Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I'd bet it's part of the residue from the pre-delivery protective cover that they put on new cars. The dealer should be able to clean that off. I have not notice anything like that on my TL.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    Has anybody on this board replaced their cabin air filter? If so, where is it located and is it difficult to replace? If possible please describe how to replace the cabin filter. I found nothing in the owners manual explaining this procedure. Thanks.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    highender,

"Why is front wheel drive that limiting in terms of HP usage?"

I thought I saw from a previous post that you own a Porsche Cayenne (Turbo?) and have considered some other "high-end" cars, as your name suggests. If that's true, you are asking me to explain why FWD is limiting in terms of horsepower / performance?? I think the engineers at Porsche could answer that one better than I ever could hope to.

Speaking of whcih, I am considering a bit of a splurge on a 2005 911S Cabriolet. That would make the TL a lot easier to live with as an everyday sedan. Unfortunately, it would make my wallet about $100k lighter with nominal options. I expect I'll come to my senses before putting down a deposit.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    Hi habitat:

Yes, I do have a cayenne TT. But I am not an engineer....so I am at a loss to explain the apparent lack of spirited hp of TL. I mean, 270 hp is great...and we love the car...I know that there is a movement among car makers to go back to rear wheel drive....but I think FWD is good, and will pull the car up in snow country better , with less chance of sliding.

I just don't see why FWD Horsepower has to be less powerful than RWD horsepower....I mean engineering wise...that's all.

Its always good to talk to you.... :-)
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Posts: 106
    a quick google search turned up this link which has a decent explanation.

http://www.corollaperformance.com/TechInfo/RWD.html
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    Because over about 250 hp you start to get torque steer where the torque driving the wheels tries to turn the wheels. There may also be an issue with the CV joints or FWD tranny as to how much power they can take.

Not to mention that RWD vehicles have a better inherent front/rear weight balance. Hard to get a FWD car with 50/50 balance.
    Highender,

Giovanni's link to the BMW analyis of FWD vs. RWD is an excellent, easy to understand analysis for us non-engineers. The rear weight shift under acceleration explains a lot of why FWD is inferior to RWD for hard acceleration.

With 270 hp at the front wheels, and revving up my 6-speed to about 6,000 rpm, I could just about spin all of the rubber off my HPT tires if I attempted to keep up with a 235 hp BMW 330i from a dead start. The TL may have the BMW beat in measured horsepower, just not in "useable" horsepower/torque. Come to think of it, I am not sure there are any decent sized FWD cars capable of 0-60 in under 6 seconds.

All of which makes it amusing to me to see Billyperks running around looking to race all takers with his FWD, automatic transmission Acura TLS.

The BMW analysis also explains why the 2005 911 S with 355 hp spanks the Corvette C6 with 400 hp and gobs of torque. The RWD, rear engine setup is about as good as it gets with respect to maximizing bang for the horsepower buck.
  • billyperksbillyperks Posts: 449
    Maybe I am just a darn good driver. :)

But I will stick this- the 1990 FWD Maxima cannot keep up with the 2003 AUTO TLS.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Posts: 294
    Just want to say that I love my car. It's comfortable, safe (drives great in rain), fast and overall amazing! I've had it for about a month now (bought it used), and at first, I thought the whole car was overshadowed by the amazing nav system. The voice recognition and integration with climate control and radio is fantastic! Only in the past week have I been able to focus on the car's ride, which is great. Sporty, but comfortable (though I might go for cushier tires when these lose traction). Shifting is a pleasure, fantastic handling, and even if it's not the fastest car in its class (b/c of engine placement, fwd, hp or whatever), it's got more than enough power to get me in the correct lane at the last minute. This car is well-built, safe & fun.
    I bet you are a good driver.

I'm still dissapointed that I didn't take my S2000 to "Friday's at the Track" at Summit Point Raceway for professional track driving instruction. However, it is my understanding that, after exposure to such an event, it would be virtually impossible to buy anything but a rear wheel drive car.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    Anyone out that know if Acura "usually' makes any modifications (maybe minor ones) for the 3rd year of a model style?

I am talking about things like slightly changing the front grill or front end, color choices, or any other minor modifications inside or out of the car.

In other words is it business as usuall to make changes in the 3rd year?

Thanks.
    You may see some minor cosmetic changes in the 3rd year, and an earnest refreshingly in the 4th year when serious improvements take place. Although for the TL, I'm not sure how much hardware you can add to it without robbing RL sales.
    I'd expect that when they do a full "refreshing," as you call it, they'll add automatic headlights, all-wheel drive (as an option) and incorporate traffic reports into the nav system.
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    I seriously doubt they will add AWD as it will cannibalize RL sales. Especially if they add the real-time traffic to the navigation system.

We'll see.
    Guess we'll see. I think the G35 added awd, and I think the TL will do it to keep up, and maybe draw in some anti-fwd drivers. As far as cannibalizing the RL, I se your point, though I think if the TL as the more sporty and the RL as more luxurious. The RL would still have more luxury features (I think). I know your response already - having more might not be enough to justify the added expense.

It might depend on what they intend to do with the RL in 2005/2006. Maybe they'll add a v8 engine to it, and upgrade the nav to recognize spoken street names? I understand the M35/45 nav recognizes spoken street names.
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Posts: 106
    A V8 in the TL? I doubt that will never happen, I don't believe Honda even uses a V8 in any of it's vehicles.
    I actually think the TL would get a hyhrid version before it would get AWD, since the Accord has a hybrid. But V8 is definitely out of the question. If they offered a V8 in the RL, then maybe, just maybe, the TL would get the SH-AWD system.

But auto-headlights, ventilated seats, keyless access, 8-way power passenger seat, etc would be more likely upgrades.
    I was talking about adding a v8 to the RL, not TL. If they had a v8 in the RL, that would further distinguish it from the TL, so they could upgrad the TL in year 4 or 5 and not take away from RL sales.

Good point about Honda needing to create a new engine to do this.
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    What have 04' and '05 (if any) TL owners been charged for the "B" level service by their dealers?

According to the manual, it's pretty much the same as the "A" service except there are inspections.

Thanks in advance.
  • shs111shs111 Posts: 39
    My B level service just cost $88 at Boston Acura.