Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts on XM. Here are mine if anyone is interested.
    My wife and daughter prefer a 'fresh' playlist so that includes all the top 20 junk. Daughter really likes the feature how the XM faceplate shows who the artist is and song title...which means she can go ahead and hunt as ask me to get more CDs...go figure. Wife likes the concept that there is no commercials...so that her 8 mile commute to work isn't where she catches one song. So for my wife's car...going to renew at $6.41 a month....why not. Another toy for now where I can always cancel and get a refund.

Me....I have an extensive library of CDs and content. I also have a MP3 player...so I can play a host of songs. Only complaint as you have heard over and over like a broken record...is that there is no direct mp3 hookup....so it gets channeled through FM reception...which defeats the digital quality. So my primary source of music will be CDs! Yes....we have the ability to have six discs loaded in the dash...and that will be just fine for me. I also find the quality of sound is better from CDs vs XM. I also am getting annoyed by how XM drops out when under a bridge...that sucks (in many way...I cannot wait for the day that my XM subscription expires so I don't feel guilty for not using the free service).

So...XM for wife and kid. Me...CDs!

??? Does anybody know if they will continue to offer special discounts when my current one year $77 deal expires or do they only throw the bone once?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Daddy, what are "cassettes"? :P :P
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,613
    LOL...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• dumontdumont Posts: 15
    For about 50 bucks you can buy a program called Ulead Burn Now (there are others that are more expensive or you could find some freeware on the net but far more complicated) and have upto 99 full CD quality songs in each of the 6 slots so almost 600 songs. To me that beats an MP3 player. Of course if you have an Ipod or something I can understand you'd rather just plug that in. But I don't :P
    Dumont
    That does beat the MP3 player that isn't a direct hook-up as I have now...and being in a digital format. One thing is that the songs are not indexed and in play lists.

However...tell me and others more about Ulead burn. How is it different from other burners and what option to get the 99 songs? And how does it lay it in a DVD-A layout when the source is not in the format?
    It is a drawback that all 99 tracks are in one directory and our TL's don't show the files names like MP3 players. There are other programs that allow you to have different folders so you can have separate "albums" but again you can't see the names... Ulead will rip CD files direct to DVDA or even MP3 files to DVDA.
    Have a look at their website http://www.ulead.com/bn/runme.htm and also this
    thread on Acurazine website (great place for TL lovers and haters) http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111785
    ok..another dumb question. To rip the files to maximize capacity...do I need a DVD burner drive or a CD-RW?

Any noticiable degregation in sonic quality?

Thanks for this wonderful tip.
    Hi Delmar1

Yes you definitely need a DVD burner. I would imagine as long as it is not an older model it should be compatible with DVDA burning software. You may want to check the software companies website or even Acurazine where some people have commented about workable burners. I have a year old Sony computer and it worked fine. There is absolutely no difference in sound quality burning CD to DVDA, as for MP3 to DVDA it will of course depend on the quality of the MP3 file. I have done it with a few different size MP3 files and the quality on the DVDA came out just as good as the original MP3.

Dumont
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Howard is one of the reasons I subscribed to XM and bought the stock. Sirius paying $500 million for a foul mouthed shock jock isn't exactly my idea of a good business decision. And I confess as a "dada" myself, I have a low tollerance for even accidentally scrolling though his vulgarities with one of my kids in the car. Mind you, years ago thought the "The Greaseman" was pretty funny, but it seems that Howard's appeal is limited to ....... nevermind, I won't go there at the risk of offending someone, and possibly the Host.

Oh, and the answer to someone's question about what are cassettes - they are that new improved format I'm going to try out as soon as I get rid of of my 8-Tracks.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,590
    Casettes are what I used to record Paul McCartney songs from the band he was in before Wings. Can't recall the name...

I will admit that 8 Tracks were (just) before my time...!

"Son, you sound like a broken record!"

"Daddy, what's a record?"

"Pass the Geritol."

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    Vinyl is best, but a turntable is difficult to install in your car. :P
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    In that case may I suggest a reel-to-reel tape deck! :P
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    Ah yes, I still have an Abba 8-track in my closet. Those were the days...and only a fast forard button... the simplicity of life. :shades:

Getting back to the TL sounds....I love the idea of burning MP3's to the DVDa. Who needs XM when you have 600 of your own best hand-picked songs on tap?
  • I'm a '05 TL owner for about three weeks now. I'll most definitely renew the contract after 3 months. I have it in the Oddysey too.

I've had XM since 10/03 and really like it. I bought their stock at $18 and change but sold at $26.49.

I have two small kids and we listen to XM kids all the time. I actually like listening to it too. Often times I'll have already dropped them off and I notice that I'm still listening to that channel.

Radio Disney blows. There are too many commercials and their playlist tries to make a little slut out of your daughters.

I'm also a talk radio guy and there's plenty to offer.

Sure you get it breaking up under an overpass but it's not often and I get the same thing with AM radio near power lines.

I just wish it had an easy mp3 hookup. I'll admit if that was easier I'd listen to my own stuff a lot more.
    Excellent post!!

If it breaks up, so what, it is not that often really. I find the comedy channel alone worth the monthly fee. :P
    If it breaks up, so what

It kinda sucks for me as I have three opportunities for it to go dead within 8 miles to work. One opportunity is where there is a long light wait.

As I mentioned....going to go with a renewal for the wife and kid. Me...load up the six discs. Unfortunately I won't be able to burn a dvd as I only have a cd-rw at home. Hmmm...might have to ask my I.T. guys to upgrade my work one as it is mission critical I get an upgrade...especially since I do sign off on all the capex :D
    Sorry, delmar. I AM one of your IT guys at work. Too bad I bought a TL and participate in these Forums or ya might have gotten away with it! As it is, I'll have to notify HR and Legal... ;)

Ok, I'm just an IT guy somewhere with a TL who participates in these Forums and doesn't even have a cd-rw. Had an mp3 player, evil wife took it away from me. Good thing she prefers her RX to my TL!

I have a DVD player on my computer, does that mean I can burn a DVD?
    Sure. A little gas or lighter fluid and a match and voila, burning DVD!

Only if your PC has a DVD writer, Nick. If it is DVD-ROM, no luck.

• kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    This is why I enjoy reading the posts on this forum and keep returning. Not only do I learn more about cars, audio and other technology (all at the same time), I am also entertained. :shades: ;)