's garbage is another man's treasure...

Two more coats of Zaino Z2 on the Abyss Blue today. I just can't seem to stop! I need help. :shades:

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• crazykrucrazykru Posts: 1
    I am being quoted $32,478 for a TL without navi. For what I read that is what people are paying for a TL with navi. Is this guy trying to pull something on me? :cry: He refuses to go down on this price...Will someone tell me what a good OTD (out the door) price for the TL without navi would be? I am in the chicago area....

Thanks
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Actually I prefer the conventional key ignition. It's more foolproof. With keyless start, one could potentially accidentally walk away without turning off the engine. If it is like the system in the RL, where you have to actually turn a "key" attached to the ignition, then a big NO THANK YOU! With a conventional key, you have to have turned the engine off before you can remove the key and lock the car. It is also easier for a high-tech thief to steal your car with a keyless ignition system. That's because keyless systems utilize 2-way communication between the car and the fob. And apparently a thief can sit close to you and read the code from your fob.
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    But I thought I read somewhere that the
    Accord Hybrid sales are very low for some
    reason. I still think that maybe the Accord
    Hybrid would sell better if the hp was slated
    a little less than the Accord gasoline V6.
    I can't recall what the hp or the mpg's are
    on the Accord Hybrid right now. But I think
    it would be a better seller if it had less
    hp's and even better mpg's.
    max,

I wouldn't be surprised if they are low - it is not well advertised compared to the prius or standard accord. Also not many dealers seem to have them - I went to several dealers and many didn't have any. I wouldn't buy a car I couldn't test drive.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Here's a good resource for you: Acura TL: Prices Paid & Buying Experience. The first thing I'd do is use the Search This Discussion feature (on the right just above the first post and just below the last) for Chicago. But what others are paying elsewhere will also be generally helpful.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    TL's with NAVI are going for $32.5 + or -. I just got that price in Chicagoland. You ought to be able to get the TL w/o NAVI for $2,000 less, especially now as we come to the end of the model year. Try McGrath Westmont. Try toward the end of the month when salesmen are hungry to meet quotas. If you have a trade, they will give you nothing. Be prepared. 2.9% financing lasts until end of July. Let me know what you do.
  • boikoboiko Posts: 82
    I see over on www.vtec.net - there is mention of a 300 HP increase, for the 2007 TL model year. This is not coming from Honda, but appears to make sense with the IS350/and new G coming..

Let the FWD/AWD/RWD....discussion begin. 8-)
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Posts: 151
    You are darn right, let it begin:

300hp in a FWD car is ridiculous and outright dangerous, I will keep on saying it untill the manufacturers get it right.

A friend of mine has a E55 AMG Mercedes, I had a chance to drive it on a 50 mile road trip which was quiet twisty.

I threw the car in those curves pretty fast and it just hugged those curves with no tailing out.The gas mileage was horrendous, but my point is, 300 HP FWD- NO NO NO.
  • Here in CA I got a quote for a TL w/o Nav. for $ 29800 including dest. but not TTL.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    I like the cupholder cover. I sue it to cover up whatever I've left in there.
    Since the dealer cost (invoice $30,999 minus holdback $999) is $30K I would think thats a pretty good deal. I know (from talking with two different dealerships) that Acura had some cars that got hail damage. They offered the cars to dealerships at a reduced price - even though the damage has been fixed. I looked at one - could not find any sign of damage - it was Silver I wanted the Gray. It was being sold for $500 less than a "new" one.

Not saying this is the case with your dealer - but it could explain why the price is LESS THAN THEIR COST.
  • No damgage whatsoever. That was for ANY TL w/o Nav. on the lot. And, I received a quote of $ 30,150 from a 2nd dealer. That was at the end of June. Here in So. CA there are over 10 Acura dealers within an hours and a half drive.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    But I thought I read somewhere that the Accord Hybrid sales are very low for some reason.

Here's the reason the Hybrid sales are low:

"Data from independent product-testing organization Consumer Reports indicates that hybrid cars get less than 60 percent of EPA estimates while navigating city streets."

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,63413,00.html

Why bother to incur the not insubstantial cost and complexity for no real gains?
    300hp in a FWD car is ridiculous and outright dangerous, I will keep on saying it untill the manufacturers get it right.

This is an absurd, emotional and unsupportable position.

The Chevy Impala SS with 303 hp and 323 ft.-lb. of torque and FWD is neither dangerous nor fraught with torque steer in any reasonable driving situation. If you are juvenile enough to try to drive it like a maniac or a race car driver at the track then you should not be attempting driving on public streets and highways in this manner anyway.

I rather think it is the manufacturers who already have it right and you who do not.
  • Call me suspicious, but I'm still not convinced that at this time of year that Invoice - holdback is dealer cost. It still seems a bit early for dealers to start selling cars at cost or even below it.

The Internet is great tool for consumers that gives us a large amount of information, but there still is not a perfect flow of information on the costs of dealers and I'm not sure there ever will be.

Beyond all that, $30K for a 2006 TL seems like a pretty sweet deal.
    Competition is always a good thing. Plus you never know what is going on with a dealership - maybe the cash is needed more than an inventory of unsold cars -like when payroll or taxes are due - or maybe Acura has some new secret dealer cash. But in general if you can buy a new car that people actually want - for less that dealer cost (invoice - holdback) it is a good deal.

I was happy to find the exact car I wanted for a few hundred under invoice - but I know there will always be someone who gets a better deal / lower price. Hard to really tell sometimes - dealers do funny things with trade in values - or bump the interest rate on the loan a few points - or add in a bunch of fees - NOT that this is the case here - but you never see a post that says - GUESS WHAT the dealer gave me $3,000 less than KBB for my trade plus wrote the loan at only 19% with a $450 doc fee!
    I have no issue with the report about 60 percent of EPA hybrid estimates provided they state what non hybrid cars get. I would guess that non hybrid cars also only get about 60% of claimed MPG by that same driver. The MPG is completely dependent on the type of driver. I have a lead foot so I probably get crap for MPG compared to what I should be getting. The article may be spot on but it is completely useless as a quote out of context.
    The article may be spot on but it is completely useless as a quote out of context.

Out of context? I think not.

The fact is that hybrid cars presently available make no economic sense. Apart from placating a few environmental crackpots and zealots, they are a losing proposition.

http://www.omninerd.com/2005/11/11/articles/41
    I'm not saying the article is wrong - what I'm saying is unless the study shows what a hybrid car gets in reality compared to the sticker MPG and what a regular car gets in reality compared to sticker MPG it has little value as an article. It would be like saying "many protestants are murderers" - I'm sure many murderers are also catholic, muslim and so on - if you don't do a blind study, a statistic is of no value.

If they said the prius has a sticker of appromately 50mpg but real tests show it actually gets 35mpg but then again a standard corolla has a sticker of 40 but actually gets 30 MPG and a cadillac has a sticker of 20 but actually gets 10 - then there is some comparison information so that the "study" has some context. And I use the term "study" loosely as the article has very little info about their statistical sampling. Very little info is given on the number of vehicles tested, the controls used to validate the data etc.
  • I agree with Boe here. While I have no interest in a hybrid car at this point, studies out of context mean nothing and this is exactly what this study is.

And as if it isn't obvious enough already by simple observation, the "environmental crackpots and zealots" may be on to something with their stances on "clean air" and "lower carbon emission".
  • alana106alana106 Posts: 11
    FWIW... I seem to remember consumer reports doing a test on the Accord. The overall mileage between the 4, V6, and V6 Hybrid were all only 1 mpg apart. If I remember correctly.

V6 23 MPG
    4 24 MPG
    Hybrid 25 MPG