Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Oh, plenty of guys have done better. A certain first year B-School student that I tutored probability and statistics to when I was a second year student (early 1980's) has managed to get himself on the top half of the Forbes 400 list. After a lengthy stint at Goldman Sachs (aka Golden Slacks) he started a hedge fund and each of the past 3-4 years has placed above George Soros on the list of the 10 highest paid hedge fund managers (good for about $500 million last year alone). And, to the best of my knowledge, he will not be joining the ranks of Conrad Black or the Enron gang types anytime soon.

But I still think paying $4 million cash for a vacation home in Jackson Hole qualifies as "very well". Hell, I'm thrilled to have my daughters' 529 accounts fully funded. ;)

As a matter of fact, anyone who can comfortably pay cash for a new Acura TL is doing pretty well in my book.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Posts: 151
    Hey Hab- do you mind saying which Hedge Fund is this? I am actually a Alternative Investment Accountant but for the past year I decided to try my hands at 1940 act funds, kind of boring but I am headed back to the Hedge Fund and Private Equity world.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Do people vacation in Jackson Hole? I saw one of their phone books some years back. Provocative cover. :blush:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,645
    I skied Jackson Hole back in college. Still the most snow I've ever seen in my whole life. Skied a lot of vertical that week. In powder! No New England "frozen granular!"

I'm gonna tear up now, Mangy Moose, Million Dollar Cowboy Saloon and a local I met who had no idea that Connecticut was a state, nor where it was located in these United States...! I had to describe it as just north of New York. New York he had heard of, but no to CT. He asked me if I carried a gun when I went into NYC... Nope, only armed with my wits and boyish charm! :blush: I guess I'm lucky to still be alive! ;)

Of course, him being a local I just assumed he wore a six-shooter...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

"As a matter of fact, anyone who can comfortably pay cash for a new Acura TL is doing pretty well in my book."

But why pay cash when AHFC was offering 2.9% financing...!

My "fill the TL tank with gas" fund is almost fully funded. I'm not doing that well... :cry: ;)

Regards,

Laurasdada, working stiff.

Billy,

Appaloosa (Dave Tepper). But I think it is closed to new investors and as of a couple of years ago, the minimum investment was $10+/- million. A little too rich for inclusion in my portfolio, unfortunately.

Good time to be in the private equity business, no?
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Posts: 151
    Never heard of that shop but he must be doing well- a $10 million requirement tells me is shop is one of the heavy hitters.Private Equity is actually keeping the Alternative world alive, that's why I am trying to get back on board.
  • gpulsegpulse Posts: 1
    Is the antenna base above the back window for The navigation and XM radio or just navigation? I am wanting to do an experiment to see what it would take to start hindering the reception by covering the base. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Greg
    GPulse@hotmail.com
    Interesting. The only thing one can discern is TL-style headlights, and the trademark Acura grill.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    Thats the second honda/acura vehicle caught testing at night... The first was the pilot a few days ago.

-cj
  • sonya25sonya25 Posts: 1
    Does anyone seem to have a problem with the 07 TL not allowing you to actually add 17.1 gallons of gas to your tank? Does anyone know why you are only able to add 13.5 gallons of gas to an empty tank and then are forced to top off the remaining 3.5 gallons in order to actually fill your tank? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    What do you mean by 'forced to top off"? Is the fuel pump shutting off at 13.5?

If you are referring to the fuel gauge on your dashboard, it is programmed (on all TLs) to read empty around 13.5 - 14 gallons used. This is so the driver does not ever come close to running empty and thus damaging the fuel injectors.

The computer does the same. It claims the miles to empty to be far less that reality. I have pushed it 75 miles beyond that. Normally I just fill it up just after it 'reads' empty. It's not a big deal to me.
    Agreed. For my '05 TL, I've "run on empty," 0 mile on the computer and the most I've put in the tank is ~15 gallons. Better safe...

Agree on the TL having a very conservative "0 miles left" reading....

... but don't try that on an MDX. I ran our 2005 to 0 miles left and was going to keep going, figuring we could make it the remianing 35 miles home, but saw a gas station with good prices. Filled it up to within 0.1 gallons of the tank capacity. :surprise:

My wife, reading the owners manual for tank capacity while I pumped past 19.5 gallons, just about hung me. And, no, the station pumps weren't off. Went back there a day later with my 911 at the 1/2 tank level and the same pump showed exactly what I expected.
    Bought the Toyo Versado GT AS tires. We'll see, much quieter so far (with very limited road time so far).

Thanks to the stock market, I'm a little further away from the XK/911/Cayman/Boxter/S5/335 'vert/CL550 etc... Not to mention retirement! :sick:

Oh, well. The TL has new shoes and is shiny. Life ain't too bad. :D

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Post #9000 - cool! :shades:
    The content or the milestone? Don't answer, I'm sure it's the cool content...

I are literate. :shades:

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    We is all leterite, of course! :P
    :surprise: Are the TL's standard tires that bad!?

-Cj
    I've had mine for 3 years. IMO they're liveable. Not the greatest wet traction. You'd have to go easy on the throttle in the rain and avoid heavy snow. And I don't go around cornering at max g-force. I certainly never considered switching out of them just for the sake of getting better tires.
    I'm pretty sure the TL uses Xenon lamps. My question; Are the Tls xenon lamps similar to the TSXs's? The TSX's have a cutoff line at a certain height. I've saw it easily. The Tl, not so much...

-cj
    My biggest complaint with the Bridgestone EL42 was snow performance: POOR!. Not so horrible that, as bodble noted, I was going to swap 'em before their time had come, but bad. Until they were somewhat worn, I hadn't noticed them being too bad in the wet. They weren't terribly quiet, either.

So, at 31,200 miles, two of the tires were pretty much done so I replaced 'em with Toyo Versados. The Toyos seem to be quieter but initially not as crisp around the corners. Note I've only had 'em for a couple of days, ~100 miles so no real conclusions yet. No rain or snow yet. Rain tomorrow. As it's early August, no snow for a few more weeks here in Boston!

1st of all, i think its the Tl.

IMO, it looks exactly the same! The headlights, the shape, the 90ºangle the rear window makes. It says TL.

I want to believe that its a freshening of the current TL because honda is holding off until they finish the specs of the RWD one. That metal bar hanging out at the end on the side, all that stuff under the rear of the car... The lexus GS meets infiniti m35 like shape... IMO RWD.

Heres a link to the pictures. Make sure that you checkout the right side of the page near the ending paragraph (b4 the readers comments) for additional photos.

If it is a freshened Tl, It would be fine as the current one is still selling very well. They probably want to release it when the 08 accord hits the showrooms. Then the TSX'll come out then the TL then a freshened RDX and MDX then the New RL. At least thats how I see it! :)

-Cj :)
  • mf15mf15 Posts: 158
    Test drove an auto, extremely nice car. But I did not expect the amount of torque steer, it is as bad as my sons 05 altima stick. The altima was bashed and bashed throughout the life of the last generation for torque steer, wonder why the TL was not, otherwise a super car.
    Most likely get one if I can get a decent price. Old Mike
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    THe TL auto has torque steer? :confuse: I don't know how you drive, but you must not put bowling balls in your shoes. :D
  • myturn4myturn4 Posts: 3
    2000 TL I bought used now has 60000 miles on it and is making a scraping sound after starting, whether just sitting in the drive way or driving. It only does it for a few minutes. This has been going on for months and now I heard it also after starting from a stopped position on a hill. Any ideas?
  • jeff442jeff442 Posts: 2
    I am looking to pickup a used TL and it I believe that the average price premium that I would pay for a 2006 is $1k. Is it worth it? I will be purchasing the 6MT version. Does the 2006 correct the torque steer problem? Anyone had a chance to compare manual tranny pre and post 2006 versions? Any other differences?
    If i remember correctly, the 6MT TL comes standard with brembo brakes and LSD(limited slip differential). This is on all TL's(04-06 + new 6MT type-s) with a manual transmission.

Personally, I would reccommend you checkout autotrader.com and carmax.com to aid your search.
  • jeff442jeff442 Posts: 2
    Well from what I gather, the 2006 model was the first to incorporate some type of compensation for the torque steer inherent in high HP front wheel drive cars. Keep in mind I will be buying a 6MT. The only reviews I've seen are basically paid advertisements that claim the 2006 "eliminates the problematic torque steert" (I find it hard to believe that it is fully eliminated). Anyone have first hand experience with a 2006-2007 vs. 2004-2005?