Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Which is what I was talking about as well. How would ice build up on the mirror without building up around the mirror? I'm talking ice, not frost. If it can melt the ice off the mirror, the ice surrounding the glass should fall away as well. That has been my case, but I guess your case varies. Sorry for the confusion.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    Well the ice won't melt in a second right? I think what they are saying is that you start the car, and drive-reverse right away when mirror would try to tilt, before heater gets a chance to really melt the ice. Of course you can also wait a few more seconds for the heated mirror to melt the ice b4 you move reverse.
  • Is it just me, or does the recently unveiled 2006 Passat look alot like a TL (rather than the aborted bubble that it was before)?
  • Where did you see it? Please post the url. Thanks!
  • I stumbled across a picture of it on the cars!cars!cars! blog page:

http://carscarscars.blogs.com/index/2004/12/2006_volkswagen.html
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    you are right, it does look like an elongated TL.....but TL proportions are just right....
  • Agreed, the side view of back end looks similar. But, the new Passat still has a bit of that bubble look, just more subdued in the 2006. Also, the edges (ala TL and BMW) take your eyes off that bubble-shaped top.
  • The owners manual says "during the first 600 miles, *avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration, *avoid hard breaking for first 200 miles, *do not change the oil until the multi-information display indicates it is needed"

I'm at 800 miles, but have way too much snow on the roads to push this car.
  • upndwnupndwn Posts: 44
    I continue to read these discussions trying to carefully vet each choice I might make. If not for the frequent vibration posts, I would be finished. Because of them, I am still in the process. Other choices, "old style" A4, TSX and way behind, 9-3.

It does seem that the vibration posts seem to be from a few irate owners, but I would be that irate were I in their position and received the responses they report from Honda. It seems implied that the 2005s have some chages aimed at fixing, but have not echangested the vibration problem, or characteristic in Honda speak. It also seems that the 6 speed reduces the incidence of the problem, but again, does not eliminate it. So, since I want a 2005 6 sp. am I safe? Can a thorough test drive further reduce/eliminate the chances of owning a TL with this characteristic?

On a more simple level, are the heated front seats

bottoms and backs or just bottoms. Someone told me that the TSX has bottoms only, another said TSX driver gets bottom and back, but front passenger

gets bottoms only. What is the situation in the TL?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Anyone think there are people spreading any misinformation pro or con about the TL via these boards?
  • phkckphkck Posts: 185
    So how much is it going to cost me for a new remote and key?

Still looking around the house so still hoping to find them.
  • Regarding the vibration issue, we did hear there was a 'change to the undercarriage' in the '05. My guess is, if Honda/Acura figured out the cause, they'll have it fixed.

Regarding heated seats, my back and butt are both warm when I sit in mine. I am an '05 TL 6 sp owner. It's a world of difference in performance vs. the automatic.

I suppose there is some misinformation on these boards, but the majority was very useful to me in my car search. I've noticed a certain amt of self-policing going on....some of the regulars call out B.S. when they see it.

Good luck in your search. All your choices are nice cars.
  • danny1878danny1878 Posts: 339
    I think there is no issue about reliability in new TL. Even with my TL'04, everything is in excelent condition. Except the tires (flat spotting a little for the first 2/3 months).

I think there are misinformations. If I had a problem with the car, I would ask for a solution from the folks at this forum or go to the dealer for more specific problems. That is what normal people do when they have a problem, right!. But the way I see it, the poster just complain and complain and then bashing and bashing. The complaints even come from people who dont even have one. If I were in that situation, I just get rid of the car and move on. Genuine complaint do exist thou, unfortunately not all of them

Sometime you get a solution from people who dont own acura but others. And the solution is "Stop buying Acura"

I believe there isnt a perfect car for everybody. IMO TL is not a perfect vehicle that can please anyone.

Good luck with you research.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    In the owner's manual, it says "Because of the sensors for the side airbag system, there is no heater in the passenger's seat-back. So I think only driver gets heated seat-bottom and seat-back.
  • phkckphkck Posts: 185
    So, the Key runs $31 and the key fob $89 plus programming.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,493
    Update on new TL: Filthy thanks to Mother Nature (snow, sleet & rain)! I've put just over 200 miles on it (I need a roadtrip!) and the average mpg is up to 19mpg. At half full, I pumped in 9 gallons of 91 octane and reset the trip computer (mpg at that time was 12!!!).

This car is MUCH quieter than my late, lamented (yes, still) '99 Chrylsler M. Biggest difference is wind noise, barely noticeable even at 60+mph. Couldn't say that about the M. Also, great smooth power delivery and I'm still overloaded with audio choices! Car is, and feels, smaller than the M, which was another trait I was looking for in my next car.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• webby1webby1 Posts: 209
    We are not allowed to post other forum addresses but I assume you visited the Acura TL 3rd generation forum ?

Lot's of info on vibration.

Regards,

Webby
  • Interesting bit about not changing the oil. Never seen that before.
  • Thanks for the update. I'll be interested to see what you have to say after break-in. Also interested in your evaluation of seat comfort v. the M, which, in my opinion, was very comfortable for big guys like me (6'-4", 230). Also curious, did you consider the TSX?
  • upndwnupndwn Posts: 44
    Thanks to all who have replied so far.

Yes, I have seen the 3rd Gen. forum. I guess the misinformation question goes to that one too. I just seems a little over the top, maybe because the unfortunate unsatisfied owners hang around a long time complaining again and again.

I do still feel for those who have legitimate gripes. I wish everyone could be as happy as laurasdad.
  • I think the point is the initial engine oil is specifically designed to 'condition'/break-in the engine. Changing prematurely the first time might not be good for the long term health of your TL. That's the message I got from the salesman.