Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• cjb10350cjb10350 Posts: 6
    just got a 2002 tl (eternal blue) what a great car. leased it at curry acura in scarsdale, ny. sales guy named eddy. $27,710 plus 450 bank fee. $383 a month ($414 including tax) very nice guy and nice dealership.
  • ynick79yynick79y Posts: 2
    hey i read ur post. i am going to curry acura in scarsdale ToMORROW to try and haggle a cheaper price if i can on a type s with navi.
    what u think is a good price??
  • Looking to buy a 2001 TL w/o nav thinking that with the 2002's out now should get a good price. Does anyone think that 25K is probable?? Any thoughts on whats a fair price now???
  • sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontPosts: 157
    I hope you have good luck at Curry Acura. I'm really mad at the other Acura of Bedford Hills, Northern Westchester's other Acura dealer.
    5 weeks ago my wife backed my 2001 TL into a rock at the end of our driveway. She was not going fast, but the right wheel was caved and it look like only the lower suspension was broken, so I had it towed to the dealer rather than a body shop, since there was only a scratch on the bumper and I assumed they would do the work. WRONG! Apparently they farmed it out to a body shop who is doing his best to gouge the insurance company since the adjuster is going back for his FOURTH visit. Every week the car will be ready Friday, then Thursday they find another problem.
    Since I took it to the dealer they should be the ones handling it, but they do not even return phone calls! They just gave me the body guy's number and told me to deal with it.
    Maybe I'll use the dealer for routine maintainance again, but never anything out of the ordinary.

2007 Miata, 2010 BMW 535xiT, 2010 GMC Sierra SLE, 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon

• rickslickrickslick Posts: 27
    I own a 01 TL, black, and I read post from owners that said the use a different cloth or soap so that it won't show those ugly swirl marks in the paint. What's it called and is it something I can buy from any parts store??
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    they are pompous morons.

One time I stopped by to see if I could test drive a TL.

The salesguy asked if I was interested in sitting down and talking about bying a TL. I sad "no, I just want to test drive it". Then he said "If you don't want to buy it, then I don't have time for this".
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Pardon the interruption - I want to explain the name change of this discussion.

Since we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. Since this discussion can continue as long as anyone has anything to say about 3.2 TLs there is no longer a need for the "Part 5" that has been included in the discussion name. Down the road, that could confuse our newer members so I have removed it.

I've altered the name slightly of the original restyled 3.2 TL discussion in the Archives to differentiate it from this active one.

Please continue...

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • lgtltdlgtltd Posts: 8
    Did I get a good price on my non-nav 2002 TL today? $27,800, including destination and mud flaps. Dealer also offered all remaining 2001 at Invoice.
  • antonkantonk Posts: 19
    How do you suppose the 0-60 numbers of these two cars differ in a street start (not the kind they do at Motortrend)? The fastest start for the Maxima is 7.4 sec (auto), and the TL - you guys say 6.7, Acura Canada site says 8.2.

So what do you think would win the 0-60 STREET run without any fancy techniques?
  • robnisrobnis Posts: 78
    My wife has a late model (99 Max GLE with automatic) Nissan and it is rated 0-60 at 8.1. The older Max may be a bit quicker. However, the 2002 TL is in the roughlt 6.8 sec range. I have seen a variety of times on both vehicles. If the Max were stick it would be close, but you indicate both are automatic so the TL would win.

BTW, both are great cars.
    Yeah, they are both great cars, that's why my dad wants to buy a TL for himself, and leave our Maxima SE for my mom
  • dlg8dlg8 Posts: 4
    Just checking in. I've had my 2000 TL for more than a year and it is absolutely the best car I've ever owned. The dealership (Castle Acura in New Castle, Delaware) has been great. I get free oil changes and they just sent me a coupon for a free wash, wax, and interior cleaning. The TL handles more than well enough for me. I'm just surprised I have not gotten a speeding ticket. I can hardly wait until I can justify trading it in on a TL-S.

I'm 6'2" and I have plenty of head and knee room which was one of the reasons that I selected the TL. Does scholl know that the seat has an up/down adjustment?
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    Actually, the Maxima with the Automatic is a total dog....the TL would humiliate it in a street start. The Manual Maxima however is quick and would be comparable to the regular 3.2TL. Since the 3.2TL does not come in a manual version, we don't have its performance figures to compare against.

Motortrend had rated the 2000 3.2TL at 6.7Secs 0-60 while "Road and Track" rated the 1999 3.2TL at 7.2Secs 0-60. It is commonly accepted that the 1999 TL with the 4-speed transmission and the non-free flowing intake manifold was slower than the 2000 3.2TL by about 0.50 secs 0-60 - a lot more difference in the quarter mile....so if we were to extrapolate the 1999 R&T test to a 2000 3.2TL, it would take it right to 6.7Secs again. Car&Driver, who have pretty conservative testers rated the 2000 3.2TL at 7.2Secs 0-60, which is the slowest recorded time for the 2000 TL from any major publication.

Here are the acceleration figures from the comparison test done on the 2000 3.2TL, 2000 Lexus ES300, 2000 Infiniti I-30 (which is similar to the Automatic Maxima) and 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora V6 (Motortrend - June, 2000 issue)....

---------Acura 3.2TL-----Lexus ES300-----Infiniti I30--
    0-30------- 2.5 ------------ 2.8 -------------------- 2.9
    0-40------- 3.7------------ 4.0 -------------------- 4.1
    0-50------- 5.1------------ 5.9--------------------- 5.9
    0-60------- 6.7------------ 7.9--------------------- 7.9
    0-70------- 9.0------------ 10.1-------------------- 10.0
    0-80------ 11.5------------ 13.3-------------------- 13.0
    0-90------ 14.3------------ 17.0-------------------- 16.6
    Qtrmile--- 15.2@93.1 ----- 16.0@87.5 --------- 16.0@88.5

As you notice, the other cars did not stand a chance from right off idle to much higher speeds....the Acura always held the upper-hand....when compared to the 1999 TL, transmission and intake modifications in the 2000 TL improved low-end torque and mid-range power, even though peak hp/torque numbers remained the same. Of course, with the advent of the 3.2TL-s, all these figures have been bettered......

Also, the Acura (EPA classification - midsize) is heavier than both the Lexus ES300 (EPA Classification - Compact) and the Infiniti I-30 (EPA Classification - mid-size) yet has better mileage figures (better hwy figure than the I-30).

Mileage of Acura 3.2TL: 19city/29hwy (3483lbs)
    Mileage of Lexus ES300: 19city/26hwy (3351lbs)
    Mileage of Infiniti I30: 20city/28hwy (3194lbs)

(The Acura weighs 3494lbs with the Navigation)

Later...AH
    Maxima is not a total dog, in fact it's very fast, especially for its horsepower rating. But with high torque, its acceleration is good at any RPM's, whereas the Acura should excel in the highs. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Maxima was quicker in a street start than the TL.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Posts: 130
    Can anyone tell me how the TL's handle in snow? How about 3-6" snow?? I haven't justified giving up my 4X4 SUV for an Acura TL-S because I'm worried about winter but really want the TL-S.
    Hey, if I can drive a 96 Avenger with 14" bald tires with 140,000 miles on it in 6" snow, then why not a TL-S? It'd be a shame to get it dirty though...
  • yupyupyupyupyupyup Posts: 16
    must be an Acura salesman.
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    Nope ! Just a totally satisfied owner. I have owned my 2000 TL for almost a year now. I have a Toyota Camry too, in addition to the TL. Of course, these cars are way different from each other.

The cars are great even though the dealer experience is definitely not even in the same league as Lexus. The salesmen are positively sleazy and of the old-school...

antonk:

If you look at the power graph of the Acura, there is about 200 lbs/feet of torque in the Acura, almost a little off idle, even though the peak Torque happens at about 4700 rpm. Also, in the earlier acceleration statistics, you will notice that the Infiniti I-30 (similar to the Maxima) is EXACTLY 300 lbs LIGHTER than the Acura (with Nav - the test was done with the NAV version), yet is thrashed in 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60, 0-70, 0-80, 0-90 and also the quarter mile....even though on paper, the Infiniti has got a better Power/Torque NUMBER....street starts account for 0-30, 0-40, 0-50...acceleration of a car is not dependent on the peak HP/Torque numbers (which are entertaining but will not serve any purpose in day to day driving) but on the way the power appears all along the power band and also how it reaches the ground (via the transmission)....

Later...AH
    I sure hope you guys are right about the Acura. I thought it was fast, but some numbers showed otherwise. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be slower than the Maxima, and I think it's faster. I guess Acura Canada was off by like a second for the TL's 0-60's
  • varmitvarmit Posts: 1,125
    jmtreetop - I haven't had mine long enough to become an expert on TL driving in the snow, but here are my impressions...

Too much torque! (How often do you read that?) It's much to easy to generate wheelspin, especialy since we're dealing with an automatic. The traction control engages frequently in slick conditions and it works well. I just wish it didn't have to.

Otherwise, it's pretty stable. Snow tires would help, but it can hold its own without them. The SportShift mode allows me to drive a gear or two above normal once you get going and the car is balanced well. Defrosters and such all work well, so visibility isn't an issue.

Dunno what your budget looks like, but the MDX might be a good compromise.